Tucson
✟7,827.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Hello, this is ny first post and I joined this community just because I'm searching desperately for help.

I was raised Christian my whole life and up until a few months ago, I never thought God wasn't real. There were moments in my teenage years when I wouldnt say I was religious but rather than disbelief, it was more of a rebellion against good and righteousness. You could say I was being an angsty, edgy teen. But as I grew, I matured out of it and went into Christianity head on. It didn't last long when I was sitting in Church and I heard my pastor say "a man can go his whole life and never believe in God even though he thinks he's saved." This left me with questions and this is when I actually began to deliberate over the existence of God. For one, how can someone want salvation and not find it? Even if they don't believe, how can they not know they don't believe? How can God allow someone who wants the salvation he so graciously gifted mankind deny someone who is searching? I wondered if maybe that was me. What if I didn't believe and I decided I needed to evaluate my faith with reason and logic. When I did that, I didn't find what I was looking for. I set out to find out what was my natural inclination and it wasn't toward God.

I can say I don't understand why homosexuality is wrong. I just do not get it at all. The ONLY response I've gotten is because God said so. But for the entirety of the Bible, there is usually reason behind the morality. This one doesn't make sense to me. Especially because I am bisexual and I can tell you, Its never been my choice

I've prayed and begged God to open my heart to Jesus and to help me find my faith. I've prayed for signs and answers. I've prayed for understanding. I've prayed that he give me what ever it is that's going to make me believe but lately, it feels like I'm praying to nothing. I can't even bring myself to pray anymore because it's so disheartening.

I'm liberal minded and the way that I see Christian behave goes against what I believe is right. And I was raised around Christians and I don't connect with them on a political or moral level. I also see a lot of Christians as naive and out of touch. I love all of them but I it's difficult for me to feel validated in other christians when I perceive them this way.

Lastly, it all just seems less and less evident out in the world. Between science and society, I don't see how God is fitting in.

Want to know if I can just forget all of this and decide to believe even though that clearly goes against what my pastor said. I need to know what I can do to find my faith. I want to know someone can go their entire lives reading the word and practicing Christianity and have no eternal life to show for it. I've never felt more alone in this universe than I do now.

Please help me

derpytia

Compassion.
Site Supporter
Feb 22, 2016
United States
✟287,998.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
@Alien0 Hello there! Reading over your post you sound almost exactly like me a few years ago. I was raised Christian and ended up feeling exactly as you are right now, bisexuality and all.

It wasn't until a series of events broke me down and made me dependent upon God's mercy and grace that I learned to listen to God. I still struggle sometimes with accepting his sovereignty but I have to remind myself that I am absolutely nothing compared to God. I am nothing but a dust speck compared to Him. Who am I to question Him when it is by His will that I am alive?

But then I also wrestle with the idea that he loves me because the world's idea of love and God's true love are different things. But I think as time goes by and more things happen in my life, I get better and better at seeing God's love for me.

God is so big and so infinite that He goes beyond our total understanding and therein lies a whole other struggle. Yikes, huh?

I think that perhaps you should start of with reading the Bible (a study Bible would be great because it can explain things as you go along) and pursuing a real and personal relationship with God. He does love you and he wants that relationship with you, I guarantee it.

Also perhaps when dealing with fellow Christians, try to view them through Jesus' eyes. They are people just like you and me and regardless of their values or your values or anything at all, they are sinners just like you and me and everyone on this earth. And Jesus died for them just like He died for you and me. We're all humans on this earth after all.

Upvote 0

Alien0

Feb 26, 2018
Tucson
✟7,827.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
@Alien0 Hello there! Reading over your post you sound almost exactly like me a few years ago. I was raised Christian and ended up feeling exactly as you are right now, bisexuality and all.

It wasn't until a series of events broke me down and made me dependent upon God's mercy and grace that I learned to listen to God. I still struggle sometimes with accepting his sovereignty but I have to remind myself that I am absolutely nothing compared to God. I am nothing but a dust speck compared to Him. Who am I to question Him when it is by His will that I am alive?

