I'm stuck, and I'm not getting out. Please.. I need help!

gpsugy

Aug 2, 2010
✟15,118.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hi. I'm actually not sure if this thread should be in this section, and for that I'm sorry, but please understand that I am desperate for help..

I have been going to church all of my life, but realized just recently that I was not truly saved to begin with -- right now, I'm not even sure I can call myself a "Christian" to post this in this section. I feel like i am in a very serious spiritual struggle in my life right now. I have been reading Scripture addressing how few little people will enter the narrow gate of heaven and how God will not hear prayers from certain people. After reflecting on this, these ideas in the Bible made me realize how weak my faith is -- that i may actually have no faith at all.

I've searched in-depth to see what people that God hears prayers from, and I have found out that it is the humble people that have confessed and repented their sins. I have always looked over those verses of confessing/repenting sins without much thought, but for some reason (I'm beginning to think it the work of the Holy Spirit) I have noticed the vast extent of the sins in my daily life. Things that I have done/been doing that I thought were harmless are now vividly evil to me.

I have been on an international vacation trip for about 2 months now, and I think I would have to call this trip a "retreat." I have found a very passionate and moving church where I am right now, and up until now, I thought that God had truly changed me through this church, and that I was "re-saved" after realizing that I was not saved for so many years. I cried openly and felt genuinely sorry for the sins that had been taking hold of my life for so many years, but today, I realized again that I am not saved. Those tears... may have been for show - no, they were certainly not for sure. I truly repented for my sins - but only for the sins that were obviously evil. I'm not too sure myself -- I'm not too sure of anything these days. I have been sitting in front of my computer for hours trying to see my true intentions with regard to God. I have realized the things that I do back at home - watching television, playing video games, and wasting time in general - is much worse than I had thought at first.

I do not want to really discuss the "ethics" of gaming or television or anything of that sort. I deeply understand now that anything that is neither harmful or harmless to a person's spiritual walk with God is a waste of time. I mean, why watch TV (regardless or not if the program you watch is bad) when you could be reading Scripture? This question has been... "haunting" me, if you will, ever since it rose in my mind.

Nothing in this world matters other than doing the will of God, am I right? That would mean that everything else is a waste of God's time given to His people, and therefore, must be a sin! Now I look at my lifestyle back at home - how I waste days in entertainment, work, school, etc - when I should be using ALL of that time to do the will of God!

There's a huge problem, however - the place that I am stuck. I know that the things of this world are evil. I know that the things that I do on a daily basis (playing games and watching TV) are evil and a waste of time. Right now, while I'm away from my home overseas, I am resisting to do both of these things. That would be fine, but like I said, I feel like I'm on a retreat. I am almost completely sure that when I return home, I will easily fall into my old lifestyle and watch TV and play games.

And so, I am stuck - right now. After I post this entry, I will pretty much be doing nothing. Am I afraid? I don't know. I know God does not hear me - not right now. I don't belong in the category of "the people that He can hear." I have realized that since I don't have a strong hate for the evil things that I do so easily back at home, I must not love God, for as Jesus said in the gospel: you cannot love one and love the other. If you hate one, you will love the other, and vice-versa. After realizing that I don't hate the things of this world, it'd be expected that I would just live a life of sin and reject the whole idea of Christianity - but that's not what's happening.

I can't indulge myself in the evil things I have done daily while knowing that they are evil and "abominations" to the eyes of God. Like I said, I'm stuck. I'm stuck in between enjoying evil in this world as entertainment, and giving every second of my life in doing the will of God (in my mind, this means never to stop reading the Bible). I cannot do either! I can't choose! I don't want to do something when I know that it is evil - something that God hates... but I also don't think I can read the Bible every single second of my life and give up the things that I have become a part of my daily life so completely and easily! So, for now... I am doing nothing. I don't know - that probably is evil, too, but I just... can't. I'm confused and helpless. I need help. Please - someone. God cannot hear me right now, so I need someone that God hears to help me. Or if that is too obscure, I at least am looking for the answer to the question: Since a waste of time not doing God's will is a sin, shouldn't Christians be reading Scripture, doing missions, evangelizing, etc every second of their lives? Shouldn't every Christian become a pastor, then? A person that completely lives and works for God? If that's true, how can I do that...

Please help me. I will be waiting. Thank you for taking your time. I hope that God will be speaking through you to me.

love_123

Jesus is Lord
May 18, 2010
✟15,267.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I am sure God hears you. The Bible actually says that God even hears prayers of those who don't yet believe in Him.

The thing you realise that you are not saved is a lie from the devil. You feel guilty to do evil. that's good. it's time for you to walk in the Lord's victory.

