I'm having a hard time finding the right Bible.

Korean-American Christian

raised Presbyterian. member of the Nazarene Church
Feb 21, 2017
USA
✟17,856.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Green
Before I purchase a Bible. I'm trying to find the right one. And what does the bible of the church of nazarene like? Or do I need to find a amplified kjv?

The Church of the Nazarene prefers the NIV.

I would recommend an NIV study Bible with commentaries.

My local Nazarene church loves NIV study Bibles that have commentaries
Jesus-Loves-You-Wallpaper-01.jpg

Upvote 0

Winken

Heimat
Site Supporter
Sep 24, 2010
✟168,847.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0

Mediakira

Jun 6, 2011
Eaton, Ohio
✟34,039.00
Country
United States
Faith
Nazarene
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Libertarian
The Church of the Nazarene prefers the NIV.

I would recommend an NIV study Bible with commentaries.

My local Nazarene church loves NIV study Bibles that have commentaries
View attachment 202472

Thanks I'll check it out. I'll buy one from amazon sometime. I really need a bible. the ones i have are not making any since. lol

One bible has a typo. Noe means Noah and Mosh means Moses I think.

• Prayers
Reactions: Gabriel Anton
Upvote 0

Feb 21, 2017
USA
✟17,856.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Green
Thanks I'll check it out. I'll buy one from amazon sometime. I really need a bible. the ones i have are not making any since. lol

One bible has a typo. Noe means Noah and Mosh means Moses I think.

Publishers and bookstores really shouldn't sell Bibles that have typos in them

• Prayers
Upvote 0

Bluerose31

Christian Flower
Site Supporter
Mar 27, 2017
US
✟419,338.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Before I purchase a Bible. I'm trying to find the right one. And what does the bible of the church of nazarene like? Or do I need to find a amplified kjv?
I want to buy a new Bible too.

• Prayers
Upvote 0

rockytopva

Love to pray! :)
Site Supporter
Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
✟1,063,347.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Upvote 0

GandalfTheWise

In search of lost causes and hopeless battles
May 27, 2012
Wisconsin
✟71,403.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I've read the bible through in several different versions. The NIV study bible is a decent one for a first bible. I think the one my wife had for awhile was the version published by Zondervan. I found the notes and explanations of things to be reasonable.

I agree with @rockytopva that biblegateway.com is a great resource.

One thing I'd note is that different versions do translate names differently. I wouldn't consider those to be typos. Remember that the new testament was written in Greek and most of the old testament in Hebrew which use different alphabets and sounds from English. Some translations keep the traditional spelling of names (whether or not they are phonetically true to the original languages) and some versions try to use a better transliteration scheme so that the English version sounds closer to the name in its original language.

• Prayers
Upvote 0

pescador

Wise old man
Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2011
✟498,844.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Upvote 0

Feb 21, 2017
USA
✟17,856.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Green
If a bible's copyright (or any copyright) has been violated this is often an easy way to tell.

Thank you for teaching me something new.

May our Lord Jesus Christ be with you always
f15f7b2f2bb23522ac53b34905a9642b.jpg

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Ronald

Exhortations
Site Supporter
Jul 30, 2004
southern
✟111,578.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
It is good to reference several Bible versions: NAS, NKJ, NIV, KJV, and even the YLT. There are probably twenty popular versions, most all saying the same thing. Every Christian should own several to really study the word. One verse may be exactly the same in all versions, another slightly different.
Romans 8:28 is popular. KJV says, "And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to his purpose."
NKJ says, "And we know that all things work together for good to those who love God, to those who are the called according to His purpose." Pretty much the same as KJ. I do use NKJ a lot, it removes all the Old English, makes it modern.
NIV says, "And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose." Now this verse is a little different, it gives God the credit. "All things" don't work together by themselves, but God is behind it doing the work.
NASB says, "And we know that God causes all things to work together for good to those who love God, to those who are called according to His purpose." I think this nails it.
I use them all.

Upvote 0

pescador

Wise old man
Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2011
✟498,844.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Buy King James Version , if you can read english without problem then buy King James 1611

Shouldn't that read "Buy the King James version. If you can read English without a problem, then buy the King James Version, published in 1611"?

The King James Version is difficult to read and understand, even for those who have a good command of the English language. For example, what does this mean, "But when thou art bidden, go and sit down in the lowest room; that when he that bade thee cometh, he may say unto thee, Friend, go up higher: then shalt thou have worship in the presence of them that sit at meat with thee."

Additionally, breaking the biblical "books" into chapters and verses distorts the structure and meaning.

In other words, the King James Version is the worst translation for reading and understanding God's word as it was originally written by the ancient authors. It sounds "religious" and the language is beautiful, but almost every other modern translation is far better.