But then I also wrestle with the idea that he loves me because the world's idea of love and God's true love are different things. But I think as time goes by and more things happen in my life, I get better and better at seeing God's love for me.

God is so big and so infinite that He goes beyond our total understanding and therein lies a whole other struggle. Yikes, huh?

I think that perhaps you should start of with reading the Bible (a study Bible would be great because it can explain things as you go along) and pursuing a real and personal relationship with God. He does love you and he wants that relationship with you, I guarantee it.

Also perhaps when dealing with fellow Christians, try to view them through Jesus' eyes. They are people just like you and me and regardless of their values or your values or anything at all, they are sinners just like you and me and everyone on this earth. And Jesus died for them just like He died for you and me. We're all humans on this earth after all.
I'm glad to hear someone else had the same struggles. If anything, it gives me hope that I can be saved too. I told my mother that I prayed God give me patience and deepen my faith,(before all my questioning) and she told me to to be careful what I pray for because God puts us through trials. In my struggles, I hope that this disconnection is all a test to strengthen my foundations. I'm afraid of what I might have to go through.

• Friendly
Reactions: derpytia
Upvote 0

Tom 1

Optimistic sceptic
Site Supporter
Nov 13, 2017
Tarnaveni
✟818,769.00
Country
Romania
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hello, this is ny first post and I joined this community just because I'm searching desperately for help.

I was raised Christian my whole life and up until a few months ago, I never thought God wasn't real. There were moments in my teenage years when I wouldnt say I was religious but rather than disbelief, it was more of a rebellion against good and righteousness. You could say I was being an angsty, edgy teen. But as I grew, I matured out of it and went into Christianity head on. It didn't last long when I was sitting in Church and I heard my pastor say "a man can go his whole life and never believe in God even though he thinks he's saved." This left me with questions and this is when I actually began to deliberate over the existence of God. For one, how can someone want salvation and not find it? Even if they don't believe, how can they not know they don't believe? How can God allow someone who wants the salvation he so graciously gifted mankind deny someone who is searching? I wondered if maybe that was me. What if I didn't believe and I decided I needed to evaluate my faith with reason and logic. When I did that, I didn't find what I was looking for. I set out to find out what was my natural inclination and it wasn't toward God.

I can say I don't understand why homosexuality is wrong. I just do not get it at all. The ONLY response I've gotten is because God said so. But for the entirety of the Bible, there is usually reason behind the morality. This one doesn't make sense to me. Especially because I am bisexual and I can tell you, Its never been my choice

I've prayed and begged God to open my heart to Jesus and to help me find my faith. I've prayed for signs and answers. I've prayed for understanding. I've prayed that he give me what ever it is that's going to make me believe but lately, it feels like I'm praying to nothing. I can't even bring myself to pray anymore because it's so disheartening.

I'm liberal minded and the way that I see Christian behave goes against what I believe is right. And I was raised around Christians and I don't connect with them on a political or moral level. I also see a lot of Christians as naive and out of touch. I love all of them but I it's difficult for me to feel validated in other christians when I perceive them this way.

Lastly, it all just seems less and less evident out in the world. Between science and society, I don't see how God is fitting in.

Want to know if I can just forget all of this and decide to believe even though that clearly goes against what my pastor said. I need to know what I can do to find my faith. I want to know someone can go their entire lives reading the word and practicing Christianity and have no eternal life to show for it. I've never felt more alone in this universe than I do now.

