Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
CA-NDP
Hey everyone. I'm pretty new to this thread, so I'm sorry in advance for such a heavy question, but I think insights from other Christians might really help and somewhat calm the storm inside me.

I'm in a bit of a tough spot in my faith and I'm not really sure how to handle it. I don't have a lot of Christians in my life, so it's hard to know to to turn to in times of trial. This might be a longer post, so I'll probably post a tl;dr version at the end for those who don't want to/don't have the time to read it all.

I was born and raised Catholic, and considered myself a Catholic for most of my life. I was baptized and confirmed into the Catholic church, and went to church every Sunday. However, I never took my faith very seriously. Until a few years ago, I didn't even own a Bible, I didn't pray on a regular basis, and I basically just went through the motions of a Catholic life without really committing myself to God and entrusting my salvation to Jesus.

I've made some changes since then. About the time I started University, I began realizing the need for Christ to be an active part of my life, and to guide me. It was a turning point in my faith, and I was completely invested, as "new Christians" usually are. It would still rise and fall from time to time, but I've kept true to my beliefs and to God. I now pray on a regular basis, and am trying to keep in the habit of reading my Bible consistently.

Here's where the actual problem starts. I don't want to be a Catholic anymore. I'm still a Christian, but I consider myself more non-denominational, because I don't know which denomination will best fit what I've learned and what I beleive. Here are my main issues with the Catholic church:

1. We pray to saints. I know we're not using them as idles, but rather as mediators, but Jesus is the only mediator between Man and God. The Bible says this in 1 Timothy 2:5 " For there is one God, and there is one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus". I don't believe that there is any benefit from praying to Saints. I don't if I'd call it sacrilegious, as that's a bit far, but it feels like a wasted prayer. We're only supposed to pray to God our Father and Jesus Christ as our mediator with the Father, since they're one in the same.

2. Many Catholics believe in purgatory. We don't talk about purgatory in church very often, but apparently it's still an accepted belief in the Catholic church. The need for purgatory, or a place of repentance would make Jesus' death meaningless, because it would mean that his death did not cleanse us of our sins and make us righteous in the eyes of God.

3. The Catholic church believes that confession is necessary. If you want to confess, go for it. It's good to confess your sins, but the Catholic church seems to promote that as the only way to be forgiven. I believe we can confess to God directly and He will still hear us. Also, Catholics priests give us penance to complete, like saying 8 Hail Marys. I find that wrong because it's praying to someone other than God, but also doesn't make anyone reflect on their sins or correctional actions. If you've sinned against someone, you should make it right with that person, and if you've sinned against God, make it right with God. Something about just saying the prayer 8 times and hope that makes it all okay is misguided to me, like there doesn't have to be real repentance involved. It certainly can and should be, and I'm sure many Catholics do take a confessional practice very seriously, but going through the motions is a possibility without much reflection.

So, those are a few reasons I'm distancing myself from Catholicism. I live in a house where my religion is a bit unsupported. My father is agnostic and very cynical about the existence of God. He believes in something greater than us, but not necessarily God. My mother is a non-practicing "paper Catholic". Like me, she was born and raised Catholic, she went through the motions and she still considers herself Catholic. However, she doesn't go to church, never reads the Bible, and the title seems to be all that matters. Please be clear that I'm not trying to put down my mother, but outlining the environment in which I live. My boyfriend of a year and a half is Baptist. I've been to his church and I really like it there. It's always very lively and people are much more friendly and social than my church, where people find their usual spot sit down, and then leave when mass is over. His entire family is Baptist and it's a very supportive environment. He can talk to his parents about religion, and discuss it without starting an argument or debate, and I want that so badly, but it's something that I don't have in my home environment. Being with him and his family has really helped me grow in my faith and explore other denominations and their practices, and I've never had the opportunity to do that before.

Ever since I began practicing my faith a few years back, my Mother has been asking why I became such a "Bible Thumper". If I ever do or say something that she doesn't approve of, she'll say that I'm not a good Christian like I pretend to be. Now that I'm trying to switch denominations, she hates it. The way she sees it, if I'm born and raised Catholic, I should always be Catholic, no matter what, don't even question it. She refuses to question anything and thinks it's wrong to do so, and she doesn't want me to be anything but Catholic. She thinks that my idea on changing denominations is because I'm piggybacking off someone else's faith, but I'm actually learning and growing in my own decisions.

