I'm considering attending an Angelican/Episcopal church...

celestialpearl

Baby Anglican
Oct 3, 2017
Kentucky
✟14,488.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
As someone coming from Assemblies of God/Messianic Judaism background, this is quite a large step for me.

I believe the Bible to be fully authoritative and identify as non-denominational. My interest in attending such a church, is as someone who loves tradition, loves God and wishes to not neglect meeting together. I've found various resources, but most are quite vague other than short statements of faith.

I find beauty and value in some of the traditions of the Catholic church, but (while not bashing) I can't agree with such things as the papacy, veneration of Mary and saints, and more. I have no problems with traditional gestures and in fact, enjoy them as being conducive to prayer etc, as long as they are not taught as being required..

I'm very unsure here, and would appreciate any info or advice you'd like to give!
I am, of course praying about this and would greatly appreciate prayers as well.:)

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
As someone coming from Assemblies of God/Messianic Judaism background, this is quite a large step for me.

I believe the Bible to be fully authoritative and identify as non-denominational. My interest in attending such a church, is as someone who loves tradition, loves God and wishes to not neglect meeting together. I've found various resources, but most are quite vague other than short statements of faith.

I find beauty and value in some of the traditions of the Catholic church, but (while not bashing) I can't agree with such things as the papacy, veneration of Mary and saints, and more. I have no problems with traditional gestures and in fact, enjoy them as being conducive to prayer etc, as long as they are not taught as being required..

I'm very unsure here, and would appreciate any info or advice you'd like to give!
I am, of course praying about this and would greatly appreciate prayers as well.:)
Of course you must know what is important to you and whether you see it in the Scriptures.

Baptismal regeneration (infants) is often something emphasized within Anglicanism.

In theory Anglicans are Protestant; many Anglicans decline to emphasize a lot of distinction between themselves and Roman Catholicism.

But I should let others speak for themselves.

Acts 2.41-42 is a good guide. Also the practical principle of John 17.17 is always helpful.

Upvote 0

celestialpearl

Baby Anglican
Oct 3, 2017
Kentucky
✟14,488.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Of course you must know what is important to you and whether you see it in the Scriptures.

Baptismal regeneration (infants) is often something emphasized within Anglicanism.

In theory Anglicans are Protestant; many Anglicans decline to emphasize a lot of distinction between themselves and Roman Catholicism.

But I should let others speak for themselves.

Acts 2.41-42 is a good guide. Also the practical principle of John 17.17 is always helpful.

What you've mentioned is exactly the sort of thing making me so unsure. The question tumbling around my mind, is must one agree with every doctrinal emphasis to attend a church? We are all only human.. Is that reason enough to forsake going to a church which I feel would be spiritually beneficial in many other ways? (I could see my response coming off as confrontational, it's really an honest question)

Reactions: faroukfarouk
Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
What you've mentioned is exactly the sort of thing making me so unsure. The question tumbling around my mind, is must one agree with every doctrinal emphasis to attend a church? We are all only human.. Is that reason enough to forsake going to a church which I feel would be spiritually beneficial in many other ways? (I could see my response coming off as confrontational, it's really an honest question)
Well, for example, think along practical lines. The Lord Jesus said: 'Ye must be born again' (John 3). So some ppl are perfectly willing to believe that this happens when the minister sprinkles water on babies.

Upvote 0

thecolorsblend

If God is your Father, who is your Mother?
Site Supporter
Jul 1, 2013
Gotham City, New Jersey
✟308,231.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married

I think the Anglican tradition is beautiful and has much to recommend it.

Frankly, I encourage everybody to at least regularly visit Catholic, Eastern Orthodox or Anglican parishes. The people I've seen do it seem to get a lot out of it.

If nothing else, you could just visit the Anglican congregation a few times before making a final decision.

How familiar are you with liturgical worship? If it's new territory for you, I suspect you may really enjoy the Anglican liturgy.

Upvote 0

celestialpearl

Baby Anglican
Oct 3, 2017
Kentucky
✟14,488.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I think the Anglican tradition is beautiful and has much to recommend it.

Frankly, I encourage everybody to at least regularly visit Catholic, Eastern Orthodox or Anglican parishes. The people I've seen do it seem to get a lot out of it.

If nothing else, you could just visit the Anglican congregation a few times before making a final decision.

How familiar are you with liturgical worship? If it's new territory for you, I suspect you may really enjoy the Anglican liturgy.

I'm not familiar with any of the aforementioned churches worship, but the messianic congregations I've attended have their own form of liturgy with Hebrew prayers and readings. So I'm not a complete stranger to it.:)

Upvote 0

seeking.IAM

Episcopalian
Site Supporter
Feb 29, 2004
Indiana
✟936,880.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
...The question tumbling around my mind, is must one agree with every doctrinal emphasis to attend a church? We are all only human.. Is that reason enough to forsake going to a church which I feel would be spiritually beneficial in many other ways?

I have never attended a church where I agreed with everything. Should you find such a place, you should join there immediately and never go anywhere else. The odds of doing so, in my opinion, are akin to finding a unicorn, a Yeti, or the Holy Grail.