Please help me

I can relate to a lot of what you are saying, although I had different issues and questions. These aren’t the kind of things that can be answered overnight, when I had a crisis of faith nearly 20yrs ago it was just the start of a long process. Things I prayed about then - why this/why that etc etc - have only been answered over time and through different sets of circumstances, experiences, things I have read, talking to other people and so on. All I can say is, don’t let go of God. Trust him; he is good, although we can’t always see that or even understand what it means. Read broadly, get difference perspectives, pray about whatever you think and feel, live your life and be patient - don’t let anyone rush you, God will guide. Many times I’ve prayed about one thing or another, sometimes in anger and sometimes just in confusion, asking God to help me to understand something I just don’t get. He has always answered those prayers - when I was ready for the answers - sometimes months or years later.

• Friendly
Reactions: Alien0
Upvote 0

thesunisout

growing in grace
Site Supporter
Mar 24, 2011
He lifts me up
✟159,601.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I'm glad to hear someone else had the same struggles. If anything, it gives me hope that I can be saved too. I told my mother that I prayed God give me patience and deepen my faith,(before all my questioning) and she told me to to be careful what I pray for because God puts us through trials. In my struggles, I hope that this disconnection is all a test to strengthen my foundations. I'm afraid of what I might have to go through.

God gave us a scripture to deal with all of the questioning:

Proverbs 3:5

Trust in the Lord with all of your heart
Lean not on your own understanding

When I was new in my faith, God used this scripture to settle my doubts. I decided to give God all of my questions and allow Him to answer my questions, if and when He wanted to. I didn't make my belief in Him conditional on understanding certain things about Him or the bible.

I think that's what you need to do too. Don't make your faith in God conditional on any other premise than this; that God raised Jesus Christ from the dead and He is now sitting at the right hand of God in Heaven. This is what you need to know in your life, that Jesus Christ is Lord and the Savior of the world.

Start reading the gospel of John all the way through. The gospel of John testifies that it was written so that we would believe Jesus is the Christ. So, before each reading, pray and ask God to reveal Jesus Christ to you through the reading. Keep your ears and eyes open for God to speak to you and confirm His word, whether through a situation, circumstance, through another person or some other way. God bless

Upvote 0

derpytia

Compassion.
Site Supporter
Feb 22, 2016
United States
✟287,998.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single

There is always hope with God. If you do go through trials know that they are for your benefit (even if you can see no benefit in them. I'm struggling with holding on to that at the moment.) and that God is with you the entire way through that trial. No matter what happens to you or around you He will never stop loving you and He will be there. Even when you can't see Him or feel Him he is there. I know that whilst I go through my trials in life-- and trust me, there have been many and one I'm currently going through right now-- the knowledge that God does love me is what I hold onto; that and the little things that do make me smile or do bring me happiness.

You can also do some Christian reading outside of the Bible as it might help and broadening your thinking even. Just be careful which books you choose. There are many CF members that can direct you to some good books. My recommendations that really helped "wake my faith back up" so to speak are Mere Christianity by C.S. Lewis and The Case For Christ by Lee Strobel. :)

• Friendly
Upvote 0

Alien0

Feb 26, 2018
Tucson
✟7,827.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
God gave us a scripture to deal with all of the questioning:

Proverbs 3:5

Trust in the Lord with all of your heart
Lean not on your own understanding

When I was new in my faith, God used this scripture to settle my doubts. I decided to give God all of my questions and allow Him to answer my questions, if and when He wanted to. I didn't make my belief in Him conditional on understanding certain things about Him or the bible.

I think that's what you need to do too. Don't make your faith in God conditional on any other premise than this; that God raised Jesus Christ from the dead and He is now sitting at the right hand of God in Heaven. This is what you need to know in your life, that Jesus Christ is Lord and the Savior of the world.

Start reading the gospel of John all the way through. The gospel of John testifies that it was written so that we would believe Jesus is the Christ. So, before each reading, pray and ask God to reveal Jesus Christ to you through the reading. Keep your ears and eyes open for God to speak to you and confirm His word, whether through a situation, circumstance, through another person or some other way. God bless
I will start John tonight. Thank you.

