Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Thanks :) I am blessed to have a great wife that is understanding and reasonably sensitive to this :)
I'm glad you feel that way. I've learned from this thread (which was my reason for starting it) and hope my husband feels the same way about me.

Upvote 0

mkgal1

His perfect way sets me free. 2 Samuel 22:33
Supporter
Jun 22, 2007
California
✟551,233.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
TampaSteve had said that when he is pushed to explain and defend his way of doing things it makes him feel inadequate. Do you suppose there's a way to help another person overcome that (I don't mean Steve specifically.....that's a VERY common issue, even for people w/o health issues)? What I mean is....to where they're confident enough to hear other's suggestions *without* feeling inadequate or criticized, but instead, just hear another person's opinion? Maybe in the actual process isn't the best time....but any ideas?

I say that because I have always had the opinion to just back off and not aggravate others....but my daughter recently shared how patient and caring her b/f was in sharing with her his constructive ....uh....his other idea while she was completing something. She was impressed with his way of making her see things in a different way (and just that he was willing to risk conflict....but still diffuse it).

Upvote 0

tampasteve

Pray for peace in Israel
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Angels Team
CF Senior Ambassador
Supporter
May 15, 2017
Tampa
✟768,102.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
TampaSteve had said that when he is pushed to explain and defend his way of doing things it makes him feel inadequate. Do you suppose there's a way to help another person overcome that (I don't mean Steve specifically.....that's a VERY common issue, even for people w/o health issues)? What I mean is....to where they're confident enough to hear other's suggestions *without* feeling inadequate or criticized, but instead, just hear another person's opinion? Maybe in the actual process isn't the best time....but any ideas?

I say that because I have always had the opinion to just back off and not aggravate others....but my daughter recently shared how patient and caring her b/f was in sharing with her his constructive ....uh....his other idea while she was completing something. She was impressed with his way of making her see things in a different way (and just that he was willing to risk conflict....but still diffuse it).
Hmm, good question. I think a lot depends on the situation and subject at hand. If it is something physical or similar I would be more put off by suggestions on how to accomplish my goal. If it is something about work or finances, I welcome my wife's opinion greatly as she is more skilled in those categories than I am.

Perhaps part of the equation is how qualified the advice is. Is it an opinion where one is really equal to the other, but one just feels that their opinion is right? On the other hand if one is more qualified than another in a particular situation, their advice should be heeded.

Sometimes rather than suggesting another way it is better to lead by example, perhaps help carry the load on the tarp or whatever the case may be. If the other person sees it is a better way they will likely start doing the work that way, at least I would.

Upvote 0