May 3, 2015
✟9,735.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
I'm going to start playing poker for a living. I am tired of my body hurting and not making enough money to make my job worth it. I have made a significant amount of money in the last couple of years playing a few times a month. Enough to make a pretty good living if I'm playing a four days a week at my current roi (return on investment). I'm not entirely sure why I'm plsting this, but I'm getting close to the minimum bankroll where I feel comfortable making the move. Maybe I'm subconsciously looking to be talked out of it, maybe I'm looking for affirmation. All I know is this is the current plan. Pros? Cons? Anyone? Bueller?

FutureAndAHope

Just me
Supporter
Aug 30, 2008
Australia
Visit site
✟732,859.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hmmm ... I would not know what to say .... risky? I have only ever played poker for fun with friends.

pros:

You enjoy it, it is a desire of yours. You will get to meet a lot of interesting people.

cons

Gambling has negative conetations in many Christian communities, and might be seen by some as a sin. There is a risk factor that it might not be a good long term investment, and use of time.

Just my thoughts.

Upvote 0

Soyeong

Mar 10, 2015
Hudson
✟281,635.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
If you start playing poker professionally, then chances are you'll start running into more people doing the same, who might be more difficult to make money from than people who play casually. You also wouldn't be doing anything productive that contributed to society, at best you'd just be legally taking money from people who don't know better. There will also be the temptation to up the stakes, which could lead to serious losses.

Last edited:
Reactions: Songsmith
Upvote 0

Songsmith

May 3, 2015
✟9,735.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
If you start playing poker professionally, then chances are you'll start running into more people doing the same, who might be more difficult to make money from than people who play casually. You also wouldn't be doing anything productive that contributed to society, at best you'd just be legally taking money from people who don't know better.

Well, I'm not so sure about that. I don't contribute anything good right now...I work at a hog farm :)

As far as less money, I'm planning on about a third less big blinds per hour than I make right now on average. Right now I'm averaging 12.2bb/hr over the last two years. At 8bb/hr at 40 hrs a week I can provide everything that we need to live and have several thousand a year to save. The other thing that I might do instead of cash games, because I have thought about what you've said about people not knowing better, is play tournaments.

Everybody who buys into a tournament know what they are doing. I see tournaments as exactly the same as pool, tennis, golf or bowling tournaments. They are a test of skill that pits yours against the field's. I have searched my heart to see if I have a problem with Tiger Woods playing golf for a living, or more specifically, if God has a problem with that kind of thing. If that kind of tournament is acceptable, which I would venture to guess most Christians would agree with, I can't find a compelling reason that a poker tournament would be different. A little more swingy and not totally under your control, true, but still a skill game that rewards the best players over time. Besides, my roi on tournaments is just over 70%. The only difference there is I would be playing more of them. A lot more of them.

Thank you for your input. It will be taken into consideration for sure.

Upvote 0