I'm not going to make it to Ash Wednesday services this year....

Wolseley

Beaucoup-Diên-Cai-Dāu
Feb 5, 2002
By the shores of Gitchee-Goomee
✟275,937.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
My truck has been laid up for a month with some sort of a leak; we haven't had the money to get it fixed yet. We've been using Momma's truck for all our travelling, but I noticed last Sunday on my way back from Mass that the brakes were kind of spongy.

Momma took Noah to a medical appointment this afternoon, and I told her to keep an eye on the brakes. She called me about half a hour later, and said, "The brakes aren't spongy any more, they're completely GONE. I dropped Noah off and went straight to the mechanic's. Can you find enough transmission fluid to put into your truck to come get him and me, if need be?"

I said I would check. Turns out it didn't need transmission fluid (which is what I thought was leaking), it was oil. Not a drop in the engine---the dipstick came up completely clean. I looked around the garage. Antifreeze, window washer fluid, brake fluid, power steering fluid, chain saw bar oil, even a can of kerosene. Not a drop of oil. Called Momma back and said, "I can't drive this thing, because it has no oil in it, and we can't afford to replace the engine."

Long story short, I had to borrow the car from one of Noah's friends.....a tiny Chevy that was designed to fit an 80-pound Asian teenager instead of a six foot, 250-pound American cripple with a bad back and stiff shoulders. But I managed to pretzel myself into small enough of a wad to get into it. Went and picked up Momma. The brake line had rusted through and will have to be replaced; won't be ready until tomorrow afternoon sometime. We went over and picked up Noah. On the way back, we stopped at Wal-Mart so Momma could get some items, and I bought four gallons (not quarts, mind you---gallons) of 5W30 motor oil, to put into my truck when it's time to go pick up her truck.

But it won't be tomorrow. For the same reason I won't be making it to Ash Wednesday services. Here's the forecast:

NOAA said:
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE EXTENDED FORECAST: WINTER STORM WARNING IN EFFECT FROM 10 AM EST WEDNESDAY TO 1 PM EST THURSDAY...

* WHAT...Heavy mixed precipitation expected. Total snow and sleet
accumulations of 3 to 7 inches and ice accumulations of up to
two tenths of an inch. Winds gusting as high as 45 mph.

* WHERE...Portions of central and west central Michigan.

* WHEN...From 10 AM Wednesday to 1 PM EST Thursday.

* IMPACTS...Plan on slippery road conditions. Areas of blowing
snow could significantly reduce visibility. The hazardous
conditions will greatly impact the Wednesday evening commute.

* ADDITIONAL DETAILS...The heaviest snow accumulations will be
near and north of Highway U.S. 10.

You are strongly urged not to travel. If you must travel, keep an extra flashlight, food, and water in your vehicle in case of an emergency.

That's on top of the 60% chance of snow we're supposed to get tonight. There is no way I'm going out in that mess. Especially since I don't have a reliable vehicle.

(sigh) Well, I almost made it a whole month without car repairs. :(

Last edited:

Gnarwhal

☩ Broman Catholic ☩
Oct 31, 2008
N/A
✟425,827.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
My truck has been laid up for a month with some sort of a leak; we haven't had the money to get it fixed yet. We've been using Momma's truck for all our travelling, but I noticed last Sunday on my way back from Mass that the brakes were kind of spongy.

Momma took Noah to a medical appointment this afternoon, and I told her to keep an eye on the brakes. She called me about half a hour later, and said, "The brakes aren't spongy any more, they're completely GONE. I dropped Noah off and went straight to the mechanic's. Can you find enough transmission fluid to put into your truck to come get him and me, if need be?"

I said I would check. Turns out it didn't need transmission fluid (which is what I thought was leaking), it was oil. Not a drop in the engine---the dipstick came up completely clean. I looked around the garage. Antifreeze, window washer fluid, brake fluid, power steering fluid, chain saw bar oil, even a can of kerosene. Not a drop of oil. Called Momma back and said, "I can't drive this thing, because it has no oil in it, and we can't afford to replace the engine."

Long story short, I had to borrow the car from one of Noah's friends.....a tiny Chevy that was designed to fit an 80-pound Asian teenager instead of a six foot, 250-pound American cripple with a bad back and stiff shoulders. But I managed to pretzel myself into small enough of a wad to get into it. Went and picked up Momma. The brake line had rusted through and will have to be replaced; won't be ready until tomorrow afternoon sometime. We went over and picked up Noah. On the way back, we stopped at Wal-Mart so Momma could get some items, and I bought four gallons (not quarts, mind you---gallons) of 5W30 motor oil, to put into my truck when it's time to go pick up her truck.

But it won't be tomorrow. For the same reason I won't be making it to Ash Wednesday services. Here's the forecast:

That's on top of the 60% chance of snow we're supposed to get tonight. There is no way I'm going out in that mess. Especially since I don't have a reliable vehicle.

(sigh) Well, I almost made it a whole month without car repairs. :(
Dang I'm sorry to hear about that run of car mishaps, hopefully things work out with as little impact on your pocketbook as possible. Sorry you guys can't make it to Ash Wednesday either, I'm sure that's disappointing!

Upvote 0

Lady Bug

Thankful For My Confirmation
Site Supporter
Aug 23, 2007
✟782,535.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
I was all set to go to Ash Wednesday tomorrow but there's an ice storm warning for tomorrow. Ice accumulations up to a half inch. Winds up to 40 mph. Power outages, tree damages likely. Travel is said to be "nearly impossible." It is said that hazardous travel conditions will greatly impact Wednesday's commute. Travel discouraged, but if need be, keep an extra flashlight, food, and water.

Looks like something I should probably not hazard. Sadly, I missed my first All Saints Day as a Catholic, and now missing Ash Wednesday. I'm not doing very well as a new Catholic, it seems. I'm grateful that AW isn't a holy day of obligation, but I had read the readings and rubrics for it from Magnificat, and I feel like all that work was for naught, now.

Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,234,480.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
Looks like something I should probably not hazard. Sadly, I missed my first All Saints Day as a Catholic, and now missing Ash Wednesday. I'm not doing very well as a new Catholic, it seems. I'm grateful that AW isn't a holy day of obligation …
It’s a very popular day but not one we HAVE TO attend. I still have a Minnesota attitude about winter storms even though I’m in a somewhat wimpier area now. But I get it that sometimes it’s just dumb to go out. We are asked to do the possible heroically but not the impossible.

Upvote 0