In fairness, a thread Catholics should know about...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shiloh Raven

May 14, 2016
Texas
✟228,180.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
First and foremost, this is a Catholic forum. Non-Catholic visitors to this forum aren't allowed to teach against or debate Catholic doctrine in this forum or in any of the other Catholic sub-forums on this site. For this forum's rules, please read this forum's Statement of Purpose, which clearly states...

Visitors are welcome to share and participate in discussions with us. However, visitors must do so respectfully. This forum does not exist as a place for visitors to come and debate contentiously over why they disagree with us. If you are are a visitor and you would like to learn more about our viewpoints or beliefs, or perhaps you just want to understand how we feel about a specific issue, then you are welcome. But this is not a place to teach us the errors of our ways.

AND the House Rules...

All posts within this faith community must adhere to the site wide rules found here (Community Rules). In addition, if you are not a member of this faith group, you may not debate issues or teach against it's theology. You may post in fellowship. Active promotion of views contrary to the beliefs of this group will be considered off topic.

There is also the site wide Congregational Forum Restrictions Rule...

Members who do not truly share the core beliefs and teachings of a specific congregational forum may post in fellowship or ask questions, but they may not teach or debate within the forum. - Terms of Service and Christian Forum Rules.

So, now that these specific faith group rules have been pointed out ahead of time, there should be no rude interruptions or attacks against the beliefs of the Catholic Church in this forum.

I decided to start this thread to give the Catholics in this specific forum, and Catholics in other Catholic sub-forums, the opportunity to defend their faith against the accusations in this particular thread I came across while I was on the site's main forum page. I would be than willing to discuss the accusations of that thread here in this thread, which would be within the confines of the Catholic faith group rules, where no personal attacks against the Catholic faith would be allowed.

Blasphemies Taught By the Roman Catholic Church

Shiloh Raven

May 14, 2016
Texas
✟228,180.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Well, that thread has been closed and removed, so I suppose my thread here is now moot. However, I'm still interested in learning how to defend the Catholic faith and the beliefs of the Catholic Church.

I guess a change of pace is needed for this thread now. I would like to say that I'm willing and open to learn how to defend the Catholic faith. So, please feel free to give me any suggestions or direction.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Tigger45

Pray like your life depends on it!
Site Supporter
Aug 24, 2012
E. Eden
✟1,270,986.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
Personally I hate all of the anti-Catholic threads. I don’t mind an occasional discussion about biblical perspectives but when I see a thread titled in such a way to show disrespectful intentions from the get go, I typically steer clear of them.

Upvote 0

Colin

Senior Veteran
Jun 9, 2010
✟122,403.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK - SNP
I guess a change of pace is needed for this thread now. I would like to say that I'm willing and open to learn how to defend the Catholic faith. So, please feel free to give me any suggestions or direction.

That's quite a big task you have set us there , Emerald Flame .

How to defend the Catholic faith ?

Firstly , gain knowledge of what Catholics actually believe , and not of what non-Catholics sometimes wrongly claim they believe .

Also be wary of what some Catholics claim to be Catholic teaching , when in reality it isn't .

You should feel free to post questions about areas of the Catholic faith you want to know about . And no question is a wrong question .

It ought to be quite informative both for yourself and for those responding to your queries . These things are a two-way thing . The one answering the question becomes more enlightened as does the one asking it . It should be fun .

It's also fair to expect people giving answers to be able to back up what they say by their ability to refer to official magisterial sources .

Then , of course , there is the Catechism of the Catholic Church which is good to have in paper form , but is also available online......http://archeparchy.ca/wcm-docs/docs/catechism-of-the-catholic-church.pdf

Upvote 0

tadoflamb

no identificado
Feb 20, 2007
Diocese of Tucson
✟74,331.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Thanks for looking out for us Emerald Flame.

In the bible, our first pope tells us to be prepared 'to give a defense of the hope within us'. As such, I believe every Catholic should be able to give a defense of the faith. For those who would wish to engage in full-on Catholic apologetics I would recommend first attending mass as often as possible. This helps with spiritual stamina, as well as provided special insights. Second, I would recommend getting very acquainted with the Sacred Scriptures and after that, as Colin suggested, know the Catechism as well as documents from the Church councils.

Anyone wishing to give a defense of the Catholic faith should also be prepared for what they will be confronted with. I didn't see the offending thread in question, but I imagine it was a litany of complaints against the Catholic Church laced with a good amount of misinformation. Never, under any circumstances, should a Catholic trust a non-Catholic's understanding of Church teaching. As I like to say, "If what you say about the Catholic Church were true, I wouldn't want to be Catholic either!"

For the record, I don't consider myself an apologist, but I can give a defense of the hope that's within me.

There are a handful of very good Catholic apologists here on CF. I can let you know my favorites privately if you like.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.