I still technically belong to a Catholic church, but my boyfriend and I are looking into a new church. We've visited an Anglican church, next week we're going to a Baptist church, and we're also willing to look at Lutheran churches as a possibility. We're researching these denominations together and we're trying to find a good fit for both of us.

Today I didn't go to church. My boyfriend is working so we couldn't go together, and I was physically exhausted and wanted the extra sleep before I work this afternoon. I realize that it isn't a great or valid reason for missing church, but I took time to pray to God and ask him to help me get my faith in order and guide me in my faith journey.

My Oma (grandmother) who usually goes to church with me, since my parents don't go anymore, was criticizing me after she went to church. She was calling me lazy for not going without any good reason besides wanting extra sleep, and telling me that again, I'm not a good Christian and can't "pretend" that I'm serious about my faith. I told her that I'm still reading my Bible, but she said that doesn't matter at all because I'm not receiving the Eucharist, so obviously I'm not a very good Christian.

When I do go to the Catholic church however, my mother will tell me that I'm a hypocrite because I say I'm not a Catholic but still go to a Catholic church. Because I'm baptized and confirmed as a Catholic, my Oma says that I am legally a Catholic, and unless I'm baptized into another church, I will still be a Catholic and my mother absolutely hates the idea of me getting re-baptized as anything else, even though I feel like a second baptism and a new start with Christ would be a good thing. So now I'm here. I feel guilty for missing church, but I'm still not sure if I should still go to that church.

Tl;dr I'm SO torn because I don't want to be a Catholic anymore, but I don't know which Christian denomination I want to commit to yet. I live in a home without any spiritual support, and my mother hates that I want to be any other denomination, so she puts me down based on that. I'm trying to find a new church with my boyfriend, but we haven't made any final decisions yet. I'm criticized when I go to our family (Catholic) church, I'm criticized when I don't, so I constantly feel guilty whether I go or don't go. I'm trying to figure EVERYTHING out, but I don't know what to do or how to feel and whenever I make ANY decision or have any realization, I'm met with criticism from someone in my family telling me why I'm wrong. What should I do?

Galatea

Oct 18, 2016
Alabama
✟70,081.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
You should follow what God is leading you to do. It sounds like He is leading you to leave Catholicism because you have doctrinal differences.

It sounds like your family will not really understand your choices and your reasoning. I don't think arguing with them will help.

Why do you and your boyfriend feel the need to find a new church since you like his church where he currently attends?

Upvote 0

GoldenRule636

The love of God will transform us
Mar 12, 2017
Canada
✟9,459.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
CA-NDP
Well, it's a nice church, but it's pretty far from me. I don't drive yet, or have access to a car that I could use on a regular basis, so I can't get there without him. He doesn't really have a problem with his church, but I think he also wouldn't mind finding a new church, somewhere that we choose together. He's told me before that he goes to his family church out of obligation at this point, and he's willing to try new churches so we can figure out where we feel a sense of belonging, and be re-baptized together. We're both working on finding ourselves in Christ, but the constant guilt trips and barrage of questions on my end is a bit much to deal with every day.

I really appreciate your insight on my family. You're right, they really don't understand, and I don't think they want to. My Mom just really doesn't want me to change anything, even though this change is something I feel led to by Christ. It's just that going through it is taking some time and proving to be rather difficult at times.

Reactions: Galatea
Upvote 0

Galatea

Oct 18, 2016
Alabama
✟70,081.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I would suggest not arguing with her about it, and keep looking for the church you feel like is your home church. Keep praying for her, that she will understand your position, and I think pray too for understanding. Many people raised in a religion can not understand why people want to change their church. It is something incomprehensible to them.

Upvote 0

masmpg

Nov 20, 2006
Paradise
✟25,769.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Single
Hey everyone. I'm pretty new to this thread, so I'm sorry in advance for such a heavy question, but I think insights from other Christians might really help and somewhat calm the storm inside me.

I'm in a bit of a tough spot in my faith and I'm not really sure how to handle it. I don't have a lot of Christians in my life, so it's hard to know to to turn to in times of trial. This might be a longer post, so I'll probably post a tl;dr version at the end for those who don't want to/don't have the time to read it all.