To live out victory in Christ, May God bring you to read my blog 'overwhelming victory is ours as we surrender to Christ'. I believe it is central to our belief and essential for you to live out the new life -- the life of Christ we receive by God's grace, the nature of which is not sinful but perfect to God.

we were all somewhat like you before we receive victory. don't worry, 'if you confess your sins to God, He is faithful to cleanse you from all unrighteousness.'

but are you baptised? if you are not, then you are not totally saved. be baptised.

also hear church sermons, go to church, engage with your Christian brothers and sisters. it wouldn't do you good if you get along maily with weak believers for they would most likely bring you to fall with them. you ought to be involved with more mature believers and elder people--for they have experienced , knew more deeply about God and even walked from the problems you have, so they may give you credible and valuable advices in Christ. i believe it's a problem that young people just go to their youth ministry. i dont mean to criticise anyone or offend anyone but even the youth pastors themselves don't know much about the truth, or they know the truth but are not yet dealt with by the Cross. don't just be around young people, but also some elder people. the grandmas and grandpas in Christ you meet at church are more than happy to help you grow in Christ, to walk your whole life with God along.

one of my American landladies suggested me to watch Dr. Charles Stanley's sermons. if you are not in his city, you can watch it on intouch.org. He is really a seasoned and wise Christian to teach you. and I really pray God brings you to a non-denominational church.

whenever you read scriptures, even at church, if the pastors don't pray the Holy Spirit to guide you, you must. because without the Holy Spirit's edifications, nobody can understand God's word in His way.

not every Christian is deemed to be a pastor. we are created by God to do what He created us for. all Christians together makeup the body of Christ. We are all part of this body. we have different functions, like ear and mouth are for different purposes. you have your own mission, but not necessarily a pastor's mission to serve God totally. God uses Christians to take back His authority over this earth, the world, from the devil, and that is not just the authority as a pastor. for example, US presidents are Christian, this means they do things according to God's will, they obey God. if you are a teacher, you don't do things the worldly way, but obey God. think of scientists. arent advances of our societies done by Christians?! we all influence others in a certain way, and as Christians we influence them we Christ that lives in us.

God doesn't want to control the world by Himself, but plans to do it by reaching out to Christians. i first believed there is God because all world wars end with the devil lost. now, i understand, God doesn't directly fight for His power, but through His people.

Upvote 0

Jakihe

A Light in the Darkness
Jul 25, 2010
Europe
✟8,342.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
God does hear you.
It is apparent to me, that from your words, God has brought you to a place where you are facing yourself right now. He does that because He loves us and does hear us.
I think you are feeling that you have to be perfect.
I do believe we need to try and live a Holy life, with Jesus as our example, but understand that if we could be perfect, Jesus would not have had to die in our place. He IS perfect and bore our sins and bears our imperfections now.
Let Holiness be your goal and always do your best, and take it all one moment at a time.
Of course satan wants you to look ahead, before tomorrow ever gets here, and doubt your walk with God. He wants you to believe you are not good enough for God. Don't believe his lies.
Being aware of our sins is a good thing! How else can we improve our walk with God?
Avoid all the sin you can and continue to seek Jesus in the areas where you need strength, daily. He will continue to give it to you.
God knows your heart.
Blessings :angel:

Upvote 0

gpsugy

Aug 2, 2010
✟15,118.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I want to thank you both for your thorough and quick replies with much gratitude. I have been struggling this whole day while waiting for a reply. Your assurance that God actually hears me has relieved me beyond belief. After I had posted my first thread, I had truly believed that God could not hear me. At times where I would usually pray, I realized how different my life would be if God truly could not hear me. I would be praying to no one - no, I would be talking to myself. Having no God that could hear my problems and thoughts meant that I would be alone. I absolutely could not stand that idea. All of my life I have been comfortable and sure of protection - that I could go to God for help just by prayer - but if God did not hear me all that time, what was I doing? I realized throughout today that I could not live a life like that. I need God. How could I go through this dangerous world where Satan has so much power... alone? Who would I go to to share my insecurities? There would be absolutely no one, and I would have to face all of the dangerous, horrible things in this world to their full extent. That idea... was clearly understood by me today. I was able to feel what it would be like if God truly could not hear me, for I truly believed he could not hear me. It was unbelievably frightening. So to both of you, I thank you. To not have any communication with God, I was - for the first time in many years - truly feared sleep. Anything could happen if God could not see or hear me.

I have decided starting now that I would certainly try my best to become as sinless as possible - although, I can only assure that I will progress "one step at a time." I still have a question unanswered, however: If our goal should be to strive for Holiness, then wouldn't God expect us to completely give every second of our lives to Him? I believe that if I truly loved God with all my heart, soul, and mind, my life would be spent reading the Bible for a massive portion of the time I am awake, and the rest spent evangelizing, donating, serving the church, etc. Is that what God expects of us? No TV, no comfortable lifestyle, and no wasting of time?

I feel that only when the life that I described above is achieved, I can truly know that I am saved. Seriously, if I believed and loved God immensely, such a life would certainly be possible, wouldn't it? Of course, I understand that as humans, we are not perfect, and so we will fail, but if we truly strive for Holiness, I don't think such a lifestyle would not be too hard to establish (considering years were taken to reach that point). Did I sidetrack? I'm sorry for ranting, but confusion has taken over my mind once again. What I need to know is what my life should look like when I am truly saved - truly qualified to enter the Kingdom of Heaven. I need to know what to honestly expect - not any easier and not any harder than it truly is. If such a lifestyle is expected of truly saved people, Jesus' teaching that only a few would enter the narrow gate of Heaven makes sense, but I need to know for sure if that lifestyle is truly expected of Him - that any less would truly be... fake.

