Apr 22, 2011
✟7,523.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
At Mark Driscoll, after reading this I am not happy: 20. Former Mars Hill Members Re: Abuse Suffered & Witnessed « Freedom For Captives Blog

What do you guys think, I'm quite gutted since through watching him thats how I came to learn about Calvinism and adopting its theological view point. I have to ask, is Calvinistic theology anti female? I never thought it to be but now I'm having second thoughts... :(

Not in Calvinism, but having been to Mars Hill I can tell you from experience that a view of women as subservient was rather systemic. That blog is pretty spot-on.

I remember on my last time there the congregation being told that if a man is has an affair because he isn't satisfied with the amount of sex he gets from his wife, it is her fault and her sin.

Naturally, I tuned out for the rest of the sermon and never stepped foot in there again. I went on to a healthier place.

Upvote 0
Oct 21, 2003
Central Time Zone
✟107,193.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

Yeah, I browsed the blog, it is disappointing...but then again most people are. People will always let us down, even the best of people. We should be followers of Christ, and not men (or women). I am a bit older, and can remember the Jimmy Swaggart and Jim Bakker scandals. Alot of people were effected by it, and that is one of the downsides of "megachurches".

What do you guys think, I'm quite gutted since through watching him thats how I came to learn about Calvinism and adopting its theological view point. I have to ask, is Calvinistic theology anti female? I never thought it to be but now I'm having second thoughts... :(

Mark Driscoll is a sinful Christian, like the rest of us. The difference is, he lives under the spotlight, and unfortunately, from what little I know about him, his style of messages have always been a little over the top, out of the ordinary, a bit...unorthodox?

I wouldn't throw out the baby with the bath water. Calvinist theology is far far from being anti-female. I recommend going over to the Puritanboard, there is discussion over there also about Mark Driscoll and Mars Church, and you can read comments by the Reformed women posting there.

I recommend learning from teachers like R.C. Sproul and John Piper (especially Sproul). Finally, and most importantly, we should be Calvinists because of Scripture, not because of those whom helped bring us to a Calvinist interpretation.

Upvote 0

heymikey80

Quidquid Latine dictum sit, altum viditur
Dec 18, 2005
✟34,309.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I have some thoughts.

First, it's entirely possible, and I couldn't pass comment on how far up what ideas go.

Second, there's an issue of cultural bias from people outside, they shall find people who consider themselves hurt by one doctrinal issue or another.

On the website there's described an issue of betrayal, but frankly if the teaching hasn't been hidden, I'm skeptical it could be called such.

As for spiritual abuse -- ah, that's a stretch. What qualifies as abuse -- a wrong teaching that people strongly believe in, and base their faith on? What if that strong belief is actually a liberal cultural belief -- and someone who thought differently was marginalized (maybe by calling them a spiritual abuser)? If both would be abuse, then I'd say neither would be.

I understand that peer pressure persuasion can be a tough thing for some people to deal with. But it's not abuse. It's psychological pressure, yes.

I've also some encounters with psychological abuse, too. That normally includes a group pressure that you can't really get away from, but that you didn't know existed before you committed to the group. Again, the stories don't qualify. It does concern me that in the stories there's no trapping. It's quite frank.

Again, I understand the pressures involved. There is sociological pressure here, some of which I think is unsupported by my own views. But that doesn't extend to this being cultish activity. At least not based on these reports.

Would I join this church on the assumption that the reports are factual? No.

Would I join this church on the assumption that the defense is factual? No.

Upvote 0