Im trying not to quit....

Far Side Of the Moon

" The moon is high& the stars are aligned" :)
Mar 11, 2016
Georgia
✟30,290.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Can I give you some of my testimony? I grew up as the "second prince," you know the second son among four siblings two sons, two daughters. My mother never wanted me. She even told me to my face that if abortion had been legal she would have gotten an abortion. All through my life, while I was never abused, and there was always food on the table, I was always stuck with the scut work--washing the dishes, (I began at 7) doing laundry (age 11) things like that.

When I grew up, my dad owned a jewelry store, plus he did repairs for the other stores in town. Guess who got stuck polishing the jewelry after it was repaired. It is the nastiest, dirtiest job there is in the jewelry field. Then I would have to clean the jewelry, wrap it in a tissue paper, put it back in the envelope it came in, and finally deliver to the other jewelers. And that was EVERY day, not just once or twice a week. I lived at home, because they didn't pay me. NOTHING AT ALL! If I called in sick, I would be told, "be sick on your own time, we have work to do!" And again, all with no pay. Oh, and did I forget to tell you, when the repair work needed to be done, there was no such thing as closing at 5:00 in the afternoon. More times than I can remember, I was there until 10:00 or later.

So I found another job. It was something I could do, it was easy, and I was making money. One cold Monday morning, I was in the UP of Michigan, and it was snowing sideways. That's how fast the wind was blowing off of Lake Superior. Anyway, I bundled myself up and went out to lunch at the diner next door. I did a slip and fall, and I broke my knee, and tore the ACL. I tried to work for the rest of the day, but I couldn't. I called the company I was working for, and told them what had happened. A store employee drove me to my motel, where I called my parents, and told them what had happened. Two days later, they drove up from Chicago to get my car, and to get me home. I was laid up for the better part of four months, and when I told my boss that I was ready to come back to work, I was told that I didn't have a job. Anyway, the instant I got home from the accident, my dad asked me for money. $500. Unwillingly, I wrote him a check, and he went off to the wholesale part of town to buy supplies.

When I got the insurance settlement, I was asked for still more money. I finally had to sue the main company of the store I had been working in, and I got a nice payment back from them, minus, of course 33% legal fees. They hit me up for money another time.

One time, I had this really nice men's sapphire ring, in platinum, with diamonds. My sister stole it from me. I had several loose gemstones that I had bought, and my sister stole them from me too.

Now all this time, I was paying my share of the rent, car payments, insurance payments, the whole nine yards. While I was recovering from my broken knee, I BOUGHT a really nice dishwasher for my folks, just to be nice. It didn't matter.

When my mother died, dad and the siblings split up all of the jewelry that mom had owned. My brother and two sisters got all of the jewelry, and I got ONE Lladro china figurine. In other words, NOTHING!

I could go on for several more pages. I have forgiven them all. That is a weight I could no longer bear. My brother and sisters are still alive. Jack calls me on occasion. One sister still calls me once in a while. The Other sister hasn't spoken to me since Dad's funeral.

In other words, Far Side, you are not the only one. Try to bear up. Pay your fair share of the bills. Unless your dad is disabled, nag him to get a job. Ditto you're 19 year old brother. If you're making $500 a week, you can afford to be generous especially if you are living under their roof. Don't think yourself ill used, as I did for a long, long time.

Finally, the clearer you write, the clearer you think. Please don't use idk for I don't know, or any other texting shortcuts. I know it is more keystrokes, but unless you're being charged by the keystrokes, it isn't worth it. Most people here read English, so use standard English.
Your story is very heart wrenching...you're a better person than me...because I would be on ID....or I would have tried to move out asap(not saying you haven't tried) but I couldn't imagine being with people like that.

I also didn't think jewelry could get so dirty after a repair...what would be on it?

• Friendly
Reactions: brinny
Upvote 0

Far Side Of the Moon

Mar 11, 2016
Georgia
✟30,290.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
if you talk about $500 a week, you are somewhere in the middle of us salaries, which is not that bad (at least for starters) - will you believe me if i tell you i live with 150 a month?

Blessings
Its every 2 weeks and only if I work fulltime..bc of having limited transportation I only work 3 days so 2 weeks would be 280-ish

• Friendly
Upvote 0

joshua 1 9

Site Supporter
May 11, 2015
Northern Ohio
✟314,577.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
In other words, Far Side, you are not the only one.
The Bible clearly says your family will be your enemy. Our true family is the church. Our mothers, fathers, brothers and sisters are in the church.

