Midwest
✟80,125.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
It feels like Christians aren't taking the Bible seriously. Sermons just don't teach much and when I ask questions I get vague answers. Why? It's as if church is just a club.

Handmaid for Jesus

You can't steal my joy
Site Supporter
Dec 19, 2010
enroute
✟1,404,724.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
IMHO a lot of people go to church and say they are Christian but they are not born again. Jesus taught Nicodemus saying you must be born again. I asked a fellow once if he had been born again and he answered (very emphatically) I've been confirmed! He had no idea what I was asking him. John 3 . Jesus taught the parable of the wheat and the tares in Matthew 13:24 and following. Some folks are wheat, and some are tares.

Upvote 0

Blade

Veteran
Site Supporter
Dec 29, 2002
USA
✟630,797.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It feels like Christians aren't taking the Bible seriously. Sermons just don't teach much and when I ask questions I get vague answers. Why? It's as if church is just a club.
Well can't answer that there are where I live over 400 Churches and over 30 million in the world so I don't see Church as a club. Maybe some are so maybe we should be praying for them :) just a thougth

• Agree
Reactions: Lost Witness
Upvote 0

Rescued One

...yet not I, but the grace of God that is with me
Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟80,125.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Well can't answer that there are where I live over 400 Churches and over 30 million in the world so I don't see Church as a club. Maybe some are so maybe we should be praying for them :) just a thougth
Pray for how many denominations and how many local churches and how many pastors?

Upvote 0

godisagardener

Romans 10:6-9, Ephesians 2:8-10
Jul 7, 2022
Texas
✟62,841.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Many preachers don't want to step on toes, so they water down their sermons and don't bring up topics that might chase people away. There are those that stick to Bible teaching, and there are those who talk more about themselves than about God. Just depends on what church you happen to go to and who happens to be preaching.

I don't know that church has become a club, but I've known many who attended church for reasons other than worship.

Upvote 0

Rescued One

Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟80,125.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Well, all of them. Pray for churches and church leaders all over the world. :)
I do pray for our world, but I don't have transportation except for groceries and medical. When I've been able to get a ride I don't have a choice of churches. And going to church for entertainment isn't my thing. Maybe there's something wrong with me.

Upvote 0

Handmaid for Jesus

You can't steal my joy
Site Supporter
Dec 19, 2010
enroute
✟1,404,724.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I do pray for our world, but I don't have transportation except for groceries and medical. When I've been able to get a ride I don't have a choice of churches. And going to church for entertainment isn't my thing. Maybe there's something wrong with me.
My favorite verse in the New Testament is Romans 12:2 .I needed to humbly rethink church.Why go to church? I had to examine my motive for attending.We go to worship God in Spirit and in Truth. It does not matter why others go.

Upvote 0

godisagardener

Romans 10:6-9, Ephesians 2:8-10
Jul 7, 2022
Texas
✟62,841.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
There's nothing wrong with you! I'm my Mom's transportation. I've taken her to church since before my Dad passed away. Entertainment isn't her thing either and it has always been very difficult to find a church without that as a constant. People I've talked to say you just have to accept the entertainment many seem to thrive on, but no, you don't. For us, church is about studying the Word and having a good Sunday School class that isn't treated as a social gathering. My husband stays home and watches several services on TV. He's disillusioned with a lot of what goes on with churches.

• Love
Reactions: Rescued One
Upvote 0

Rescued One

Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟80,125.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
There's nothing wrong with you! I'm my Mom's transportation. I've taken her to church since before my Dad passed away. Entertainment isn't her thing either and it has always been very difficult to find a church without that as a constant. People I've talked to say you just have to accept the entertainment many seem to thrive on, but no, you don't. For us, church is about studying the Word and having a good Sunday School class that isn't treated as a social gathering. My husband stays home and watches several services on TV. He's disillusioned with a lot of what goes on with churches.
Thank you. I'm not without faith.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

rebornfree

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
May 5, 2007
NW England
✟793,557.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Divorced
I don't think I've really come across that, not in evangelical churches anyway. I think scripture should be preached, but we should read it in context and compare scripture with scripture.

Upvote 0

rebornfree

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
May 5, 2007
NW England
✟793,557.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Divorced
IMHO a lot of people go to church and say they are Christian but they are not born again. Jesus taught Nicodemus saying you must be born again. I asked a fellow once if he had been born again and he answered (very emphatically) I've been confirmed! He had no idea what I was asking him. John 3 . Jesus taught the parable of the wheat and the tares in Matthew 13:24 and following. Some folks are wheat, and some are tares.
Yes, it's essential to be born again. I was thinking of starting a thread on John 3, because there may be people on CF, or looking at our threads, who are not. The parable of the wheat and tares is so sad. I hate the thought of anyone being lost for eternity.