I was born and raised Catholic, and considered myself a Catholic for most of my life. I was baptized and confirmed into the Catholic church, and went to church every Sunday. However, I never took my faith very seriously. Until a few years ago, I didn't even own a Bible, I didn't pray on a regular basis, and I basically just went through the motions of a Catholic life without really committing myself to God and entrusting my salvation to Jesus.

I still technically belong to a Catholic church, but my boyfriend and I are looking into a new church. We've visited an Anglican church, next week we're going to a Baptist church, and we're also willing to look at Lutheran churches as a possibility. We're researching these denominations together and we're trying to find a good fit for both of us.

Today I didn't go to church. My boyfriend is working so we couldn't go together, and I was physically exhausted and wanted the extra sleep before I work this afternoon. I realize that it isn't a great or valid reason for missing church, but I took time to pray to God and ask him to help me get my faith in order and guide me in my faith journey.

My Oma (grandmother) who usually goes to church with me, since my parents don't go anymore, was criticizing me after she went to church. She was calling me lazy for not going without any good reason besides wanting extra sleep, and telling me that again, I'm not a good Christian and can't "pretend" that I'm serious about my faith. I told her that I'm still reading my Bible, but she said that doesn't matter at all because I'm not receiving the Eucharist, so obviously I'm not a very good Christian.

When I do go to the Catholic church however, my mother will tell me that I'm a hypocrite because I say I'm not a Catholic but still go to a Catholic church. Because I'm baptized and confirmed as a Catholic, my Oma says that I am legally a Catholic, and unless I'm baptized into another church, I will still be a Catholic and my mother absolutely hates the idea of me getting re-baptized as anything else, even though I feel like a second baptism and a new start with Christ would be a good thing. So now I'm here. I feel guilty for missing church, but I'm still not sure if I should still go to that church.

Tl;dr I'm SO torn because I don't want to be a Catholic anymore, but I don't know which Christian denomination I want to commit to yet. I live in a home without any spiritual support, and my mother hates that I want to be any other denomination, so she puts me down based on that. I'm trying to find a new church with my boyfriend, but we haven't made any final decisions yet. I'm criticized when I go to our family (Catholic) church, I'm criticized when I don't, so I constantly feel guilty whether I go or don't go. I'm trying to figure EVERYTHING out, but I don't know what to do or how to feel and whenever I make ANY decision or have any realization, I'm met with criticism from someone in my family telling me why I'm wrong. What should I do?

WOW! This sounds a lot like my own life. I was raised a catholic too. I went to RCC school, I was an alter boy etc. I love the RCC but the teachings are far from biblical. As I really started reading and studying the bible more I notice huge discrepancies in the catechism compared to the bible so I went from one denomination to the other. I tried every mainstream Protestant denomination just to run into what I called the traditional brick wall of denominational doctrine. I had one question that only one denomination was able to give me a satisfactory answer to. 1 John 3:8 "He that committeth sin is of the devil; for the devil sinneth from the beginning. For this purpose the Son of God was manifested, that he might destroy the works of the devil." Every denomination I tried gave me some sort of excuse for sinning. But that would not satisfy the conviction the Holy Spirit was putting on my heart over this verse. Every denomination I tried limits the bible to their denominational creeds and dogmas, and if you try to prove them to be in error, or if you even hint that they are in error you might as well find another denomination because they will not change even though God's word is always changing. By that I mean as time goes by we can read one verse over and over and years later get a whole different meaning from the same verse because the Lord will give us a deeper meaning of that verse when He feels we are ready to receive it. God's word is eternal and for us finite humans to presume that we can end our teachings and experience at a certain place this side of heaven is a great mistake. On our walk to heaven we are always advancing toward Jesus. I like how Paul wrote it in 2 Corinthians 3:18 "But we all, with open face beholding as in a glass the glory of the Lord, are changed into the same image from glory to glory, even as by the Spirit of the Lord." We are changed into the image of Jesus from glory to glory, every step of the way on our walk of sanctification to heaven. The MOST important principle I would like to share here with you is Sola Scriptura, which means that the bible is our ONLY guide. If anyone tells you something that does not seem right take it to the word of God and pray about it so the Comforter can reveal it to you John 14:26. John states in 1 John 2:27: "But the anointing which ye have received of him abideth in you, and ye need not that any man teach you: but as the same anointing teacheth you of all things, and is truth, and is no lie, and even as it hath taught you, ye shall abide in him." We are to let no man teach us. This does not mean we do not need to attend church, but we must be certain that everything we learn about Jesus and Christianity is in total agreement with God's holy word the KJV bible. Any church that leads to the pastor is not the church to attend. Find the church that enforces the principle Paul admonished the Bereans for when he commended them for studying out what Paul said to make certain it was the truth. Paul write to Timothy in 2Timothy:2:15: "Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth." The ONLY way to rightly divide the word of truth is by studying it to show ourselves approved of God! The ONLY denomination that does not limit God's word is the seventh day adventists. They will consider all new light brought to them. Well, at least that is how the church started out anyway. Now every denomination is in deep apostasy and we must be on our guard constantly through prayer that the Comforter will reveal all the truth we need to get us through each day.

