I'm confused about whether I'm a Christian now or if I'm ready to be soon.

Zobers

Dec 8, 2018
Blackpool
✟9,661.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
Engaged
Many things have happened to me in the past few months that I cannot logically explain.

3 months ago, I felt like I had to talk to someone that I know and give them a message that I didn't understand, I had to tell them a bible verse and I was a staunch atheist at the time. Despite the fact that this person was not ill, they died without warning 4 days ago. It wasn't a coincidence to me, shortly before this happened, I asked if there was a God, that I could be given a sign and guided. I did not view the death occuring as a bad sign in particular.

I feel like I have moments where I truly believe and feel guided. I spend some days with large amounts of clarity regarding the word of God or the nature of God.

But then on some days, I may spend the day steeped in doubt or I feel so abandoned by God despite nothing bad happening, that I start to question my previously held beliefs and worry that a god may not exist, that I am just being delusional. I worry that anything short of Jesus appearing in front of me may leave me with doubt.

Any ideas on what I should do?
What happened to you in order to for you to become firm in your faith?

• Prayers
Reactions: Dansiph

W2L

Jun 26, 2016
USA
✟213,573.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I have doubts sometimes but then i remember how wonderfully made creation is and i know that God made it. My doubts then disappear. No matter the doubt i know that i really want God to be true. His mercy and love are promised. Inside these things call to me and i follow.

Upvote 0

EJ M

Supporter
Apr 1, 2018
MT
✟68,790.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Many things have happened to me in the past few months that I cannot logically explain.

3 months ago, I felt like I had to talk to someone that I know and give them a message that I didn't understand, I had to tell them a bible verse and I was a staunch atheist at the time. Despite the fact that this person was not ill, they died without warning 4 days ago. It wasn't a coincidence to me, shortly before this happened, I asked if there was a God, that I could be given a sign and guided. I did not view the death occuring as a bad sign in particular.

I feel like I have moments where I truly believe and feel guided. I spend some days with large amounts of clarity regarding the word of God or the nature of God.

But then on some days, I may spend the day steeped in doubt or I feel so abandoned by God despite nothing bad happening, that I start to question my previously held beliefs and worry that a god may not exist, that I am just being delusional. I worry that anything short of Jesus appearing in front of me may leave me with doubt.

First of all, welcome!
Read the bible and pray is a standard answer, and it is a good one.
Ask God for the gift of faith.
Remember, the enemy of our soul is the author of confusion so your feelings of abandonment and questioning reality likely come from him.
Faith is a choice initially, then God give more as the believer grows in Him.
Peace be unto you.

Reactions: Mediaeval
Upvote 0

W2L

Jun 26, 2016
USA
✟213,573.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I should add.
[I spend some time researching the bible, l want to be right with Christ and I'm not even sure what that means at this moment.
The scriptures, specifically the new testament, give us a foundation and the Holy Spirit does the rest. If we love the Lord we will love His words as well, which isn't that difficult once we see how full of grace they are. Even when we are humbled by the knowledge of our own sin (our failures) we still find mercy. God gives grace to the humble.

Upvote 0

AlexDTX

Supporter
Jun 13, 2015
✟328,934.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

Trusting Christ and knowing him is an individual journey. In my case it was a dramatic change but I know of people who came to know the Lord in a gradual process.

Do you believe that God became the man Christ Jesus? This is crucial because if you believe He did not, then your trust is in your own imagination.

Do you believe that your life is not right with God and that you need his help to be right? Also crucial if you trust in your own works, then you leave no room for his grace to be given since you don't actually trust him.

Do you believe that with God anything is possible, even raising the man Christ Jesus from the dead? Also pivotal because this is the faith needed for our own resurrection. Although, everyone will be resurrected, those who rejected Christ's gift, to damnation, and those who accepted it to immortality.

If you answered yes, and have believed this in your heart, and have confessed your belief, then you are a Christian.

Doubt is the human condition. But doubt diminishes as your experience with Christ increases.