Upvote 0

thesunisout

growing in grace
Site Supporter
Mar 24, 2011
He lifts me up
✟159,601.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I will start John tonight. Thank you.
Praise God, I will be praying for you. Try not to speed through it but rather meditate on what it is saying. Here is the scripture I referred to:

John 20:30-31

Jesus performed many other signs in the presence of His disciples, which are not written in this book. But these are written so that you may believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God, and that by believing you may have life in His name.

• Agree
Reactions: Brian Mcnamee
Upvote 0

Sketcher

Born Imperishable
Feb 23, 2004
✟380,149.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican

Well, we all have a sinful nature. If Jesus hadn't done the work he did on the cross and rising from the grave, we would all be toast. What I'm not following though, is why those specific questions would make you doubt the existence of God, since God's existence according to Christianity doesn't depend on their answers.
Homosexual behavior is wrong. How you're tempted doesn't count against you. It's what you do with the temptation that is the right or wrong thing to do.
So you believe God exists?
Also, what kinds of signs and answers were you seeking?
Conservatives can be moral too. Do you/can you believe this?
Why are we here? Why is there anything at all?
Why do you believe that he was talking about you specifically?

Upvote 0

Alien0

Feb 26, 2018
Tucson
✟7,827.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Well, we all have a sinful nature. If Jesus hadn't done the work he did on the cross and rising from the grave, we would all be toast. What I'm not following though, is why those specific questions would make you doubt the existence of God, since God's existence according to Christianity doesn't depend on their answers.

Homosexual behavior is wrong. How you're tempted doesn't count against you. It's what you do with the temptation that is the right or wrong thing to do.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Rescued One

...yet not I, but the grace of God that is with me
Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟80,025.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed

Please help me

None of us is perfect yet. And, sadly, there are unbelievers who go to church to make their clients or spouses happy. They aren't going to tell anyone how they feel inside. I don't think your pastor is omniscient. He may be right. Maybe there are people who went forward when there was an altar call and because of that they imagine they are saved. But how can humans judge that person's heart? Suppose the person has an anger problem and is a habitual liar. When confronted, he says, "That's just my nature."

If it's his nature, where's the conviction by the Holy Spirit that he should be following Christ and not living the way he used to? I can't judge him because God didn't give me permission to do that and besides, I can't see his heart. What I can and should do is pray for that person.

I questioned God's existence for a part of one day when I was about 20 years old. It was the most horrible feeling! It was so devastating that I said I couldn't go that route.

Don't assume that someone is or isn't a Christian. Remember that your pastor may not have realized the effect his words could have on some people. Forgive him and spend time in God's word. Keep reaching out to God. If a person really wants salvation, the desire came from God. That person will never be satisfied without God. The person who loves God is a Christian. He/she loves Jesus and wants to please Jesus.

2 Corinthians 13
5 Examine yourselves to see whether you are in the faith; test yourselves. Do you not realize that Christ Jesus is in you--unless, of course, you fail the test?

1 John 3
15 Everyone who hates his brother is a murderer; and you know that no murderer has eternal life abiding in him.

True Christians care about you and others.

:hug: :prayer:

• Friendly
Upvote 0

Rescued One

...yet not I, but the grace of God that is with me
Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟80,025.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed

Oh, yes, I was horribly depressed at one time, and someone told me to trust God. I told myself that I didn't know what God was going to have me go through, and that I didn't want any more stress.

Isaiah 43
2 When thou passest through the waters, I will be with thee; and through the rivers, they shall not overflow thee: when thou walkest through the fire, thou shalt not be burned; neither shall the flame kindle upon thee.

Life isn't easy, but God is still helping me.

Upvote 0

Alien0

Feb 26, 2018
Tucson
✟7,827.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married

#1. The existence of a God doesn't depend on the answers to my questions. But if you find holes in the logic of a religion, it's likely not true, obviously. I'm not saying that I have done this, I'm simply trying to understand if I am wrong, then why? I want to understand God.
#2. I am teetering on the edge of not believing and when I feel that on a deep level, I pray. That doesn't mean I believe and I'm not saying that I don't, either. I pray to God that if he's there, please reveal himself to me and help me become stronger in faith. If he doesn't, I'll know.

