Springfield
✟7,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvary Chapel
Marital Status
Single
Hey all, I've been attending Calvary Chapel since I was a kid, but I'm thinking about maybe making a change. I've been reading a lot about the Church Fathers and the Jewish roots of the Christian faith, and I think I might want to become Catholic. My girlfriend is Catholic, and we've been going between her Church and Calvary Chapel for a couple months. But she always has to go to mass every week, no matter what. Anyway, I just wanted to get some feedback. What are your thoughts?

TheOldWays

Candidate
May 28, 2014
✟125,030.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I tried to be Catholic. Always liked mass and praying the rosary. But it was the RCIA that always stopped me. Having to go to 'school' for a year to join the church was lame. But I think if you like that kind of thing it could be rewarding. Still wouldn't mind being Catholic one day.

• Friendly
Reactions: anna ~ grace
Upvote 0

Godlovesmetwo

Fringe Catholic
Mar 16, 2016
Antwerp
✟17,860.00
Country
Djibouti
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
Having to go to 'school' for a year to join the church was lame.
two schools of thought on this :)
1) maybe Protestant Churches should have the same thing
2) I'd like to see the Catholic RCIA program deepened, with more substance. Not just handing out some Rosary Beads. "Here, say the Joyful Mysteries on Thursday"

• Informative
Upvote 0

John Stephenson

Apr 10, 2017
Springfield
✟7,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvary Chapel
Marital Status
Single
I tried to be Catholic. Always liked mass and praying the rosary. But it was the RCIA that always stopped me. Having to go to 'school' for a year to join the church was lame. But I think if you like that kind of thing it could be rewarding. Still wouldn't mind being Catholic one day.

I know that you can get around RCIA by going to some priests who have the time to work with you. My girlfriend knows a Baptist who got into the Catholic Church in just six weeks.

• Informative
Upvote 0

CountVicta

Apr 10, 2017
Spring Arbor
✟15,211.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
In Gordon MacDonald's book "Forging a Real World Faith" a particular chapter is enlightening for you, that is chapter six, "God is Multilingual." The main assertion is that "the conditions in which Christ-followers most naturally send and receive 'signals' to God are diverse, and we cannot make the mistake of prescribing any single way as best for all."

Each particular denomination has a certain style, culture, or tradition that worships or understands God in a slightly different way.

MacDonald identifies six instincts that Christians have to communicate, understand, and relate with God (I will list the general ideas of them below). I would advise you look especially at the Aesthetic Instinct, because this one is the most similar to Catholicism, and compare it with the other Instincts to see where you fit. If you like the tradition, incense, and atmosphere of Catholic or Orthodox churches, I would advise you convert, because then you will be closer to God, and worshiping and understanding him in a way that you most closely identify with.

However, if you are not Aesthetic but something else, I would advise you do not convert, because the tradition and atmosphere and repetition of Catholicism could end up driving you crazy or even pushing you further away from God if you are not connecting with him in the way that is easiest for you. Not every way is the same for everyone, so while your girlfriend may be Aesthetic, it would be foolish for you to convert if you were not as well (this is all assuming you know Catholic theology as well, such as things like the intercession of saints, and purgatory, and you have no problems with those kind of matters). I hope this helps. Do what brings you closer to God, not what brings you closer to your girlfriend. Keep in mind also that there are possibly other denominations that may be more appealing to you in relating to God.

Good luck, I hope this helps.

I. The Aesthetic Instinct (The agenda is majesty): "We are describing a person who seeks to be overwhelmed and impressed by the majesty and infinitude of God, and he most experiences it in the context of artistic and liturgical excellence ... the way things look and sound and connect is very, very important."

II. The Experiential Instinct (The agenda is joy): "I'm thinking of a Christ-follower who wants to 'feel' the presence of God when he meets him and to respond with the full range of emotions and even physical expression. Thus, an unaffected clapping of hands, stomping of feet, and even dancing singing and praying with unbridled enthusiasm, weeping and laughing."

