I'm struggling with my Christian faith

Rob_macneal

May 20, 2015
✟12,041.00
Faith
Christian
I have never seen this country more divided.
A house divided cannot stand. JESUS said that.
so we gonna fall people, we took GOD out of everything and we will pay a deep price.
I agree wholeheartedly!!!! I think we are approaching the last days rather quickly. I think trump is a step in that direction. Keep praying!! God bless!!

Upvote 0

lsume

Supporter
Mar 14, 2017
Florida
✟417,518.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
My mother told me, - I'm paraphrasing here - that we should despise (she doesn't like the word hate) all democrats in the world. My father told me, that it shouldn't matter whether someone's a republican or democrat as long as they do the right thing. Who am I supposed to believe?
I suggest that you pray about it and read God's Word. Your dad's suggestion seems reasonable. To group people by their political views sounds wrong to me somehow. However, I do believe that all true Christians are very conservative about all issues that violate God's Word. God's law's are higher than man's laws. Believing and practicing the aforementioned statement is hard to do sometimes but it is the way. For example, do you believe that our God and Heavenly Father is for the 55 million babies plus that have been aborted in America alone. Of course Our God is against this abominable practice. Making a stand for what is right is often not popular. Christians are a peculiar people. Thank God! Hang in there please.

Upvote 0

A_Thinker

Supporter
Apr 23, 2004
Midwest
✟931,284.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
My mother told me, - I'm paraphrasing here - that we should despise (she doesn't like the word hate) all democrats in the world. My father told me, that it shouldn't matter whether someone's a republican or democrat as long as they do the right thing. Who am I supposed to believe?

Politics is all about managing THIS WORLD, which Christ said is NOT HIS KINGDOM ("My kingdom is not of this world.").

Christ also said that we are to "Love our neighbors as we love ourselves." This is the second GREAT COMMANDMENT, ... upon which, along with "Love the Lord with all of your heart, mind, soul, and strength", ... all other commandments are based.

Christ also said that we are to "Love your enemies" and to "Despise them not".

Upvote 0

Jorge

Mar 29, 2005
Florida
✟774.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Quite obviously your dad is correct. DEM or REP or Catholic or Baptist or ... whatever ... are mere labels that men have invented and assigned to themselves. None of that really matters. The only thing that matters is how the life of a person aligns/conforms to what God asks of us. That and only that is what we should focus on.

Upvote 0

GirdYourLoins

Nov 27, 2016
Brighton, UK
✟122,682.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I see people in 2 categories. Those that have found Jesus and those that need to find Jesus.

It makes life easier.

To build on that you then need to understand that although Christians vary greatly in beliefs it is even harder for those that dont know Him. They are trying to find their way in the dark and come up with all sort of things to try to fill the gap that only Jesus can fill in their lives. For some its accepting everyone for who they are (without the understanding of sin) although bizarrely this does not extend to the most vulnerable, unborn babies who are seen as not being people and can be murdered on a whim.

Are these people just lost people stumbling around in the dark trying to do good in their lives without God? Or is it more sinister? I think the majority of people come in the first lot and some into the second. At the end of the day I see them all as people needing Jesus.

Upvote 0

Dr Bruce Atkinson

Supporter
Supporter
Feb 19, 2013
Atlanta, GA
✟65,538.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

Bottom line answer:
Study the controversial issues for yourself in some depth. Put time into checking out what both sides say. Don't trust any one 'authority.' Be a seeker and listen to many points of view. You will ultimately have to make up your own mind regarding both religion and politics. It may take years. Then commit yourself, vote the best of your judgment at the time, and trust God.

• Agree
Reactions: mkgal1
Upvote 0

Heaven's Child

Sep 15, 2016
california
✟18,139.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Curious, why would that make a16 yr old struggle with the Christian faith?
The 16 year old is struggling because he/she is trying to do the right thing. He/she is trying to obey his/her parents while the Holy Spirit within is conflicting with the thought of despising someone. There is always a struggle where there is a conflict but once he/she learns the truth of God's word and obey it, he/she will be delivered (made free) of that conflict.