#3. I think politics is very relevant to what I'm feeling because most of the Christians I know are right-wing consevstives. I don't think they're bad people but I just disagree with them. If they are any indication of biblical guidance, than I don't agree with the bible, hence making me a non-believer, although that really goes beyond politics. Thats really just one example of how I feel separated from Christianity.

Lastly, I don't think he was talking about me specifically. It simply made me question if I could be someone who didn't believe like I thought I did.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Serving Zion

Seek First His Kingdom & Righteousness
May 7, 2016
Revelation 21:2
✟223,022.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Welcome to CF! I hope you will stay around long enough to find the people that will make you welcome and to become a part of the community :)
I was raised Christian my whole life and up until a few months ago, I never thought God wasn't real. There were moments in my teenage years when I wouldnt say I was religious but rather than disbelief, it was more of a rebellion against good and righteousness. You could say I was being an angsty, edgy teen. But as I grew, I matured out of it and went into Christianity head on. It didn't last long when I was sitting in Church and I heard my pastor say "a man can go his whole life and never believe in God even though he thinks he's saved." This left me with questions and this is when I actually began to deliberate over the existence of God.

For one, how can someone want salvation and not find it? Even if they don't believe, how can they not know they don't believe? How can God allow someone who wants the salvation he so graciously gifted mankind deny someone who is searching? I wondered if maybe that was me. What if I didn't believe and I decided I needed to evaluate my faith with reason and logic. When I did that, I didn't find what I was looking for. I set out to find out what was my natural inclination and it wasn't toward God.
Jesus said "the harvest is great but the workers are few" and this is typically my experience. When I am sharing the gospel, a majority of people are really interested and some people get into a deep conversation with me. I am often told that either people don't know much about Christianity already or that the ones they have heard the gospel from seem to be very adamant but not very thoughtful and it just didn't interest them. So I suppose it's largely a numbers game where quality counts.
It simply isn't the way God made the world, it comes as a consequence of someone else's sin toward us where their failure to love normally has failed to create a healthy regard for the opposite sex. (For instance, men are taught that it is not manly to cry, so fathers are generally much less free to express love than they would be if that pride did not constrain them .. consequently the daughter craves the fullness of compassion that belongs to love, that her father is afraid to express).

A spiritually healthy man in God's perfect world has a sexual relationship only with his wife and vice-versa. That type of world just doesn't exist in today's society. It's a foreign concept - it has been gradually deconstructed by those that craft Televised Media as social manipulators and trend-setters, (whether they are aware of their sorcery or whether they are blindly enslaved to their passions).

As a result of the abounding iniquity in our present society, the love has waxed cold (Matthew 24:12). So what society now produces is boys that are abhorrent in a girl's POV (they are rude and unsympathetic and they only want to have sex), while girls OTOH are viewed by boys as strange and difficult, more trouble than they are worth. They also are of the philosophy of "easy-come easy-go", where the value of the person as being a person isn't really a natural expression of their mind.

So everyone is feeling unloved, there is distrust between the sexes and as a result, the boys and girls find that their own type are easier to identify with. Lesser knowledge of the value of sexual morality as righteousness results in philosophies reasoning that homophobia is itself immoral, so that people have all round lost the knowledge of how to maintain a functional, loving society where people are valued (ie: emotionally and spiritually healthy).

You mentioned that you have always been bisexual, but I have to tell you that it just isn't true. Sexual attraction is a way of thinking about the physical appearance (and mentality) of a sex that causes us to experience some sexual gratification. It is a sensual pleasure and as such, it is a sense of taste and a way of thinking that has to be developed because we all begin without any sense of taste or sexual perception at birth. Those things are developed as we experience pleasure and displeasure from the world, identifying patterns as a means of controlling our environment (that is what humans do).