God bless your walk with Him

Reactions: Gwen-is-new!
Upvote 0

inquiring mind

and a discerning heart
Site Supporter
Dec 31, 2016
U.S.
✟675,164.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
After I had finished reading your 3rd numbered point in the OP, I was thinking she sounds a lot like a “Baptist” to me... then of course you said you had been attending a Baptist church in the next paragraph. Galatea had great advice, “Follow what God is leading you to do.” May God bless you.

Reactions: Galatea
Upvote 0

Jim Langston

Non denominational fundamentalist
Site Supporter
Jul 9, 2005
Bellingham, WA
✟79,514.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I believe 1 Corinthians 3 covers this.

1 Corinthians 3:4 For when one says, “I follow Paul,” and another, “I follow Apollos,” are you not mere human beings? 5 What, after all, is Apollos? And what is Paul? Only servants, through whom you came to believe—as the Lord has assigned to each his task. 6 I planted the seed, Apollos watered it, but God has been making it grow. 7 So neither the one who plants nor the one who waters is anything, but only God, who makes things grow. 8 The one who plants and the one who waters have one purpose, and they will each be rewarded according to their own labor. 9 For we are co-workers in God’s service; you are God’s field, God’s building.

In place of "Paul" and "Apollos" put "Catholic" and "Baptist", what do you get? That is why I am non denominational. It is not a denomination that saves me, it is Christ.

Upvote 0

PloverWing

Episcopalian
May 5, 2012
New Jersey
✟334,955.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I think it's wonderful that you're no longer "[going] through the motions of a Catholic life without really committing myself to God and entrusting my salvation to Jesus", that you're looking to have an active and informed faith of your own. I also think it's pretty healthy that you and your boyfriend are exploring a variety of churches. It'll give you an opportunity to reflect at length on what you believe and why, and what environments best enable you to love and serve God. If you haven't already done so, I recommend reading about the different Christian traditions in addition to visiting their churches: Why do Baptists/Anglicans/Lutherans/Presbyterians/Quakers/etc believe and worship as they do?

One note: Most denominations will not re-baptize you. For the most part, all the major denominations recognize each others' baptisms as valid. There may be a ceremony by which you are officially received into the new denomination, but it normally won't be a second baptism. (An exception is the Baptists, who only recognize baptism of believers, by immersion; they wouldn't reject your baptism in the Catholic church because it was Catholic, but they wouldn't recognize it if you were baptized in infancy instead of by your own choice.)

I wish you and your boyfriend well in your spiritual journeys.

Upvote 0

Kit Sigmon

May 18, 2016
USA
✟76,189.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship

I've made some changes since then. About the time I started University, I began realizing the need for Christ to be an active part of my life, and to guide me. It was a turning point in my faith, and I was completely invested, as "new Christians" usually are. It would still rise and fall from time to time, but I've kept true to my beliefs and to God. I now pray on a regular basis, and am trying to keep in the habit of reading my Bible consistently.

Here's where the actual problem starts. I don't want to be a Catholic anymore. I'm still a Christian, but I consider myself more non-denominational, because I don't know which denomination will best fit what I've learned and what I beleive. Here are my main issues with the Catholic church:

1. We pray to saints. I know we're not using them as idles, but rather as mediators, but Jesus is the only mediator between Man and God. The Bible says this in 1 Timothy 2:5 " For there is one God, and there is one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus". I don't believe that there is any benefit from praying to Saints. I don't if I'd call it sacrilegious, as that's a bit far, but it feels like a wasted prayer. We're only supposed to pray to God our Father and Jesus Christ as our mediator with the Father, since they're one in the same.

