Singapore
✟22,005.00
Country
Singapore
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
You cannot have God and sin at the same time. You need to repent. We need to confront sinners with this truth. Hanging around bible studies without repentance doesn't mean you are saved.

Sorrow is not enough, it must lead to change by repentance. There are people that have ungodly sorrow but they have not repent or change.

Example the young rich ruler in the gospel that have done everything in the ten commandments but love money. You can't love money in order to get into the kingdom of God. You can have money but you cannot love money. Men must humble themselves and look towards Jesus in order to get the gift of salvation.

morse86

Aug 2, 2014
✟60,258.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
What part of Romans 3:23 ( For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God;) do you not understand? All have come short.

Romans 5:19:
For as by one man's disobedience many were made sinners, so by the obedience of one shall many be made righteous.

Isaiah 64:6:
But we are all as an unclean thing, and all our righteousnesses are as filthy rags; and we all do fade as a leaf; and our iniquities, like the wind, have taken us away.

Our good works are filthy rags in front of God in terms of salvation. Good works, repentance, lordship salvation, all filthy rags in terms of salvation. It is Jesus's righteousness that is imputed unto us through FAITH alone. Hear the word, believe once, and that's it.

Regarding the rich young ruler....Jesus was trying to show how we cannot be saved by works. It's impossible.

Upvote 0

rturner76

Domine non-sum dignus
Site Supporter
May 10, 2011
Twin Cities
✟731,693.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
Yes but many times it takes a life of sorrow and misery to bring you to a place of reaching out and asking the Lord for help with your temptation. Some have to come to a state of absolute desolation where life itself is a burden and they just reach out in desperation and say "please help me Lord, I can't do it on my own power." When you truly mean that it's like a miracle they way you can be propped back up and are literally given the desire to live again. It can feel supernatural.

Hearing it from someone else will only harden your heart. They need to hear about the love and acceptance that waits for them if they just ask for it. But they have to want it on a deep level. It seems people have to need it and then they depend on it but it delivers, especially when you get in a community, make friends, teach children, maybe even find a mate or marry yourself to the mission. SO much is waiting for those who truly embrace him.

I agree with the title of the thread, repentance is when the change happens. The humility you must have to say "I need you."

Reactions: devin553344
Upvote 0

devin553344

I believe in the Resurrection
Nov 10, 2015
Unkown
✟93,810.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
You cannot have God and sin at the same time. You need to repent. We need to confront sinners with this truth. Hanging around bible studies without repentance doesn't mean you are saved.

Sorrow is not enough, it must lead to change by repentance. There are people that have ungodly sorrow but they have not repent or change.

Example the young rich ruler in the gospel that have done everything in the ten commandments but love money. You can't love money in order to get into the kingdom of God. You can have money but you cannot love money. Men must humble themselves and look towards Jesus in order to get the gift of salvation.

Very true, when God brings a soul in they become different and change from the worldly life.

John 6:44

No one can come to me unless the Father who sent me draws them, and I will raise them up at the last day

Upvote 0

~Zao~

Wisdom’s child
Site Supporter
Jun 27, 2007
✟100,595.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
What part of Romans 3:23 ( For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God;) do you not understand? All have come short.

Romans 5:19:
For as by one man's disobedience many were made sinners, so by the obedience of one shall many be made righteous.

Isaiah 64:6:
But we are all as an unclean thing, and all our righteousnesses are as filthy rags; and we all do fade as a leaf; and our iniquities, like the wind, have taken us away.

Our good works are filthy rags in front of God in terms of salvation. Good works, repentance, lordship salvation, all filthy rags in terms of salvation. It is Jesus's righteousness that is imputed unto us through FAITH alone. Hear the word, believe once, and that's it.

Regarding the rich young ruler....Jesus was trying to show how we cannot be saved by works. It's impossible.
Good works as filthy rags is anything done according to knowledge but lacking the wisdom that God made Christ for us. What part of Romans 12:1-3 don’t you understand? If you begin at the elementary level of the case in Romans your conclusions will never balance.

Cheap grace, using Christ as a mockery for worldly gain, isn’t biblical. Nor is faith without a will set on seeking the higher calling isn’t Christianity.