If anyone reading this does not know whether or not they are born again, then believe that the Lord Jesus Christ died for your sins, be willing to turn away from them, ask God to forgive you and accept the Lord's death in your place. This is different to trying to make your way to Heaven by your own efforts. Having said that we should do the things the Lord commands us to do, but we're doing that as a result of being saved not in order to save ourselves. We would never be good enough for that.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Unqualified

243 God loves me
Site Supporter
Aug 17, 2020
West of Mississippi
✟417,666.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Interesting reading what you have to say. I know it’s true. Worship in heaven will be something. Not just a few carrying it. Totally free to worship God in oneness. With no flesh to get tired or distracted. I seldom get to worship. I’m an usher counting the money at that time. We have a good team but I don’t know how I’d keep focused if I worshipped every service.

Reactions: rebornfree
Upvote 0

Rescued One

Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟80,125.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Yes, it's essential to be born again. I was thinking of starting a thread on John 3, because there may be people on CF, or looking at our threads, who are not. The parable of the wheat and tares is so sad. I hate the thought of anyone being lost for eternity.

Our sovereign God is in control. He arranges each person's salvation.

1 Corinthians 3
6 I have planted, Apollos watered; but God gave the increase. 7 So then neither is he that planteth any thing, neither he that watereth; but God that giveth the increase.

God gives faith to those He intends to save.

Upvote 0

Rescued One

Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟80,125.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
I don't think I've really come across that, not in evangelical churches anyway. I think scripture should be preached, but we should read it in context and compare scripture with scripture.

I've spent most of my time in churches which are considered evangelical. But sermons are usually watered down.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Handmaid for Jesus

You can't steal my joy
Site Supporter
Dec 19, 2010
enroute
✟1,404,724.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I've spent most of my time in churches which are considered evangelical. But sermons are usually watered down.
This is true.The enemy has crept in among the wheat, including some pulpits. But Lord Jesus is coming soon.

Upvote 0

rebornfree

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
May 5, 2007
NW England
✟793,557.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Divorced
Interesting reading what you have to say. I know it’s true. Worship in heaven will be something. Not just a few carrying it. Totally free to worship God in oneness. With no flesh to get tired or distracted. I seldom get to worship. I’m an usher counting the money at that time. We have a good team but I don’t know how I’d keep focused if I worshipped every service.
What a pity you miss out on worship, but I must admit I get distracted sometimes.
Our sovereign God is in control. He arranges each person's salvation.

1 Corinthians 3
6 I have planted, Apollos watered; but God gave the increase. 7 So then neither is he that planteth any thing, neither he that watereth; but God that giveth the increase.

God gives faith to those He intends to save.
That's comforting; thank you.
I'm just wondering in what way. Are they saying that sinful things are not sin?
This is true.The enemy has crept in among the wheat, including some pulpits. But Lord Jesus is coming soon.
I think I've seen this (if only on TV) in some mainstream churches which allows too much worldly influence. I find this in the 'inclusivity' agenda here in the UK, and I suspect in all the Western world, which while making everyone feel valued as a human being (good) also accepts behaviour which is contrary to the gospel, such as gender identity issues.

Regarding the Lord coming, as wonderful as it will be, I want to see my loved ones, and indeed everyone (if only), saved first.

Upvote 0

Handmaid for Jesus

You can't steal my joy
Site Supporter
Dec 19, 2010
enroute
✟1,404,724.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I think I've seen this (if only on TV) in some mainstream churches which allows too much worldly influence. I find this in the 'inclusivity' agenda here in the UK, and I suspect in all the Western world, which while making everyone feel valued as a human being (good) also accepts behaviour which is contrary to the gospel, such as gender identity issues.

Regarding the Lord coming, as wonderful as it will be, I want to see my loved ones, and indeed everyone (if only), saved first.
I have heard it preached that we live in the lukewarm age of the Church (sadly :sigh: ). But we must continue to love the sinner but hate the sin. We must pray for our family and friends, asking our Father to save them all before Lord Jesus returns. He is able to do it for He is not willing that any should perish.
2 Peter 3:9
The Lord is not slack concerning his promise, as some men count slackness; but is longsuffering to us-ward, not willing that any should perish, but that all should come to repentance.

Take comfort in this knowledge.

Upvote 0

Rescued One

Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟80,125.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
What a pity you miss out on worship, but I must admit I get distracted sometimes.

That's comforting; thank you.

I'm just wondering in what way. Are they saying that sinful things are not sin?

I've never heard of any church doing that! It would be a cult?

That could be some UMC and Episcopal churches, but I was thinking of Nazarene, Wesleyan, Mennonite, Reformed, etc. Even TV sermons bore me for the most part.

I don't know who will or will not be saved. Several relatives have passed away and the agnostics and atheists have and more will, too. I stopped worrying about that because it's out of my control and very much in God's control. He will save Everyone He intends to save; every single person He wants to save.

Last edited:
Upvote 0