Thank you for your time. Again, I greatly appreciate your replies, for I know God has spoken to me through them. I hope that you would be able to understand my worries and thoughts, and that God would again speak to me through you. Thank you all.

P.S. to love 123 - Yes, I have been baptized.

Upvote 0

Jakihe

A Light in the Darkness
Jul 25, 2010
Europe
✟8,342.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It's amazing to know God, isn't it?

I have decided starting now that I would certainly try my best to become as sinless as possible - although, I can only assure that I will progress "one step at a time."

Hey, no one can do better than that. :)
Romans 3 We all sin and fall short of the glory of God

I still have a question unanswered, however: If our goal should be to strive for Holiness, then wouldn't God expect us to completely give every second of our lives to Him? I believe that if I truly loved God with all my heart, soul, and mind, my life would be spent reading the Bible for a massive portion of the time I am awake, and the rest spent evangelizing, donating, serving the church, etc. Is that what God expects of us? No TV, no comfortable lifestyle, and no wasting of time?

I agree with the no wasting of time and I also know studying the word is so beneficial, but there are many ways to glorify and serve God. As you said, helping and serving others, telling others of Christ, letting your light shine by setting a good example, wherever you go.....God doesn't object to clean, wholesome entertainment as long as it never gets in the way of your worship.

I feel that only when the life that I described above is achieved, I can truly know that I am saved. Seriously, if I believed and loved God immensely, such a life would certainly be possible, wouldn't it? Of course, I understand that as humans, we are not perfect, and so we will fail, but if we truly strive for Holiness, I don't think such a lifestyle would not be too hard to establish (considering years were taken to reach that point). Did I sidetrack?

I think if we are determined enough, yes! With God, anything is possible! :)

I'm sorry for ranting, but confusion has taken over my mind once again. What I need to know is what my life should look like when I am truly saved - truly qualified to enter the Kingdom of Heaven. I need to know what to honestly expect - not any easier and not any harder than it truly is. If such a lifestyle is expected of truly saved people, Jesus' teaching that only a few would enter the narrow gate of Heaven makes sense, but I need to know for sure if that lifestyle is truly expected of Him - that any less would truly be... fake.

There is no one who can truly say what life would look like when one has salvation. I do my very best and continue to improve with each day. We all have different views on the details, but you will feel a satisfaction in your heart when you know you are doing your best.

Thank you for your time. Again, I greatly appreciate your replies, for I know God has spoken to me through them. I hope that you would be able to understand my worries and thoughts, and that God would again speak to me through you. Thank you all.

You are so welcome. God is so good, isn't He? I do understand your worries, I've had them myself from time to time. Talk to you again ~ God bless you, in Jesus

P.S. to love 123 - Yes, I have been baptized. Ah, good! :amen:[/QUOTE]

Upvote 0

Saved_n_kept

Pilgrim and Stranger
Aug 1, 2010
Tarbert, Argyll.
Visit site
✟17,152.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
Hi, thanks for being so honest about your feelings. You have a lot of questions and it is not easy to give you accurate answers without a better understanding of your situation. However perhaps a few basics will help.
Firstly a consciousness of sin in our lives is a good thing. The question is what have we done about it? The Bible says :For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord. Rom 6:23 and John tells us that If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.1Jo 1:9. That doesn't mean thatwe are then perfectly free from sin, but it does mean that we can continue to go to Christ for cleansing from our remaining sin. Salvation is found in no other way, not through church attendance, prayer, reading the Bible, living a good life etc. Good and right as these things are, the Bible tells us

Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me. Joh 14:6

Neither is there salvation in any other: for there is none other name under heaven given among men, whereby we must be saved.Act 4:12

Then concerning your questions about TV and Games etc. The Bible says in John 17:11 and 16 that we are in the world but we are not of the world. TV and Games in themselves are not evil, it is what we choose to watch or play that can be evil. God has made us in such a way that we need leisure time, recreation etc. He has given us minds to think and learn, eyes to see and appreciate, etc. However we need to be careful how we spend our time, what we watch, what we spend time thinking about. We are not expected, and indeed it would be impossible, to spend every minute reading the Bible, praying etc. Certainly God calls individuals to particular work in His world, but for most of us we are commanded to live ordinary lives for Him, and to
Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in heaven. Mat 5:16

Remember, the chief purpose for which God placed us in this world is to "Glorify God and enjoy Him forever." I pray that God will enable you to experience that "abundant life" which only Jesus can give (John10:10).

Hope that is of some help.
Every blessing in Christ,
Brian.:wave:

Upvote 0

salida

Veteran
Jun 14, 2006
✟6,243.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Christian concept, Are you a good person? www.livingwaters.com/good/

Do you have the holy spirit? He will give you the power to live a christian life. Human effort alone can't do this. Pray and you will get it.