Proverbs 14
9 The stupid ridicule right and wrong, but a moral life is a favored life. 10 The person who shuns the bitter moments of friends will be an outsider at their celebrations. 11 Lives of careless wrongdoing are tumbledown shacks; holy living builds soaring cathedrals. 12 There's a way of life that looks harmless enough; look again - it leads straight to hell. 13 Sure, those people appear to be having a good time, but all that laughter will end in heartbreak. Sift and Weigh Every Word 14 A mean person gets paid back in meanness, a gracious person in grace. 15 The gullible believe anything they're told; the prudent sift and weigh every word. 16 The wise watch their steps and avoid evil; fools are headstrong and reckless. 17 The hotheaded do things they'll later regret; the coldhearted get the cold shoulder. 18 Foolish dreamers live in a world of illusion; wise realists plant their feet on the ground. 19 Eventually, evil will pay tribute to good; the wicked will respect God-loyal people.

Peace

Upvote 0

morse86

Aug 2, 2014
✟60,258.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
You are confusing salvation and living "right" according to the word of God.

Salvation is by faith alone. It is a gift of God.

God still wants you to live right according to his word and not live like the world. He wants you to separate yourself from the "worldly ways". This is not salvation.

It's 2 different things. Do you even know why Jesus went to the cross?? Did he die and arose invain?

Upvote 0

redleghunter

Thank You Jesus!
Site Supporter
Mar 18, 2014
Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

I address some of what you speak of on another thread:

What are the characteristics of true repentance?

Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

Romans 2 makes for healthy reading, in faith.

Upvote 0

Disciple of Jesus
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
✟146,199.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
You cannot have God and sin at the same time. You need to repent. ...

I agree with that, because Jesus said:

"Neither do I condemn you. Go your way. From now on, sin no more."
John 8:11

… Sin no more, so that nothing worse happens to you."
John 5:14

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Guojing

Apr 11, 2019
sg
✟217,137.00
Country
Singapore
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

When you believe in Jesus's death and resurrection for your sin (1 Cor 15:1-4), you are automatically justified. Repentance also follows simultaneously.

Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟831,704.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married

From what I see in the Scripture text is that repentance is a general change of direction from rebelling against Christ to loving and trusting Him. It is a one-time act and is an essential part of being genuinely converted to Christ. Taking oneself away from the works of the flesh and walking in the Spirit is the forsaking of sin which is a continual and developmental part of progressive sanctification.

But there is another meaning of the word "repent" and it was described of God when He saw the total violence in the world, and it says that He repented that He had made man. It is not that He changed His mind, but that what He was seeing in the world deeply grieved Him that the race of humans whom He created to fellowship with and worship Him was rebelling against everything He stood for. It speaks of a deep disappointment in the heart of God and led to His decision to destroy the world through a great cataclysmic Flood. One man found grace in His sight, and the rest was history.

The two meanings are linked, however, because repentance involves godly sorrow. God had sorrow and disappointment about how man had turned out, and the repentant sinner feels godly sorrow that he or she has sinned before God, and it is this godly sorrow brought about by conviction of sin, that is the impetus for the person turning to Christ and putting their trust in Him as Saviour.

Upvote 0

tturt

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Oct 30, 2006
✟796,066.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I usually dont state criticism of the chuch but believe the "no repenting" stance by some is one of the biggest errors in the church today.

As believers, we continue to sin and need to repent - not that we lose our salvation otherwise.

-To the Ephesus church "Remember therefore from whence thou art fallen, and rrepent, and do the first works; or else I will come unto thee quickly, and will remove thy candlestick out of his place, except thou repent."
-To the church in Pergamos "Repent; or else I will come unto thee quickly, and will fight against them with the sword of my mouth."
-to the Thyatira's church "And I gave her space to repent of her fornication; and she repented not. Behold, I will cast her into a bed, and them that commit adultery with her into great tribulation, except they repent of their deeds." Rev 2

-to the church in Sardis "Remember therefore how thou hast received and heard, and hold fast, and repent..."
- the church of the Laodiceans "As many as I love, I rebuke and chasten: be zealous therefore, and rrepent" Rev3

Also, the Lord's prayer taught by Jesus is for believers. It includes repentance to Him "...and forgive us our sins, as we have forgiven those who sin against us...."
Matt 6:12 and Luk 11

Last edited:
Upvote 0