I'm tired of giving religionists a pass

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

Jazer

As long as you persist and insist that "your" is acceptable grammar when you really mean you're.
I never said I had acceptable grammar. Is that what you want?
You want God to send someone to you that has elegant grammar?
That ain't me. I had to take English twice in college because
the first teacher flunked me. Second teacher gave me a C.

26 For you see your calling, brethren, that not many wise according to the flesh, not many mighty, not many noble, are called. 27 But God has chosen the foolish things of the world to put to shame the wise, and God has chosen the weak things of the world to put to shame the things which are mighty; 28 and the base things of the world and the things which are despised God has chosen, and the things which are not, to bring to nothing the things that are, 29 that no flesh should glory in His presence. 30 But of Him you are in Christ Jesus, who became for us wisdom from God—and righteousness and sanctification and redemption— 31 that, as it is written, “He who glories, let him glory in the LORD.”

Upvote 0

Phred

Junior Mint
Aug 12, 2003
✟22,717.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
I never said I had acceptable grammar. Is that what you want?
You want God to send someone to you that has elegant grammar?
That ain't me. I had to take English twice in college because
the first teacher flunked me. Second teacher gave me a C.
I want you to offer evidence that your god exists or stop referring to it like it does. Because what we have here is not "of god"... what we have here is a person with his own opinions and they are his own, not God's. You come here, you make your own mistakes and you refuse to own them.

Creationism is an invention of man. It's wrong. It's been proven wrong. You still cling to it. You offer up "god" as the reason but you can't show anyone that this "god" even exists much less created anything. And if you could show that the universe was created you couldn't prove it was YOUR god that did it.

I will not accept that God sent you here. Because that hypothesis is not real.

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,896,395.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
There is a book that says Paul Bunyan had a big blue ox named Babe. Do you believe that too?
Absolutely.

It's on sale for $18.95 -- free shipping and handling.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
C

cupid dave

Do you believe everything you read?

There is a book that says Paul Bunyan had a big blue ox named Babe. Do you believe that too?

No, of course I don't...

LOL

But do you believe that Truth is the salvation for mankind or should we live the insanity of lies?

The whole present amazing modern world comes to us because of the Truth we have constructed concerning the Physical World.

How much better for us that we face the Truth about the personal world of our politics and ciltiral behaviors???

Upvote 0
C

crimsonleaf

As a member of a number of fora I'm surprised that no one has pointed out that we must not "Feed the Trolls".

There are many types of atheists, just as there are Christians. Broadly, they fall into two camps: the apathetic, who obviously don't care enough to be bothered, and the concerned, who hang around Christian fora.

Why they do this is a matter for conjecture. Is it because they want to save us from our foolish beliefs? Is it because they want applause from their peers because of their intellect and wit? Is it because their TVs are broken, or is it because they are riddled with doubt, much like latent homosexuals will beat up gays? Surely they don't think anything will change as a result of their baiting? One common trait is the hatred of the God they think doesn't exist - a real paradox. You see it all the time - "Why did your God do this", "Why did your God do that..."

One thing is for certain: we're on nearly 30 pages of pointless bickering, started by one atheist who was bored/up for a fight and who immediately gained the support of two or three of his hyena-like bretheren who thought they'd have some sport with a few Christians for a while.

Another certain fact is that not one atheist here can say that God doesn't exist without risking his or her intellectual integrity. I'll admit that I can't categorically state that the Flying Spaghetti Monster doesn't exist - only that I find its existence unlikely. And that's as far as any atheist can go too. Lack of belief isn't proof of non-existence. You can't prove a negative.

Most Christians aren't a-scientific. We all believe in science to some degree or another, but we recognise its limitations. It still doesn't answer the big questions. Someone will point out that it doesn't YET, and I'll have to point out how much of a faith statement that is in itself. What is likely is that many of the scientific beliefs held today will have changed 50 years from now. 200 years from now people will laugh at some of the theories held by the scientists of today.

On the other hand those things that we believe to be true of God have endured for over 2,000 years (and counting).

So, as a challenge I'll ask a question: who in this thread, or in any argument from both sides, has had their mind changed on the essentials? And a follow up question: Then why bother arguing?

Upvote 0

Phred

Junior Mint
Aug 12, 2003
✟22,717.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
He majes sense.

