Impossible to be saved like the thief on the cross!

Status
Not open for further replies.

sola fide

neo-Puritan
Aug 2, 2002
✟660.00
Faith
Calvinist
You might want to clarify that question, because we can't be in the same situation as the thief, after all, we're not hanging on a cross next to Christ.
I do believe that God can ordain people to come to "death bed" confessions. In that case, someone can definitely be regenerated, even at the end of their life. Grace is grace, no matter when you receive it.

Upvote 0
Originally posted by sola fide
You might want to clarify that question, because we can't be in the same situation as the thief, after all, we're not hanging on a cross next to Christ.
I do believe that God can ordain people to come to "death bed" confessions. In that case, someone can definitely be regenerated, even at the end of their life. Grace is grace, no matter when you receive it.

1.The first part of your statement is correct, but many people do not see that way.

2. The second part of your statement, has never been a bible concept, though I heard it before.  I have never read about anything like that in the bible, from the new testament.  Maybe I missed it somehow.  Can you give some information from the new testament to show me?

Upvote 0
Not my humble opinion, but biblical facts!

1. No one can be tried in a roman court like the thief.
2. No one can be hung on a cross next to Jesus like the thief.
3. No one can speak face-to-face with Jesus like the thief.
4. No one can see the Saviour die on the cross like the thief.
5. No one can say the words that the thief said to Jesus.

Upvote 0
The thief on the cross was saved by believing in Jesus, By stating "Lord remember me when thou comest into thy kingdom" in Luke 23:42 he confessed that Jesus was Lord and who He said He was. So he was saved just like everyone else is saved which is of course the only way to be saved. If it is impossible for anyone to be saved that way then no one is saved at all.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Originally posted by g_1933
The thief on the cross was saved by believing in Jesus, By stating "Lord remember me when thou comest into thy kingdom" in Luke 23:42 he confessed that Jesus was Lord and who He said He was. So he was saved just like everyone else is saved which is of course the only way to be saved. If it is impossible for anyone to be saved that way then no one is saved at all.

Was the message of the thief ever repeated by any of the apostles?

And where did you read that the thief knew who Jesus was?

Did anyone else make the statement that the thief made in the new testament?

The other thief that was there how come he was not saved? Luke 23:39 He wanted to be saved too.

Upvote 0

eldermike

Pray
Site Supporter
Mar 24, 2002
NC
Visit site
✟20,209.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Jesus said: "My lambs know my voice". Jesus knew Who He was before the creation of the earth, all the Guy had to do was acknowledge that He knew who Jesus was, and He was saved. That is the same way and the only way any have ever been saved.

Upvote 0
The other thief that was there how come he was not saved? Luke 23:39 He wanted to be saved too.

The other thief was being sarcastic and agreeing with the crowd by saying "save yourself and us". Remember the crowd had been saying the same thing to Jesus.

23:40 But the other answering rebuked him, saying, Dost not thou fear God, seeing thou art in the same condemnation?
23:41 And we indeed justly; for we receive the due reward of our deeds: but this man hath done nothing amiss.
23:42 And he said unto Jesus, Lord, remember me when thou comest into thy kingdom.

Luke 23:40-42 is where I read that the thief knew who Jesus is. Jesus Christ is Lord and the King of the Jews. The thief believed Jesus was who He said He was. He would not have a kingdom if He were not a king.

Upvote 0
Originally posted by eldermike
Jesus said: "My lambs know my voice". Jesus knew Who He was before the creation of the earth, all the Guy had to do was acknowledge that He knew who Jesus was, and He was saved. That is the same way and the only way any have ever been saved.

Luke 23:20 Pilate therefore, willing to release Jesus, spake again to them.  vs. 22 And he said unto them the third time, Why, what evil hath he done: I have found no cause of death in him: I will therefore chastise him, and let him go.

Pilate knew who Jesus was, so are you saying he is saved too?

John 19:19 And Pilate wrote a title, and put it on the cross. and the writing was, Jesus of Nazareth The King of the Jews.  vs. 21 Then said the chief priests of the Jews to Pilate, Write not, The King of the Jews; but that he said, I am King of the Jews.  vs.22 Pilate answered, What I have written I have written.

Pilate wrote the confession of who Jesus was, is he saved according to your statement?

With the statement you made, then the sermon Peter preached on the day of Pentecost was not necessary was it?  Nor was the response that the three thousand had, right?

Upvote 0

eldermike

Pray
Site Supporter
Mar 24, 2002
NC
Visit site
✟20,209.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Pilate wrote the confession of who Jesus was, is he saved according to your statement?

Bible,

I do not know who is and is not saved, but they that are saved know it. If Jesus had said to Pilate, "Today you will be with me in paradise", then we would know, otherwise that is between Pilate and God. Was He mocking Jesus or was He acknowledging who Jesus was?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Bible,

I do not know who is and is not saved, but they that are saved know it. If Jesus had said to Pilate, "Today you will be with me in paradise", then we would know, otherwise that is between Pilate and God. Was He mocking Jesus or was He acknowledging who Jesus was?

What good is the gospel then?  Or the new testament, if all one has to do is acknowledge the Jesus is Lord.

Let me see if I'm understanding what you are saying:  All men have to do to be saved, is to confess that Jesus is Lord!  Is that what you are saying?

If so, then Peter lied in Acts 2:38-41.

Upvote 0

eldermike

Pray
Site Supporter
Mar 24, 2002
NC
Visit site
✟20,209.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Bible,

You turn this circle away from me every time I post something to you. This is like a dog chasing it's tail.

When a person gets saved, they want to please God. The Bible is useful for the things that Paul said it was. "All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness, 17 so that the man of God may be thoroughly equipped for every good work".

There is not one lie in the Bible. But you can get your cart in from of your horse if you are not careful.

Upvote 0
Bible,

You turn this circle away from me every time I post something to you. This is like a dog chasing it's tail.

When a person gets saved, they want to please God. The Bible is useful for the things that Paul said it was. "All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness, 17 so that the man of God may be thoroughly equipped for every good work".

There is not one lie in the Bible. But you can get your cart in from of your horse if you are not careful.

There is a reason that I turn to this point, because you seem to over look things that the bible clearly teaches.  Acts 2 is the beginning of the church for which Christ died, and I believe that if we want to learn what to do to be saved, that where a person should start.  Matt, Mark, Luke and John just set the stage with the life and doings of Jesus the Son of God.  If you listen to the sermon that Peter preached on the day of Pentecost there is much to learn from start to finish.  This sermon is to the Jews first, and later in the book of Acts 10 the gospel was preached to the gentiles.  My point is this, we learn how to be saved in the book of Acts by examples therein.  

Upvote 0
With the statement you made, then the sermon Peter preached on the day of Pentecost was not necessary was it? Nor was the response that the three thousand had, right?

What response do you think the 3,000 had? Was it not to believe on Jesus Christ? Or was Peter perhaps preaching about something else?

Upvote 0
Originally posted by g_1933
What response do you think the 3,000 had? Was it not to believe on Jesus Christ? Or was Peter perhaps preaching about something else?

Acts 2:41-42 Then they that gladly received his word were baptized; and the same day there were added unto them about three thousand souls.  And they continued steadfastly in the apostles' doctrine and fellowship, and in breaking  of bread and prayers.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.