Indeed, within the The Episcopal Church you will find a wide variety of opinions on different matters. We are a "big tent" church bound by our common prayer and common worship, more so than uniformity of belief on all points. The three-legged stool of Anglicanism is scripture, tradition, and reason. Once reason is permitted, one is bound to encounter variation of thought.

The best you can do is come and see. Be advised you will find some variation from parish to parish of high church, broad church, and low church and from traditional, progressive, and Anglo-Catholic. If you have multiple choices, you can call the diocesan office to inquire about a parish that has the worship style and orientation you prefer.

My particular parish is High-Church, Anglo-Catholic. I love the liturgy and reverential nature of worship. Come and see.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Hello celestialpearl, and welcome to CF!

I found the beauty and sense of sacredness in Anglican and (surprisingly to me) one local Methodist parish to be compelling, finally showing me something I had long hungered for and been missing.

You don't have to agree with every doctrine of a denomination to visit. Whether or not you share communion there or choose to join, that would be something to consider in that case. But to visit, you need not agree at all.

As for the various Traditional churches, it's a good idea to explore what they actually believe, and why, if you reach that point of interest. Discussing it with people who don't share the beliefs is unlikely to help you truly understand. Whether or not you end up agreeing is up to you, but I have found it always beneficial to understand.

God be with you.

Upvote 0

PloverWing

Episcopalian
May 5, 2012
New Jersey
✟335,133.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Come and visit!

As seeking.I.AM said, Episcopalians are welcome to hold a variety of theological views. Some believe in biblical inerrancy; others don't. Some include Mary and the saints in their devotional live; others don't. We are bound together by our common worship, not a uniformity of theology.

You are welcome to come and experience the liturgy with us. I wish you well in your journey.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

celestialpearl

Baby Anglican
Oct 3, 2017
Kentucky
✟14,488.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Come and visit!

As seeking.I.AM said, Episcopalians are welcome to hold a variety of theological views. Some believe in biblical inerrancy; others don't. Some include Mary and the saints in their devotional live; others don't. We are bound together by our common worship, not a uniformity of theology.

You are welcome to come and experience the liturgy with us. I wish you well in your journey.

This seems to me to be in accordance with scripture by emphasizing the importance of brotherly spirit and is very encouraging. Thank you.:)

Reactions: PloverWing
Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Thank you @seeking.IAM and @~Anastasia~

It seems I've received sound and welcoming advice from you both.:)

I shall be doing a lot more research, but I believe I will visit my local Episcopal church this Sunday.
Another alternative would be for 2 or 3 people or couples meeting together for Bible study in a way that is likely to be quite like-minded; in terms of doctrine (what is believed that the Bible declares to be true), this can actually be more Biblically doctrinal than meeting with those with whom one knows from the outset that there are significant doctrinal differences. It's for Christians to work out individually.

Upvote 0

seeking.IAM

Episcopalian
Site Supporter
Feb 29, 2004
Indiana
✟936,880.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
@celestialpearl I hope you enjoy your visit. If you have other questions before or after your visit, please ask. FYI, all Baptized Christians are welcome to participate in communion in The Episcopal Church, one of the things I find endearing. Depending upon the parish, you may see different folks doing different things from genuflecting, to making the sign of the cross, bowing, etc. Please be relaxed and feel no obligation to do anything. You are our guest. About the only serious error one might make is not standing during the reading of the Gospel, assuming you are physically able.

Upvote 0

celestialpearl

Baby Anglican
Oct 3, 2017
Kentucky
✟14,488.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Another alternative would be for 2 or 3 people or couples meeting together for Bible study in a way that is likely to be quite like-minded; in terms of doctrine (what is believed that the Bible declares to be true), this can actually be more Biblically doctrinal than meeting with those with whom one knows from the outset that there are significant doctrinal differences. It's for Christians to work out individually.

That is a good alternative. However, I live in a very small town (the second smallest in the us!)with only a handful of churches and I quite literally don't know any other christians other than my family.

Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
That is a good alternative. However, I live in a very small town (the second smallest in the us!)with only a handful of churches and I quite literally don't know any other christians other than my family.
I know what you mean! It can be a matter of personal soul-searching in any case in relation to how importantly and even how sacrificially Biblical doctrine is held.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
After doing a lot of research, I thought it'd be appropriate to amend my previous statement..This Sunday, we'll be visiting an ACNA Anglican church. Again, thank you for all the words of wisdom!:)
May it be blessed and may the Lord guide you!

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Indeed. Very different.

Why the change?

Upvote 0

celestialpearl

Baby Anglican
Oct 3, 2017
Kentucky
✟14,488.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Indeed. Very different.

Why the change?
I haven't gone to church since becoming an adult and dedicating my life to the Lord. I've had issues with interacting with people and leaving my house in general. Finding a place where I will feel comfortable is important to my being able to go to church, due to my personal struggles. A liturgical church puts me more at ease than one that is not. That biblical teaching is upheld is the utmost priority, which I believe I have found.:)

Upvote 0