I'm back

Berserk

Oct 15, 2011
✟44,678.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
I'm back after an absence of several years. I grew up in a large Pentecostal church in Canada for my first 21 years. Then after my undergraduate degree, I got my MDiv from Princeton and my doctorate at Harvard in New Testament and Judaism. I was a Teaching Fellow at Harvard in New Testament and Classics. Then I became a Theology professor for 12 years at a Catholic university. Then I became a United Methodist minister from 1994 -2015, when I retired.
I'm interested in posting anywhere here, but must confess I need clarification on some questions.
(1) My greatest interest is the biblical basis for spiritual experiences and the work of the Holy Spirit. But as an academic, my threads on the biblical grounding of this will be controversial. Given that, where should I post such threads?
(2) I tracked down "the Sign Gifts" through a mod post, but don't see it listed as a subforum in the main topic list. Where is it listed?
(3) Discussion of the sign gifts and the gifts of the Spirit in general can be controversial and thus invites debate. If I want to be polemical about Christian experiences, where might this best be posted?
(4) I will never knowingly start threads in the wrong section. Will mods relocate misplaced threads in the correct section or simply delete them?
(5) As a former evangelical professor at a Catholic university, I'm interested in the best of Catholic spirituality and experiences and in how informed Catholics ground their distinctive beliefs and practices in Scripture. Where should I post such threads?
(6) what topics would the mods rather not be brought up on this site?

Citizen of the Kingdom

Supporter
Jan 31, 2006
Vancouver
Visit site
✟304,048.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Last edited:
Reactions: Hidden In Him
Upvote 0

Carl Emerson

Dec 18, 2017
Auckland
✟376,644.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I'm back after an absence of several years. I grew up in a large Pentecostal church in Canada for my first 21 years. Then after my undergraduate degree, I got my MDiv from Princeton and my doctorate at Harvard in New Testament and Judaism. I was a Teaching Fellow at Harvard in New Testament and Classics. Then I became a Theology professor for 12 years at a Catholic university. Then I became a United Methodist minister from 1994 -2015, when I retired.
I'm interested in posting anywhere here, but must confess I need clarification on some questions.
(1) My greatest interest is the biblical basis for spiritual experiences and the work of the Holy Spirit. But as an academic, my threads on the biblical grounding of this will be controversial. Given that, where should I post such threads?
(2) I tracked down "the Sign Gifts" through a mod post, but don't see it listed as a subforum in the main topic list. Where is it listed?
(3) Discussion of the sign gifts and the gifts of the Spirit in general can be controversial and thus invites debate. If I want to be polemical about Christian experiences, where might this best be posted?
(4) I will never knowingly start threads in the wrong section. Will mods relocate misplaced threads in the correct section or simply delete them?
(5) As a former evangelical professor at a Catholic university, I'm interested in the best of Catholic spirituality and experiences and in how informed Catholics ground their distinctive beliefs and practices in Scripture. Where should I post such threads?

A big welcome back.

I would not post in the gifts section if you want robust debate on the work of the Holy Spirit. This should be common to all.

How about Deeper Fellowship ?

Upvote 0

Christoph Maria

Dust thou art, and unto dust shalt thou return...
Sep 10, 2022
Göteborg, Sweden
✟63,848.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Labour
up11_zpsb00daz00.gif

WELCOME back to
Christian Forums!

“And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might.”

Deuteronomy 6:5

“Fear thou not; for I am with thee: be not dismayed; for I am thy God: I will strengthen thee; yea, I will help thee; yea, I will uphold thee with the right hand of my righteousness.”
Isaiah 41:10

And Jesus looking upon them saith, With
men
it is impossible, but not with God:
for with God all things are possible.
Mark 10:27

The Lord is not slow to keep his promise.
He is not slow in the way some people understand it.
He is patient with you.
He doesn't want anyone to be destroyed.
Instead, he wants all people
to turn away from their sins.

2 Peter 3:9

• Friendly
Reactions: Siddhi Koli
Upvote 0

Gregory Thompson

Change is inevitable, feel free to spare some.
Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟721,286.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

Hidden In Him

Supporter
Jan 7, 2017
Lafayette, LA
✟544,986.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Greetings, Berserk.

I enjoy good scholarly discussion, and find little of more importance to the end-times than pertinent discussions surrounding the spiritual gifts, so feel free to tag me when you post threads. I'm not on all that often lately, but I'd be glad to discuss your positions with you.

Blessings in Christ Jesus, as always.
Hidden In Him

Last edited:
  • Friendly
Upvote 0

Hidden In Him

Supporter
Jan 7, 2017
Lafayette, LA
✟544,986.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
A big welcome back.

I would not post in the gifts section if you want robust debate on the work of the Holy Spirit. This should be common to all.

How about Deeper Fellowship ?

Hey Carl.

In part I agree, but the repetitive and redundant interruptions from the Cessationist crowd tend to get tiresome and a nuisance after awhile. I suggest a forum where at least a belief in the gifts is a requirement.

God bless, and hope you are well.
- H

• Friendly
Upvote 0

brinny

everlovin' shiner of light in dark places
Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,339,865.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
Well i likes yer user name, so welcome back. :D

• Friendly
Upvote 0

Maria Billingsley

Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Martinez
✟894,261.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Welcome!

Upvote 0

Carl Emerson

Dec 18, 2017
Auckland
✟376,644.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hey Carl.

In part I agree, but the repetitive and redundant interruptions from the Cessationist crowd tend to get tiresome and a nuisance after awhile. I suggest a forum where at least a belief in the gifts is a requirement.

God bless, and hope you are well.
- H

Walking in the Spirit is not about gifts and should be common for all.

The OP can Warn against raising the cessationist diatribe and report if this is ignored.

