Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
I understand the struggles that the Kurdish people have to face, but giving them independence now would cause chaos in the Middle East.

As you can see from the map below, the Kurds are spread across Turkey, Iraq, Iran and Syria (and Armenia, but that is not relevant here).
_78409411_kurds_map624_kobane.gif

This is a problem since, lets say, if the Iraqi and Syrian Kurds gain independence, they will try to join with their brothers and sisters in Turkey and Iran, causing destabilization of said countries as Dick Cheney explained in an interview with C-SPAN in 1994:

Furthermore, it is possible that it will emerge as a failed state, just like Eritrea from Ethiopia and South Sudan from Sudan.

Don't get me wrong, I do want the Kurds to be independent, but it has be gradual.

Attachments

• _78409411_kurds_map624_kobane.jpg
    _78409411_kurds_map624_kobane.jpg
    26.1 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:

Ttalkkugjil

Social Pastor
Mar 6, 2019
Suwon
✟34,572.00
Country
Korea, Republic Of
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
I understand the struggles that the Kurdish people have to face, but giving them independence now would cause chaos in the Middle East.

As you can see from the map below, the Kurds are spread across Turkey, Iraq, Iran and Syria (and Armenia, but that is not relevant here).
_78409411_kurds_map624_kobane.gif

This is a problem since, lets say, if the Iraqi and Syrian Kurds gain independence, they will try to join with their brothers and sisters in Turkey and Iran, causing destabilization of said countries as Dick Cheney from 1994 in an interview with C-SPAN explained:

Furthermore, it is possible that it will emerge as a failed state, just like Eritrea from Ethiopia and South Sudan from Sudan.

Don't get me wrong, I do want the Kurds to be independent, but it has be gradual.

Fascinating to me to hear an American wanting to slow down the independence of another people group.

Upvote 0

JosephZ

Mar 25, 2017
Davao City
Visit site
✟229,597.00
Country
Philippines
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Had the colonial powers of France and Great Britain followed the region’s cultural and ethnic lines when drawing up the maps for the Middle East during WW 1 rather than using a ruler to make them, then a lot of the problems we see today wouldn't be taking place. Had they taken the time to do this, the Kurds would have already had their own country and it's borders would probably look pretty similar to the image in the OP. It's pretty difficult to correct the mistakes of the past, especially a century after the fact.

Upvote 0

MariaJLM

Crazy Cat Lady
Aug 1, 2018
Calgary
✟50,815.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
CA-Others
Funny how Americans were okay with the creation of Israel which involved pushing out and suppressing the local populations, thus upsetting nearly all of the Arab world, yet the minute an independent Kurdistan is mentioned everybody is up in arms.

Upvote 0

Sarsath

Feb 20, 2018
Wisconsin
✟51,471.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
One thing that all of the countries of the world--even mutual antagonists--have agreed on for centuries is that there should not be an independent Kurdistan.
That's not what I was saying. I was saying that now is not the time for an independent Kurdistan.

Upvote 0

Sarsath

Feb 20, 2018
Wisconsin
✟51,471.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
I understand the struggles that the people of the colonies have to face, but giving them independence now would cause chaos in North America.
The United States was a whole different story. It didn't bring destabilization to North America as much as Kurdistan potentially can to the Middle East and the American Revolution did more good than bad for the world. Also, America did not turn out to be a failed state. Kurdistan's president also seems to be a corrupt guy as this article explains: This Is Not the Time for an Independent Kurdistan

Also, nice profile picture (no really, I like it).

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Nithavela

our world is happy and mundane
Apr 14, 2007
Comb. Pizza Hut and Taco Bell/Jamaica Avenue.
✟492,680.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
The United States was a whole different story. It didn't bring destabilization to North America as much as Kurdistan potentially can to the Middle East and the American Revolution did more good than bad for the world.

The USA led wars against Mexico, Canada and against the various native american nations after the revolutionary war. It literally fought against anyone it could reach without boats.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.