Visit site
✟18,285.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Hello all. I know it's been a while since i've posted here, but so much has happened to me lately.

I am still a catechumen, but i have not been to an Orthodox church in a very long time. I think many of you knew that my dad is an Episcopal priest. He still is, but he recently moved down to a church Mexico City. It's kind of a long story, but some parish members here were just really disrespecting him. I would go to the Episcopal church when i could to support him.

Now that he's moved i have the option to go back to the Orthodox church. I would, except my work schedule has me in at 6 am on Sunday mornings. I want to try and get that fixed.

The Orthodox Church i go to here is Russian (ROCOR). The services are mostly in Slavonic, a lot of the women cover their heads, the church has no pews, the men and women stand on separate sides, hardly anyone takes communion except for the children, and it seems that when it comes to venerating icons the parishioners so more than just kiss the icon-- they cross themselves three times (i usually do only once), bow, lean their head on the icon, etc.

sometimes i feel a little uncomfortable going there.

i have met up with a few young people, including a boy i went to middle school with and hadn't seen for about ten years. i asked him some things about head coverings and such, but he said a lot of it is because of tradition. i don't know if that means that i don't have to do the same thing everyone else does because it's not part of my tradition, but i don't want to do something if i don't know why i'm doing it. i also don't want to stick out too much. i hate drawing attention to myself.

i talked with the priest there. he told me about some other churches nearby, so i will check those out once i get a chance. he also said i probably shouldn't be chrismated until i graduate from college. that actually was my plan, but i didn't graduate when i thought i would, so now i'm stuck.

it's nice to be here and see everyone again! and i see some new people have joined. i probably won't come on very much anymore because i don't want to spend too much time on the computer, and since i haven't been going to church i don't feel like i can post very much, but i am still around.

Monica child of God 1

strives to live eschatologically
Feb 4, 2005
✟9,473.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Hello all. I know it's been a while since i've posted here, but so much has happened to me lately.

I am still a catechumen, but i have not been to an Orthodox church in a very long time. I think many of you knew that my dad is an Episcopal priest. He still is, but he recently moved down to a church Mexico City. It's kind of a long story, but some parish members here were just really disrespecting him. I would go to the Episcopal church when i could to support him.

Now that he's moved i have the option to go back to the Orthodox church. I would, except my work schedule has me in at 6 am on Sunday mornings. I want to try and get that fixed.

The Orthodox Church i go to here is Russian (ROCOR). The services are mostly in Slavonic, a lot of the women cover their heads, the church has no pews, the men and women stand on separate sides, hardly anyone takes communion except for the children, and it seems that when it comes to venerating icons the parishioners so more than just kiss the icon-- they cross themselves three times (i usually do only once), bow, lean their head on the icon, etc.

sometimes i feel a little uncomfortable going there.

i have met up with a few young people, including a boy i went to middle school with and hadn't seen for about ten years. i asked him some things about head coverings and such, but he said a lot of it is because of tradition. i don't know if that means that i don't have to do the same thing everyone else does because it's not part of my tradition, but i don't want to do something if i don't know why i'm doing it. i also don't want to stick out too much. i hate drawing attention to myself.

i talked with the priest there. he told me about some other churches nearby, so i will check those out once i get a chance. he also said i probably shouldn't be chrismated until i graduate from college. that actually was my plan, but i didn't graduate when i thought i would, so now i'm stuck.

it's nice to be here and see everyone again! and i see some new people have joined. i probably won't come on very much anymore because i don't want to spend too much time on the computer, and since i haven't been going to church i don't feel like i can post very much, but i am still around.

Hi and welcome back :wave:

I go to a ROCOR church and yes, headcovering and skirts are expected as well as covering the upper arm while in church. I don't have a problem with this at all though. It is traditional for women to cover their hair in church. Orthodox, Protestant and catholic women covered until recently. Why? It's "because of the angels," because it shows that things are properly ordered in the assembly go God. At least that is what St. Paul says in 1 cor. 11 and that is what the Fathers say. I think it fell out of use in areas that had a lot of contact with Muslims, but hey our women where covering for 6 centuries at least before Mohammed was born.

There are some things I'm pretty traditional about (a lot of things actually) and headcovering is one of them. But, I don't think anyone should be forced to do it and I've never seen anyone chastised for not covering.

As for the other things you mention, my parish is different. We only use English and regular communion is encouraged. You are expected to confess before each communion, unless you're partaking multiple times in one week like during lent and holy week. We do venerate icons like you described :)

M.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Julina

Veteran
Apr 14, 2008
New Joisey
Visit site
✟18,285.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
thank you all! i feel so loved :)

Hi there!

Don't feel obligated to jump into all the traditions (little "t"). In the end being a Christian is not about traditions, but about coming closer to God.

Oh and don't feel bad... I still haven't graduated either.

i forgot to mention, one comfort when i go to the church is that when i see the icon of Jesus i'm reminded that at least God still knows who i am.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums