I'm having a hard time finding the right Bible.

Fireinfolding

Dec 17, 2006
The South
✟114,061.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Does anyone know where can I find a thicker paged bible? I need to go back to paper and I want to be able to use my fluorescent markers (as I used to) but without them bleeding through the pages. Do they even make giant print (for us blind folks) on thicker paper in say a ... 'King Jimmy version'?

Not a KJV onlyist its just what I am used to.
Not too long ago I purchased a giant print bible but the pages in it are too thin for markers.

Upvote 0

PanDeVida

Feb 21, 2007
✟42,102.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Before I purchase a Bible. I'm trying to find the right one. And what does the bible of the church of nazarene like? Or do I need to find a amplified kjv?

Media,

Which Bible do you prefer there is a Bible that Has 73 Book compiled in the 3 century or a Bible that has 66 books that was stripped of its original 77 books in the 15th century.

Here is how to purchase the correct Bible find the one that has 73 books that was inspired by the Holy Spirit to the Early Church Fathers to compile. It is only common sense. If the Holy Spirit wanted 73 Books then it should be 73 books and not 66. Unless the Holy Spirit made a mistake, Never!!!

Upvote 0

Radagast

comes and goes
Supporter
Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Upvote 0

Reformed2

Supporter
May 4, 2017
Delete
✟69,056.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Does anyone know where can I find a thicker paged bible? I need to go back to paper and I want to be able to use my fluorescent markers (as I used to) but without them bleeding through the pages. Do they even make giant print (for us blind folks) on thicker paper in say a ... 'King Jimmy version'?

Not a KJV onlyist its just what I am used to.
Not too long ago I purchased a giant print bible but the pages in it are too thin for markers.
Gel Bible Highlighters, Pack of 6
These work on virtually any bible, even thin pages. Sorry if posting a link is against the rules, nof sure if it is or not.

• Useful
Reactions: Fireinfolding
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Daniel Martinovich

Friend
Supporter
Oct 7, 2011
Southwest USA
Visit site
✟487,316.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Not true.

Here is a list of NIV translators: www.bible-researcher.com/niv-translators.html
Sorry, you are not correct: This is from this website: Bible Translations: Methods of Translation

Formal equivalence
Using the method of formal equivalence, translators attempt to reproduce the original language in as close to a word-for-word manner as is possible. The positive side of this approach is that it results in a text that is more faithful to the original. It stresses the importance of the words of the Bible rather than simply the ideas,http://benhammond.org/bible-translations-methods-of-translation/#_edn1 which is important if we accept verbal inspiration. While the outcome is a text that is often more difficult to understand, the reader can be assured that, at least in most places, the reading is closely aligned with the original.

The downside of formal equivalence is that the resulting text may be more difficult for the readers to comprehend. It may include figures of speech that, directly translated, are meaningless without explanation. Another problem with attempting to adhere to strict formal equivalence is that it simply is not possible. As we have already noted, it is impossible to translate word-for-word from one language into another. Some words will have to be deleted or added to make the passage flow correctly in the target language. In the King James Version, many of these additional words are indicated by the use of italics.
Positives of formal equivalence:

• More faithful to the original
  • Recognizes verbal inspiration
  • Less dependence on the interpretation of the translator
Negatives of formal equivalence:

• More difficult to understand
  • Idioms and figures of speech may not make sense
  • More interpretation by the reader
  • Strict formal equivalence is impossible
Popular Bible versions that use formal equivalence:

• King James Version (KJV)
  • New King James Version (NKJV)
  • New American Standard Bible (NASB)
  • English Standard Version (ESV)
Dynamic equivalence
The second method of translation is dynamic equivalence (aka functional equivalence). With this method, the translator considers the meaning behind the original text and attempts to convey this meaning to the reader of the target language. The goal is to produce the same effect on the modern readers that the original readers experienced.[ii] The disadvantage of this method is that, in order to get the meaning across, the words of original Scripture must be changed much more than with formal equivalence. On the positive side, it makes for a much more readable text. With dynamic equivalence, the burden of interpretation of the original text is on the translator, while with formal equivalence, it falls upon the reader.

Positives of Dynamic Equivalence:

• Easier to understand (more readable)
  • Less interpretation by the reader
Negatives of Dynamic Equivalence:

• Less faithful to the original
  • More dependent on the interpretation of the translator
Popular Bible versions that use dynamic equivalence:

• New International Version (NIV)
  • New Living Translation (NLT)
An example of dynamic equivalence can be found in Romans 7:18. The KJV, using formal equivalence, reads, “For I know that in me (that is, in my flesh,) dwelleth no good thing…” The NIV, utilizing dynamic equivalence, records the same passage as “For I know that good itself does not dwell in me, that is, in my sinful nature.” The Greek word (sarx) translated as “flesh” and “sinful nature” in these respective versions literally means “flesh.” Here is the question: Are we sinners because we have a sinful nature that hangs with us throughout life, or do we sin because we are still living in a sinful physical body? Using dynamic equivalence, the NIV translators (whether correct or not) are able to interject their opinion into the text. The versions that translate this verse literally (KJV, NKJV, ESV) simply translate the word as “flesh” and allow the reader to make the decision.

Because of the differences between languages, it is impossible to have a completely formal or dynamic translation. Every translation falls some place on the continuum between the two. The closer a translation lies toward formal equivalence, the more difficult it will be to read, but the more faithful it will be to the original text. On the other hand, the closer it lies toward dynamic equivalence, the easier it will be to read, but more of the translators’ interpretation will be evident.