"Go ye over all the world preaching the Father, the Son, and the Holy Ghost" was the order from god which sent him to this thread.
No... he makes no sense. He doesn't just believe this and live his life based upon it... he enters discussions of scientific concepts and throws out "god". Then he expects to be taken seriously and have his beliefs respected. I will accept your beliefs. I will accept that you believe them. I will not respect them. They are ridiculous. The world is not 6,000 years old, or 10,000 years old, like that makes it better... You can't take a quote from a book, proclaim that your god inspired it and then because you said so expect that everyone will give you free rein to enter your belief into a scientific discussion as if you had an equivalent point. You don't.

Upvote 0

Phred

Junior Mint
Aug 12, 2003
✟22,717.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
As a member of a number of fora I'm surprised that no one has pointed out that we must not "Feed the Trolls".
Creationists are by definition, "trolls" and yet you not only feed them you encourage them.

There are many types of atheists, just as there are Christians. Broadly, they fall into two camps: the apathetic, who obviously don't care enough to be bothered, and the concerned, who hang around Christian fora.
I'm not convinced. There are several who hang around this forum. Mainly, and I speak for myself and a couple of others, not to change minds but to inform the lurkers. Not in favor of atheism. I don't care if you believe in a god or not. I do care if you believe in things that are proven false because of misleading and often blatantly false statements made by people who know better but subscribe to the concept that something said enough times becomes true in the minds of those that hear it.

Why they do this is a matter for conjecture. Is it because they want to save us from our foolish beliefs? Is it because they want applause from their peers because of their intellect and wit? Is it because their TVs are broken, or is it because they are riddled with doubt, much like latent homosexuals will beat up gays? Surely they don't think anything will change as a result of their baiting? One common trait is the hatred of the God they think doesn't exist - a real paradox. You see it all the time - "Why did your God do this", "Why did your God do that..."
If you believe in it then you should have explanations for what you believe, no? I can't hate something I don't believe exists. I can try to make you think about why an all-powerful, all-knowing being would bother to do some of the things the Bible says it did.

One thing is for certain: we're on nearly 30 pages of pointless bickering, started by one atheist who was bored/up for a fight and who immediately gained the support of two or three of his hyena-like bretheren who thought they'd have some sport with a few Christians for a while.
Do you always pretend to read minds? Or call names like a playground bully? It isn't about any of the things you offer. But whatever makes you feel better... right?

Another certain fact is that not one atheist here can say that God doesn't exist without risking his or her intellectual integrity. I'll admit that I can't categorically state that the Flying Spaghetti Monster doesn't exist - only that I find its existence unlikely. And that's as far as any atheist can go too. Lack of belief isn't proof of non-existence. You can't prove a negative.
I can't say all gods don't exist. I can say the Christian god, the one in the Bible does not exist. Contradictions cannot exist and if the words of Christians are to be taken seriously then the Bible is perfect and every word is true. If this is the case then the being described cannot exist.

Most Christians aren't a-scientific. We all believe in science to some degree or another, but we recognise its limitations. It still doesn't answer the big questions. Someone will point out that it doesn't YET, and I'll have to point out how much of a faith statement that is in itself. What is likely is that many of the scientific beliefs held today will have changed 50 years from now. 200 years from now people will laugh at some of the theories held by the scientists of today.
While some Christians will still be holding to the creation account that was proven false in the 1800s. That's not noble and it's not something to be admired. Thing is, you don't recognize the limitations of science, you manufacture new ones. You only recognize things that you can't help but recognize. There's a difference between outright changing and getting closer to the overall target. Everytime we find new information and evidence we refine what we know. Yes, likely we'll find some things funny. Just like we find Aether funny now. We don't pretend to have a book with all the answers in it. The first three words there are the most important... we don't pretend.

On the other hand those things that we believe to be true of God have endured for over 2,000 years (and counting).
right... who cares if they're true or false as long as you believe them? Of course, human beings have been around for hundreds of thousands of years and your deity only let himself be known a coupla thousand years ago. All those different gods that man made up and then discarded. Surely they aren't the same as the one you have now, are they? Are they?

So, as a challenge I'll ask a question: who in this thread, or in any argument from both sides, has had their mind changed on the essentials? And a follow up question: Then why bother arguing?
Irrelevant. I don't expect that any creationist who can manage to make him or herself ignore the evidence in front of them is going to be changed by hearing it presented in more detail. The point is that the evidence is there. And people know it. You won't succeed in keeping it from people. You've managed to keep it out of textbooks and you've got teachers scared to teach it in schools... how proud you must be. But still the truth does get out. I, like others here, are going to keep telling the real Word. Knowledge. Science. How we know what is real and what is not.

