In COVID-19 study on 80 patients, Hydroxychloroquine and Azithromycin shown to be effective cure

NightHawkeye

Work-in-progress
Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2010
✟803,537.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Coronavirus cure: French researchers completed new additional study on 80 patients, results show a combination of Hydroxychloroquine and Azithromycin to be effective in treating COVID-19

In 80 in-patients receiving a combination of hydroxychloroquine and azithromycin, the team found a clinical improvement in all but one 86 year-old patient who died, and one 74-year old patient still in intensive care unit. The team also found that, by administering hydroxychloroquine combined with azithromycin, they were able to observe an improvement in all cases, except in one patient who arrived with an advanced form, who was over the age of 86, and in whom the evolution was irreversible, according to a new paper published today in IHU Méditerranée Infection.
In a cohort of 191 Chinese inpatients, of whom 95% received antibiotics and 21% received an association of lopinavir and ritonavir, the median duration of fever was 12 days and that of cough 19 days in survivors, with a 28% case-fatality rate (18),” the team said
.​

• Optimistic
Reactions: Dave G.

DamianWarS

Follower of Isa Al Masih
Site Supporter
May 15, 2008
✟858,457.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
In a cohort of 191 Chinese inpatients, of whom 95% received antibiotics and 21% received an association of lopinavir and ritonavir, the median duration of fever was 12 days and that of cough 19 days in survivors, with a 28% case-fatality rate (18),” the team said.

if the cohort was 191 inpatients and 28% died (which is a really high number) then this would mean 53 people died, yet if I understand the quote correctly it indicates 18 died which would be more like a 9% fatality rate. Did I miss something?

Upvote 0

Akita Suggagaki

Jul 20, 2018
Midwest
✟282,946.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
if the cohort was 191 inpatients and 28% died (which is a really high number) then this would mean 53 people died, yet if I understand the quote correctly it indicates 18 died which would be more like a 9% fatality rate. Did I miss something?

Confusing article. I read it as of the 191 patients 21% received an association of lopinavir and ritonavir. That's 40.11 patients. Pretty weird. But then 28% fatality of the 40.11 is 11.23.

Still doesn't make sense.

Upvote 0

Dave G.

May 22, 2017
Sandiwich
✟324,479.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Coronavirus cure: French researchers completed new additional study on 80 patients, results show a combination of Hydroxychloroquine and Azithromycin to be effective in treating COVID-19

In 80 in-patients receiving a combination of hydroxychloroquine and azithromycin, the team found a clinical improvement in all but one 86 year-old patient who died, and one 74-year old patient still in intensive care unit. The team also found that, by administering hydroxychloroquine combined with azithromycin, they were able to observe an improvement in all cases, except in one patient who arrived with an advanced form, who was over the age of 86, and in whom the evolution was irreversible, according to a new paper published today in IHU Méditerranée Infection.
In a cohort of 191 Chinese inpatients, of whom 95% received antibiotics and 21% received an association of lopinavir and ritonavir, the median duration of fever was 12 days and that of cough 19 days in survivors, with a 28% case-fatality rate (18),” the team said
.​
Well that's encouraging !

Upvote 0