2. Many Catholics believe in purgatory. We don't talk about purgatory in church very often, but apparently it's still an accepted belief in the Catholic church. The need for purgatory, or a place of repentance would make Jesus' death meaningless, because it would mean that his death did not cleanse us of our sins and make us righteous in the eyes of God.

3. The Catholic church believes that confession is necessary. If you want to confess, go for it. It's good to confess your sins, but the Catholic church seems to promote that as the only way to be forgiven. I believe we can confess to God directly and He will still hear us. Also, Catholics priests give us penance to complete, like saying 8 Hail Marys. I find that wrong because it's praying to someone other than God, but also doesn't make anyone reflect on their sins or correctional actions. If you've sinned against someone, you should make it right with that person, and if you've sinned against God, make it right with God. Something about just saying the prayer 8 times and hope that makes it all okay is misguided to me, like there doesn't have to be real repentance involved. It certainly can and should be, and I'm sure many Catholics do take a confessional practice very seriously, but going through the motions is a possibility without much reflection.

So, those are a few reasons I'm distancing myself from Catholicism. I live in a house where my religion is a bit unsupported. My father is agnostic and very cynical about the existence of God. He believes in something greater than us, but not necessarily God. My mother is a non-practicing "paper Catholic". Like me, she was born and raised Catholic, she went through the motions and she still considers herself Catholic. However, she doesn't go to church, never reads the Bible, and the title seems to be all that matters. Please be clear that I'm not trying to put down my mother, but outlining the environment in which I live. My boyfriend of a year and a half is Baptist. I've been to his church and I really like it there. It's always very lively and people are much more friendly and social than my church, where people find their usual spot sit down, and then leave when mass is over. His entire family is Baptist and it's a very supportive environment. He can talk to his parents about religion, and discuss it without starting an argument or debate, and I want that so badly, but it's something that I don't have in my home environment. Being with him and his family has really helped me grow in my faith and explore other denominations and their practices, and I've never had the opportunity to do that before.

Ever since I began practicing my faith a few years back, my Mother has been asking why I became such a "Bible Thumper". If I ever do or say something that she doesn't approve of, she'll say that I'm not a good Christian like I pretend to be. Now that I'm trying to switch denominations, she hates it. The way she sees it, if I'm born and raised Catholic, I should always be Catholic, no matter what, don't even question it. She refuses to question anything and thinks it's wrong to do so, and she doesn't want me to be anything but Catholic. She thinks that my idea on changing denominations is because I'm piggybacking off someone else's faith, but I'm actually learning and growing in my own decisions.
The most important stuff for us as believers should be following the Lord and upholding God's Word in our life each day.

Being a born again child of God, that's what is important...your identity is in the Lord...so abide in the Him.

You pray about finding a church, that is to say a body of believers; and they're being taught the wholeness of God's Word and doing they best to uphold God's Word.

• Agree
Reactions: GoldenRule636
Upvote 0

Braydeno

Jan 24, 2017
bc, canada
✟15,138.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

I think we all have problems with faith here and there, I know I do, best thing to do is just trust god with your life and anxieties, Keep trying till you know you trust him. this is a great place to get advice, help and such if you don't have much Christians in your life, This forum certainly helps me out. Personally I don't believe denominations matter...(sorry to anyone who does) its the same god and same son and holy spirit in my eyes, so you're not alone if you just wanna be simply Christian. I agree with what you say about purgatory, Jesus already died 'n suffered for our sins. If you don't have the same beliefs as Catholics then its probably time to switch churches. If your parents don't support your beliefs, that's just too bad for them... they shouldn't be calling you a hypocrite for going to the catholic church after guilting you for not wanting to go to a catholic church, it doesn't make sense.
side note; I'm not sure why you guys work on Sundays(if I'm reading that correctly? or do you mean resting all day for Monday) isn't it a commandment that you do not work on Sundays and dedicate the day to the lord by resting? anywho :p Don't get discouraged you seem like a good Christian to me. If your serious about your faith then you're not pretending... lol. If your not catholic then don't go to a catholic church. sorry to hear that your parents aren't supporting you, that's unfortunate.

