Jul 23, 2014
Hungary
✟19,945.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Hello!

I'm 21 years old and I started workouts maybe a week ago.

I need some advises. My BMI is normal, but I have a little extra on my stomach, so first I would like to lose some weight, and then start workouts to gain muscles.

So my question is, is these kind of workouts good to begin/lose some weight?:

I do this 6 times a week now.

johndoo

Mar 5, 2013
✟60,389.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
There isn't really anything wrong with the workout at all.
How are you feeling?
Do you enjoy it?
Continue this workout until you feel like you are up for more of a challenge.
Hopefully you would be ready for a change in 4-6 weeks
You could extend this work out by doing more jogging or body weight exercise.
I go back to some statistics that show that the average person has to exercise for 45-60 min daily to get weight loss.
If weight loss is your goal, you have to think about your diet also.
If overall fitness is your goal, soon try to start some resistance exercise also.
Best of luck. Glad that you are taking care of yourself.

Reactions: Zoleee
Upvote 0

Zoleee

So do not fear, for I am with you Isaiah 41:10
Jul 23, 2014
Hungary
✟19,945.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
There isn't really anything wrong with the workout at all.
How are you feeling?
Do you enjoy it?
Continue this workout until you feel like you are up for more of a challenge.
Hopefully you would be ready for a change in 4-6 weeks
You could extend this work out by doing more jogging or body weight exercise.
I go back to some statistics that show that the average person has to exercise for 45-60 min daily to get weight loss.
If weight loss is your goal, you have to think about your diet also.
If overall fitness is your goal, soon try to start some resistance exercise also.
Best of luck. Glad that you are taking care of yourself.

Thank you for your reply.
I enjoy it, I feel good after doing it.
I'll do this for 4-6 weeks as you advised, and then I'll try something harder. :)

Upvote 0

bhsmte

Apr 26, 2013
✟247,431.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Hello!

I'm 21 years old and I started workouts maybe a week ago.

I need some advises. My BMI is normal, but I have a little extra on my stomach, so first I would like to lose some weight, and then start workouts to gain muscles.

So my question is, is these kind of workouts good to begin/lose some weight?:

I do this 6 times a week now.

Really, any type of increased calorie expenditure can help you lose fat, but it also depends on how many calories you are consuming and what you are eating.

The key is to start slow if you are new and gradually build up over time.

Upvote 0

dhornace

Sep 2, 2015
Montana
✟8,546.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Looking to lose fat is more so diet than it is exercise. Although there is never anything wrong with working out! :) Keeping a clean eating regiment will be extremely beneficial to fat loss and maintaining muscle mass. Also, it's just a good way to live :)

Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Looking to lose fat is more so diet than it is exercise. Although there is never anything wrong with working out! :) Keeping a clean eating regiment will be extremely beneficial to fat loss and maintaining muscle mass. Also, it's just a good way to live :)
I've had health problems and yes, it's good to keep a balance of healthy eating and exercise.

Upvote 0

bhsmte

Apr 26, 2013
✟247,431.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

I disagree, because it depends on the circumstances of each individual.

Let's say we have two people, of the same age, same gender, same basic body type, both are sedentary, both eat basically the same diet and both want to lose 20 pounds of fat.

Person A decides, to cut their caloric intake, eat more healthy and not exercise and after a few months, they have lost 20 pounds.

Person B, decides to eat the same basic diet they have, but start an exercise regime, that increases their daily caloric expenditure and after 3 months, they have lost 20 pounds.

Person A lost the weight, 100% based on diet and person B lost their weight, 100% dependent on starting an exercise regime. Furthermore, the person who started to exercise, has benefited from the physiological advantages that occur in the body from being physically fit; increased insulin sensitivity, increased ability to use fat as fuel, increased ability to store carbohydrates as glycogen instead of fat and more active muscle tissue, which increases metabolism.

Upvote 0

dhornace

Sep 2, 2015
Montana
✟8,546.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I disagree, because it depends on the circumstances of each individual.

