Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2005
Glasgow , Scotland
✟1,297,397.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
I use Choir Cues - and have already suggested that as a possibility with the caveat that he will have to find information about specifically Serbian Feasts , etc. hence my suggestion of approaching someone at this Cathedral

Upvote 0
Oct 15, 2008
Central California
✟274,079.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
There is only the apostol book that has ALL of it in there, and that's the book we actually read from during DL!

Gurney - just had a thought [ no rude comments please - I leave those to my GodPapa - he's excellent with them ;) ]

Does your Cathedral have a Typicon to which you could get access ? This would have absolutely everything that you need.Why not try someone there - pointing our that with Father still largely unavailable you need to get stuff ready before Saturday to give you a chance to prepare properly.

Upvote 0
Oct 15, 2008
Central California
✟274,079.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I have great apps with calendars, Jesus4. The only thing is, I have yet to find an app that shows the prokeimena and alleluias?

There are some great Orthodox calendar apps. I use a Russian Orthodox one from a church in Georgia ( USA). You can probably find a Serbian one as well.

Upvote 0

Anhelyna

Handmaid of God
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2005
Glasgow , Scotland
✟1,297,397.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
BUT he's Serbian :-( and there will be some differences at times. Though I use Choir Cues a LOT [ they are Julian Calendar as are we ] I still have to be very careful as we sometimes Celebrate things on different days [ thinking of the Great Fast here ]

Gurney - sometimes it's possible to find a source with an Apostol you could buy.

You are just going to have to build up your Liturgical Library, Gurney :) Good luck ! My GodPapa's extends to most of 2 sets of floor to ceiling Bookshelves :) [ OK possibly 25% of that is Old Believer stuff - he has the 12 Meniaons (Grrh can't spell that ) which came from a Ukrainian source and had to be re-bound ]

Upvote 0

gzt

The age of the Earth is 4.54 ± 0.07 billion years
Jul 14, 2004
Abolish ICE
Visit site
✟117,925.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
And of course the Old Calendar choir cues doesn't even use real English. See this weekend's prokeimenon: "O chant unto our God, chant ye; chant unto our King, chant ye." Chant ye? Come on.

Upvote 0

Anhelyna

Handmaid of God
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2005
Glasgow , Scotland
✟1,297,397.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Ah well - that can always be sorted out :) BUT in its favour it's normally correct for the Tone , and the Propers - language may need a bit of tweaking and the Readings [ you may need to change the translation for them - but that's not hard - I use NKJV ;) ]

Prokeimenon, tone 3:Sing to our God, sing:* sing to our King, sing. (Ps. 46:9)

Verse:Clap your hands, all you nations; shout unto God with the voice of joy. (Ps. 46:2)

Upvote 0
Oct 15, 2008
Central California
✟274,079.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I looked into buying an apostol about 9 months ago. It was like $175!!!

Anyone know where I could find an affordable one?

I just found two online and one was $100, the other $96. Scary stuff!

BUT he's Serbian :-( and there will be some differences at times. Though I use Choir Cues a LOT [ they are Julian Calendar as are we ] I still have to be very careful as we sometimes Celebrate things on different days [ thinking of the Great Fast here ]

Gurney - sometimes it's possible to find a source with an Apostol you could buy.

You are just going to have to build up your Liturgical Library, Gurney :) Good luck ! My GodPapa's extends to most of 2 sets of floor to ceiling Bookshelves :) [ OK possibly 25% of that is Old Believer stuff - he has the 12 Meniaons (Grrh can't spell that ) which came from a Ukrainian source and had to be re-bound ]

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

All4Christ

✙ The Handmaid of God Laura ✙
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
Mar 11, 2003
PA
Visit site
✟1,021,660.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Last edited:
Upvote 0

E.C.

Jan 12, 2007
✟136,658.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Thank you, everybody. I'm really excited. You know, I talked to Father's wife, our Protenica. She was telling me that she always rejoices when I'm at church. I asked her why? She said she knows the struggles I went through and she is grateful to God that I forgave Father. She said she loves seeing my two sons serving at the altar, and for me to read again, she's thrilled. She said, "I know it's hard for you." I said, "hard? You mean coming to church on Sunday? I've only missed one liturgy in like 9 weeks?" She said, "no, not showing up. It's hard BEING ORTHODOX! I struggle every day. It's just hard BEING in the faith. You know what I mean?"

Simple, almost childishly simple, statement, but it really sums it up. Orthodoxy IS hard. But I think that's what makes it right. I have to constantly tell myself to stay Orthodox. I have to constantly remind myself to pray. I have to regularly tell myself why I need to get up early, not eat on Sunday am, and go clear up there. It's something I have to fight along with. But even the wife of a priest has to do the same thing. And I think that struggle comes from Satan constantly badgering us. He puts in overtime with a religion that can really change you. He spends less time on cults and country clubs with crosses. He puts in overtime for us and is a busy demon.
Good news! Just remember that in one of Paul's letters to the Corinthians he lists all the times he was beaten, imprisoned, and, shipwrecked. ;)

Upvote 0

gzt

The age of the Earth is 4.54 ± 0.07 billion years
Jul 14, 2004
Abolish ICE
Visit site
✟117,925.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
But really, you don't need to buy anything: if you want to know what the epistle, prokeimenon, and alleluia verses are in advance, the diocese/jurisdition likely produces a liturgical guide (at least, the OCA, the ROCOR, the Antiochians, and the Greeks do - the Serbs are terra incognita for me), or there might be a website that lists these things in advance (again, I know those four do),

I mean, buying an epistle book won't be helpful unless you actually know how to do it, and usually what I would do (before I'd just print out from Choir Cues and insert it into the book) is look up the answer in the annual liturgical guide and then mark the epistle (rather than working it out based on the fact that it's a 6-stichera service with such-and-such appointed in the Menaion and it's the 19th Sunday after Pentecost or whatever it happens to be). So the book itself isn't helpful.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

All4Christ

✙ The Handmaid of God Laura ✙
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
Mar 11, 2003
PA
Visit site
✟1,021,660.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
The problem is that's an Antiochian one set up for Antiochian readings with an Antiochian translation.
Fair enough...I'm not overly familiar with the differences in translation, etc.

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,466,215.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I looked into buying an apostol about 9 months ago. It was like $175!!!

Anyone know where I could find an affordable one?

I just found two online and one was $100, the other $96. Scary stuff!

we have them at St Tikhon's, in Elijah's Mantle I think where they be free. I'll follow up, but if they are there, they are yours for the taking.

Upvote 0