In all sincerity, why doesn't God simply say, "Hi"?

UnI

Imaginary Player
Sep 12, 2004
Charlotte, N.C.
✟16,173.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pantheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
It's been many moons since I've been here, but I'm back in part for nostalgic reasons and, in part, to maybe help others along the way as they have helped me. I'm still seeking truth wherever it may lie so all commentary is welcome!

To the point. If the Christian God is a personal, loving, all-powerful being who has - according to the Bible - created the universe with all its complexities, miracles, and wonders then surely this God understands and can communicate the simplicities of the English language. Yet, no one on Earth - aside from the Biblical perspective - has heard His voice?

Simply put, why can't God simply say, "Hi" to us?

• Friendly
Reactions: cloudyday2

Norbert L

Site Supporter
Mar 1, 2009
✟560,360.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
It's already been done on a number of occasions.

Look at it on another level, you wouldn't deny anybody in your nation the right to leave and immigrate to another country if that was their free choice to do so? Does being an all-powerful person exempt Him from this status? A case can be made of "what's good for the gander is good for the goose" here. It's not as if the Biblical witness doesn't show Him interacting with a nation and individuals with some rather mixed results. To this day people experience life with it's blessings and curses along the way by the choices they and others make. Simply put by having the all-powerful person who created heaven and earth show up isn't going solve the issues individuals and nations have through the choices they make. It didn't work then, it would be unreasonable to believe they would work now.

Upvote 0

xianghua

Feb 14, 2017
tel aviv
✟111,555.00
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Single
It's been many moons since I've been here, but I'm back in part for nostalgic reasons and, in part, to maybe help others along the way as they have helped me. I'm still seeking truth wherever it may lie so all commentary is welcome!

To the point. If the Christian God is a personal, loving, all-powerful being who has - according to the Bible - created the universe with all its complexities, miracles, and wonders then surely this God understands and can communicate the simplicities of the English language. Yet, no one on Earth - aside from the Biblical perspective - has heard His voice?

he gave us evidence that showing us he exist:the self replicating watch argument

Upvote 0

Hawkins

Site Supporter
Apr 27, 2005
Canada
✟238,144.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Because by the covenant granted, you need faith to be saved. So if God says hi to you, you won't be able to be saved. If God doesn't say any hi to anyone, then no humans ever know who God is and what He wants from humans. So the only ways which works is for God to say hi to only His chosen witnesses and for other to believe with faith what those chosen witnesses say about Him.

Reactions: riesie
Upvote 0

ananda

Early Buddhist
May 6, 2011
Soujourner on Earth
✟186,371.00
Marital Status
Private

What would a "Hi" accomplish?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Nihilist Virus

Infectious idea
Oct 24, 2015
California
✟156,979.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
I would still have doubt ... after all, how could I verify that the "hi" was truly from the infinite Almighty?

Perhaps. But if there is something that would cause you to believe, God knows what it is. The "Have him say hello" slogan is just shorthand for "Whatever is needed for each individual." And whatever your magic bullet is, he won't share it with you.

The obvious (and poor) response is that God wants us to love him without coercion (despite the threat of a fate worse than death being the alternative to loving God). But, apparently, full knowledge of God and his power still did not prevent a third of the angels from rejecting God. Combined with God's commonplace appearances in scripture, I see no legitimate reason on Christian theology why we should be experiencing this dead silence.

Upvote 0

gadar perets

Messianic Hebrew
May 11, 2016
NC
Visit site
✟130,996.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Rev 1:1 The Revelation of Yeshua Messiah, which God gave unto him, to shew unto His servants things which must shortly come to pass; and he sent and signified it by his angel unto his servant John:

Rev 1:4 John to the seven churches which are in Asia: Grace be unto you, and peace, from Him which is, and which was, and which is to come; and from the seven Spirits which are before His throne;
Rev 1:5 And from Yeshua Messiah, who is the faithful witness, and the first begotten of the dead, and the prince of the kings of the earth. Unto him that loved us, and washed us from our sins in his own blood,
Rev 1:6 And hath made us kings and priests unto God and his Father; to him be glory and dominion for ever and ever. Amen.​

Verses 4-6 are greetings from the Father (God) and from His Son Yeshua. They are greetings to "His servants". He is saying "Hi" to them. If you would like Him to say "Hi" to you, then become one of His servants.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟732,185.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others

What might a divine "hello" look like that would be unmistakable and acceptable?

