I'm not religious, I have a relationship with God.

Ken-1122

Jan 30, 2011
✟225,690.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
I heard a person who appeared to be Christian say this. What does this mean? He said religion is man's interpretation of God, where relationship with God is God without man's interference. But it seems to me, because men wrote the bible, without religion you don't get the Bible, and without the Bible you don't get Jesus; so how do you get to Jesus without religion?

Chris V++

Associate Member
Site Supporter
Mar 16, 2018
Dela Where?
Visit site
✟676,472.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I heard a person who appeared to be Christian say this. What does this mean? He said religion is man's interpretation of God, where relationship with God is God without man's interference. But it seems to me, because men wrote the bible, without religion you don't get the Bible, and without the Bible you don't get Jesus; so how do you get to Jesus without religion?
He is referring to religion as participating in formal, standardized practices and rituals as a means of worship and participating in sacraments whereas his relationship with God is this person's way of describing his personalized experiences with God and how God inspires and nurtures his soul or spirit.

Upvote 0

Dave L

Site Supporter
Jun 28, 2018
USA
✟580,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
“Pure religion and undefiled before God and the Father is this, To visit the fatherless and widows in their affliction, and to keep himself unspotted from the world.” James 1:27 (KJV 1900)

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Apparently, he means that what he supposes to be his mental connection to God or his appreciation of God is all that's necessary for him.

Unfortunately, that theory is contradicted on page after page of the Bible, so if he is a believer in some impersonal "higher intelligence" that he calls God, it has almost nothing to do with Christianity.

• Agree
Reactions: Taodeching
Upvote 0

Ceallaigh

May God be with you and bless you.
Site Supporter
Oct 2, 2020
✟607,074.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I've known God since I was little. Before I knew much about what the Bible says and what various denominations say the Bible says. Now I know quite a lot of that, but my relationship with my Abba is still that of a child in need of His help and guidance.

And he said: “Truly I tell you, unless you change and become like little children, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven. Matthew 18:3

Upvote 0

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟952,045.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
It sounds like he places a primacy on relationship with God rather than institutions or traditions. Oftentimes people esteem these more than their neighbor. They’re a demigod of sorts.

~bella

Upvote 0

Ceallaigh

May God be with you and bless you.
Site Supporter
Oct 2, 2020
✟607,074.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
A lot of people who say that they've known God without having had any guidance about who he is are really saying that they've known (or felt) that there IS a God, not necessarily the only true God but just the concept.

I'd say there needs to be a combination of knowing God, and knowing about God through reading the Bible and receiving sound teaching.

Some are religious and go through the motions and have a really good academic knowledge, but they don't actually know God.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
It sounds like he places a primacy on relationship with God rather than institutions or traditions. Oftentimes people esteem these more than their neighbor. They’re a demigod of sorts.

~bella
What good is a "primacy on (a) relationship with God (which doesn't exist except in the imagination), if it's not the real God?

All sorts of people have believed in Odin or Baal or other such imaginary beings, but what good did that do them?

• Agree
Reactions: Taodeching
Upvote 0

Handmaid for Jesus

You can't steal my joy
Site Supporter
Dec 19, 2010
enroute
✟1,404,751.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
so how do you get to Jesus without religion?
By FAITH! :) . Well, you did ask so let me tell you. Faith comes by hearing and hearing by the word of God. Faith is not religion in itself.Everyone has the measure of faith that God gives to everyone.Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ and you will be saved and your house. It is very easy.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I'd say there needs to be a combination of knowing God, and knowing about God through reading the Bible and receiving sound teaching.
Thanks.

Now let's all remember where this started. The comment that was made in the Original Post was this--

I heard a person who appeared to be Christian say this. What does this mean? He said religion is man's interpretation of God, where relationship with God is God without man's interference.

and this:
But it seems to me, because men wrote the bible, without religion you don't get the Bible, and without the Bible you don't get Jesus; so how do you get to Jesus without religion?

Upvote 0

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟952,045.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
What good is a "primacy on (a) relationship with God (which doesn't exist except in the imagination), if it's not the real God?

All sorts of people have believed in Odin or Baal or other such imaginary beings, but what good did that do them?

I made no reference to pagan gods in that statement. How did you make the leap?

~bella

Upvote 0

zoidar

loves Jesus the Christ! ✝️
Site Supporter
Sep 18, 2010
✟886,048.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

We may follow a religion like Christianity. We know everything about this religion, but that don't do much unless we get to know Jesus. It's through the Holy Spirit we start to not only know about Jesus, but know him as a real person, a friend. We start to love him and follow him, not only know him as a vague character. I hope that makes sense.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I made no reference to pagan gods in that statement. How did you make the leap?

~bella
No leap. If all that matters when it comes to relating to the Almighty is
"a primacy on relationship with God rather than institutions or traditions," then it wouldn't make any difference what gods or theories about first causes, etc. a person believes in (including some of the false deities from history).

Upvote 0

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟952,045.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
No leap. If all that matters when it comes to relating to the Almighty is
"a primacy on relationship with God rather than institutions or traditions," then it wouldn't make any difference what gods or theories about first causes, etc. a person believes in (including some of the false deities from history).

You don’t have to follow a denomination or tradition to be saved or love God. If he accepts Christ as his Savior that’s enough.

~bella

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

sandman

Aug 17, 2003
MI
✟121,866.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
Politics
US-Constitution
“All scripture is given by inspiration of God” (2Ti 3:16) …”received by revelation of Jesus Christ”. (Gal 1:12) …”and that no prophecy of the scripture is of any private interpretation”. (2Pe 1:20) …”but holy men of God spake as they were moved by the Holy Ghost”. (2Pe 1:21).

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
You don’t have to follow a denomination or tradition to be saved or love God. If he accepts Christ as his Savior that’s enough.

~bella
That's how you interpreted the question asked by the OP?

I read "Ken" to be asking about a person who said nothing about accepting Christ as his Savior.

He said religion is man's interpretation of God, where relationship with God is God without man's interference. But it seems to me, because men wrote the bible, without religion you don't get the Bible, and without the Bible you don't get Jesus; so how do you get to Jesus without religion?

Upvote 0

Chris V++

Associate Member
Site Supporter
Mar 16, 2018
Dela Where?
Visit site
✟676,472.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
without religion you don't get the Bible, and without the Bible you don't get Jesus; so how do you get to Jesus without religion?
You make a great point that Christianity and culture flourished by the aggregate efforts of what many think of as 'religious institutions' including and especially the preservation and dissemination of the Bible.

Upvote 0

rturner76

Domine non-sum dignus
Site Supporter
May 10, 2011
Twin Cities
✟733,730.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
I don't think the two are mutually exclusive. It is our religion that helps us be closer to God through his commandments and sacraments. That can also be coupled with mysticism and meditation to strengthen the bond with God and listen for his inspiration. That is where the "relationship" part can be developed.

Obedience also brings us closer to God and that's where religion comes in to give us instruction. I think we do need some kind of guide like religion to make sure we are doing what God has ordained.

EDIT: I guess at the end of the day the relationship is what is most important but the expression of that relationship depends on your religion.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟952,045.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
That's how you interpreted the question asked by the OP?

I read "Ken" to be asking about a person who said nothing about accepting Christ as his Savior.

He didn’t mention paganism either.

Upvote 0