Upvote 0

Radagast

comes and goes
Supporter
Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Sorry, you are not correct

Yes, I am. This kind of argument demonstrates a misunderstanding of how translation works. Greek words do not have exact English equivalents, and Greek grammar is so different from English grammar that you can't just "translate each word."

The NIV is simply a (very good) attempt to accurately and completely translate the Greek of the NT into grammatically correct modern English. Apart from the ESV, it's probably the best translation out there.

Upvote 0

Daniel Martinovich

Friend
Supporter
Oct 7, 2011
Southwest USA
Visit site
✟487,316.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Yes, I am. This kind of argument demonstrates a misunderstanding of how translation works. Greek words do not have exact English equivalents, and Greek grammar is so different from English grammar that you can't just "translate each word."

The NIV is simply a (very good) attempt to accurately and completely translate the Greek of the NT into grammatically correct modern English. Apart from the ESV, it's probably the best translation out there.
No it is not. I have used Greek interlinears heavily for 34 years. In fact I was such a fanatic the first four years as a Christian that I carried a NT interlinear around with me as my main reading Bible to church and Bible studies. The Greek works just fine word for word but that is not really the issue. The issue is the NIV "translates" the meaning of the text for you. Not the words of the text. If that fact was not bad enough what's worse is the meanings they place on the text. Its horrendous. Most NIV readers are so use to it they think they are reading a great translation of the Greek. I have witnessed what it does to them too. It stops them could from gaining a great understating of scripture.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Radagast

comes and goes
Supporter
Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
The Greek works just fine word for word

Well, no, it doesn't.

The issue is the NIV "translates" the meaning of the text for you. Not the words of the text.

That's just not true, except in the sense that every translation does so.

Most NIV readers are so use to it they think they are reading a great translation of the Greek.

I know Greek, actually. And yes, the NIV is a great translation.

Upvote 0

Daniel Martinovich

Friend
Supporter
Oct 7, 2011
Southwest USA
Visit site
✟487,316.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

That is just an outright lie. The vast majority of Greek words do have exact english equivalents. True the grammer is not the same.
The NIV calls itself a dynamic equivilance translation which means exactly what that article describes.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Daniel Martinovich

Friend
Supporter
Oct 7, 2011
Southwest USA
Visit site
✟487,316.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Well, no, it doesn't.

That's just not true, except in the sense that every translation does so.

I know Greek, actually. And yes, the NIV is a great translation.
I'm thinking I am talking to someone who works for News Corp. It absolutely stinks as a concise translation and it shows in the lives of those who consider it such. Yes all translations have errors and bias but in some of those the errors and bias are not purposely inserted into the translations like the NIV. The whole idea of people interpreting passages for others is beyond me.

Upvote 0

Fireinfolding

Dec 17, 2006
The South
✟114,061.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
  • Friendly
Reactions: Reformed2
Upvote 0

Radagast

comes and goes
Supporter
Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
That is just an outright lie. The vast majority of Greek words do have exact english equivalents.

Well, no, actually, they don't. That's one of the reasons why even the KJV translates one Greek word by different English words, depending on context.

You can also see this by comparing the dictionary entry for a Greek word to that of a similar English word. There will be overlap, but not exact equivalence.

The NIV calls itself a dynamic equivilance translation

It does?

It absolutely stinks as a concise translation

No, it's quite good.

and it shows in the lives of those who consider it such.

And I can do without the personal abuse.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Daniel Martinovich

Friend
Supporter
Oct 7, 2011
Southwest USA
Visit site
✟487,316.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Well, no, actually, they don't. That's one of the reasons why even the KJV translates one Greek word by different English words, depending on context.
English words have a dozen different meanings depending on the context . Get real. I would suspect many languages are the same.

You can also see this by comparing the dictionary entry for a Greek word to that of a similar English word. There will be overlap, but not exact equivalence.
Unlike like English. Greek words have ten different variants for each word. There can only be two reasons for that. Either they did not have a Daniel Webster come along and codify spelling. Or each variant adds a slightly different flavor to the meaning of the word making Greek a much more concise language than English. So if this were true English would give ten meanings to the same word and make the meaning total dependent on the context. The Greek would have a variant of the word for each meaning. You say you read Greek. You tell me.

The ones I have read say that is the method right up front on it sales pitch describing itself.

No, it's quite good.
Which is why I tell everyone. DO NOT in this day of fingertip access to language helps leave the translation of the Bible completely in the hands of others.

And I can do without the personal abuse.
Truth is only abusive when one has some personal interest it interferes with. I could not for the life of me figure out why someone would claim the NIV is not a "dynamic equivalence" translation when it itself says it is. Sounds to me like you have something invested in it. There are many ways a person can invest in something. I'm not just meaning monetarily.

Upvote 0

dreadnought

Lip service isn't really service.
Supporter
Aug 4, 2012
Reno, Nevada
✟313,356.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate
Before I purchase a Bible. I'm trying to find the right one. And what does the bible of the church of nazarene like? Or do I need to find a amplified kjv?
I've just stuck with the Bible my church gave me when I joined as a kid - the Revised Standard Version. I doubt that it's perfect, but then I doubt that there is a perfect Bible.

Upvote 0