In a culture where boys are not so abhorrent to girls and heterosexuality is encouraged, the tendency toward homosexuality is lessened - there is less demand for it. But where a culture produces boys that are emotionally harmful toward girls and girls are encouraged to experience sexuality together, the temptation to think that way combines with opportunity to open her eyes to a new experience - an experience that she has not found to be distasteful, and she learns the pattern.

If you look at your history with this view (and it could take years for you to recall every single event), you will observe that there have been things said here and things said there, and things seen on TV and things people have done that all add up to create a series of events that caused your mind to become accustomed to experiencing the world the way you do. This is actually very typical and it is the very assault that comes upon mankind that gives meaning to the phrase "death spread to all mankind because all sinned". We live in a fallen world, and the fallen world makes us fall before we know it and it is not until calamity comes that we realise how fallen we have become and that we need to be born again "being transformed by the renewing of the mind" - "putting off the former man with his corruptibility and putting on the new man, fashioned in the likeness of Christ".
I am sorry that it is taking so long, but do remember that He loves you and that it really does take time to change a person's heart and mind, and especially as He has to coordinate all sorts of events and people, and not many of them are of a high quality,.. yes it really isn't every day that salvation happens! .. but He did give us a promise: ask, it will be given. Seek, you shall find. Knock, the door will be opened to you. Remember Luke 11:5-8, that even if you need to ask again and again, it isn't that The Lord is not faithful nor able .. but that the love has grown cold and therefore people are not all so able to help as they could be.
We really do need to love God first and foremost. One of God's qualities is light. Light is defined as being totally open and not hidden from view. This means that to love God, we need to love the truth in full honesty. Sadly, not everyone who calls themselves Christian can do this, and this is why there are scriptures saying that "if we say we have fellowship with Him and yet we walk in darkness, we lie and do not live out the truth". So it is with those who seek to be Christian .. if it is the true vine that one seeks to belong (John 15), then they also must be willing to subject themselves to the light and to venture into the knowledge of what is good and bad about themselves according to the truth. This does mean that most of us are going to find that there are things we have learned to love from the world that we will find we have to turn away from. But it won't be that we have to do this while believing it is wrong, because the light itself will ensure that we know and understand the reason why it is right and wrong .. otherwise the truth would be that we are doing an unwilling sacrifice and not honestly choosing to do what is right for the sake of doing what is right! (consider James 4:17, Romans 8:1-14).
God is certainly not "fitting in" with the way society is going, .. society is certainly heading toward collision with God because it keeps refusing the knowledge that would equip it to live in a way that pleases Him (consider Malachi 4:5-6, Matthew 6:24).
Want to know if I can just forget all of this and decide to believe even though that clearly goes against what my pastor said. I need to know what I can do to find my faith. I want to know someone can go their entire lives reading the word and practicing Christianity and have no eternal life to show for it.
The world is fixed against God - this is why it is hell-bent on destruction. The only way to be for God is to be prepared to oppose the entirety of the world whenever it presents itself opposed to Him - but that actually has to begin with opposing one's own sinful self so that we can withstand all accusations that others would so love to bring (Isaiah 54:17). In this way we become the instrument for His work (Romans 12:1).
I've never felt more alone in this universe than I do now.
:hug: A man with many friends may be harmed by them, but there is a friend who sticks closer than a brother. :hug:
- Proverbs 18:24

Upvote 0

mukk_in

Yankees Fan
Site Supporter
Oct 13, 2009
Vellore, India
✟664,706.00
Country
India
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate

Please help me
Sometimes it's easy to misunderstand what Pastor's are trying to teach you. The fruit of the Holy Spirit in a changed and altered life will manifest itself in you in God's good time. The assurance of the Holy Spirit will also be given you in time (it was 6 years after water baptism that I was baptized in the Holy Spirit). You were running a good race. These doubts are quite normal. Don't judge God by observing Christians. Remember that Christians are forgiven, but not always perfect. Stay focused on Jesus only. You've asked the Lord for signs and miracles. He's already given you one, the resurrection of Jesus of Nazareth. Specific signs like jobs, healing, friends etc. will also be given you in God's good time. Just be patient. This may not help, but trust me, all of us have been there. If you get a chance listen to Michael W. Smith's song "Place in this world." That helped me when I had all kind of questions about the Lord. God bless you child and I'll be praying for you :).

