In Eastern Orthodoxy - What happened to the Keys given to Peter?

All4Christ

✙ The Handmaid of God Laura ✙
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
Mar 11, 2003
PA
Visit site
✟1,021,660.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Interesting thought about the keys of Peter...Peter established Antioch before Rome. The Chair of Peter does not belong to Rome alone. Traditionalist Catholics still celebrate the two feast days for the Chair of Peter.

• Informative
Reactions: seashale76
Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,466,215.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
they were given to his successors, which are all of the rightly believing bishops to this day. and this also means they still reside first and foremost with St Peter and the Lord Who gave them to him.

Upvote 0

FaithW

Oct 4, 2016
usa
✟18,426.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
they were given to his successors, which are all of the rightly believing bishops to this day. and this also means they still reside first and foremost with St Peter and the Lord Who gave them to him.
Do you believe that the keys were given to the 11 Apostles also?

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,466,215.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married

in a sense, yes, since they followed the confession and example of St Peter.

Upvote 0

prodromos

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 28, 2003
Sydney, Straya
✟1,181,173.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Several Church Fathers state that "binding and loosing" is "the keys"

Upvote 0

prodromos

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 28, 2003
Sydney, Straya
✟1,181,173.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Why didn't Jesus say He was giving the keys to all the Apostles then? He singled out Peter, the rock.
Peter is a "type" of the Apostles, and their successors the bishops.

Reactions: seashale76
Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,466,215.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Why didn't Jesus say He was giving the keys to all the Apostles then? He singled out Peter, the rock.

because Peter was the leader, Christ's right hand man, and the first to clearly make such a confession. the Bible makes only states that John is the beloved disciple. does that mean the others are not beloved of Christ? of course not. just because the Scripture makes a point about a specific Apostle, that does not mean it only applies to that Apostle alone.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

FaithW

Oct 4, 2016
usa
✟18,426.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
because Peter was the leader, Christ's right hand man, and the first to clearly make such a confession. the Bible makes only states that John is the beloved disciple. does that mean the others are not beloved of Christ? of course not. just because the Scripture makes a point about a specific Apostle, that does not mean it only applies to that Apostle alone.
I guess where do you get the belief from? Is it official teaching from the Orthodox Church?

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,466,215.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I guess where do you get the belief from? Is it official teaching from the Orthodox Church?

since the largest number of Fathers said Peter's confession is the rock, the understanding is every bishop who follows in that confession is the successor of Peter.

Upvote 0

seashale76

Unapologetic Iconodule
Dec 29, 2004
✟173,524.00
Country
United States
Faith
Melkite Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Before I get started, I think it is important to reiterate here that St. Peter founded more than one See.

I rarely jump on this bandwagon- but since it was brought up here at TAW- I'll add my two cents. This is 100% my opinion and my own views and does not necessarily represent the views of the Orthodox Church.

If I were Catholic I would be extremely troubled and worried that the 'successors of Peter' in the 20th and 21st centuries have rendered their faith unrecognizable from previous centuries by deviating from it to a ridiculous degree. As one example of many, I have been present at a Catholic baptism that I was genuinely concerned wasn't even a valid Christian baptism. Evangelical Protestant baptisms I've been to were more comprehensible. Do your altars even have relics anymore? My priest once told me about another priest he knew that rescued a reliquary set out with the trash when passing a Catholic monastery not long after Vatican II. The things I've seen and read from Catholic sources current and former suggest that there were/are egregious abuses and sins going on at the very top of the Vatican.

Unlike some Orthodox- I actually believe that- despite the Great Schism- God has worked through various people in the West too. Mainly I believe this because God desires ALL to come to salvation. Only God knows who all are in His Church. I especially think it was God's will to use the Spanish and that Guadalupe was real- because an entire continent of pagans that were involved in human sacrifice and demon worship were converted to Christ. I'm even willing to give Fatima a pass- because it was all about converting people back to Christ- those that totally abandoned God at the advent of Communism- but I believe that this warning was as much for the West as for the East at the time- a call to repentance. Despite everything- God continued to use the Catholic Church- and then they essentially spat on it all at Vatican II.

Upvote 0

Knee V

It's phonetic.
Sep 17, 2003
South Bend, IN
✟100,823.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Keys lock and unlock. The very next line after Christ "gives Peter the keys" is that whatever he binds on earth will be bound in heaven, and whatever he looses on earth will be loosed in heaven. And that is exactly what a key does.

That same language is used two chapters later. Whatever any one of the Apostles binds on earth will be bound in heaven, and whatever they loose on earth will be loosed in heaven. That can only done with a "key".

The "keys", of course, are a metaphor, and I think people read too much into it.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

buzuxi02

Veteran
May 14, 2006
New York
✟212,454.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Peter was the spokesman for the apostles, he spoke on behalf of all the disviples.
Jesus asked all 12 disciples collectively who do the people say he is. Then he asked the collective whole who do they think he is. So Peter answered for them. This is why St.
John Crysostom called Peter the "mouth of the apostles".

Upvote 0

buzuxi02

Veteran
May 14, 2006
New York
✟212,454.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Were they given to his successors in Rome after his death?

Where are they now after the schism?

Any right believing bishop with apostolic succession is endowed with whatever graces Peter may have been given. It has nothing to do with any geographic location or city. In fact Pope Gregory the Great says the church of the romans are disciples of Paul not Peter.
St John Chrysostom taught that anyone who beholds the confession of Peter beholds Peter himself.
Origen taught that anyone who professes the confession of Peter is a rock and is a Peter, both bishops and laity.
St. Cyprian of Carthage warns schismatics not to separate from his Church as there are not two chairs of Peter, the chair only belongs to the presidents and synod's of each local church not to the parallel imposter bishops.

Upvote 0

Goatee

Jesus, please forgive me, a sinner.
Aug 16, 2015
Under a Rock. Wales, UK
✟77,615.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Divorced
Peter was the spokesman for the apostles, he spoke on behalf of all the disviples.
Jesus asked all 12 disciples collectively who do the people say he is. Then he asked the collective whole who do they think he is. So Peter answered for them. This is why St.
John Crysostom called Peter the "mouth of the apostles".

Your way of skewing the truth I guess

Upvote 0