Upvote 0

D2wing

Feb 12, 2013
✟15,892.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
We are to love our democrat friends. Politics is a dangerous ground for Christians. Our hope is not in politics but in Jesus Christ. It also depends on your world view. Neither party is strongly Christian. Both have overstepped the Constitution and contributed to too much government power.The issues about the Republicans is that some democrats feel that they are for the rich and neglect the poor. This is debatable since the very rich support the democrats and most leaders are very rich or got rich in politics. Many evangelical especially Christians are strongly against the democratic party for several reasons. They are on the wrong side of many moral issues such as sexual issues, abortion and more. But the main thing is they are working to fulfill the rise of antichrist through supporting a one world government and submitting to the power and influence of Soros and others like international bankers.. This is fairly obvious to those who read the Bible and compare various Prophesies. Space doesn't allow a full examination of these issues. I was an officer in the Democratic party but it became clear many years ago that they would eventually be at war with Christianity. Many Christians still support the Democratic party based on perceived support for the poor and tolerance. Be advised. Regardless of what happens in politics, evil will rise, antichrist will appear. We should rejoice when persecution arises and the world moves to world government because this means Jesus is coming. The U.S. is the hope for freedom of people the world over. Antichrist is working against the laws of the U.S. and independence. As a Patriot I object, yet the Christian view of love your neighbor and acceptance of fulfillment of the Bible should take precedence. It is tempting to feel negative to those that are on the "wrong side" whatever you think that is but is something we must overcome. So in short your mom's position is understandable but your father is right. These are not easy questions and difficult temptations. Many see it as supporting the freedom and the Constitution and the flag against those that are against the U.S. Others feel that progressivism promotes peace and help for all and nationalism is bad and the U.S. must fall. The Bible says that a great many will fall to deception. Many will be killed for faith in Jesus. It is not going to be pretty. But it will be worth it.

Upvote 0

Saint JOHN

May 5, 2017
Adelaide
✟20,848.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Believe God; dont get involved in world politics .. God will allow ,bring about what needs to happen !
his word declares many prophesies etc..his word will come to pass regardless of what is said or done by men...
as for your faith..Jude 1:20 But ye, beloved, building up yourselves on your most holy faith, praying in the Holy Ghost,

thats praying in the Spirit (speaking in tongues)1Co 14:14 For if I pray in an unknown tongue, my spirit prayeth, but my understanding is unfruitful...etc

Upvote 0

Heaven's Child

Sep 15, 2016
california
✟18,139.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
The Bible should always be your ultimate authority. It should take preeminence over what anyone thinks, including mom and dad. Never should we despise anyone. As for dealing with social issues, Let's take a look at a few scriptures.

Romans 3:29
Is God the God of Jews only? Is He not the God of Gentiles too? Yes, of Gentiles too,
(Is he the God of Republicans only or democrats only?)

Galatians 3:28
There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither bond nor free, there is neither male nor female: for you are all one in Christ Jesus.

Yes the above is talking about those in Christ; but, if we look deeper into this scripture, we would see that God is no respecter of persons. Your social status means nothing to Him. He looks at the heart and even if you heart isn't right, he yet remains a merciful God.

1 John 3:15
Everyone who hates his brother is a murderer, and you know that eternal life does not reside in a murderer.

1 John 4:20
If anyone says, "I love God," but hates his brother, he is a liar. For anyone who does not love his brother, whom he has seen, cannot love God, whom he has not seen.

Deuteronomy 15:11 (also see Matthew 14:7)
"For the poor will never cease to be in the land; therefore I command you, saying, 'You shall freely open your hand to your brother, to your needy and poor in your land.'

And as for those who abort babies, are homosexuals, believe in the use of marijuana or what have you. Remember the scriptures says:

"Behold, the LORD'S hand is not shortened, that it cannot save; neither his ear heavy, that it cannot hear: (Isiah 59:1). It also says that WHOSOEVER SHALL CALL UPON THE NAME OF THE LORD, SHALL BE SAVED.

Mercy and grace are extended to anyone who repents. We did and they can too! Therefore, look down on no one. If your mom is a professing Christian, you are not too young nor will you be out of place to correct her. Let her know i a respectful way that you are choosing God's way!

Reactions: D2wing
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Traveling teacher

May 2, 2017
Belton
✟31,844.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
God said He appoints governors and throws down governors......

In Romans it says to pray for and respect your leaders.......
Many if not most politicians are not strong christians...they need a lot of prayer

Jesus said my Kingdom is not of this world.....
Look at china...comunist.....underground church is thriving....we must do the same......

Upvote 0

dqhall

Supporter
Jul 21, 2015
Florida
Visit site
✟766,603.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
President Lincoln was a Republican. He freed the slaves. President Johnson was a Democrat. He ended segregation. Both Republican President Reagan and Democratic President Obama rapidly increased the Federal debt. President Clinton was the only president in my lifetime to balance a federal budget. He also balanced a state budget.