Matthew 10:35 For I have come to turn ‘A man against his father, a daughter against her mother, a daughter-in-law against her mother-in-law. 36 A man’s enemies will be the members of his own household.’ 37 Anyone who loves his father or mother more than Me is not worthy of Me; anyone who loves his son or daughter more than Me is not worthy of Me.

Mathew 12:50 "For whoever does the will of my Father in heaven is my brother and sister and mother."

Mark 10 "28 Peter began to say to Him, “Look, we have left everything and followed You.” “Truly I tell you, said Jesus, “- no one who has left home or brothers or sisters or mother or father or children or fields for My sake and for the gospel 30 will fail to receive a hundredfold in the present age—houses and brothers and sisters and mothers and children and fields, along with persecutions—and to receive eternal life in the age to come.…"

Reactions: JAM2b
Upvote 0

fat wee robin

Jan 12, 2015
✟47,420.00
Country
France
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Upvote 0

StillGods

Aug 9, 2017
North Island
✟291,969.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Moving out paying rent and bills in a new place would probably be the same expense as living at home paying your share and a lot of theirs as you are doing now. Could you move out and get a place to live that is close to where you work so you can work fulltime without needing a car and just walk to work? It would save petrol as well!

Upvote 0

The Brown Brink

Apr 9, 2017
Kentucky
✟27,529.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
My jobs that is... I made 500, gave my mom 200 put gas in and she's mad bc I didn't pick my brother something up to eat...when I went out and she's mad at me.

I do get him something when he rides with me to when I drop my other brother off at work...

It just makes me mad because its like my mom is evaporating and she doesn't even care... She's sitting up there asking what my brother wants ... Saying, " oh u want that's that's fine ..I don't care" when I'm gonna be paying for it :/

Idk I feel so wrong like I should have gotten my brother something today
And been more inclusive ....

But my brother is 19 capable of working...but idk....I'm so confused...I feel angry because my money is leaving me so fast... I just want to scream and pull my hair out

I should have followed my first mind and not spend my money at all but I was so hungry coming off of work I had to get something... I wish I didn't

Idk do I have a right to be mad? I don't even know at this point ...but I just feel sad because my cousin is able to save her money and had 1,000 in her bank and because her parents are financial idiots ...
Uhg!

Idk... I'm just ready to quit these jobs because its so frustrating my mom keeps raking and taking ....I know she needs the help but Lord!
And its like if I say anything,about how fast my money is going ...I'm the bad guy...

I don't think money is changing me...

Idk I just feel so confused....if i can never save anything what's the point of working? In doing it for my health at this point...

Not to be mean but I didn't have a family...you know?( I didn't have 4 kids) I just wish my dad did his job and kept his job ...I just want to quit...at least when I wasn't working i wasn't this stressed .....

I really want to cry so bad...but around my mom I have to act like nothings wrong...man I just want to disappear.

I feel I'm darned if I do..darned if I don't :/

Am I being selfish? Please just tell me the truth.

Aw, honey.
Everything will be alright.

You have a right to be here, same as anyone.
You have a right to speak your thoughts.
You have a right to ask for what you need.

Speak them.
Ask for it.

Seek.

Upvote 0

Monk Brendan

Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2016
Phoenix, Arizona
Visit site
✟294,430.00
Country
United States
Faith
Melkite Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Idk why people don't think I pay my fair share. I do and then some. I don't make 500 a week ..if I did it would be no problem...its 500 every 2 weeks..it would be if I could work full time with my aunt , I can't since we only have 1 car so I can only work with her part time which is why I'm getting another job...

I am sorry, but this is what I meant when I said clear writing leads to clear thinking.

Okay, you get $500 every two weeks. Yes, I agree that to have to pay bills and give your mom $200 is a bit extreme. But it happened to me too, and much worse.

What type of public transportation is there in town? Can you take a bus to your aunt and then work full time? Are you still in school? I'm probably older than your parents, and maybe your grandparents as well. I remember when I had to take the bus to school, and I couldn't go anywhere afterwards, because there was only ONE car in the family, and my dad drove that to work and back.

If you're old enough, can you rent a small apartment close to work and school?

I will pray for you, that God will give you wisdom.

Upvote 0

Monk Brendan

Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2016
Phoenix, Arizona
Visit site
✟294,430.00
Country
United States
Faith
Melkite Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I also didn't think jewelry could get so dirty after a repair...what would be on it?