III. The Activist Instinct (The agenda is achievement): "The activist sees all of Christ-following as service ... We're speaking of a person who is driven by compassion for the disadvantaged, or by prophetic anger against oppression ... he sees the world in desperate need of change, and he's committed to changing it."

IV. The Contemplative Instinct (The agenda is listening): "His instinct is to meet God not in the midst of a busy project but in the quiet of his inner life; that great space of the soul where one meditates, listens, and broods on the wordless whispers of a God who meets His people in solitude and silence."

V. The Student Instinct (The agenda is truth): "the student believes that God is the most profoundly discovered in Bible study ... out of this may flow a great theology, a framework for understanding as much as possible who God is and how He acts."

VI. The Relational Instinct (The agenda is love): "The relationalist is convinced that God is most present and intimate when people experience an unusual bonding together for fellowship or worship or mutual support ... the relationalist swims in people values."

Upvote 0

TheOldWays

Candidate
May 28, 2014
✟125,030.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
1) maybe Protestant Churches should have the same thing

hehe maybe

2) I'd like to see the Catholic RCIA program deepened, with more substance. Not just handing out some Rosary Beads. "Here, say the Joyful Mysteries on Thursday"

it all seemed forced to me. but i think different congregations have different styles of RCIA. Just have to find the right one I suppose.

Upvote 0

Waggles

Acts 2:38
Site Supporter
Feb 7, 2017
South Oz
Visit site
✟112,244.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Widowed
and I think I might want to become Catholic. ... Anyway, I just wanted to get some feedback. What are your thoughts?
If you love the Word of God and want to be obedient to the scriptures ...

Do not do it!!!
Be a Christian through the application of the scriptures to guide your faith, not the worldly traditions and
teachings of a Church corrupted by traditions, Papal teachings and doctrines, the love of money, the worshipping of sacred relics, statues and icons.

And I heard another voice from heaven, saying: Go out from her, my people; that you be not partakers of her sins and that you receive not of her plagues.
For her sins have reached unto heaven: and the Lord hath remembered her iniquities.
Revelation 18:4-5

Upvote 0

L'hitraot

Jul 17, 2017
missouri
✟15,989.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
My family is Jewish and we were forced to convert to Catholicism in Europe...
My family heritage was lost until 1988 when we found out.
I was raised in the RCC... a friend of mine asked me a question in second grade "Where in Scripture does it say to pray to Mary?" I searched for that answer and at age 21 still could not find it in Gods Word.
Catholicism is constructed like Rabbinic Judaism High Priest- Pope, Layers of officials- Layers of priests, Rabbinic Judaism Sophrim, Tanaim,Amoraim) made their own laws apart from the Biblical text (Gods inspired Word) these are known as the Gamara, Mishna and other writings that make up the Talmud. The Catholic Church also engages in many new laws that are none Biblical.
These are a few additions you will not find in the Bible.
>Infant baptism .. ensures income as they get older, Babies cannot come to the understanding they sin and fall short of Gods perfection thereby needing a Savior saving them from the wrath of God. (see Galatians 1)
> Justification by works, God says only the work of Jesus Christ is sufficient for Salvation our works is like a filthy rag it cannot save. (Isa 64:6)
>Praying to images of "Saints, Jesus said pray to the Father in My name, because He alone lived a sinless life and by His work alone can we come before God the Father (2 thess 1)
>Celibacy Marriage Honors God for it is a picture of Gods Love for the Church His Bride whom He gave up His life for to free us... Celibacy perverts this, marriage is Gods 1st institution Adam and Eve.
>Confession, Jesus died for our sin we are to go to the Father alone confessing in Jesus name to restore a right walk with Him.
>Purgatory, No such thing but generated allot of money for the RCC, Biblically only heaven and hell then the Lake of Fire.
>Trans-substantiation, claims the wafer and wine turn into literal flesh and blood... a false teaching.
>Indulgences, money demanded to pay for sin and to lessen time spent in Purgatory.
>Penance, self mutilation self whipping, glass shards in shoes. nail belt. etc to pay for sins committed whether real or accused of.
>Maryology the deifying of Mary, something the Bible does not support, recently the RCC has proclaimed Mary a "God"
Gotta run but watch "Lamp in the dark" untold story of the Bible... it shows the conflict between Christianity and Catholicism.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Waggles