Take one day at a time and get some inspirational friends that love God by their actions. Read the bible and pray daily. Get involved in a serious church. Its a life long lifestyle and you will know God more and more. True faith is demonstrated by actions. Feel free to email me.

Also an other blogger had some great advice which is - starting tomorrow when you get out of bed, get yourself a pad and pen, and every time you sin, confess it to the Lord then write it down on the pad. Then after you have done this all day, the next day continue to write them down but this time, try not to do the same ones as you have written down on the pad, and become aware of them to the point, that you begin to resist doing them to the point that you over come the easiest of them first, then work on the harder ones as you get to them.This will work, if you are willing and have a strong desire to repent and cut down or even get rid of your sins that you do over and over willingly and knowingly every day.Just like someone who drinks to much, it is an everyday thing, but if they want to enough, they can stop drinking and many stop completely.So it can be done. I have seen it done.

Upvote 0

razeontherock

May 24, 2010
WI
✟35,597.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hi and welcome to CF gpsugy! Let me point out some key indicators that show you are in a much better "place" than many professing Christians:

I have been reading Scripture addressing how few little people will enter the narrow gate of heaven

I've searched in-depth to see what people that God hears prayers from, and I have found out that it is the humble people that have confessed and repented their sins. I

I have noticed the vast extent of the sins in my daily life.

I can't indulge myself in the evil things I have done daily while knowing that they are evil and "abominations" to the eyes of God.

Reading this, you seem to be in good company:

"He also told this parable to some who trusted in themselves that they were righteous, and treated others with contempt: Luk 18:10 Two men went up into the temple to pray, one a Pharisee and the other a tax collector. The Pharisee, standing by himself, prayed [fn] thus:'God, I thank you that I am not like other men, extortioners, unjust, adulterers, or even like this tax collector. I fast twice a week; I give tithes of all that I get.' But the tax collector, standing far off, would not even lift up his eyes to heaven, but beat his breast, saying, 'God, be merciful to me, a sinner!' I tell you, this man went down to his house justified, rather than the other. For everyone who exalts himself will be humbled, but the one who humbles himself will be exalted."

Now let me give you a quick summary of the whole Old testament, a 'key to the kingdom,' if you will:

God's people cry out in their trouble, He saves us, we're delivered, we prosper, we forget G-d, we cry out in our distress, He saves us ...

Rather like a pet hamster running on a wheel, is it not? Let's see G-d's perspective on this:

"To what then shall I compare the people of this generation, and what are they like? Luke 7:32 They are like children sitting in the marketplace and calling to one another, "'We played the flute for you, and you did not dance; we sang a dirge, and you did not weep.' For John the Baptist has come eating no bread and drinking no wine, and you say, 'He has a demon.' The Son of Man has come eating and drinking, and you say, 'Look at him! A glutton and a drunkard, a friend of tax collectors and sinners!' Yet wisdom is justified by all her children."

So you're starting to grow up, even while on a retreat. Isn't the Lord wonderful?! The humility you now have is your ROOT. Make sure it stays firmly connected to Him. He'll work out the details :bow:

Upvote 0

GaryP

Apr 28, 2009
✟8,966.00
Faith
Calvary Chapel
Marital Status
Private
First of all calm down, I noticed that you have why to many "I's" in your post.
You seem focused on yourself.
Instead, try focusing on the Act of Jesus ie being slain on the Cross. and the Act of
the Father in Heaven ie slaying His Son.
Let the Living Blood and Water come upon you. and just relax.
Jesus said it is Finished. So you are done, Turkey comes out of the oven.

Why fight it, just accept it. It is over. Jesus paid. You got to keep the change.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

oi_antz

Opposed to Untruth.
Apr 26, 2010
New Zealand
✟7,997.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Nothing in this world matters other than doing the will of God, am I right? That would mean that everything else is a waste of God's time given to His people, and therefore, must be a sin! Now I look at my lifestyle back at home - how I waste days in entertainment, work, school, etc - when I should be using ALL of that time to do the will of God!
I don't support this idea, though it is a fine line to tread, I think you may be entertaining ideas from the enemy. We are told the enemy is the accuser and Jesus sets us free. It is by grace we are saved, and not by works. I think that nullifies any attempts you might make to become more worthy of grace by works. If your POV were to be interpreted literally then no Christian could go to work and we probably would not have had the industrial revolution which has given us all the mod cons and toys we have today. I think God is watching with fascination as we go throughout the day just being human and living as we do. Once you've accepted He is holy and have cut loose the sins that is between you and Him, you'll find His judgement is very liberal and there's not a lot we can reasonably do wrong to fall back into sin once we are saved.

I've heard of someone trying to clean up his life to be more like the "perfect Christian" he thought God wanted, but he continued to feel separated from God. My experience has shown that when we feel distanced from God there is usually some sin in the way which we continue to choose instead of God, so just take baby steps and back up everything you do with scripture. What I mean is don't assume that blobbing to TV each day is a sin unless you have received that message from the Bible. It is important for us to always refer back to God's word rather than to believe some wild idea that might come to mind. Our minds can run all over the place and come up with all sorts of reasons why we are not worthy of Jesus' redemption, whereas the Bible will always tell us why we have been saved and what we ought do now that we know it.