By the way, being a skeptic increases your faith. How? Because when you are convinced after skeptically examining the Lord, there is nothing left to undermine your confidence. So be encouraged. Be a skeptic and know for your self the truth.

• Friendly
Reactions: Zobers
Upvote 0

Second Coming

Dec 12, 2018
Arizona
✟10,178.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Have you seen the movie The Passion Of The Christ? If not I recommend you watch it. Then of course read your Bible and find a good church to attend. Salvation is about placing your faith in Christ and continually growing in that faith.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Kenny'sID

Supporter
Feb 28, 2016
USA
✟585,304.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

I suppose feeling abandoned is natural if you haven't taken the plunge because in a sense, you are.

What should you do?...take the plunge.

I don't always pay a lot of attention to claims God talked to me (I know you didn't say he actually spoke to you) or directly caused this or that in my life but this sounds genuine, so strike while the iron is hot, there may never be another time when you are feeling so close, or are being drawn, and maybe by divine means.

If it hasn't been asked already, mind if I ask what the message was you were to give the person that died, the message you didn't understand?

Upvote 0

Zobers

Dec 8, 2018
Blackpool
✟9,661.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
Engaged
If it hasn't been asked already, mind if I ask what the message was you were to give the person that died, the message you didn't understand?

3 months ago. I randomly felt like I had to look at the date and time. That it was significant to make a note of it, that I would tell my father in law this and he would understand what it meant. I wrote it down and went on with my day.

I looked at my phone and wrote down the day and the time.
The 3rd 16:36, I felt like it would be a bible verse.

Which I think would be John 3:16-36
"For God so loved the world that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life".

Even though it was 3 months before and he wasn't sick at this point, he died with less than a days warning. I didn't look up the verse until a few days before he died but I never had the opportunity to tell him this message. We made many plans to see each other but we kept missing each other.

Upvote 0

St. Helens

I stand with Israel
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
CF Staff Trainer
Supporter
Jul 24, 2007
Lower Slower Minnesota
✟1,216,669.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
MOD HAT ON
241656_73a4b943f6c592cdf71a88c50d5eb4d8.jpg

MOD HAT OFF

Upvote 0

Sketcher

Born Imperishable
Feb 23, 2004
✟377,931.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Given what you have told us, it doesn't sound like you're a Christian yet. It does however, sound like God is calling you.

Faith grows and solidifies over time. This happens both before and after you cross the threshold of converting. For myself and the believers I know, there came a point where we didn't know everything, but we did believe that we were sinners who needed God's forgiveness, and believed that Jesus died on the cross and subsequently rose again, and wanted that sacrificial work of his to cover over our sins, and were willing to pledge the rest of our lives to serving him. When you get to that point and essentially pray that to God and continue with Christianity, then that is when you should talk to a Christian involved in a church about being baptized. The churches I know about have pre-baptismal classes, or at least pastors who will meet with you prior to baptizing you.

Upvote 0

anna ~ grace

Supporter
May 9, 2010
✟108,146.93
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

This might sound weird, but suffering and trudging through and not getting my way in life, has hurt a lot, but has made my faith in Christ stronger. It takes time. The more we follow Christ, the more we learn, and the easier it gets. Let Him carry you. Just love Him, pray, be patient, and let Him grow you.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

aiki

Feb 16, 2007
Winnipeg
✟236,528.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married

Being a Christian, a born-again child of God, is not a matter of propositions and concepts, it's about being in relationship - fellowship, actually - with one's Creator. When one is in such a relationship, one experiences a change in one's desires, in one's values, ethics, and morality, and in one's behaviour. My daily experience of God entails being convicted by Him of my sin, being illuminated by Him in my thinking about His truth, being comforted in times of trouble, being strengthened in times of temptation, and so on. With such an experience of God, I don't go about wondering if He exists, or fearing I'm delusional any more than I would doubt my wife exists or fear that I'm delusional for thinking she does.

The answer to your problem isn't more facts about God. What you need is to know Him personally, to experience Him as He says you can. There is only one way this happens: On your knees in humble and sincere repentance from a life lived apart from Him, in humility submitting yourself entirely to His will and way, and in faith trusting in Christ as your Saviour and Lord.