President Obama was not critical of Islam. He publicly stated Islam is a good religion. He looked the other way as Muslims oppressed Christians. In Jakarta, Indonesia a governor of their land was arrested for blasphemy against Islam and is jail because he was critical of the Koran. Indonesia is a democracy, but they do not have enough civil rights. There is danger in putting too much precedence in political parties over the personalities and records of the candidates. President Trump is not making national speeches to tell us how good Islam is.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Mary7

Supporter
Oct 26, 2015
Mississippi
✟75,750.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I have never seen this country more divided.
A house divided cannot stand. JESUS said that.
so we gonna fall people, we took GOD out of everything and we will pay a deep price.
Jesus is not American. Whether this country stands or falls depends on the Lord. We are citizens of heaven.
As for the poster. I was Republican all my life and now I voted democrat. I am also a born again believer.
I am against abortion. I am also against not feeding the poor, caring for the needy etc upon which there are 3 thousand verses exhorting us to do so. Just bringing this up to say a Christian can vote either side.. but our focus is not to be on politics. Never judge someone by their political party. That is absurd.

Upvote 0

mkgal1

His perfect way sets me free. 2 Samuel 22:33
Supporter
Jun 22, 2007
California
✟551,233.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics is all about managing THIS WORLD, which Christ said is NOT HIS KINGDOM ("My kingdom is not of this world.").
I disagree. Politics (in free countries) is about managing PEOPLE--God's creation. Didn't God give instruction (recorded in the Bible) to the Israelites as to what their "politics" should look like?

This article describes well (IMO) how there's no such thing as an apolitical Christian faith if we're "listening" to Jesus;

[...]
Embedded in this reprimand is the myth that there is somehow a way of being spiritual without also being political; some sharp, easily identifiable, universally accepted line delineating the sacred from the secular, the supernatural from the practical, religious matters from civil ones—and that Church People can and should learn to “stay in their lane”.

Here’s the only problem with such suggestions: If you are a committed person of any faith, life is the lane. It’s all spiritual.

I am a follower of Jesus and a pastor, and for me this means that my Christian faith isn’t an isolated activity that I engage in between many other non-religious activities.My faith is the very lens through which I view everything and it likewise informs every facet of my life: the work I do, the words I write, the causes I support, how I spend my money, how I experience community, the way I vote, how I see and discuss the world. To suggest I separate my faith from any area of my life is like asking ask my brain to function independently from my circulatory system.The two are ultimately the same thing. Their existence is one of interdependence.--http://johnpavlovitz.com/2016/03/14/why-an-apolitical-christian-faith-doesnt-exist-if-you-listen-to-jesus/

Last edited:
Upvote 0

wilts43

May 22, 2011
✟21,547.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
In Relationship

Now, although you say, "all democrats in the world" I'm going to go right out there and guess you are American? Yeah?
I'm also going to also guess you are Protestant, and you will get a fair share of "disembodied" (anti-incarnational) comments like "Politics & religion have nothing to do with each other"......(It's just "me & Jesus")

But, if you know much about Salvation History in the OT/NT you will know God always saves "a people" & Christ established a Kingdom (His Holy Church). As soon as you say "a people" reason tell you I'm sure that everything is political, or has political dimensions.
We are called to incarnate a real, physical Kingdom of God, to manifest now what is to come.
The trouble is your electoral system (like ours in UK) is designed to manufacture governing majorities out of minority loyalties. So you are left with a "Tweedledum/Tweedledee" choice....with all that implies). There is a lot of unprincipled sound-bite-marketing to swing-voters......simply to gain power.
Rendering to Caesar is more complicated in a "democracy" where (at least in theory) we are responsible for which "Caesar" we have.

Out of your two parents your father is the wiser. To demonise one of two Parties that usually have very little between them (& a great deal of overlap) is to buy into naive marketing myths that want your loyalty....instead of your being loyal to the Gospel.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

jamespyles

Jun 30, 2011
Boise, ID
Visit site
✟17,448.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Jesus said to love your neighbor as yourself, citing the rather uncomfortable relationship between the Israelites and the Samaritans in the first century.

A Jewish value in modern times is to judge others on the side of good, so you try to look for the best qualities in everyone, even if they also have some pretty negative qualities.

Christianity has been made a political pawn of the conservatives, but Jesus wasn't political. Neither was the Apostle Paul. Paul didn't try to overthrow the Roman empire or even criticize it. He only held accountable to the Bible other believers. Try to do the same.

Upvote 0

ByTheSpirit

Come Lord Jesus
May 17, 2011
Manhattan, KS
✟186,612.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Being apolitical is probably the most scriptural thing a true Christian can do...