So yeah, put more emphasis on getting to know God, less on trying to conform with some "Christian image" you might have, since you have given your life to God, He will change you as needed as long as you are willing to change, but make sure your actions are backed by scripture otherwise you could be listening to the enemy and confusing it for an angel of light.

Also, your prayers cannot be hijacked, if you are praying to Jesus then your prayers will always be heard.

Upvote 0

SharonL

Senior Veteran
Oct 15, 2005
Texas
Visit site
✟23,316.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Apsugy - Life with Jesus is not the picture you have painted - you may be listening to much to much legalism in the churches.

Our walk with God should be just that - our walk - not sitting every second we have reading the Bible and going over our sins.

Man makes our walk so hard - Jesus makes it so easy - just take this picture with you always - put your hand in the hand of Jesus and let the Holy Spirit guide you-
If you have repented and ask Jesus into your heart - you are saved and God hears your prayers just as much as anyone else - He is not a respector of persons.

The Bible tells us that Jesus is our Friend - now is this the way you act with a friend? When a person is your friend, you talk to him, walk with him, counsel with him, etc - Jesus is the same way - enjoy your walk with Jesus - talk to Him, sing with Him, walk with Him, ask Him what He wants you to do - the Holy Spirit will guide you by making you feel that you should do certain things - just listen for that still small voice which is just a leading.

Relax and enjoy Jesus. 5 minutes reading the Bible and really loving God means more than spending hour after hour reading and just reading. Readying a prayer and praying are two separate things - Jesus just wants to know what is on your heart - not what the man made rules in church says you have to do.

You will drive yourself crazy trying to be sinless all the time when you don't even know you are sinning. Don't put so much emphasis on sin, and more emphasis on just walking with Jesus and enjoying your life knowing you are a child of God - you are a child of God - no one has to speak to Him for you - HE HEARS EVERY THOUGHT YOU HAVE AND HE IS ONLY A HEARTBEAT AWAY. You are fine, just relax and let Jesus love you and you love Him back in return.

Upvote 0

gpsugy

Aug 2, 2010
✟15,118.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Thank you, everyone, for reading this thread and taking the time speak to me. I am truly grateful to God for His people helping me so thoroughly and quickly. I am sure that each any every Truth that was spoken in this thread has been taken into my heart, and will be used daily with the help of the Holy Spirit. I am truly blessed.

To GaryP: thank you for the reminder that I should always be focused on God. One of the many major problems that I have is self-centeredness. Thank you for reminding me that I cannot possibly change alone by mere will-power, but that I must put all my faith on God. I seriously hope that God will help me change this terrible characteristic in my life.

Reading your replies, I have noticed the general belief that "recreation is not wrong." I am sorry if I am being picky about such a matter, but recreation was a huge part of my daily life, and so, I need to understand the idea completely with whatever evil it comes with. Does the Bible really say that recreation is fine? Saved n kept, you said that "we are commanded to live ordinary lives for Him," but what is an ordinary life? I still feel that recreation is a selfish activity (however clean it may be) that God expects us to replace wholly with Scripture reading or other actions for His will. I know that recreation (like watching TV) is obviously a sin when it gets in the way of worshiping God as an idol, but doesn't the fact that someone is watching it instead of doing something actually glorifying to God make it an idol already? Is any recreation/rest really permitted by God?

To oi antz: thank you for reminding me of the importance of using Scripture to support my actions. I have been fooled again (along with many countless other times) by the evil one into following what I thought was right rather than what was actually right - from the Bible.

I think I understand the verse that by grace we are saved, not by faith - that there is nothing we can do to save ourselves and make ourselves better or worse than we truly are. I know that, (even though my emphasis on a life driven to be Holy and sinless may cause you to think otherwise) but I think that if you are saved, God would change your life to become changed into just that - a life with significantly much less sin.

But I was reminded again (by SharonL) that God wants us to walk with him. To walk with him. To me, that is such a wonderful idea. It is almost too wonderful that such a life would be "too good to be true." For pretty much all of my life, I have been living carefree, taking advantage of a merciful and completely forgiving God. These past few days, however, I have better understood God as a just God that absolutely cannot stand evil. To me, the Christian life had become much, much more difficult than I had first believed (this was when I imagined a life with only reading Scripture and doing the will of God every second I was awake). I have become so humbled these past days, but in doing so, I have forgotten his love. Is it really possible for me to enjoy such a wonderful thing as "walking with God?" I am... afraid of taking advantage of God all over again. I am afraid... that if I believe in such a thing, I will be converted into living a happy-go-free life similar to the one I had lived before. It would feel wrong for me to live "happily." I know that sounds absurd, but I really do feel something like that. Is it alright for us to enjoy life like that?

Thank you all again for your time. May God speak through His people, and truly be glorified through it. Thank you, Lord.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

razeontherock

May 24, 2010
WI
✟35,597.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Psa 16:11 "Thou wilt shew me the path of life: in thy presence [is] fulness of joy; at thy right hand [there are] pleasures for evermore."

