Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Tomorrow is my big day back reading. I'm really excited, not for me, but to be able to serve the Lord in the Orthodox Church above being a parishioner in the pews. I'm really excited but a tad nervous. Prayers are much-appreciated, friends! Lord have mercy that I don't screw this up! LOL

Reactions: rusmeister
Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,465,885.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Tomorrow is my big day back reading. I'm really excited, not for me, but to be able to serve the Lord in the Orthodox Church above being a parishioner in the pews. I'm really excited but a tad nervous. Prayers are much-appreciated, friends! Lord have mercy that I don't screw this up! LOL

Lord have mercy! hope it went well!

Upvote 0
Oct 15, 2008
Central California
✟274,079.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
It went VERY well! Didn't miss a beat and had several people tell me they loved the way I read. I was blessed to read such a lovely epistle as the piece of Galatians that I read today!

Thanks for prayers, friends!!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Anhelyna

Handmaid of God
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2005
Glasgow , Scotland
✟1,297,094.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Told you so :D

Seriously - that was a scary return - you'd been away , you'd been greeted warmly on your return , you'd restored your relationship with Father and now you had to start 'work' again. Of course you were apprehensive - who wouldn't have been after all that had happened ?

I'm so glad it went well.

Upvote 0

Jesus4Madrid

Orthodox Christian
Jul 21, 2011
✟90,072.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
It went VERY well! Didn't miss a beat and had several people tell me they loved the way I read. I was blessed to read such a lovely epistle as the piece of Galatians that I read today!

Glory to God!

Upvote 0

All4Christ

✙ The Handmaid of God Laura ✙
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
Mar 11, 2003
PA
Visit site
✟1,021,360.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married

So happy for you!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Oct 15, 2008
Central California
✟274,079.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Feast of St. Demetrius today. I had to read 2 prokemenons and no epistles. It was great. I had a feisty Russian gal we all love come up to me and thank me today! She said, "in all the years that I've been here since coming from Russia, today was the first time I clearly and totally understood the readings and prokeimenons! You really blessed me!"

She made my day!!!

Upvote 0

Anhelyna

Handmaid of God
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2005
Glasgow , Scotland
✟1,297,094.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Isn't it wonderful getting a comment like that - it makes the struggle worthwhile.

For some unknown reason I messed up the Kontakion yesterday :( everything else went fine. Yes it was St Demetrius for us too [ Julian ;) ] so I as, usual when that gives us doubles of everything , asked Fr how he wanted to take things - he looked at who was present - 2 total newcomers as well as the 4 regulars - and said quietly , " Since you will be taking the propers and singing everything AND helping them - we will just take the Sunday - but I'll take both Gospels - what about the Epistle ? " I gave the Epistle to a Ukrainian [ in Ukrainian ] .

It was a lovely Liturgy - I like Tone 6 :) And Fr took all 3 Antiphons in English and gave a beaming smile when he heard me singing them in harmony with him [ since no-one else was singing with him I dropped into harmony which I prefer ] Mind you keeping up with him as he swaps from Ukrainian to English and back again is not easy - he never does things twice the same way ! The only thing I insist on is that we use both languages for the Pre-communion prayer. It's such a beautiful statement of Faith as well as asking for Mercy

Upvote 0
Oct 15, 2008
Central California
✟274,079.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Yeah, it sure does make it worthwhile. I had a few people thanking me for reading? I thought that was nice, though unnecessary.

Father made it pretty easy for me. He had a sticky note next to the extra prokeimenon and told me exactly how to handle it early before DL started. He's pretty supportive.

I hope people continue to pray for Father George. My wife was talking with his wife, our Protenica. She was saying that Father was burned so badly that it went to HIS BONE in some spots, third degree burns as deep as it gets. But the good news is he is re-growing flesh properly after all the donor skin has taken. He had his 19th surgery over a week ago.

I enjoyed this post, Anhelyna. I think you truly know what it's like to deal with unpredictability! Your priest sounds like my principal! LOL

Isn't it wonderful getting a comment like that - it makes the struggle worthwhile.

For some unknown reason I messed up the Kontakion yesterday :( everything else went fine. Yes it was St Demetrius for us too [ Julian ;) ] so I as, usual when that gives us doubles of everything , asked Fr how he wanted to take things - he looked at who was present - 2 total newcomers as well as the 4 regulars - and said quietly , " Since you will be taking the propers and singing everything AND helping them - we will just take the Sunday - but I'll take both Gospels - what about the Epistle ? " I gave the Epistle to a Ukrainian [ in Ukrainian ] .

It was a lovely Liturgy - I like Tone 6 :) And Fr took all 3 Antiphons in English and gave a beaming smile when he heard me singing them in harmony with him [ since no-one else was singing with him I dropped into harmony which I prefer ] Mind you keeping up with him as he swaps from Ukrainian to English and back again is not easy - he never does things twice the same way ! The only thing I insist on is that we use both languages for the Pre-communion prayer. It's such a beautiful statement of Faith as well as asking for Mercy

Upvote 0

Anhelyna

Handmaid of God
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2005
Glasgow , Scotland
✟1,297,094.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Fr George has had a really bad experience - and it shows just how much determination and prayer does. He's has a long haul so far - and it will continue for some time yet , but clearly he is healing.

Unpredictability - you are so right there ! It's called thinking on your feet :)

A typical Sunday in the Parish - I get there , we wait for Server to arrive while opening up . The we talk for a couple of secs and it goes something like this - OK Server - Epistle in English , Anhelyna - if xxx not here you take Propers in English [ xxx is over 90 but still thinks he's our Chanter ]

Liturgy starts Antiphons as usual - Fr's Solo :( He's too fast for me using Ukrainian so I hum along - people WON'T sing

Look round quickly - OK I'm on for Propers - they are chanted Recto Tono [ Parish don't like me singing in English :( We are Ukrainians you know ] I don't take Prokemenon as Server will be doing it in English - but he doesn't :( He looks at me - I oblige [ he's got the Propers in both languages in front of him ! ] AND then

Epistle in Ukrainian !!

Gospel in both languages

Everything else in Ukrainian

Upvote 0

All4Christ

✙ The Handmaid of God Laura ✙
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
Mar 11, 2003
PA
Visit site
✟1,021,360.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
@gurneyhalleck1 - I'm really happy for you and am thank God that things have worked out so much better than before! You are still in my prayers, as are your family members.

Reactions: seekingsolace
Upvote 0