• Agree
Reactions: Reformed2
Upvote 0

amariselle

Jesus Never Fails
Sep 28, 2004
The Great Northern Wilderness
✟60,500.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
It is good to reference several Bible versions: NAS, NKJ, NIV, KJV, and even the YLT. There are probably twenty popular versions, most all saying the same thing. Every Christian should own several to really study the word. One verse may be exactly the same in all versions, another slightly different.
Romans 8:28 is popular. KJV says, "And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to his purpose."
NKJ says, "And we know that all things work together for good to those who love God, to those who are the called according to His purpose." Pretty much the same as KJ. I do use NKJ a lot, it removes all the Old English, makes it modern.
NIV says, "And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose." Now this verse is a little different, it gives God the credit. "All things" don't work together by themselves, but God is behind it doing the work.
NASB says, "And we know that God causes all things to work together for good to those who love God, to those who are called according to His purpose." I think this nails it.
I use them all.

I agree. I appreciate looking at several different versions as well.

Upvote 0

Daniel Martinovich

Friend
Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2011
Southwest USA
Visit site
✟487,316.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

Since most everyone here are saying buy an NIV. I am saying DO NOT BUY AN NIV!!!! Or any other of the eclectic Bibles. They are not translations but interpretations. That what that stupid word eclectic means. They are "building the meaning of the text" into the translation. All that stuff you read in the beginning of an NIV about "a careful translations according to the most stringent scholarship" (or whatever it claims ) is called marketing. You don't know those people who are interpreting for you. You don't even know if they are real Christians. News Corp. (Robert Murdoch owner of fox news.) owns Zondervan for gosh sakes.

It is not that all translations don't have mistakes and bias. Interpretation is the Holy Spirit and your own job not someone else's though. There are four or five translations on the market that focus on just translating them. I don't know which ones they are though other that KJV NKJV. On line I use the American King James Bible which is a non copyrighted Bible. Like I said I don't remember the names of the other two or three. Just stay away from the NIV or the Message or any of those types of things. They will dull your spiritual senses.

If you have time. Have a look at this article I wrote about the most dangerous mistranslated Bible verse in the Bible. It will give you a sense of the type of thing your dealing with.
The Bibles Most Dangerous Translational Error

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

1watchman

Overseer
Site Supporter
Oct 9, 2010
Washington State
✟358,358.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I like the KJV... Before making a decision I would visit....

BibleGateway.com: A searchable online Bible in over 150 versions and 50 languages.

And browse through the many versions they have there. Once you have found one that you are comfortable reading, then I would order one. I would not order a bible without knowing whether or not I would be comfortable reading it.

The KJV Open Bible... I own two!
IMG_6079.jpg

I like the KJV... Before making a decision I would visit....

BibleGateway.com: A searchable online Bible in over 150 versions and 50 languages.

And browse through the many versions they have there. Once you have found one that you are comfortable reading, then I would order one. I would not order a bible without knowing whether or not I would be comfortable reading it.

The KJV Open Bible... I own two!
IMG_6079.jpg

Yes, I find the venerable KJV to be very sound, and studied by scholars over 300-400 years. There are errors in every work of man, but those found in the King James are few, and good study Bibles like the Scofield Reference Bible of KJV, has corrections and good commentaries throughout to help see the intent, and without changing the text. There is a danger in new attempts to modernize wording by deleting or minimizing what God has intended. I have a helpful paper on what notable Bible teachers have said about the value of the KJV, if one is interested.

Last edited:
Reactions: rockytopva
Upvote 0

pescador

Wise old man
Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2011
✟498,844.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Since most everyone here are saying buy an NIV. I am saying DO NOT BUY AN NIV!!!! Or any other of the eclectic Bibles. They are not translations but interpretations. That what that stupid word eclectic means. They are "building the meaning of the text" into the translation. All that stuff you read in the beginning of an NIV about "a careful translations according to the most stringent scholarship" (or whatever it claims ) is called marketing. You don't know those people who are interpreting for you. You don't even know if they are real Christians. News Corp. (Robert Murdoch owner of fox news.) owns Zondervan for gosh sakes.

It is not that all translations don't have mistakes and bias. Interpretation is the Holy Spirit and your own job not someone else's though. There are four or five translations on the market that focus on just translating them. I don't know which ones they are though other that KJV NKJV. On line I use the American King James Bible which is a non copyrighted Bible. Like I said I don't remember the names of the other two or three. Just stay away from the NIV or the Message or any of those types of things. They will dull your spiritual senses.

If you have time. Have a look at this article I wrote about the most dangerous mistranslated Bible verse in the Bible. It will give you a sense of the type of thing your dealing with.