I would suggest Heaven is the place for glorification, and earth is the place for humility. This places us in a conflict which you are gaining clarity of, and we need armor. Some exquisite detail is gone into in a thread I started in the sub-forum Deeper Fellowship, entitled Our Breastplate of Righteousness. You may actually be ready for that, as this is the same subject ...

Upvote 0

love_123

Jesus is Lord
May 18, 2010
✟15,267.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Thank you, everyone, for reading this thread and taking the time speak to me. I am truly grateful to God for His people helping me so thoroughly and quickly. I am sure that each any every Truth that was spoken in this thread has been taken into my heart, and will be used daily with the help of the Holy Spirit. I am truly blessed.

To GaryP: thank you for the reminder that I should always be focused on God. One of the many major problems that I have is self-centeredness. Thank you for reminding me that I cannot possibly change alone by mere will-power, but that I must put all my faith on God. I seriously hope that God will help me change this terrible characteristic in my life.

Reading your replies, I have noticed the general belief that "recreation is not wrong." I am sorry if I am being picky about such a matter, but recreation was a huge part of my daily life, and so, I need to understand the idea completely with whatever evil it comes with. Does the Bible really say that recreation is fine? Saved n kept, you said that "we are commanded to live ordinary lives for Him," but what is an ordinary life? I still feel that recreation is a selfish activity (however clean it may be) that God expects us to replace wholly with Scripture reading or other actions for His will. I know that recreation (like watching TV) is obviously a sin when it gets in the way of worshiping God as an idol, but doesn't the fact that someone is watching it instead of doing something actually glorifying to God make it an idol already? Is any recreation/rest really permitted by God?

To oi antz: thank you for reminding me of the importance of using Scripture to support my actions. I have been fooled again (along with many countless other times) by the evil one into following what I thought was right rather than what was actually right - from the Bible.

I think I understand the verse that by grace we are saved, not by faith - that there is nothing we can do to save ourselves and make ourselves better or worse than we truly are. I know that, (even though my emphasis on a life driven to be Holy and sinless may cause you to think otherwise) but I think that if you are saved, God would change your life to become changed into just that - a life with significantly much less sin.

But I was reminded again (by SharonL) that God wants us to walk with him. To walk with him. To me, that is such a wonderful idea. It is almost too wonderful that such a life would be "too good to be true." For pretty much all of my life, I have been living carefree, taking advantage of a merciful and completely forgiving God. These past few days, however, I have better understood God as a just God that absolutely cannot stand evil. To me, the Christian life had become much, much more difficult than I had first believed (this was when I imagined a life with only reading Scripture and doing the will of God every second I was awake). I have become so humbled these past days, but in doing so, I have forgotten his love. Is it really possible for me to enjoy such a wonderful thing as "walking with God?" I am... afraid of taking advantage of God all over again. I am afraid... that if I believe in such a thing, I will be converted into living a happy-go-free life similar to the one I had lived before. It would feel wrong for me to live "happily." I know that sounds absurd, but I really do feel something like that. Is it alright for us to enjoy life like that?

Thank you all again for your time. May God speak through His people, and truly be glorified through it. Thank you, Lord.

You are deceived believing that no recreation is allowed for God. Recreation is not all against God. But there are. Recreation, I learned at an US church, is a very important aspect of Christian life. We are advised not to not over study the Word every day because it may make you feel tired of it, rather we should read a bit of it and little by little absorb it. The most important about what recreation to do is to seek the guidance of the Holy Spirit. After I believe in Jesus, I got tired of pop music, a thing I was very obssessed with in my daily life, but I only enjoy gospel music now or Christian music. And movies, I used to enjoy watching worldly, unGodly movies, but God changed that too, to put it in the way a church friend called is 'God draws me to Him'.

There are leisure TV to watch, those that are not obscene but fun and relaxing and inspiring. I didn't like to watch or listen to the news before, but now I really love it. It's part of my leisure life. Leisure doesn't necessarily mean obscene relaxation. To me, it's away from exaustive study and work, or just away from urban drives and just rest in peace and joy alone; sometimes it's just some time spent alone with my dog, or in nature. And through these activities, I don't see why they are sin, because they are not contrary to God as long as I do it when the Holy Spirit doesn't put me at unease. The Holy Spirit leads you to wisely spend your life to live an abundant life resting in God's grace, always.

I guess God is trying to pull you away from ungodly activities or habits or hobbies, and the devil is deceiving you as you live in the soul not the Spirit most of the time. To turn away from sinful activities, not all recreation, but those things that are against God's nature, you must first know more of God.

And don't be too hard on yourself. As you say gain step by step, you will surrender more and more of yourself to Him as you grow your learning about Him.

The moment you give yourself to him completely, you enter the path of victory. Although you can't do it immediately, but God knows that and He helps you to grow and He forgives you if you confess. Lead your life as the Holy Spirit lead you. Pray about everything and seek guidance.