Reactions: friend of
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

GoldenRule636

Mar 12, 2017
Canada
✟9,459.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
CA-NDP
WOW! This sounds a lot like my own life. I was raised a catholic too. I went to RCC school, I was an alter boy etc. I love the RCC but the teachings are far from biblical. As I really started reading and studying the bible more I notice huge discrepancies in the catechism compared to the bible so I went from one denomination to the other. I tried every mainstream Protestant denomination just to run into what I called the traditional brick wall of denominational doctrine. I had one question that only one denomination was able to give me a satisfactory answer to. 1 John 3:8 "He that committeth sin is of the devil; for the devil sinneth from the beginning. For this purpose the Son of God was manifested, that he might destroy the works of the devil." Every denomination I tried gave me some sort of excuse for sinning. But that would not satisfy the conviction the Holy Spirit was putting on my heart over this verse. Every denomination I tried limits the bible to their denominational creeds and dogmas, and if you try to prove them to be in error, or if you even hint that they are in error you might as well find another denomination because they will not change even though God's word is always changing. By that I mean as time goes by we can read one verse over and over and years later get a whole different meaning from the same verse because the Lord will give us a deeper meaning of that verse when He feels we are ready to receive it. God's word is eternal and for us finite humans to presume that we can end our teachings and experience at a certain place this side of heaven is a great mistake. On our walk to heaven we are always advancing toward Jesus. I like how Paul wrote it in 2 Corinthians 3:18 "But we all, with open face beholding as in a glass the glory of the Lord, are changed into the same image from glory to glory, even as by the Spirit of the Lord." We are changed into the image of Jesus from glory to glory, every step of the way on our walk of sanctification to heaven. The MOST important principle I would like to share here with you is Sola Scriptura, which means that the bible is our ONLY guide. If anyone tells you something that does not seem right take it to the word of God and pray about it so the Comforter can reveal it to you John 14:26. John states in 1 John 2:27: "But the anointing which ye have received of him abideth in you, and ye need not that any man teach you: but as the same anointing teacheth you of all things, and is truth, and is no lie, and even as it hath taught you, ye shall abide in him." We are to let no man teach us. This does not mean we do not need to attend church, but we must be certain that everything we learn about Jesus and Christianity is in total agreement with God's holy word the KJV bible. Any church that leads to the pastor is not the church to attend. Find the church that enforces the principle Paul admonished the Bereans for when he commended them for studying out what Paul said to make certain it was the truth. Paul write to Timothy in 2Timothy:2:15: "Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth." The ONLY way to rightly divide the word of truth is by studying it to show ourselves approved of God! The ONLY denomination that does not limit God's word is the seventh day adventists. They will consider all new light brought to them. Well, at least that is how the church started out anyway. Now every denomination is in deep apostasy and we must be on our guard constantly through prayer that the Comforter will reveal all the truth we need to get us through each day.

God bless your walk with Him

My boyfriend and I are both working to follow the path Christ has made for us, it's just difficult to live in a household with such toxic people. People who are supposed to love me unconditionally. I'm going to find whatever denomination I feel most comforable attending. It's not about the denomination, it's about Christ, that's where my focus needs to be.

• Agree
Reactions: sparkle123
Upvote 0

GoldenRule636

Mar 12, 2017
Canada
✟9,459.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
CA-NDP
I believe 1 Corinthians 3 covers this.

1 Corinthians 3:4 For when one says, “I follow Paul,” and another, “I follow Apollos,” are you not mere human beings? 5 What, after all, is Apollos? And what is Paul? Only servants, through whom you came to believe—as the Lord has assigned to each his task. 6 I planted the seed, Apollos watered it, but God has been making it grow. 7 So neither the one who plants nor the one who waters is anything, but only God, who makes things grow. 8 The one who plants and the one who waters have one purpose, and they will each be rewarded according to their own labor. 9 For we are co-workers in God’s service; you are God’s field, God’s building.

In place of "Paul" and "Apollos" put "Catholic" and "Baptist", what do you get? That is why I am non denominational. It is not a denomination that saves me, it is Christ.

I realize that it's not about denomination. The problem is that my mother sees each denomination as an entirely different religion. I'm constantly judged for not being Catholic, even though I'm Christians. Christ is not supposed to be divided, but many Christians try to divide him within Christianity itself. I just want to find a church that I'm comfortable with, and that doesn't support beliefs that I can't support, and that differ from scripture.