Let's say we have two people, of the same age, same gender, same basic body type, both are sedentary, both eat basically the same diet and both want to lose 20 pounds of fat.

Person A decides, to cut their caloric intake, eat more healthy and not exercise and after a few months, they have lost 20 pounds.

Person B, decides to eat the same basic diet they have, but start an exercise regime, that increases their daily caloric expenditure and after 3 months, they have lost 20 pounds.

Person A lost the weight, 100% based on diet and person B lost their weight, 100% dependent on starting an exercise regime. Furthermore, the person who started to exercise, has benefited from the physiological advantages that occur in the body from being physically fit; increased insulin sensitivity, increased ability to use fat as fuel, increased ability to store carbohydrates as glycogen instead of fat and more active muscle tissue, which increases metabolism.

I agree with you for the most part. The things I disagree with are more based on my personal experiences and what I use for my personal training clients.

I find that caloric restriction isn't a sustainable way to lose body fat especially while continuing a sedentary lifestyle due to the fact that you are also risking muscle loss. Something that should always be avoided. Also, it will take longer than a few months for that 20 pounds to be lost just off of diet alone, depending on beginning bodyfat percentage. Calorie restrictive diets are shown to cause the person to bounce back to their beginning weight within a few months due to the fact that you can't be in a caloric deficit and maintain that lifestyle. Doing so will actually cause your body to not be getting the nutrients it needs and can cause health problems in long term situations (I have 2 clients currently under metabolic damage treatments from being on restrictive diets for longer than 6 months, causing hair loss and mineral deficiencies.).

Person B using the same diet and starting an exercise routine will more than likely see some type of fat loss. But it is doubtful (depending on the methods of training) that they will ever lose enough body fat to give them the physique they are looking for. Or even to lose 20 pounds at that. Speculating that the diet is like the average American, I would think it is safe to say that they would lose a few pounds and plateau quickly due to the fact that the exercise isn't going to burn enough calories while maintaining the same diet to keep burning fat. You can't out train a bad diet.

Diet is the foundation in which our bodies are built on. We really are what we eat in the most literal way. If person B does in fact lose the weight, which is fully possible, they are still building their bodies using foods that aren't going to allow it to function to its full efficiency.

Upvote 0

dhornace

Sep 2, 2015
Montana
✟8,546.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I've had health problems and yes, it's good to keep a balance of healthy eating and exercise.
The beauty of keeping a balance is that you can still get the fun food in, in moderation as well. Eating a clean diet and then being able to have some treats is always so very rewarding for me.
Hope your health problems are all sorted out! :)

Reactions: faroukfarouk
Upvote 0

bhsmte

Apr 26, 2013
✟247,431.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I agree with you for the most part. The things I disagree with are more based on my personal experiences and what I use for my personal training clients.

I find that caloric restriction isn't a sustainable way to lose body fat especially while continuing a sedentary lifestyle due to the fact that you are also risking muscle loss. Something that should always be avoided. Also, it will take longer than a few months for that 20 pounds to be lost just off of diet alone, depending on beginning bodyfat percentage. Calorie restrictive diets are shown to cause the person to bounce back to their beginning weight within a few months due to the fact that you can't be in a caloric deficit and maintain that lifestyle. Doing so will actually cause your body to not be getting the nutrients it needs and can cause health problems in long term situations (I have 2 clients currently under metabolic damage treatments from being on restrictive diets for longer than 6 months, causing hair loss and mineral deficiencies.).

Person B using the same diet and starting an exercise routine will more than likely see some type of fat loss. But it is doubtful (depending on the methods of training) that they will ever lose enough body fat to give them the physique they are looking for. Or even to lose 20 pounds at that. Speculating that the diet is like the average American, I would think it is safe to say that they would lose a few pounds and plateau quickly due to the fact that the exercise isn't going to burn enough calories while maintaining the same diet to keep burning fat. You can't out train a bad diet.

Diet is the foundation in which our bodies are built on. We really are what we eat in the most literal way. If person B does in fact lose the weight, which is fully possible, they are still building their bodies using foods that aren't going to allow it to function to its full efficiency.