There is a difference between spirit being saved and soul being saved. The former is those that didn't live out the victory of Christ, but won't die go to hell, and after 1000 years locked out of heaven, you end up the same with the later. These people didn't follow God's will but are still saved spiritually. The later is that after your life in the world you enter the kingdom of heaven. To be saved you don't need to sacrifice anything, but to live in heaven to live out Christ victory, we must make sacrifices. Be content about everything He gives, and if you don't want to take the former destinition 'Seek, and you will receive'.

From your post, I believe you are spiritually saved already.

Thank you Father so much for everything. Please guide our brother in your victorious plan and cleanse him from all unrighteousness. May the Lord give him peace and security. May the Holy Spirit teach him the truth of God, walk in the Lord's way, and live out the life of Christ. May through him you bring yourself glory! In Jesus's name I pray, Amen.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Saved_n_kept

Pilgrim and Stranger
Aug 1, 2010
Tarbert, Argyll.
Visit site
✟17,152.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
Does the Bible really say that recreation is fine? Saved n kept, you said that "we are commanded to live ordinary lives for Him," but what is an ordinary life? I still feel that recreation is a selfish activity (however clean it may be) that God expects us to replace wholly with Scripture reading or other actions for His will. I know that recreation (like watching TV) is obviously a sin when it gets in the way of worshiping God as an idol, but doesn't the fact that someone is watching it instead of doing something actually glorifying to God make it an idol already? Is any recreation/rest really permitted by God?

God has given us a human body which He expects us to take care of.

What? know ye not that your body is the temple of the Holy Ghost which is in you, which ye have of God, and ye are not your own?
For ye are bought with a price: therefore glorify God in your body, and in your spirit, which are God's. 1Co 6:19-20

He has designed that body with needs, which He expects us to supply. For example, food, exercise, sleep etc. One of those needs is recreation, or if you like re - creation, where we take a break from the work which God has called us to do and relax and enjoy the good things that He has provided. That does not mean that you leave God behind. Remember what Paul says:

Whether therefore ye eat, or drink, or whatsoever ye do, do all to the glory of God. 1Co 10:31

Perhaps you could choose an activity where you can join with other people who do not know Christ, and have an opportunity to live Christ before them. Perhaps watch something on TV which will be a help or encouragement to you as you live your daily life. Perhaps you could get out into the "great outdoors" and just drink in the beauty of His world for
The heavens declare the glory of God; and the firmament sheweth his handywork. Psa 19:1

Upvote 0

gpsugy

Aug 2, 2010
✟15,118.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Thank you all for your prayers and concerns.

After hearing God patiently and thoroughly speak through all of your replies, I feel much more humbled and at peace by the Lord. I started this thread in absolute fear, confusion, and devastation, saying that I was "stuck." Although I don't yet feel that I have completely given myself up to the Lord, I am sure that I will arrive to that point eventually with the guidance of His Spirit. I have a lot to change about myself - so much that I give up at times - but I will take it slow, trusting in Him and His genuine love for me as best as I can.

Thank you for all of your God-given advice, encouragement, and prayers. I will certainly re-read the posts that you have written in this thread for the rest of my life. They have been very meaningful to me in a revolutionary moment in my walk with God. It feels a bit awkward for me to say this, considering I am only in an immature stage of my walk with God, but may God bless you all. Thank you, and I hope that God will again speak to me through you whenever I have questions or doubts during my journey with Him, as I am absolutely sure there will be many. Here I go - I think I'm ready to try and do this alone with God. :thumbsup:

Upvote 0

SharonL

Senior Veteran
Oct 15, 2005
Texas
Visit site
✟23,316.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Take a look at what the Bible says about joy and happiness in the Lord.

Happiness and joy​
True happiness is a gift from God.
Ecclesiastes 2:26a
Romans 14:17
Romans 15:13
Galatians 5:22
True happiness comes from living close to the Lord and His Word.
Psalm 16:11
Psalm 119:111
Psalm 119:162
Jeremiah 15:16a
John 15:11
True happiness is the fruit of obedience to the Lord.
Psalm 128:1-2
John 13:17
Happiness and joy are manifestations of our faith and trust in the Lord.
Psalm 5:11
Proverbs 16:20b
1 Peter 1:8
Happiness and joy come from being more concerned about others than ourselves.
John 3:29
Philippians 2:2
1 Thessalonians 2:19-20
Joy comes when we consider and thank God for our blessings.
Psalm 100:1-2,4
Isaiah 51:3b
Jeremiah 33:11
The Lord wants us to be joyful and positive at all times.
Deuteronomy 12:18b
Philippians 4:4
With Jesus, even times of difficulty and suffering can't take away our joy.
2 Corinthians 7:4b
2 Corinthians 12:9-10
1 Peter 3:14a
1 Peter 4:12-13,16

Upvote 0

Saved_n_kept

Pilgrim and Stranger
Aug 1, 2010
Tarbert, Argyll.
Visit site
✟17,152.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
Here I go - I think I'm ready to try and do this alone with God. :thumbsup:

God bless you Brother, and may you grow in grace and in a knowledge of the truth.
Never forget Phi 4:13 I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me.