Upvote 0

GoldenRule636

Mar 12, 2017
Canada
✟9,459.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
CA-NDP
I think we all have problems with faith here and there, I know I do, best thing to do is just trust god with your life and anxieties, Keep trying till you know you trust him. this is a great place to get advice, help and such if you don't have much Christians in your life, This forum certainly helps me out. Personally I don't believe denominations matter...(sorry to anyone who does) its the same god and same son and holy spirit in my eyes, so you're not alone if you just wanna be simply Christian. I agree with what you say about purgatory, Jesus already died 'n suffered for our sins. If you don't have the same beliefs as Catholics then its probably time to switch churches. If your parents don't support your beliefs, that's just too bad for them... they shouldn't be calling you a hypocrite for going to the catholic church after guilting you for not wanting to go to a catholic church, it doesn't make sense.
side note; I'm not sure why you guys work on Sundays(if I'm reading that correctly? or do you mean resting all day for Monday) isn't it a commandment that you do not work on Sundays and dedicate the day to the lord by resting? anywho :p Don't get discouraged you seem like a good Christian to me. If your serious about your faith then you're not pretending... lol. If your not catholic then don't go to a catholic church. sorry to hear that your parents aren't supporting you, that's unfortunate.

I don't have many Christians in my life, so I'll probably come here more. My Mum likes to stir the pot sometimes. She's upset about my seperation from Catholicism, but then gets all snarky and says, "Oh, you're 'not Catholic' but you're going to a Catholic church? Well that makes you a hypocrite, doesn't it?"
I work part-time, so I do get Sunday shifts from time to time. I need the money for school.

Upvote 0

GoldenRule636

Mar 12, 2017
Canada
✟9,459.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
CA-NDP
I think it's wonderful that you're no longer "[going] through the motions of a Catholic life without really committing myself to God and entrusting my salvation to Jesus", that you're looking to have an active and informed faith of your own. I also think it's pretty healthy that you and your boyfriend are exploring a variety of churches. It'll give you an opportunity to reflect at length on what you believe and why, and what environments best enable you to love and serve God. If you haven't already done so, I recommend reading about the different Christian traditions in addition to visiting their churches: Why do Baptists/Anglicans/Lutherans/Presbyterians/Quakers/etc believe and worship as they do?

One note: Most denominations will not re-baptize you. For the most part, all the major denominations recognize each others' baptisms as valid. There may be a ceremony by which you are officially received into the new denomination, but it normally won't be a second baptism. (An exception is the Baptists, who only recognize baptism of believers, by immersion; they wouldn't reject your baptism in the Catholic church because it was Catholic, but they wouldn't recognize it if you were baptized in infancy instead of by your own choice.)

I wish you and your boyfriend well in your spiritual journeys.
I really do want to learn about other religions. I've been doing some research and I'm going to meet with people to talk to. To be honest though, I would really like to be re-baptized if possible. I want to find a new start in Christ, and it would be nice to remember and consent to my baptism, since I was baptized as an infant. My Mum won't support it, but I want to do it. I really appreciate all your encouragement. I'm in an environment where I receive very little of that, and it's really hard to cope. Thanks for your help and insight.

Upvote 0

GoldenRule636

Mar 12, 2017
Canada
✟9,459.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
CA-NDP
I would suggest not arguing with her about it, and keep looking for the church you feel like is your home church. Keep praying for her, that she will understand your position, and I think pray too for understanding. Many people raised in a religion can not understand why people want to change their church. It is something incomprehensible to them.
I do pray for my Mum. My Dad too. If they aren't going to understand, I may just have to deal with it.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Galatea

Oct 18, 2016
Alabama
✟70,081.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I do pray for my Mum. My Dad too. If they aren't going to understand, I may just have to deal with it.
Yes, they might not understand- but you have to follow your convictions. If you feel like the Catholic church is not for you, you have to go to a church where you believe the doctrine. I went to a church and had doctrinal differences. It did not help me grow in the Lord.

