Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
Maybe the judge was fooled but it appears he was not.
Hennepin County District Judge Peter Cahill criticized Rep. Maxine Waters
"I wish elected officials would stop talking about this case, especially in a manner that is disrespectful to the rule of law and to the judicial branch and our function," Cahill said after the jury had been sequestered to begin deliberations on Monday.
"If they want to give their opinions, they should do so ... in a manner that is consistent with their oath to the Constitution," Cahill continued.
The judge’s comments came after Chauvin defense attorney Eric Nelson argued that Waters’s comments could have prejudiced the jury and were grounds for a mistrial.“We have U.S. representatives threatening acts of violence in relation to this specific case. It's mind-boggling,” Nelson said to Cahill
. Judge criticizes Waters for remarks during Chauvin trial
Would you be okay if one branch of the government would just tell the other branch of the government who’s free speech is “allowable”?
It’s a three-legged table, our Constitutional Republic, it doesn’t bode well when one leg bullies the other two...but these things will happen.
Nixon opined on Charlie Manson’s guilt, big whoop.
“Opinionated [wo]man has opinion” ?

“Tone it down” is not a good message to be sending or receiving right now.

Upvote 0

KarateCowboy

Classical liberal
Site Supporter
Aug 6, 2004
✟140,932.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
I believe justice won and Chavin was found guilty of all counts, but Rep. Waters needs to be reminded she represents millions of people and never again suggests what she did that could have incited riots had the outcome been different.
The problem with this is it's not realistically possible to kill a man by kneeling on his shoulder. I'm roughly the same size as Floyd. I had a peer at my jujitsu school kneel on my shoulder/neck as Chauvin did. The whole time I was like "Wake me when the killing starts". It was uncomfortable, but you couldn't get a tap from that move, much less kill a man. It's insane that an innocent man could go to prison for something so impossible.

Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

I've already read the books you want burned.
Apr 15, 2012
Behind the 8-ball, but ahead of the curve.
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
The problem with this is it's not realistically possible to kill a man by kneeling on his shoulder. I'm roughly the same size as Floyd. I had a peer at my jujitsu school kneel on my shoulder/neck as Chauvin did. The whole time I was like "Wake me when the killing starts". It was uncomfortable, but you couldn't get a tap from that move, much less kill a man. It's insane that an innocent man could go to prison for something so impossible.

Clearly the defense erred in not calling you as an expert witness.

Upvote 0

GoldenBoy89

We're Still Here
Sep 25, 2012
LA
✟554,901.00
Country
United States
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I had no idea you were a medic and could make this determination. Always good to have an expert to reference for opinion.

Upvote 0

disciple Clint

Mar 26, 2018
Pacific Northwest
✟208,189.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I did not see the entire trial but I know that the neck restraint that Chauvin used is in the use of force policy of thousands of police departments and has been for at least 20-30 years or more, control the head control the body, I have seen it used many, many times and never did it result in death or injury. I do have a serious problem with Chauvin using it improperly, it is to be used prior to cuffing and as a temporary control technique to allow cuffing, he should have been off the neck as soon as the suspect was cuffed and he should have rendered aid when it was obvious that the suspect was in medical distress. Every department policy that I am aware of requires that force is limited to only the amount needed to control the suspect and medical aid is required to be rendered when needed.

• Agree
Reactions: Hazelelponi
Upvote 0

KarateCowboy

Classical liberal
Site Supporter
Aug 6, 2004
✟140,932.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
I did not see the entire trial but I know that the neck restraint that Chauvin used is in the use of force policy of thousands of police departments and has been for at least 20-30 years or more, control the head control the body, I have seen it used many, many times and never did it result in death or injury. I do have a serious problem with Chauvin using it improperly, it is to be used prior to cuffing and as a temporary control technique to allow cuffing, he should have been off the neck as soon as the suspect was cuffed and he should have rendered aid when it was obvious that the suspect was in medical distress. Every department policy that I am aware of requires that force is limited to only the amount needed to control the suspect and medical aid is required to be rendered when needed.
It may be worth pointing out that the body-cam footage showed Chauvin's knee was mostly on the shoulder. While it may be against protocol to keep him pinned, it's still not reasonable to suggest that can kill a man. Especially when Chauvin is almost 100 lbs lighter.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Jeffwhosoever