We need more dialogue about walking in the Spirit.

• Agree
Reactions: Michie
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Hidden In Him

Supporter
Jan 7, 2017
Lafayette, LA
✟544,986.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Walking in the Spirit is not about gifts and should be common for all.

The OP can Warn against raising the cessationist diatribe and report if this is ignored.

We need more dialogue about walking in the Spirit.

Judging by (2) and (3), it appears he's interested in posting more specifically about the gifts rather than general discussions on walking in the Spirit, but I suppose a warning in the OP might suffice.

I noticed we're diametrically opposed in our ministries somewhat, which may account for the difference in approaches. You're more evangelistic than I am, so I understand your viewpoint. My interest and calling is almost solely in teaching and training the body of Christ, but the OP can take things in whatever direction he wants... maybe both. :D

God bless,
- H

Upvote 0

Carl Emerson

Dec 18, 2017
Auckland
✟376,644.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Judging by (2) and (3), it appears he's interested in posting more specifically about the gifts rather than general discussions on walking in the Spirit, but I suppose a warning in the OP might suffice.

I noticed we're diametrically opposed in our ministries somewhat, which may account for the difference in approaches. You're more evangelistic than I am, so I understand your viewpoint. My interest and calling is almost solely in teaching and training the body of Christ, but the OP can take things in whatever direction he wants... maybe both. :D

God bless,
- H

Maybe I misunderstood - he seemed to indicate broader interest than just the gifts.

Upvote 0

Citizen of the Kingdom

Supporter
Jan 31, 2006
Vancouver
Visit site
✟304,048.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

God bless,
- H
Both would almost be a relief from a trained perspective when you think about it. Instead of asking about what the mods object to maybe he could become one and help navigate the way, who knows :)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Berserk

Oct 15, 2011
✟44,678.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
As a former Theology professor, intellectual and biblical debate is a way of life. But I'm more interested in stimulating creative reflection than in trying to bludgeon readers into accepting my point of view.
My interests are highly eclectic, but I'd much rather start threads on what really interests you guys rather than on my hidden theological agenda. So I'd appreciate your own lists of burning unanswered questions as possible subjects for my threads. "Walking in the Spirit" has already been suggested; so I intend to start a thread on that. Beyond this, please advise me on which, if any, of the following 14 topics you would like to see discussed:

(1) Paul's Misunderstood doctrine of the Holy Spirit and the spiritual price we pay for this misunderstanding
(2) Exactly what is the nature of the gift of prophecy? Hint: not inspired forthtelling or predicting the future
(3) How to strive for the gift of tongues and to authentically speak in tongues
(4) My paranormal charismatic experiences in my life in the Spirit
(5) The myth of cessationism
(6) Eternal security--comforting theology or false doctrine?
(7) The biblical arguments for and against universalism
(8) The biblical basis invoked for Catholic distinctives in doctrine and practice
(9) To what extent can unfair suffering and premature death (e. g. of a child) be attributed to God's will?
(10) Exactly what the Bible teaches and does not teach about its own divine inspiration
(11) How John the Seer's readers would understand the identity of "The Beast" whose number is "666."
(12) How we know that the Hebrew and Greek manuscripts used for the KJV translation are too corrupt
(13) How to connect our 4 Gospels with eyewitness testimony, given the modern scholarly consensus that none of these Gospels were written by the names first ascribed to them in the mid-2nd century
(14) How to refute the best standard argument against Jesus' bodily resurrection--i. e. the argument that, whatever Joseph of Arimathea's wishes were, the most reasonable explanation is that the Roman soldiers removed Jesus' corpse from the nearby tomb when they took down the corpses of the 2 thieves and dumped the bodies in a shared pit, as per their standard practice

Upvote 0

Hidden In Him

Supporter
Jan 7, 2017
Lafayette, LA
✟544,986.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
You're probably a little over-qualified for this place.

I find one of the biggest problem on the forums is how many there are who assume to teach the true oracles of God yet are way too under-qualified. Someone actually over-qualified amounts to a refreshing change of pace IMO, Lol.

Upvote 0

Hidden In Him

Supporter
Jan 7, 2017
Lafayette, LA
✟544,986.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
(1) Paul's Misunderstood doctrine of the Holy Spirit and the spiritual price we pay for this misunderstanding

Sounds interesting.
(2) Exactly what is the nature of the gift of prophecy? Hint: not inspired forthtelling or predicting the future

Prepare for a knock down/ drag out on this one, but I'm game Lol.
(3) How to strive for the gift of tongues and to authentically speak in tongues

Also looks potentially interesting.
(5) The myth of cessationism

Well you could post on this one all day, but that would indeed be best on an open forum where they at least have a chance to defend themselves. Count me out. Been there, bored with that.
(6) Eternal security--comforting theology or false doctrine?

Also an open forum topic, and a wee bit overdone IMO, but I might read your take on it just the same out of curiosity.
(7) The biblical arguments for and against universalism

CB has been overrun with JWs and Universalists for nearly 2 years now, so this is another ad nauseam topic for me, but it might be of more interest here.

8 - 14 all sound interesting, and 11 especially might be worth a read. Like I said, tag me. As I have time I'll give you a few responses and tell you what I think.

God bless, and always good to see you.
- H

Upvote 0

Hidden In Him

Supporter
Jan 7, 2017
Lafayette, LA
✟544,986.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
CB has been overrun with JWs and Universalists for nearly 2 years now, so this is another ad nauseam topic for me, but it might be of more interest here.

Oopsie. Got Universalism and Unitarianism confused by accident. Not sure how much Universalism is taught now days, but if you establish the danger of the teaching and how much it is growing, I might be interested in a read through.

Upvote 0