Upvote 0

Braydeno

Jan 24, 2017
bc, canada
✟15,138.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I don't have many Christians in my life, so I'll probably come here more. My Mum likes to stir the pot sometimes. She's upset about my seperation from Catholicism, but then gets all snarky and says, "Oh, you're 'not Catholic' but you're going to a Catholic church? Well that makes you a hypocrite, doesn't it?"
I work part-time, so I do get Sunday shifts from time to time. I need the money for school.
well if it goes against your beliefs, yes, but if your going to the church out of guilt, I'm not sure it counts as hypocrisy, I may be wrong though.

Upvote 0

masmpg

Nov 20, 2006
Paradise
✟25,769.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Single
My boyfriend and I are both working to follow the path Christ has made for us, it's just difficult to live in a household with such toxic people. People who are supposed to love me unconditionally. I'm going to find whatever denomination I feel most comforable attending. It's not about the denomination, it's about Christ, that's where my focus needs to be.

Please do not be offended over this but if you are looking for comfort that is not what a Christian should expect as we consider all those who have done God's work before us.The disciples had zero comfort as they were hunted like dogs by the authorities. If we are comfortable in a church we are in the wrong church.Let me put it in the terms Paul wrote in 1Thessalonians:5:3: "For when they shall say, Peace and safety; then sudden destruction cometh upon them, as travail upon a woman with child; and they shall not escape." I call it the lovey dovey peace and safety gospel. Our job is to do what we are told to do in
Eze:3:18: When I say unto the wicked, Thou shalt surely die; and thou givest him not warning, nor speakest to warn the wicked from his wicked way, to save his life; the same wicked man shall die in his iniquity; but his blood will I require at thine hand.
Eze:3:20: Again, When a righteous man doth turn from his righteousness, and commit iniquity, and I lay a stumblingblock before him, he shall die: because thou hast not given him warning, he shall die in his sin, and his righteousness which he hath done shall not be remembered; but his blood will I require at thine hand.
Eze:33:6: But if the watchman see the sword come, and blow not the trumpet, and the people be not warned; if the sword come, and take any person from among them, he is taken away in his iniquity; but his blood will I require at the watchman's hand.
Eze:33:8: When I say unto the wicked, O wicked man, thou shalt surely die; if thou dost not speak to warn the wicked from his way, that wicked man shall die in his iniquity; but his blood will I require at thine hand.

The Lord is coming soon to get comfortable and not warn our friends and family is tragic.

Upvote 0

Braydeno

Jan 24, 2017
bc, canada
✟15,138.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Please do not be offended over this but if you are looking for comfort that is not what a Christian should expect as we consider all those who have done God's work before us.The disciples had zero comfort as they were hunted like dogs by the authorities. If we are comfortable in a church we are in the wrong church.Let me put it in the terms Paul wrote in 1Thessalonians:5:3: "For when they shall say, Peace and safety; then sudden destruction cometh upon them, as travail upon a woman with child; and they shall not escape." I call it the lovey dovey peace and safety gospel. Our job is to do what we are told to do in
Eze:3:18: When I say unto the wicked, Thou shalt surely die; and thou givest him not warning, nor speakest to warn the wicked from his wicked way, to save his life; the same wicked man shall die in his iniquity; but his blood will I require at thine hand.
Eze:3:20: Again, When a righteous man doth turn from his righteousness, and commit iniquity, and I lay a stumblingblock before him, he shall die: because thou hast not given him warning, he shall die in his sin, and his righteousness which he hath done shall not be remembered; but his blood will I require at thine hand.
Eze:33:6: But if the watchman see the sword come, and blow not the trumpet, and the people be not warned; if the sword come, and take any person from among them, he is taken away in his iniquity; but his blood will I require at the watchman's hand.
Eze:33:8: When I say unto the wicked, O wicked man, thou shalt surely die; if thou dost not speak to warn the wicked from his way, that wicked man shall die in his iniquity; but his blood will I require at thine hand.

The Lord is coming soon to get comfortable and not warn our friends and family is tragic.
so its a bad if I'm comfortable with the church I go to? how is it a bad thing to be comfortable in gods temple? I don't get it

Upvote 0

FutureAndAHope

Just me
Site Supporter
Aug 30, 2008
Australia
Visit site
✟734,719.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

If I was you I would shop around churches and find out which one you feel comfortable at. God can show you internally which one to attend. Normally when I visit churches I can feel whether I should attend or not internally. But I often don't know until I attend the church. I either feel comfortable internally, or feel discomfort in some area. Try using your inner feelings to suss it all out.

Upvote 0