On that note, it doesn't mean we need to turn a blind eye to political issues that very much affect the Kingdom of God.

We can still advocate for such things and be void of political affiliation.

Upvote 0

A_Thinker

Supporter
Apr 23, 2004
Midwest
✟931,284.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
A_Thinker said:

mkgal1 said: I disagree. Politics (in free countries) is about managing PEOPLE--God's creation. Didn't God give instruction (recorded in the Bible) to the Israelites as to what their "politics" should look like?

This article describes well (IMO) how there's no such thing as an apolitical Christian faith if we're "listening" to Jesus;

[...]

Embedded in this reprimand is the myth that there is somehow a way of being spiritual without also being political; some sharp, easily identifiable, universally accepted line delineating the sacred from the secular, the supernatural from the practical, religious matters from civil ones—and that Church People can and should learn to “stay in their lane”.

Here’s the only problem with such suggestions: If you are a committed person of any faith, life is the lane. It’s all spiritual.

I am a follower of Jesus and a pastor, and for me this means that my Christian faith isn’t an isolated activity that I engage in between many other non-religious activities.My faith is the very lens through which I view everything and it likewise informs every facet of my life: the work I do, the words I write, the causes I support, how I spend my money, how I experience community, the way I vote, how I see and discuss the world. To suggest I separate my faith from any area of my life is like asking ask my brain to function independently from my circulatory system.The two are ultimately the same thing. Their existence is one of interdependence.--http://johnpavlovitz.com/2016/03/14/why-an-apolitical-christian-faith-doesnt-exist-if-you-listen-to-jesus/

I will accede to your refining of my definition of POLITICS ... as the MANAGEMENT of PEOPLE (as well as other things) in THIS WORLD.

And I only meant to bestow some PERSPECTIVE upon the dilemma faced by the OP, ... in that, when it comes to being POLITICAL (to the point of DESPISING those who disagree with you on certain issues), ... Jesus' call (to LOVE DESPITE differences) is the HIGHER CALL.

I didn't mean to imply (nor do I believe) that Christians should be apolitical. I believe that Christians should act within the political sphere ... as they are led by the Holy Spirit.

I was going to include in my comment Jesus' own actions within the politics of His day (i.e. paying His share of tax to the Roman government ... "Render unto Caesar ... ").

Also how He dealt with the various political religious factions of His day (most notably, the Pharisees and the Saducees). His tendency was to call all factions to account for their flaws, ... but, perhaps only as they impinged upon His own movement/ministry. and yet, He acceded to the historical authority of the Pharisees to lead the Jews/Israelites in matters of religion ("They sit in Moses' seat ... you should do as they say, ... but not as they do ... ").

I'm not sure how Jesus would function in today's American political scene. I suppose that He would certainly follow the law of the land ... by not leading His followers to favor a particular political candidate over another, ... but to, rather, base their political decisions upon the principles embodied in their Christian beliefs.

Upvote 0

mkgal1

His perfect way sets me free. 2 Samuel 22:33
Supporter
Jun 22, 2007
California
✟551,233.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Isaiah 10 says:

"1Woe to those who make unjust laws,

to those who issue oppressive decrees,

2to deprive the poor of their rights

and withhold justice from the oppressed of my people,

making widows their prey

and robbing the fatherless.

3What will you do on the day of reckoning,

when disaster comes from afar?

To whom will you run for help?

Where will you leave your riches?"

....and the way I see it is, those of us in representative governments are responsible for our laws (as we've been given a vote). In Jesus' day in the Roman empire that wasn't available.

Upvote 0

Heaven's Child

Sep 15, 2016
california
✟18,139.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
President Lincoln was a Republican. He freed the slaves. President Johnson was a Democrat. He ended segregation. Both Republican President Reagan and Democratic President Obama rapidly increased the Federal debt. President Clinton was the only president in my lifetime to balance a federal budget. He also balanced a state budget.

President Obama was not critical of Islam. He publicly stated Islam is a good religion. He looked the other way as Muslims oppressed Christians. In Jakarta, Indonesia the president of their land was arrested for blasphemy against Islam and is jail because he was critical of the Koran. Indonesia is a democracy, but they do not have enough civil rights. There is danger in putting too much precedence in political parties over the personalities and records of the candidates. President Trump is not making national speeches to tell us how good Islam is.

We really should be careful to practice what we preach. No! Trump isn't making speeches about how good Islam is, but he is making speeches praising Vladimir Putin (a known American enemy). The whole point of this is to teach this 16 year old how not to be bias and how to love despite our differences.

Upvote 0