I'm considering attending an Angelican/Episcopal church...

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I haven't gone to church since becoming an adult and dedicating my life to the Lord. I've had issues with interacting with people and leaving my house in general. Finding a place where I will feel comfortable is important to my being able to go to church, due to my personal struggles. A liturgical church puts me more at ease than one that is not. That biblical teaching is upheld is the utmost priority, which I believe I have found.:)
I read what you say. Interesting that not all local church Bible studies are interactive.

Upvote 0

celestialpearl

Baby Anglican
Oct 3, 2017
Kentucky
✟14,488.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I read what you say. Interesting that not all local church Bible studies are interactive.

That is just one of many reasons. Another one is simply, I like the Anglican Church! I like the style of worship. Coming from Messianic Judaism has given me a foundation in liturgical style worship. For example, recited prayers, shofars, set readings etc.

I have read the 39 articles of faith and the apostles creed. I watched the Primate Foley Beach and the priest of my parish's sermons. "You will know them by their fruits" My findings are that they are in accordance with scripture. I also sought the opinions of my grandmother and cousin, both messianics and have explained my findings and have their blessing as more experienced christians.:)

My grandmother told me this wonderful analogy today describing the church (the body of christ) The more traditional churches can be thought of as the feet and legs, the foundation of the church. The charismatics can be thought of as the upper body. Everyone has it's place and a different purposes, but all are part of the same body of Christ.

Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
That is just one of many reasons. Another one is simply, I like the Anglican Church! I like the style of worship. Coming from Messianic Judaism has given me a foundation in liturgical style worship. For example, recited prayers, shofars, set readings etc.

I have read the 39 articles of faith and the apostles creed. I watched the Primate Foley Beach and the priest of my parish's sermons. "You will know them by their fruits" My findings are that they are in accordance with scripture. I also sought the opinions of my grandmother and cousin, both messianics and have explained my findings and have their blessing as more experienced christians.:)

My grandmother told me this wonderful analogy today describing the church (the body of christ) The more traditional churches can be thought of as the feet and legs, the foundation of the church. The charismatics can be thought of as the upper body. Everyone has it's place and a different purposes, but all are part of the same body of Christ.
Good to be sure also of the active spiritual life as well as the form. :)

Upvote 0

celestialpearl

Baby Anglican
Oct 3, 2017
Kentucky
✟14,488.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Saints Mary & Martha Church

In case anyone is curious, this is the church.

I know there are problems going on in Anglican community right now...I don't care.
My only concern was finding a church that uphelp biblical standards as the best I understand them. I will not judge anyone, and ask the same courtesy.:)

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
. Coming from Messianic Judaism has given me a foundation in liturgical style worship. For example, recited prayers, shofars, set readings etc.
Indeed. Having come from "free for all pentecostalsim," the liturgy took some getting used to for me when going into Messianic Judaism.

Are you Jewish?

Upvote 0

celestialpearl

Baby Anglican
Oct 3, 2017
Kentucky
✟14,488.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Indeed. Having come from "free for all pentecostalsim," the liturgy took some getting used to for me when going into Messianic Judaism.

Are you Jewish?

No, I attended a messianic congregation from the age of 13 to adulthood though. One of my oldest and dearest friend's dad is the leader of the congregation.

Upvote 0

Tigger45

Pray like your life depends on it!
Site Supporter
Aug 24, 2012
E. Eden
✟1,270,986.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
Saints Mary & Martha Church

In case anyone is curious, this is the church.

I know there are problems going on in Anglican community right now...I don't care.
My only concern was finding a church that uphelp biblical standards as the best I understand them. I will not judge anyone, and ask the same courtesy.:)
I like it. It's very traditional.

Upvote 0

celestialpearl

Baby Anglican
Oct 3, 2017
Kentucky
✟14,488.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Well, we attended our first Mass. My husband and I both really enjoyed the service! Everyone was super welcoming and went out of their way to put us at ease.:) We will definitely be going back!