Jewelry making and repair sometimes requires cutting a ring (for instance) putting in another piece of the same type of metal (14K yellow gold for instance) welding it into place with 14K gold solder, then taking all of the extra away by filing with finer and finer files, and then taking it to this big loud motor running at 3500 rpm, and with different buffs and different media, taking any of the scratches out, and finally polishing it to a mirror polish. It is nasty, dirty, I inhaled tons of dust over my years, I have asthma because of it. Then it has to be cleaned, thoroughly. That means an ultrasonic cleaning machine, possibly steam cleaning, tooth brush, and a rinse in cold running water. Then it has to be dried, so there are no water spots. It's very messy. I started polishing jewelry when I was maybe 12 or 13 years old, and I didn't stop until my dad sold the store and left me without a job.

Nonetheless, I was offered, (in 1971) $25.00 an hour to work for a jewelry manufacturer, because I was one of the top ten in the Midwest. (Yes, I was that good.) I turned it down, because my folks needed me more.

Upvote 0

Sketcher

Born Imperishable
Feb 23, 2004
✟379,548.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Because its frustrating. My brother who's older than me and worked longer than I have has been able to save some money..he just pays a bill and that's it where.. I pay a bill and then some...as u can see from the calculations I did above.

I mean what would you do if you were working a job since April and haven't been able to save any money? In pretty sure you would be At least a little mad.
I'd be frustrated, but with what I know now, I would look for a better paying job before leaving the current one. When I was in school, I had a student aide job, which required me to take a certain amount of credits in order to keep it. Which I of course, had to pay for myself. Between that and a roommate situation falling apart, I quit and thought that I might be able to find work again soon. I was not able to.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Kit Sigmon

May 18, 2016
USA
✟76,189.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
My jobs that is... I made 500, gave my mom 200 put gas in and she's mad bc I didn't pick my brother something up to eat...when I went out and she's mad at me.

I do get him something when he rides with me to when I drop my other brother off at work...

It just makes me mad because its like my mom is evaporating and she doesn't even care... She's sitting up there asking what my brother wants ... Saying, " oh u want that's that's fine ..I don't care" when I'm gonna be paying for it :/

Idk I feel so wrong like I should have gotten my brother something today
And been more inclusive ....

But my brother is 19 capable of working...but idk....I'm so confused...I feel angry because my money is leaving me so fast... I just want to scream and pull my hair out

I should have followed my first mind and not spend my money at all but I was so hungry coming off of work I had to get something... I wish I didn't

Idk do I have a right to be mad? I don't even know at this point ...but I just feel sad because my cousin is able to save her money and had 1,000 in her bank and because her parents are financial idiots ...
Uhg!

Idk... I'm just ready to quit these jobs because its so frustrating my mom keeps raking and taking ....I know she needs the help but Lord!
And its like if I say anything,about how fast my money is going ...I'm the bad guy...

I don't think money is changing me...

Idk I just feel so confused....if i can never save anything what's the point of working? In doing it for my health at this point...

Not to be mean but I didn't have a family...you know?( I didn't have 4 kids) I just wish my dad did his job and kept his job ...I just want to quit...at least when I wasn't working i wasn't this stressed .....

I really want to cry so bad...but around my mom I have to act like nothings wrong...man I just want to disappear.

I feel I'm darned if I do..darned if I don't :/

Am I being selfish? Please just tell me the truth.

You already know the truth...nothing is going to change if you keep handing
them more and more of your money...you'll be there five years from now, working
two jobs and still be forking over money...stop enabling them.

Upvote 0

The Brown Brink

Apr 9, 2017
Kentucky
✟27,529.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I've been reading these replies, getting my heart broken for these dear, sweet people...

Oh, I wish you all had not suffered so!
Poor darlings...

Do please remember that you do an unkindness when you allow yourself to be treated badly.
It's an unkindness.
Plain and simple.

We're supposed to be kind to everybody, even ourselves.

We're supposed to be kind to ourselves.

Poor darlings...

Upvote 0

JAM2b

Sep 20, 2014
✟93,117.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
I haven't read everyone's responses, but to put my two cent in.

You need to agree to a set amount and stick to that. Short of an actual emergency do not give more than you are agree to pay.

I have been in this situation with my family after I divorced my husband. I was paying part of the bills at my mothers, buying all the food, and expected to do extra things that would also cost money (gas in the car, movie tickets, feeding guests, etc..) We agreed on a "rent" payment that would be a fair contribution, but it was not followed because they always expected more. Other relatives lived and stayed there without contributing at all.

I ended up having to leave my mother's home and go to a shelter to get out of the situation because they were keeping me so financially drained that I could not save money to move out and get on my own feet. In family situations it is easy for lines to be crossed and things to get blurry. You need to respect them, but you do not have to let them use you for money or exploit you.

If you have a friend or an acquaintance you could move in with and share expenses fairly, it might be a good idea to leave home before things escalate to a point where it is difficult to reconcile.