Upvote 0

Sketcher

Born Imperishable
Feb 23, 2004
✟380,149.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
#1. The existence of a God doesn't depend on the answers to my questions. But if you find holes in the logic of a religion, it's likely not true, obviously. I'm not saying that I have done this, I'm simply trying to understand if I am wrong, then why? I want to understand God.
In the case of Christianity at very least, the thing to do is look at its irreducible core. Then build up from there according to the Bible. There are many different theologies and assumptions that come with those theologies. With them comes more opportunity for a hole in logic. For instance, let's take the so-called "prosperity gospel" teaching that if you believe "good enough" then God will answer your prayer for money or healing. The money or healing doesn't come. Does that mean Christianity isn't true? Heck no. That means the school of thought you subscribed to is wrong. See the difference?

#2. I am teetering on the edge of not believing and when I feel that on a deep level, I pray. That doesn't mean I believe and I'm not saying that I don't, either. I pray to God that if he's there, please reveal himself to me and help me become stronger in faith. If he doesn't, I'll know.
Ah, thank you. Sounds similar to where I was at years ago. Doubt can be a stubborn beast, be patient.

What Christian books have you read that address the question of whether or not God exists?

#3. I think politics is very relevant to what I'm feeling because most of the Christians I know are right-wing consevstives. I don't think they're bad people but I just disagree with them. If they are any indication of biblical guidance, than I don't agree with the bible, hence making me a non-believer, although that really goes beyond politics. Thats really just one example of how I feel separated from Christianity.
This is impossible to make a call on without looking at the relevant passages. It's also important to be able to separate what is "compatible with" Scripture vs. what is "commanded by" Scripture. Much of politics falls into the first category rather than the second.

Lastly, I don't think he was talking about me specifically. It simply made me question if I could be someone who didn't believe like I thought I did.
Thank you for clarifying.

Upvote 0

Liza B.

His grace is sufficient
Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2017
Midwest
✟163,572.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married

You will never fully understand God. Neither will I. This is baked into the cake. If we could understand Him, He couldn't be God, right? He wouldn't be superior, He would be one of us.

The Bible absolutely transcends politics.

Upvote 0

r4.h

Feb 11, 2018
Hamilton
✟20,810.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Hi i was an atheist come to Christ at age 28, i see people leaving their faith and say "you can go there, but im never going back, Theres nothing there, believe me".

But that dosent mean i dont get smashed around until i almost give up sometimes, but I am either reminded of Phil 1:6 "God always finishes what He starts" and what the disciples said when Jesus asked them if they too would leave with the droves who loved being fed, but didnt like it when the terms and conditions were spelled out. Jn 6:67

The bible correctly states that homosexuality is "against nature", that is for men it is against nature to place any object up the rectum, and for women (lesbians) it is simply frustrating the natural drive to procreate.
Of course some feel no desire for normal relations, but that is either from parents that didnt model Gods love for one another and/or father showed indifference or hostility to his children. Or like me, i started with soft inappropriate content as a teenager, but was becoming seriously perverted as my addictive nature always wanted to try more, much like druggies,

Go to a safe isolated place and just rell God your most honest thoughts, shake your fist, pound the ground if thats what your really feeling, but just be honest and open. Many in the bible showed fierce anger, Jonah wanted to die because God made him look like a false prophet, but i dont know of anyone God got angry at for being angry.

I dont mean lose all control and blaspheme or curse God, thats neither wise or fair to God who has always shown us mercy and grace.

Upvote 0