I'm sure you don't like it when you're directly challenged. You'd like a world where any "religious" statements are respected and not challenged. But you entered the discussion and you tried to make your views scientific. You left your church and tried to make everyone listen to your views. I have every right to enter a forum like this and be sure the truth is heard as well.

And I applaud the Christians that aren't fanatics and fringe-types who allow us atheists and such to be here. Frankly, I suspect if the world were full of more of you and less of the others I wouldn't NEED to be here.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Loudmouth

Contributor
Aug 26, 2003
Visit site
✟98,005.00
Faith
Agnostic
Why they do this is a matter for conjecture. Is it because they want to save us from our foolish beliefs?

Speaking for myself, the watering down and outright removal of science from schools is a tragedy. This is being done in the name of christian theologic purity. When religions are allowed to spread ignorance then I will stand up to it. Since creationists refuse to engage the scientific community, the only place to confront it is in forums like these.

One common trait is the hatred of the God they think doesn't exist - a real paradox

Atheists don't hate God any more than you hate Santa Claus when you get a bad present at Christmas. It is misconceptions like this that compel us to post in these forums.

You see it all the time - "Why did your God do this", "Why did your God do that..."

Just like we would ask someone "How could Santa Claus carry all those presents". We are showing you the inconsistency of your beliefs.

I see that we are getting to you.

Another certain fact is that not one atheist here can say that God doesn't exist without risking his or her intellectual integrity.

No one here is saying that some deity of some type doesn't exist. What we are addressing is the positive claims made by theists. Theists claim that God DOES exist, and we are asking for the evidence. If there is no evidence, then these assertions are empty. We are putting the burden of proof where it belongs.

Most Christians aren't a-scientific. We all believe in science to some degree or another, but we recognise its limitations.

As Phred accurately stated, you do not recognize limitations. You invent them. For example, dad states that science can't look back more than a few thousand years. This is a completely invented limitation.

Someone will point out that it doesn't YET, and I'll have to point out how much of a faith statement that is in itself.

You forgot part of it. Science hasn't discovered everything YET, BUT SCIENTISTS ARE LOOKING. This is the opposite of creationists. Creationists close their eyes and stop looking. They even go as far as taking science out of textbooks so others can not see the evidence either. Read my signature.

What is likely is that many of the scientific beliefs held today will have changed 50 years from now. 200 years from now people will laugh at some of the theories held by the scientists of today.

Why is that a bad thing? Are you afraid of progress or something?

I have no doubt that human gullibility is a common thing through the ages.

who in this thread, or in any argument from both sides, has had their mind changed on the essentials? And a follow up question: Then why bother arguing?

To show that no evidence will change the mind of creationists. That's the entire point. All we need to show is that it is empty dogma.

Upvote 0

Loudmouth

Contributor
Aug 26, 2003
Visit site
✟98,005.00
Faith
Agnostic
But do you believe that Truth is the salvation for mankind or should we live the insanity of lies?

Why should I believe that? What evidence do you have that backs up your assertions?

The whole present amazing modern world comes to us because of the Truth we have constructed concerning the Physical World.

Evidence please.

How much better for us that we face the Truth about the personal world of our politics and ciltiral behaviors???

Is this the same Truth that compels people to cheer when Ron Paul said that people without health insurance can just die?

Upvote 0
C

cupid dave

The world is not 6,000 years old, or 10,000 years old, like that makes it better...

I agree that the cosmos is 13.5 nillion years pld, but ut was created in seven eras of long durations like Gegesis says:

The 24 hour day was not created until the sun was nade authority over the solar clock.

The seven eras see thumb below:

Attachments

• a012b9e3.jpg
    a012b9e3.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 33
Upvote 0
C

cupid dave

dave:

Why should I believe that? What evidence do you have that backs up your assertions?

Evidence please.

Well if we believe and live in accord with lies the world is a fantasy of our own making.
Insanity is described as living in a fantasy world and avoiding Reality.

Upvote 0

Phred

Junior Mint
Aug 12, 2003
✟22,717.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
I agree that the cosmos is 13.5 nillion years pld, but ut was created in seven eras of long durations like Gegesis says:

The 24 hour day was not created until the sun was nade authority over the solar clock.

The seven eras see thumb below:
That's waffling. Give me 13 billion years and I'll create a universe too. The entire point was that God was so freakin' almighty that he not only created the entire universe but he did it in ONE week. And he created the earth right at the beginning of that week.

You know as well as I do that unless you apologize the heck out of Genesis it is NOT relevant.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.