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Hi, celestialpearl. I'm late in coming to this discussion, but I'm pleased to read your posts and I wish you the best at your new church. It has a very nice website, by the way. A lot of other, and bigger, parishes don't do nearly as well in that regard.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

celestialpearl

Baby Anglican
Oct 3, 2017
Kentucky
✟14,488.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Hi, celestialpearl. I'm late in coming to this discussion, but I'm pleased to read your posts and I wish you the best at your new church. It has a very nice website, by the way. A lot of other, and bigger, parishes don't do nearly as well in that regard.

Thank you.:)

Upvote 0

Jared R

Episcopalian
Aug 31, 2015
✟27,964.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Well, we attended our first Mass. My husband and I both really enjoyed the service! Everyone was super welcoming and went out of their way to put us at ease.:) We will definitely be going back!

It looks like a nice little church! I'm glad you found it and that it was a pleasant experience. :)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Mary7

Site Supporter
Oct 26, 2015
Mississippi
✟75,750.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I hope I don't get in trouble for asking this. If so then someone please private message me the answers

I was raised in the Episcopal church and now many many years later, I find that I miss it. I have been a member mostly of Baptist and Methodist churches and find the relaxed talkative churches and their style of worship are just not for me. I miss the old hymns and the familiarity of the Book of Common Prayer.
However.... I believe the Bible as the literal word of God, the Trinity etc. My problem is that I do not understand why the Episcopal church has gay priests and bishops as I find this totally against the Bible.
I have no problem with gay members in a church but not the clergy. I think I have read that Catholics do not allow this? Could someone explain this to me please? Either here or privately. Thank you very much.

Upvote 0

seeking.IAM

Episcopalian
Site Supporter
Feb 29, 2004
Indiana
✟936,913.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
...I have no problem with gay members in a church but not the clergy. I think I have read that Catholics do not allow this? Could someone explain this to me please? Either here or privately. Thank you very much.

I have never been Catholic, but my understanding is that the Catholic Church has straight and gay oriented persons in its priesthood, but in both cases they are supposed to be celibate. Someone correct this if I am wrong.

Upvote 0

Mary7

Site Supporter
Oct 26, 2015
Mississippi
✟75,750.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I have never been Catholic, but my understanding is that the Catholic Church has straight and gay oriented persons in its priesthood, but in both cases they are supposed to be celibate. Someone correct this if I am wrong.
To my understanding, gay marriages are allowed so I just assumed the clergy would have the choice to be married.

Edit: googled it and Catholic allows but they must be celebate same as all priests.
The Eastern Orthodox Church does not ordain openly LGBTQ people, nor does it ordain women. However, alternative organizations such as the Orthodox-Catholic Church of America do ordain both women and LGBTQ people.

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
To my understanding, gay marriages are allowed so I just assumed the clergy would have the choice to be married.

Edit: googled it and Catholic allows but they must be celebate same as all priests.
The Eastern Orthodox Church does not ordain openly LGBTQ people, nor does it ordain women. However, alternative organizations such as the Orthodox-Catholic Church of America do ordain both women and LGBTQ people.
I don't know what the Orthodox-Catholic Church of America is, but it has nothing more to do with Orthodoxy than a Baptist or non-denominational or fill-in-the-blank does.

It is my understanding that there are more traditionally minded Anglican/Episcoplal groups out there. I thought there were posts earlier in this thread about it? I briefly attended a continuing Anglican fellowship that would seem to be what you are looking for, and I think there is another group that is more easily found?

For the record, Orthodoxy does not view same-sex attraction as any special class of sin or anything. It is simply a cross to bear, since there is no acceptable sexual outlet for such persons. Many choose to become monastics, since they cannot marry as Orthodox Christians. Persons practicing same-sex relations would absolutely not be permitted among clergy. I'm not sure whether admitting such a temptation would prevent ordination - I've never asked. And no, we don't ordain women. But we do ordain both single (celibate) and married men.

Upvote 0

seeking.IAM

Episcopalian
Site Supporter
Feb 29, 2004
Indiana
✟936,913.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Mary, The Episcopal Church has basically said, "you may." Each Bishop has authority over whether gay marriages may be performed within his or her diocese. If the Bishop permits, each priest and each church also has a choice.

You may want to inquire about your diocese or about an individual church you are interested in attending.

Upvote 0