Acts 2:38
Site Supporter
Feb 7, 2017
South Oz
Visit site
✟112,244.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Widowed
For example, (1) they don't love money, and (2) they don't worship sacred relics, statues and icons.
I was Roman Catholic all my life from birth until 20 years ago when I was
converted by the truth of the Apostolic gospel of salvation and became Pentecostal.

I know much about the corruption, the history of Rome and the Popes, the preaching of
false doctrines, the worship of Mary over Jesus, the worship of relics and dead saints,
the love of money, false miracles and wonders, Fatima, Babylonian and pagan roots,
worldly power - but worse: the slaughter of millions of "heretics", Bible translators and
protestants over the centuries.

I thank God I found the gospel in the scriptures - the Words of eternal life.

Upvote 0

FreeinChrist

CF Advisory team
Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2003
USA/Belize
✟1,748,098.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
MOD HAT

Folks, remember this site rule:

Congregational Forum Restrictions
Members who do not truly share the core beliefs and teachings of a specific congregational forum may post in fellowship or ask questions, but they may not teach or debate within the forum.​

This forum is for Calvary Chapel members. It is not okay to debate against their beliefs or to promote another church. It is certainly not okay to flame.

A clean up was done.​

Upvote 0

Tayla

Site Supporter
Sep 30, 2017
USA
✟147,315.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
I was a Calvary Chapel worship leader and pastor. Seems to me if you want to become Catholic, you shouldn't be discussing it in a pro-Calvary Chapel forum because they will likely only encourage you to stay; you will not learn the other perspective.

By the way, I strongly support Calvary Chapel. My wife and friends all belong.

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
By the way, I strongly support Calvary Chapel.
By what you wrote in the other thread, it sure does not sound like "support."

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Tayla

Site Supporter
Sep 30, 2017
USA
✟147,315.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
By what you wrote in the other thread, it sure does not sound like "support."
Facts are facts. I support Calvary Chapel with knowledge of the facts. I consider Martin Luther to be a great man of God even though he introduced doctrines I don't agree with.

Upvote 0

anna ~ grace

Site Supporter
May 9, 2010
✟108,146.93
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hey all, I've been attending Calvary Chapel since I was a kid, but I'm thinking about maybe making a change. I've been reading a lot about the Church Fathers and the Jewish roots of the Christian faith, and I think I might want to become Catholic. My girlfriend is Catholic, and we've been going between her Church and Calvary Chapel for a couple months. But she always has to go to mass every week, no matter what. Anyway, I just wanted to get some feedback. What are your thoughts?

Pray, read, study, pray, listen to some EWTN, pray and study some more. It'll be a journey. Wish I could take it with you all! God bless you!

Upvote 0

anna ~ grace

Site Supporter
May 9, 2010
✟108,146.93
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
There is a beautiful, beautiful, beautiful depth in Catholicism that has been very much obscured, de-emphasized, or ignored by some in recent decades. But it's still there. EWTN (a cable TV station) was a huge help to me, and I tune into EWTN radio when I can. There are plenty of resources, just look, pray, ask questions of Catholics, and put one foot in front of the other, slowly. My advise? Take your time. Seek Christ with your girlfriend, make charity and purity your personal goals, and pray together. Can't go wrong with that.

Upvote 0

Soyeong

Mar 10, 2015
Hudson
✟283,922.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single

Why did studying the Jewish roots of our faith lead you to want to become Catholic? In my view, Catholics are guilty of setting aside the commands of God in order to establish their own traditions.

Upvote 0

prodromos

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 28, 2003
Sydney, Straya
✟1,178,560.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
You should both look into the Orthodox Church :)

• Agree
Reactions: Glaucus
Upvote 0