✟380,249.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
PoliticalCompassNov2020.png

And a lot of those questions were loaded.

Upvote 0

Sketcher

Born Imperishable
Feb 23, 2004
✟380,249.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I thought they were skillfully consturcted. Perhaps we mean the same thing. In what way do you feel they were loaded?
Some of them had stronger implications than they seemed to have at face value, others were worded in a way that didn't make enough room for nuance.

Upvote 0

Ophiolite

Recalcitrant Procrastinating Ape
Nov 12, 2008
✟240,799.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
Some of them had stronger implications than they seemed to have at face value, others were worded in a way that didn't make enough room for nuance.
Exactly. A very well constructed set of questions.
On the first point people will often try to conceal their true position from others. "Loaded" questions can ferret out what they really think.
The absence of a neutral position forces people to make a decision one way or the other. This can be very revealing.
It was the presence of such features that made me feel it was an excellent poll.

Upvote 0

Sketcher

Born Imperishable
Feb 23, 2004
✟380,249.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Exactly. A very well constructed set of questions.
On the first point people will often try to conceal their true position from others. "Loaded" questions can ferret out what they really think.
The absence of a neutral position forces people to make a decision one way or the other. This can be very revealing.
It was the presence of such features that made me feel it was an excellent poll.
I don't think that's accurate. For instance, this question:

"Abstract art that doesn’t represent anything shouldn’t be considered art at all."

A lot of people would agree with it. But they might not know that Hitler took that idea, and punished abstract artists while promoting his preferred style. And a lot of those people who would agree with the statement probably wouldn't support Hitler's approach to addressing it.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Ophiolite

Recalcitrant Procrastinating Ape
Nov 12, 2008
✟240,799.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
I don't think that's accurate. For instance, this question:

"Abstract art that doesn’t represent anything shouldn’t be considered art at all."

A lot of people would agree with it. But they might not know that Hitler took that idea, and punished abstract artists while promoting his preferred style. And a lot of those people who would agree with the statement probably wouldn't support Hitler's approach to addressing it.
I suggest that those who agree with the statement reveal, simultaneously, an ignorance of art, but more significantly a willingness to entertain diversity in the opinions of others. I suggest that is what the question was designed to reveal.
And yes, that style of thinking would then be common to the respondent and to Hitler, however how one deals with that is irrelevant to the intent of the question.

Upvote 0

Andrewn

CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Jul 4, 2019
-
✟681,411.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
How good is this questionnaire?

The vertical axis is supposed to be for social issues.

The horizontal axis is supposed to be for economic issues. One would expect those who voted for Trump to be in the blue and purple squares and those who voted for Biden to be in the red or green squares.

10 Christians took the test. Only 3 results were in the blue square and 1 in the red.

6 Christian participants were in the green and 0 in the purple square.

Did only 3 of the 10 Christians vote for Trump? This doesn't make sense given that "Surveys of early voters and exit polls this year showed between 76 and 81% of white evangelical and "born again" voters supporting Trump, according to the National Election Pool and AP/Votecast."

And why did a majority in this thread (6 of 10 Christians) test on the libertarian side?

I think the questions are well-designed. But that it is wrong to have 4 squares that are equal in size.

If the size of the 4 squares is adjusted by moving the horizontal and vertical lines down and to the left, we can probably get more meaningful results. This would especially reduce the size of the green square.

If this is done, @Kenny'sID and me would be in the red square. @Landon Caeli and @ReesePiece23 would be in the purple square.

This would make a lot more sense. Distribution of Christians would be: 3 in blue, 2 in purple, 3 in red, and 2 in green.

2 Agnostics took the test and their results are in the green square.

Last edited:
Reactions: mindlight
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

PloverWing

Episcopalian
May 5, 2012
New Jersey
✟335,910.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
10 Christians took the test. Only 3 results were in the blue square and 1 in the red.

6 Christian participants were in the green and 0 in the purple square.

Did only 3 of the 10 Christians vote for Trump? This doesn't make sense given that "Surveys of early voters and exit polls this year showed between 76 and 81% of white evangelical and "born again" voters supporting Trump, according to the National Election Pool and AP/Votecast."

And why did a majority in this thread (6 of 10 Christians) test on the libertarian side?

I can think of a few factors here:

1) Not all Christians are white Evangelicals. Some Christians are not white, or are mainline Protestants, or are Catholic, or are Orthodox.

2) The questionnaire doesn't really capture the weighting of issues. Some Christians, for example, weight the abortion issue much more heavily than other issues. Such a person might vote for a candidate who promises to make abortion illegal, even if they disagree with the candidate on ten other issues. The questionnaire counted all its issues equally, as far as I could tell.

3) It can be consistent to be both Christian and libertarian. There are lots of things that I think are immoral -- or, on the positive side, spiritual practices that I think are beneficial -- that I don't want the government enforcing.

I think the questions are well-designed. But that it is wrong to have 4 squares that are equal in size.

I don't really follow this. What do we gain by moving the axes of the graph?

Upvote 0

Andrewn

CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Jul 4, 2019
-
✟681,411.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I can think of a few factors here:

1) Not all Christians are white Evangelicals. Some Christians are not white, or are mainline Protestants, or are Catholic, or are Orthodox.

2) The questionnaire doesn't really capture the weighting of issues. Some Christians, for example, weight the abortion issue much more heavily than other issues. Such a person might vote for a candidate who promises to make abortion illegal, even if they disagree with the candidate on ten other issues. The questionnaire counted all its issues equally, as far as I could tell.

3) It can be consistent to be both Christian and libertarian. There are lots of things that I think are immoral -- or, on the positive side, spiritual practices that I think are beneficial -- that I don't want the government enforcing.
I agree.

I don't really follow this. What do we gain by moving the axes of the graph?
To me, it doesn't make sense that the population is evenly distributed and it doesn't make sense that 6 of 10 Christians are liberal both economically and socially, especially the latter. Sure there are socially liberal Christians but not 6 of 10, even though it's a small sample.

Of course, this is not scientific and no one has to agree. It is all for fun :).

Last edited:
Upvote 0