Midwest
✟79,668.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
I have this book written by Regina Samuelson (not her real name). I picked it up this morning and started to read it. I just want to share a small portion so far:

"Mormonism --- to an outsider --- is INCOMPREHENSIVELY ALL-ENCOMPASSING. Every aspect of your life, every association you have, every conversation in which you engage, EVERY SINGLE THING about your life has something to do with being a Mormon. When you wake up in the morning, you're supposed to roll out of bed and onto your knees and start the day with prayer. You're supposed to read your scriptures for at least half an hour --- preferably the Book of Mormon either in the morning or evening, or really whenever you get the chance. (A friend of mine wandered into a seminary room once and saw a sign on the wall that blew him away: 'Before your homework, READ YOUR SCRIPTURES!' no joke.) After morning prayers come family prayers; some families say a family prayer before bed at night, some first thing in the morning, some both. Then there's breakfast, and you pray before eating...usually something to do with 'nourishing and strengthening' your body. (It's a Mormon prayer catch-phrase lifted from the scriptures.) If you're in a high school outside of Arizona or Utah (Mormon 'Mecca'), you have early-morning seminary, which means basically an hour-long 6 AM Bible study class. You pray your way throughout the day, smile warmly at non-members (because who knows but a simple comment from you could plant the seed of conversion in their hearts!), you chat in and off with your social network - mostly Mormon - all day long, pray silently at lunch, out loud with your family over dinner (since you're having dinner at home, like a good LDS family), and if it's Monday night, you have family night: a gospel lesson, a hymn, a couple of prayers, and an activity. Don't forget to pray before bed, too! (And be sure not to let your prayers get repetitive; God doesn't like that.) If it's a Sunday, add three hours of church, no television or music (except Mormon stuff) and a crock pot dinner.

"No, not all Mormons live like that, but it IS the gold standard...a veritable righteousness competition!"
Rebecca Samuelson, I'm (No Longer) a Mormon, p. 7-8

Note: Seminary is actually an hour-long 6 AM LDS scripture study class, five mornings a week.

We were just as busy when I was a Mormon, but there have been some changes concerning the day of some meetings.

NOTE: This thread is NOT about prayer.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Informative
Reactions: vinsight4u

Virgil the Roman

Young Fogey & Monarchist-Distributist . . .
Jan 14, 2006
Kentucky
✟64,604.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
Fascinating . . . :) There's nothing wrong with having an "all-encompassing" prayer-life and a rock solid family life as this implies. It is a laudable goal, routine, and habit that we as Christians ought to practise. We all should imitate such routine, albeit not with such doctrinal errors as the Mormon community proffers, though. ;)

Upvote 0

gadar perets

Messianic Hebrew
May 11, 2016
NC
Visit site
✟130,996.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I LOVE God and I LOVE my prayer times!

As a Mormon, however, I was exhausted all the time.
There is a solution for mankind's exhaustion;

Exo 20:8 Remember the sabbath day, to keep it holy.
Exo 20:9 Six days shalt thou labour, and do all thy work:
Exo 20:10 But the seventh day is the Sabbath of YHWH thy God: in it thou shalt not do any work, thou, nor thy son, nor thy daughter, thy manservant, nor thy maidservant, nor thy cattle, nor thy stranger that is within thy gates:
Exo 20:11 For in six days YHWH made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that in them is, and rested the seventh day: wherefore YHWH blessed the Sabbath day, and hallowed it.​

Upvote 0

Virgil the Roman

Young Fogey & Monarchist-Distributist . . .
Jan 14, 2006
Kentucky
✟64,604.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
I've Morning and Evening prayers; my rosary to meditate upon the life of Our dear Saviour. And try to send up a prayer every so often throughout the day to renew my love for and confidence in Our Blessed Lord and His most Sacred Heart, His mercy, His grace, and His loving-Charity. :)

Upvote 0

gadar perets

Messianic Hebrew
May 11, 2016
NC
Visit site
✟130,996.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
God doesn't expect us to work each day without rest nor is rest confined to one day a week.
Only the 7th day of the week has a special blessing for rest (Genesis 2:1-3).

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Peter1000

Nov 12, 2015
✟124,865.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
I have this book written by Regina Samuelson (not her real name). I picked it up this morning and started to read it. I just want to share a small portion so far:

"Mormonism --- to an outsider --- is INCOMPREHENSIVELY ALL-ENCOMPASSING. Every aspect of your life, every association you have, every conversation in which you engage, EVERY SINGLE THING about your life has something to do with being a Mormon. When you wake up in the morning, you're supposed to roll out of bed and onto your knees and start the day with prayer. You're supposed to read your scriptures for at least half an hour --- preferably the Book of Mormon either in the morning or evening, or really whenever you get the chance. (A friend of mine wandered into a seminary room once and saw a sign on the wall that blew him away: 'Before your homework, READ YOUR SCRIPTURES!' no joke.) After morning prayers come family prayers; some families say a family prayer before bed at night, some first thing in the morning, some both. Then there's breakfast, and you pray before eating...usually something to do with 'nourishing and strengthening' your body. (It's a Mormon prayer catch-phrase lifted from the scriptures.) If you're in a high school outside of Arizona or Utah (Mormon 'Mecca'), you have early-morning seminary, which means basically an hour-long 6 AM Bible study class. You pray your way throughout the day, smile warmly at non-members (because who knows but a simple comment from you could plant the seed of conversion in their hearts!), you chat in and off with your social network - mostly Mormon - all day long, pray silently at lunch, out loud with your family over dinner (since you're having dinner at home, like a good LDS family), and if it's Monday night, you have family night: a gospel lesson, a hymn, a couple of prayers, and an activity. Don't forget to pray before bed, too! (And be sure not to let your prayers get repetitive; God doesn't like that.) If it's a Sunday, add three hours of church, no television or music (except Mormon stuff) and a crock pot dinner.

"No, not all Mormons live like that, but it IS the gold standard...a veritable righteousness competition!"
Rebecca Samuelson, I'm (No Longer) a Mormon, p. 7-8

Note: Seminary is actually an hour-long 6 AM LDS scripture study class, five mornings a week.

We were just as busy when I was a Mormon, but there have been some changes concerning the day of some meetings.

NOTE: This thread is NOT about prayer.
So are you really saying that more prayer and more study of Jesus Christ is not good for you?

Upvote 0

Rescued One

...yet not I, but the grace of God that is with me
Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟79,668.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
So are you really saying that more prayer and more study of Jesus Christ is not good for you?

So are you really supposing such a thing or is that an underhanded attempt to have people think ill of me?

I was a Mormon for years. I know what we were supposed to teach our kids. You know that I know those things. Prayer has been important to me since I was three years old! Very, very important.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.