• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.

I'm not exactly Atheist, but I'm not exactly agnostic either...

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by reina23, Dec 11, 2005.

1. reina23

reina23 Member

+8
    Other Religion
    In Relationship
    US-Others
    So I believe in a force if you will, I think it set evolution into motion, but its nothing to worship, nor a human like form. Its an it.. I believe Jesus walked the earth, I just don't believe I should follow him. I don't believe in Heaven or Hell, but I do believe in a state of exsistence after death, or reincarnation. I believe I should live my life how I want to, and that I am in control of it.

So what exactly can my beliefs be categorized into?

We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. Danhalen

Danhalen Healing

+437
    Atheist
    Married
    US-Others
    Theist at most. Deist at least. Pantheist in the middle.

3. Btodd

Btodd Well-Known Member

+279
    Atheist
    Private
    New-agey theism?

Btodd

4. quatona

quatona "God"? What do you mean??

+4,114
    Seeker
    I would recommend you to enjoy every moment, that your beliefs are not categorized. Once it is done, you will have more trouble explaining how your personal beliefs do not completely match this category and explaining that what another person understands this label to mean is not what you mean by it, than with doing what you have done in the OP: simply giving a short explanation as to what your beliefs are. :)

(I once used to think, that "atheist" is a pretty clear and hardly mistakable label. Until I came to GA...)

5. Patzak

Patzak Active Member

+29
    Atheist
    Single
    If you believe the force to be currently active in the world - probably pantheist. If you only believe it set everything in motion, then deist. Considering reincarnation - maybe Buddhism, which also lacks a personal God (though I don't think Buddhists believe in the kind of force you describe - maybe karma though)...

I can kind of see where you're coming from; I consider myself an atheist cause I don't really believe in the things you mention but I have considered them in the past and found them to be the closest I can come to being religious.

6. yasic

yasic Part time poster, Full time lurker

+197
    Atheist
    I also usted to think athiest was a very clear label...

Until I found out that my understand of athiesm, and my belief system, is a minority that falls under the definition.

7. reina23

reina23 Member

+8
    Other Religion
    In Relationship
    US-Others
    hmm :)
    thanks everyone for your replies.

8. reina23

reina23 Member

+8
    Other Religion
    In Relationship
    US-Others
    I don't really believe that it is still active. I don't see it as a God either. And I sort of believe in Karma.

9. ThatRobGuy

ThatRobGuy Programmer Extraordinaire Supporter

+7,511
    United States
    Atheist
    Single
    US-Others
    You could be a universalist like myself, but that takes in a wide variety of people.

10. Q2004

Q2004 Regular Member

+14
    Seeker
    Private
    US-Others
    Crazy-eastern-quasi-theist?

11. GnosticBodhi

GnosticBodhi Regular Member

+14
    Other Religion
    Maybe deism?

12. Eudaimonist

Eudaimonist I believe in life before death!

+2,586
    Atheist
    Private
    US-Libertarian
    Is this force the universe as a whole? Or does it come from "outside" of (i.e. transcends) the universe? Or is it only something that exists within the universe?

If it is the universe, this is a form of pantheism.

If it transcends the universe, this could be an impersonal form of deism, but only if it is no longer active.

If it only exists within the universe, I'm not sure what to call it. I suppose it is just a form of impersonal theism.

13. Received

Received True love waits in haunted attics

+732
    Christian
    Married
    Is the force physical or metaphysical? If the former, you can pass for a non-theist; if the latter, you're down with theism, given that theism is typically metaphysically qualified. But even if you believed the former, seeing how you believe in an afterlife with or without reincarnation, atheism won't fly: we're down with the rare and fascinating finite godism.

14. Eudaimonist

Eudaimonist I believe in life before death!

+2,586
    Atheist
    Private
    US-Libertarian
    Atheism is compatible with life after death. Atheism does not require materialism.

15. peepnklown

peepnklown rabbi peepnklown

+204
    Agnostic
    Private
    US-Libertarian
    Buddhinduanimtianityjudaislapagadesit

16. rosenherman

rosenherman Sparkly rainbow butterfly kitten

+245
    Methodist
    US-Republican
    Agnostic

17. Stormy

Stormy Senior Contributor

+825
    Christian
    US-Others
    Just curious... Are these really beliefs that you have? Or are they just thoughts on the subject?

What I mean is how can you base a belief in a God "force", when you have nothing to back in up, and even you say he is no longer active in the World.

IMO Sounds like evolution didn't quite solve the god problem for you so you have adopted a God of the Gaps?

Is your fear of death the reason your "force" has allowed you to live on in some form after death?

Now you want a name to put on your position? Let me see...

Well to begin with you are an Atheist. Unless you see this 'force' as a God then you have no belief in God. Maybe you could become a Buddhist?

18. Natro

Natro Agnostic Atheist

+93
    Atheist
    Yeah. All Atheism requires is a lack of belief in a god. Anything else including the spirtural and souls and Ghost are still up for grabs.

19. Blackmarch

Blackmarch Legend

+287
    Mormon
    Single
    It sounds like something more oriental/eastern hemisphere type beliefs... wouldn't know much more than that for categorization technicalities.
    Thanks for sharing your beliefs. Very interesting.

20. hordeprime

hordeprime God loves Atheists.

+69
    Atheist
    Jedi.

Unless you start using your powers for evil. Then Sith.