But grow in grace, and in the knowledge of our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ. To him be glory both now and for ever. Amen.2Pe 3:18

Please let us know how things go.:wave:

Upvote 0

DoctorJosh

Jun 7, 2010
United States of America
✟564.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
To be a Christian is a choice, but if you are feeling guilty that is because you are becoming more aware of what is right and wrong and you do have a desire to do right for God. It takes the "willing" in us to change for the better and knowing our sins may be hurting others. A simple lie that seems like such a small sin can make a persons life miserable.

Say for instance you lied to a friend, they eventually find out and they lose trust in you. Your word is no longer any good to them. A lie to a relative is just the same, if they find out you are then not trusted. So sin makes you life more miserable than you think, even gambling people think is fun, it is just being unwise and soon if they get addicted they lose everything just to think they can win more, but keep losing.

Sin in lust is a problem as well, soon the person is looking for more mates and even cheats on another, they will have a nightmare when everyone finds out or the fact is they may get a disease from their sinful desires of lust with other people, then they are really in trouble. Why God put forth the laws is for mankind to live better and healthier lives and to live to be old while finding joy all the way throughout their lives.

Stealing is also what God warns us about. The reason is, if you steal from your neighbor they will lose trust in you. If you steal from others you will face just only a nightmare. (Police, court, jail, fines, people shun you, etc.) So God gives you guidelines to make your life easier, but why people want complicated hard lives in sin is hard to understand at times when life can be so easy.

Drugs (even getting drunk) are also doing harm to the body, it causes the person to sin more and steal, cheat, lust, and hurt people more. That is why God states many times that if something makes you sin, avoid it.

Whatever your sins are that you are doing daily, remember those sins are only hurting others and yourself. There are many who struggle with sinful desires, but that choice is theirs if they act upon them. Not only do they find after time the damage it causes, but then they want to change and now its habit and it is harder to get away from the habit until they actually get so tired of it that they do something about it and change their life. On top of all that, they have to work to earn peoples trust again, some even have to move to another area because of the damage they have caused and some end up in jail before they see the nightmare they have caused and want to change their lives.

Looking throughout the entire Bible you can see every story of any kind of nightmare people caused themselves by sinning, but those who did their best to avoid sin and do what was right for God found an easy life. The teaching tool that can help us learn from others mistakes is showing there is an easy life and there is a hard life, that choice is up to you.

As for your Faith, everyone's Prayers are heard and Jesus will help anyone who has done the worst sins if they come to Him. Anyone who tells you different is misguiding people and telling them lies. God Forgives Everyone who asks for Forgiveness. Never give up because someone said your prayers are not heard, for your Prayers are always heard and Jesus wants you and every single person to come to Him. The chains of sin will keep some from going to Jesus because of their guilt, but the chains of guilt are easily broken the minute you start to Pray and pour out your sins to Jesus and say you are sorry. Ask for Wisdom and Guidance from Jesus in Prayer and He will help you with those to make your life better and find ways to beat the sin and give you happiness.

The farmer cannot expect anything to grow if he does not get up from his sleep and start to plow the fields and start to plant the seeds.
If we sit and do nothing, nothing will happen to change our lives. We must act upon the change and do something about it. You will find more joy in doing what is right than what you are finding in doing wrong.

People sometimes want the life on the edge kind of adrenaline rush and I tell them, go into a Muslim area and start to Read the New Testament out loud and you will have an adrenaline rush. You can get just as much excitement being a Christian as a sinner does and all the while doing good things. Some say I want to travel South America or Europe and see it all, but I am broke and having too much fun sinning and wasting money. I can tell them if they went on a missionary trip of their own, just buy the plane ticket and just go stay at Churches in every area they go or with other Christians missionaries they would see it all and have a great time while teaching the word as they go.

A Christians life is far from boring. Christians who do something with their lives are seeing more than any other millionaire would, they are finding more happiness than any movie star would, they are finding True Love along the way that fills their life that no meat market (bar) will ever provide them with. And people think Christians are boring without sin. If they only knew or saw a fraction of what some Christians have done to make an adventure out of teaching the word for God they would be jealous to say the least.

A while ago I met a couple with their kids who sold everything and just packed the van and drove across America to teach the Word of God. They saw every cool place,met awesome people, and did so many things that only a few could only dream of doing. They saw every State in the lower 48 and even Alaska. All they owned was their van and the things in it. When they had finished their journey, they found a place to settle down in and rented an apartment with what money they had left over and what an experience for that entire family to have seen so much and taught the word everywhere they went. What a True Christian Adventure. A person could do this to see all of Europe, South America, or any other place they always wanted to go and all the while teach the Word of God as they go and what an experience it is. I Traveled all over Alaska and teaching the Word of God for several years, that was an experience I will never forget and I had a complete BLAST doing it. Your sins are nothing fun compared to doing something for Jesus and living a dream life you can find complete joy in.

The choice is yours. God Forgives everyone who comes to Him and God will give you an adventure of a lifetime filled with joy.
God Bless.

Upvote 0