Mediakira, you can take this post for what it's worth. The information is obviously ridiculous since the NIV (which is nothing at all like the Message) is the world's most popular bible. There are others out there -- I prefer the NET Bible or the New Revised Standard Bible (NRSV) -- that are readable and understandable, carefully translated by teams of great scholars. The Christian Standard Bible has just been released and it too is excellent. I would suggest reading parts of them online at biblegateway.com and see which one(s) resonate with you.

I would disregard posts that seem strident, pushing a single translation because they know the "secrets" behind other translations that have duped millions of people, except the author.

Upvote 0

pescador

Wise old man
Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2011
✟498,844.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Yes, I find the venerable KJV to be very sound, and studied by scholars over 300-400 years. There are errors in every work of man, but those found in the King James are few, and good study Bibles like the Scofield Reference Bible of KJV, has corrections and good commentaries throughout to help see the intent, and without changing the text. There is a danger in new attempts to modernize wording by deleting or minimizing what God has intended. I have a helpful paper on what notable Bible teachers have said about the value of the KJV, if one is interested.

Another person saying "There is a danger in new attempts to modernize wording by deleting or minimizing what God has intended." Read the post above. No team of translators has ever modernized wording by deleting or minimizing what God has intended. That is foolish and irresponsible.

Here is a sample of the "easily readable" King James English...

But when thou art bidden, go and sit down in the lowest room; that when
he that bade thee cometh, he may say unto thee, Friend, go up higher:
then shalt thou have worship in the presence of them that sit at meat
with thee. (Luke 14:10)

Here is is in the NET...

"But when you are invited, go and take the least important place, so that when your host approaches he will say to you, ‘Friend, move up here to a better place.’ Then you will be honored in the presence of all who share the meal with you.

and the NIV...

But when you are invited, take the lowest place, so that when your host comes, he will say to you, ‘Friend, move up to a better place.’ Then you will be honored in the presence of all the other guests.

and the NRSV...

But when you are invited, go and sit down at the lowest place, so that when your host comes, he may say to you, ‘Friend, move up higher’; then you will be honored in the presence of all who sit at the table with you.

and the Christian Standard Bible...

But when you are invited, go and recline in the lowest place, so that when the one who invited you comes, he will say to you, ‘Friend, move up higher.’ You will then be honored in the presence of all the other guests.

The goal of the Bible is to make God's word understandable to the readers, not to exalt difficult-to-read archaic language. It's not an idol, it's a book.

Upvote 0

pescador

Wise old man
Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2011
✟498,844.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat

If you want to read semi-literate nonsense, read the article this link points to. Notice even in the link above that there is a grammatical mistake: Bibles instead of Bible's. The same error appears in the banner of the article itself.

Here is "the most dangerous verse in the Bible"...

"hand this man over to Satan for the destruction of the flesh, so that his spirit may be saved in the day of the Lord."

Why is it so dangerous? The "explanation" is in the article: "The reason the author is sighting this is the most dangerous translational error in the Bible is because it makes this the only verse in the New Testament that directly states that a beleiver can walk in blatant sexual immorality but still go to heaven." (Notice the spelling error: "beleiver" instead of "believer". The use of "is" instead of "as". And what is a "translational" error?) According to the author, a single word in a single verse that is a part of a single sentence that modern translators have chosen to use has created such a serious error that the doctrine derived from it has allowed the worst of sinners to go to heaven.

Here is the author's conclusion from the "addition" of one word, "Who can possible argue that there are not millions upon tens of millions of people who sit in churches all over the world thinking themselves safe but are in fact on the wide road that is leading to their destruction?" (Notice the use of "possible" instead of "possibly".)

My advice is to take articles like this that reveal God's truth from a single word in a single out-of-context verse for what they're worth. Nothing.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Daniel Martinovich

Friend
Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2011
Southwest USA
Visit site
✟487,316.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Mediakira, you can take this post for what it's worth. The information is obviously ridiculous since the NIV (which is nothing at all like the Message) is the world's most popular bible. There are others out there -- I prefer the NET Bible or the New Revised Standard Bible (NRSV) -- that are readable and understandable, carefully translated by teams of great scholars. The Christian Standard Bible has just been released and it too is excellent. I would suggest reading parts of them online at biblegateway.com and see which one(s) resonate with you.

I would disregard posts that seem strident, pushing a single translation because they know the "secrets" behind other translations that have duped millions of people, except the author.
Seems you mixing what I said up with others. I just said stay away from the eclectic Bibles like the NIV. The only reason I mentioned the KJV line of Bibles exclusively is I don't remember which of the other readily available ones focus on translation rather that interpirtation. There are more than four or five that do that. Not readily available though.
What does popularity have to do with the accuracy of a translation?

Upvote 0