Visit site
✟186,956.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I checked Saudi Arabia on the Happiness Report, and what do ya know—27th! It’s just ahead of Spain (28th) and Italy (30th). Wow, I wonder how many Americans would suspect that high of a rating for that country! Given that fact, I suppose migration there would make sense.

Happiness reports are often misleading. Saudi Arabia, the wealthy are polled generally as the regular people are ignored.

Also, Saudi Arabia doesn't allow any religion other that Islam. In fact, if you show up with a Bible in your suitcase, the customs agent will confiscate it and destroy it.
If you're not Islam, happiness isn't going to be on your radar there.

I would say that many parts of the world outside of Western Europe and North America aren’t doing too shabby either.

Then why aren't people immigrating to those Shangri-La's ? You're just trying to
defend a defenseless ideology.

And while you think things could be far worse, I suggest they could be far better if the rich/corporations actually paid anything approaching a “fair share.” But I doubt this new administration is going to go after his own constituency! (in fairness, the rich/corporations also fund Republicans..)

We would not be where we are today had Western Culture not grown to evolve into the
life we have. Sure, growth is always painful, but it was far less painful for Americans than it was for Russians in the Soviet Union.

BTW, I worked with three Jewish women who immigrated out of the Soviet Union in 1979. They all put in for the Israel and the USA as their place of preference. Only one got into the US on first try. The other two, one ended up in Israel than the US, the other got to Austrailia then to the US. In all, they wanted to come to the USA where they could have dual citizenship with the US and Israel.

Yes, that does tend to happen during periods of affluence. If you’ve ever read thru the OT, there is a fairly consistent pattern that emerged for the Israelites—when they were “fat and happy” (prosperous) they tended to feel entitled and forget God.

And it has happened here in the US, but not only do people not believe in God, but the despise those who do and those who practice their religion.

Listen to Ben Shapiro, a devote Jew how he's been treated by the left.

Upvote 0

Magnanimity

Dec 13, 2020
Atlanta
✟24,738.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Then why aren't people immigrating to those Shangri-La's ? You're just trying to
defend a defenseless ideology.

Didn’t you say many places high on the happiness reports are too cold? That would be something that minimizes migration. :tearsofjoy: But seriously though, people are immigrating to some countries that are high on the Happiness Report. All 3 of the countries you mentioned (US, Germany and Saudi Arabia) are in the top 30 on the Report.

Happiness reports are often misleading. Saudi Arabia, the wealthy are polled generally as the regular people are ignored.

What are you basing this on?

We would not be where we are today had Western Culture not grown to evolve into the
life we have.

Let me reiterate where we are today in the US: the top ten richest persons have a combined net worth of one trillion dollars (see Forbes.com) while there is an estimated 10% (thirty-something million) who live at or below the poverty line (see 2019 census data).

Or, we could note that in 2015 the top 62 wealthiest people in the world had a combined net worth of the lower half of the world’s population (3.5B people). You can tell yourself all day long that these are acceptable statistics, but our religion constantly beckons us to assist the poor, the vulnerable and the marginalized. The rich getting richer while the poor are ignored and continue to struggle in their poverty is not ok. It never has been ok, it never will be ok. Vast wealth inequality doesn’t help your neighbor and it doesn’t help you. It is entirely out of step with the Golden Rule and the imperative to love our neighbors as ourselves.

Listen to Ben Shapiro, a devote Jew how he's been treated by the left.

Shapiro cracks me up. I like him a lot. He and Michael Medved are about the only folks on the political right that I can tolerate listening to (I prefer Medved). But they aren’t opposed by the left bc of their Jewishness (most Jewish people are politically on the left in the US, according to Gallup polls) but bc they are so very conservative in their politics..

Upvote 0