John 14:6
6 Jesus said to him, "I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me.

Last edited:
  • Useful
Upvote 0

bling

Supporter
Feb 27, 2008
✟794,662.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
You ask good questions and show the right concern.

Everything that is happening to you, has happened and will happen is to help you to just humbly accept God’s pure charity, which sound easy and is easy in many ways, but people will do almost anything the keep from humbly accepting charity.

This world is really messed up, but it is not the Home God desires you to be in, but this world and your life is also the best place for you to be humbled by it and be willing to accept God’s charity.

You are struggling with what has happened and what you are going through (we all have and do), so do you want help (do you want God’s help)?

Everyone has faith (trust in something or someone), so you can direct your faith toward the Creator, but that is a humbling experience few seem to like to do, since the lowliest person on earth can have faith in a benevolent Creator.

Are you willing to give up on self and surrender to God will to accept God’s charity even though you have done nothing for God and do not deserve anything good from God?

Just being willing to accept God’s charity allows God to shower you with unbelievable wonderful gifts.

Do you want to change, because continuing on the path your will have ups and downs but in the end, it just spirals down to destruction.

• Useful
Upvote 0

1watchman

Overseer
Supporter
Oct 9, 2010
Washington State
✟358,358.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Well, we all have a conscience, and God often speaks to us in conscience, and certainly through His immutable Word ---the Bible (it seems like God did speak to you). I suggest you take time to read John 1; John 3; John 14, and see what God is saying to you. We all need God in our life ---for help, blessings, and mostly for eternal life. You need a living relationship with God, and that is through His "---beloved Son", the Lord Jesus. Making Him your best Friend and lord of your life is the key to peace and security forever; that truth and blessing which I learned over 60 years ago. We all need the Savior BEFORE we die!

Upvote 0

John 1720

Harvest Worker
Supporter
Jan 26, 2013
Massachusetts
✟149,070.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution

Hi Zobers,
It sound like the Holy Spirit has been working on your heart and that means the Father is drawing you
Jesus said:
  • John 6:44-48 No one can come to Me unless the Father who sent Me draws him; and I will raise him up at the last day. It is written in the prophets, ‘And they shall all be taught by God.’ Therefore everyone who has heard and learned from the Father comes to Me. Not that anyone has seen the Father, except He who is from God; He has seen the Father. Most assuredly, I say to you, he who believes in Me has everlasting life. I am the bread of life.
It is not uncommon to come under spiritual attack from either externally or within after coming to faith. I will pray for you and refer tou to the parable of the Sower that Jesus tuaght us.
Luke 8 - The Parable of the Sower
(Matt. 13:1–9; Mark 4:1–9 )
4 And when a great multitude had gathered, and they had come to Him from every city, He spoke by a parable: 5 “A sower went out to sow his seed. And as he sowed, some fell by the wayside; and it was trampled down, and the birds of the air devoured it. 6 Some fell on rock; and as soon as it sprang up, it withered away because it lacked moisture. 7 And some fell among thorns, and the thorns sprang up with it and choked it. 8 But others fell on good ground, sprang up, and yielded a crop a hundredfold.” When He had said these things He cried, “He who has ears to hear, let him hear!”

The Parable of the Sower Explained
(Matt. 13:18–23; Mark 4:13–20 )
11 “Now the parable is this: The seed is the word of God. 12 Those by the wayside are the ones who hear; then the devil comes and takes away the word out of their hearts, lest they should believe and be saved. 13 But the ones on the rock are those who, when they hear, receive the word with joy; and these have no root, who believe for a while and in time of temptation fall away. 14 Now the ones that fell among thorns are those who, when they have heard, go out and are choked with cares, riches, and pleasures of life, and bring no fruit to maturity. 15 But the ones that fell on the good ground are those who, having heard the word with a noble and good heart, keep it and bear fruit with patience.

May God Bless,
John 17:20

Upvote 0