Upvote 0

woobadooba

Legend
Sep 4, 2005
✟10,191.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
You should do your part to contribute towards expenses you have created. But you should also set boundaries in your relationships with others—even close family members.

If you don't have boundaries, people will take advantage of you for the rest of your life, making you feel guilty about things you should not feel guilty about. Set boundaries in your relationships with others and be set free from manipulation and false guilt.

I recommend this book: Boundaries

Upvote 0

GirdYourLoins

Nov 27, 2016
Brighton, UK
✟122,682.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
How much money do your parents have? If they have lots of money but expect you to pay out of what you have is one thing. However, if they are working and pay all their money into the family and leave nothing for themselves and then see you with 300 dollars to yourself every 2 weeks I can understand why they want you to contribute more. If that is the case all of the family should be working and contributing.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Blade

Veteran
Site Supporter
Dec 29, 2002
USA
✟630,767.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Far Side Of the Moon, keep your eyes on Jesus. NO...keep your eyes on Jesus. Right to be mad? Well the words says..let not the sun go down upon your wrath. Don't let it go on for days :) I say this so much.. but you would be surprised how many really don't know it. They say it...but dont know it. JESUS IS REAL!

Your not alone.. do you know how many times JESUS wants to help but we do not let Him? If I keep giving you something but keep taking it back..what happens? Nothing. Its called FAITH. You cant see the answer..we see nothing but the problem, duh its EVERYWHERE. See the answer..God called those things that be not as though they were. We have the right to ask the Father for ANYTHING what ever we desire. So... His will is HIS WORD. Sad need joy? You feel pain sad crying.. He said..HIS JOY is your strength.

You ask.. ITS YOURS! Scared.. God has not given you the spirit of fear but power love and a sound mind. I can keep going. ALL of this ..is YOURS. All you have to do is KNOW He is for you.. not against you. He is for you. Tell Him everything..He is your FATHER. We HAVE to trust Him. That HE WILL do what He said.

Salvation, the joy of the lord, peace of God, supples all our needs. Again I can keep going. If we KNOW He hears us..then we know we have the petitions we asked for. His will is HIS word.

I am trying to say and not right. You take all of this.. you picture Jesus.. you give it all to Him. That means all.. all the pain all the tears all the needs. You just remind Him . as HE said in His word..remind Him..He said He will supply all your needs, His joy is your strength.. you have the peace of God..Jesus said..He gave us . HIS peace..not like this world. See.. if GOD said it.. He WILL do it.

Faith, trust that if you believe John 3:16...then YOU DO have ever lasting life. See believe that GOD can not ever lie....ever. And believe that bible is HIS word. We know all the things man has said. Just believe that when you give this over to Him.. you have nothing to worry about. HE CANT LIE! He is NOT like MAN. Trust Him. If you find your self taking it back.. toss it back to Him..say sorry.. keep going!

See even David said.. and I haver seen and I am 56...I have NEVER see the righteous forsaken or His seed begging for bread. Really want to see just what this GOD your FATHER can do? Take our eyes off every thing man says.. and just say.. Father.. thats it..I trust you. I am say..but your joy is my strength.. I am scared..but you have not given me the spirit of fear so I dont receive this.

See.. this works why? Its not just for you.. but those around you. He can see what you cant. And HE WILL make a way where this is no way! I do not say things to be nice...I dont say things I dont know. I can only speak what I Know. I read His word and I take HIM at His word. He loves you.. cry weep..HE IS HOLDING YOU! He will help you AND YOUR FAMILY. But.. even GOD needs the right. We are free.. He cant make us do say speak believe.. ask and then know your Daddy your GOD can not lie and even in the darkest time..you say NO! I will not be moved..MY GOD WILL NEVER FAIL ME!

There are doors windows you cant see.. and HE IS not might not maybe.. but IS opening them for you. Enemy only comes in when he sees GODS is moving or about to. To steal it away. So...repent if you need to and just talk to Him.. read HIs word..and rejoice! God heard you..

Upvote 0

Far Side Of the Moon

Mar 11, 2016
Georgia
✟30,290.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
UPDATE:
Well I have to give both my checks away. From both jobs.My moms check was shorted....my dad isn't working ...and my older brother said he has faith in God and will pray about it ( helping my mom with the rent)
I'm in the front seat with my dad and can't being myself to talk to him.

Upvote 0

JAM2b

Sep 20, 2014
✟93,117.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
I'm so sorry this is happening.

Give your family a time limit for ending their dependence on you. Search really hard for someone you can move in with or be roommates with, and have a fair arrangement with them. You don't have to let them use you, especially with a brother in the home who could also be working. You are not responsible for supporting other adults, even if they are family.

Upvote 0