I would agree, in most cases, pure fat loss takes time and a long time, as it is physiologically impossible, to loss fat quickly. Tapping the energy in one pound of fat equals 3500 calories, which equates to walking 30-35 miles for your average person. Any weight loss, of more than a pound or two a week, is going to involve water weight and since the majority of our body weight is in fluid, it is quite easy to lose weight quickly, it just won't include losing much fat.

I gave the examples I did for a reason, because how someone loses fat, depends on their lifestyle and the stresses they place on their body. I often hear fat loss is mostly diet, when it isn't true for all people. If one has a vigorous exercise regime, they will have all of the physiological benefits I mentioned in my last post and this will encourage and promote the burning of fat, regardless of the diet.

I have always said and this has rung true in my personal experience and in my studies at a graduate level in physiology; the more sedentary a person is, the more important their diet becomes, the more active a person becomes, the less important their diet becomes.

I am not saying diet does not matter in a person with a vigorous exercise regime, because it does in regards to getting enough protein to rebuild muscles and to get the fuel to perform the exercise, but it matters less so, in regards to being able to burn fat.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

dhornace

Sep 2, 2015
Montana
✟8,546.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I would agree, in most cases, pure fat loss takes time and a long time, as it is physiologically impossible, to loss fat quickly. Tapping the energy in one pound of fat equals 3500 calories, which equates to walking 30-35 miles for your average person. Any weight loss, of more than a pound or two a week, is going to involve water weight and since the majority of our body weight is in fluid, it is quite easy to lose weight quickly, it just won't include losing much fat.

I gave the examples I did for a reason, because how someone loses fat, depends on their lifestyle and the stresses they place on their body. I often hear fat loss is mostly diet, when it isn't true for all people. If one has a vigorous exercise regime, they will have all of the physiological benefits I mentioned in my last post and this will encourage and promote the burning of fat, regardless of the diet.

I have always said and this has rung true in my personal experience and in my studies at a graduate level in physiology; the more sedentary a person is, the more important their diet becomes, the more active a person becomes, the less important their diet becomes.

I am not saying diet does not matter in a person with a vigorous exercise regime, because it does in regards to getting enough protein to rebuild muscles and to get the fuel to perform the exercise, but it matters less so, in regards to being able to burn fat.
I agree with that, especially in the aspect of sedentary lifestyles. I always look at things from the idea that diet is always number one (the trainer in me :) ) so in that respect, I look at it in the light of, if you are on a vigorous training regimen that diet is just that much more important so that your body is getting the nutrients it needs to keep running efficiently and recovering utilizing the best resources. I understand what you are saying, and lets be honest, there are a lot of people out there who are training hard and not getting the results they desire based on their diets holding them back. But for an average person, you are right, they don't necessarily have to be so strict.

Upvote 0

pharmasmruti

Jul 21, 2017
Bhopal
✟7,704.00
Country
India
Faith
Hindu
Marital Status
Single
Pharmascience Health Gainer for contains calories in bulk and Weight Gain

A Health Gainer is a Pharma science - the Indian Ayurveda product. It is basically a weight work additive product which generally comes in a powder form which contains calories in bulk. It is full of proteins, fats and carbohydrates which gives your body an ultimate improvement and a muscular growth.

For more visit

Health Gainer

Upvote 0

ThatRobGuy

Part of the IT crowd
Site Supporter
Sep 4, 2005
Here
✟1,204,550.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
In terms of pure weight loss, I would recommend focusing on diet. (at least from my own experience)

As I tell people, biceps are made in the gym, abs are made in the kitchen lol.

Granted, if you really wanted to bust your hump for hours a day in the gym, diet becomes less crucial for staying lean...however, whether the goal is losing fat or building muscle, if you're like the average exerciser (I consider myself in that list) who will likely be in the gym 3-4 days a week, 60-75 mins per session, then diet will always need to be a consideration.

Upvote 0