Faithful Servant & Seminary Student
Christian Forums Staff
Chaplain
Angels Team
Site Supporter
Sep 21, 2009
Southern US
✟393,489.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
I just read a poll that indicates 90% of Democrats, 75% of Independents, and 54% or Republicans agree with the verdict in this case. That means 10% of Democrats, 25% of Independents, and 46% of Republicans either do not agree or didn't know. How can an event recorded in live video have such a broad range of interpretation based on political views? Would everyone feel the same way if a black police officer was choking a white person to death? It would to me, and makes zero difference what race either men were. Floyd was lying face down, handcuffed, and 4 armed police officers. How can such use of force be justified, especially over a lousy $20 that at least I don't know the details but even if that $20 was stolen cannot justify the treatment Mr. Floyd was forced to endure. Do we know have any morals at all anymore?

Upvote 0

Semper-Fi

Site Supporter
May 26, 2019
Pacific north west
✟404,495.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Given the circumstances of the trial, we will
never know for sure if it was fair.

The propaganda media, radical Democrats, members of Congress and others
intimidated jurors and witnesses into ruling that Chauvin was guilty.

A bloody severed pig’s head was found at the front door of
one of the expert witnesses who testified on behalf of Chauvin.

Black Lives Matter protesters made it perfectly clear that they
would engulf the nation in flames if Chauvin were acquitted.

We will never know how much fear of rioting impacted the jurors’
decisions. Whether or not Chauvin was guilty, his trial was a
classic example of mob justice.

Speaker of the House Nancy Pelosi even thanked Floyd “for sacrificing
your life for justice,” as if she were glad Floyd died for her political agenda.

They do not really care about justice for George Floyd.

The leftists who are working out their agenda care about creating a
national policing authority. They are fanning flames of racial hatred
in an attempt to ignite race riots, a crisis that they can use as an
excuse to deprive local voters in local communities of the power they
currently have over local police.

A strategy straight from the Communist playbook.

Street provocateurs who advocate rioting as a form of protest, while “deep state” bureaucrats are pushing seizure of police authority as a way to solve those riots.

Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

I've already read the books you want burned.
Apr 15, 2012
Behind the 8-ball, but ahead of the curve.
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Yep... it's all one big 'ol conspiracy... and everyone's in on it.

And you were there, and you... and you... and even you!
b0343765-f7af-4033-add7-df03842b48fb_screenshot.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: KCfromNC
Upvote 0

Fantine

Dona Quixote
Site Supporter
Jun 11, 2005
✟1,087,129.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
John Lewis called it "good trouble."

That was the kind of "trouble" Maxine Waters was advocating--"good trouble."

I will let this beautiful song, Psalm 15, define good trouble. "They who do justice will live in the presence of God."

Upvote 0

Pommer

CoPacEtiC SkEpTic
Sep 13, 2008
Earth
✟141,253.00
Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat

What?
Would you, if sitting on such a jury, allow any public opinion to influence your deliberations (both internal and with your fellow jurors)?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Hazelelponi

:sighing:
Site Supporter
Jun 25, 2018
USA
✟687,646.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Given the circumstances of the trial, we will
never know for sure if it was fair.

The propaganda media, radical Democrats, members of Congress and others
intimidated jurors and witnesses into ruling that Chauvin was guilty.

A bloody severed pig’s head was found at the front door of
one of the expert witnesses who testified on behalf of Chauvin.

Black Lives Matter protesters made it perfectly clear that they
would engulf the nation in flames if Chauvin were acquitted.

Speaker of the House Nancy Pelosi even thanked Floyd “for sacrificing
your life for justice,” as if she were glad Floyd died for her political agenda.

They do not really care about justice for George Floyd.

The leftists who are working out their agenda care about creating a
national policing authority. They are fanning flames of racial hatred
in an attempt to ignite race riots, a crisis that they can use as an
excuse to deprive local voters in local communities of the power they
currently have over local police.

A strategy straight from the Communist playbook.

Street provocateurs who advocate rioting as a form of protest, while “deep state” bureaucrats are pushing seizure of police authority as a way to solve those riots.

I absolutely agree with you here. The jury was under a partial sequester, meaning when they were at the courthouse they couldn't take phone calls or get on the internet. Yet, they went home every night, watching news, getting online, talking to freinds and family and so forth.

They all knew their lives and livelihoods were on the line if they came back with a not guilty verdict and the country would burn.

So who can trust this was in any way an impartial verdict?

I don't. I think the left created a situation where that cop could never get a fair trial... and in America that's sad indeed.

Upvote 0