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0

Nihilist Virus

Infectious idea
Oct 24, 2015
California
✟156,979.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
What might a divine "hello" look like that would be unmistakable and acceptable?

-CryptoLutheran

Your deity is acutely aware of what this is, and your deity apparently wants us to believe in him, and yet he absolutely refuses to provide it.

Upvote 0

Dirk1540

Site Supporter
Sep 19, 2015
Jersey
✟778,285.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single

Whether you like God's reality or not, God giving an unambiguous 'Hi' to humanity would change everything. You would know for a fact that not being a Christian is to dis God. The world would be like high school, with a principal that some hated and some loved, yet nobody thought that the principal didn't exist. For whatever the reason God chose a world where it is easy to argue that the principal doesn't exist. This must be related to God wanting us to choose him under a low intellectual arm twisting environment IMO. I'm also of the opinion that God much prefers a world where those who reject him don't mope around their whole lives because they know for a FACT that they reject God everyday.

My personal taste however would be a watered down version of what you're proposing. Even though I am intellectually content with Christianity (now, much less in the past) I would like a higher concentration of proof (yet still not enough that the atheist can't reason their way out). There is an extremely high value placed on faith. I understand that the huge majority of people who have found Jesus in history did so due to internal experiences, and faith due to having those experiences, and I understand that that's the way God prefers it...but personally as someone who naturally needed evidence for Christianity the extremely high ratio of faith involved drives me a little crazy lol. As I said I am content, but it drives my crazy how hard it is to get people to see what I see.

Having said that I've experienced first hand how diving head first into faith strangely eases your intellectual doubts more & more. But trying to always debate Christianity with people can have the opposite effect. In the past I've reached points where I had good faith, and wanted to go debate/convince people!! But I became my own worst enemy by continuously trying to debate with people. When you constantly debate with people it's like you are constantly reminding yourself "There are plenty of reasons that people have for doubting!!" It can give you the opposite reaction of drawing nearer to God.

It's not bad to try to reach people via debate, but I think the danger is for Christians who aren't well grounded to spend all their time in the lion's den. If you're faith and reasoning for Christianity is solid as a rock then it's definitely much safer to spend lots of time in the lion's den. I'm definitely more fit for the lion's den then I was years ago, but years ago I THOUGHT I was fit for it, and I lost my faith 1,000 times hanging out in there! I also think it's easy for people to think that they are seasoned enough to be there all the time, but they're not yet. So...relating this back to my request of evidence being stronger then it is now (which is the watered down version of your request where God flat out says Hi)...perhaps more evidence would result in TOO MANY Christians spending too much of their time debating with people, as opposed to the set up now where the majority of Christians exercise & strengthen their faith first, and maybe debate someone as a distant 2nd. I don't know!! I'm with you I also try to think about why the faith/evidence ratio is set to where it's set at.

Upvote 0

bling

Site Supporter
Feb 27, 2008
✟803,026.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

God could certainly make His presence known to the greatest skeptic, but would that help or hurt?
Is God just trying to get you to acknowledge His existence?
Would it be even a greater offence to God for you to know for certain He existed and yet refused His help?
Man has an earthly objective and acknowledge God's existence is not the objective.
Faith helps man to fulfill man's objective (it is a humbling activity) while "knowledge" tends to puff up the person (be even more self reliant).
You need to understand the objective since everything is driven by the objective.

Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟732,185.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
Your deity is acutely aware of what this is, and your deity apparently wants us to believe in him, and yet he absolutely refuses to provide it.

I'm not sure if that's really an answer to my question though.

What would a divine hello look like?

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0