Visit site
✟447,219.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
I was under the impression that at least one of the genealogies in Matthew and Luke were at least partly invented...
The Genealogies of Jesus
Then I came across this in a Bible commentary:
Titus Chapter 3
"But avoid foolish disputes, genealogies..."
ii. “The Jewish Rabbis spent their time building up imaginary genealogies for the characters of the Old Testament…. (Barclay)
Though I don't believe the Bible is 100% true I consider myself to be an extremely liberal Christian.
What do people think about that comment in the commentary?

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I was under the impression that at least one of the genealogies in Matthew and Luke were at least partly invented...
The Genealogies of Jesus
Titus Chapter 3

Though I don't believe the Bible is 100% true I consider myself to be an extremely liberal Christian.

I understand that one of the genealogies covers Mary, and the other Joseph.
It's hard to say if any such list is complete. It's possible that some have
been fabricated I would imagine.

Upvote 0

JohnClay

Married Mouth-Breather
Site Supporter
Oct 27, 2006
Australia
Visit site
✟447,219.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
I understand that one of the genealogies covers Mary, and the other Joseph.
It's hard to say if any such list is complete. It's possible that some have
been fabricated I would imagine.
Yes that is perhaps the most popular explanation these days...
see "Why are the genealogies different?"
The Genealogies of Jesus
Apparently this idea was from John of Damascus, who lived from 675 - 749 AD. An earlier explanation was that "Matthew talked about Joseph's natural father while Luke talked about Joseph's legal father". There is also the problem of Shealtiel's fathers...

Upvote 0

HTacianas

Jul 9, 2018
Florida
✟324,340.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
The Genealogies of Jesus
Titus Chapter 3

I don't know where that note is from, but genealogies among the Jews of the time were important enough that it caused bickering among them in determining their pecking order. That is most likely what Paul was trying to quell. It's similar to some highbrow Americans who try to establish their order at the winetastings by claiming to be descended from George Washington.

The genealogies of Matthew and Luke present a whole other problem. Mainly that they disagree with each other.

St. Jerome, commenting on the gospel of the Hebrews, said that there was a now lost gospel written in Hebrew that was similar to but shorter than the gospel of Matthew. Being shorter, he considered it to have been "mutilated", but also commented that the genealogy had been removed, or some similar comment.

My own personal opinion is that there was an earlier gospel of Matthew that did not contain the genealogy, but that the genealogy was added later to end one of the genealogical arguments Paul had warned against. Again, that's my own personal opinion.

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Yes that is perhaps the most popular explanation these days...
see "Why are the genealogies different?"
The Genealogies of Jesus
Apparently this idea was from John of Damascus, who lived from 675 - 749 AD. An earlier explanation was that "Matthew talked about Joseph's natural father while Luke talked about Joseph's legal father". There is also the problem of Shealtiel's fathers...

Scripture was written by men. I expect problems.

Upvote 0

Jonaitis

Soli Deo Gloria
Jan 4, 2019
Wyoming
✟122,978.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
The Genealogies of Jesus
Titus Chapter 3

It was said by some early Christian author, don't remember who, that these two genealogies are different because one covers a biological line and the other through a levirate marriage, that is the practice of a widow marrying her deceased husband's brother in their name. I'm not entirely sure how that theory plays out here.

I am trying to remember the other views I've heard.

Upvote 0

JohnClay

Married Mouth-Breather
Site Supporter
Oct 27, 2006
Australia
Visit site
✟447,219.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Other Religion