PA
✟15,394.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
My wife, of 9 months, has clarified something that I have been expecting since we got married. She admitted that she believes I'm always wrong. I'm afraid to talk to her half the time, unless it's small talk. I'm afraid that any recommendation I offer, will be met with conflict. I can't reason with her, because it appears that she only sees what she wants to see. She has told me many times that if she only knew certain things, she would never have married me. (For example, I like small Christian fellowships and she likes large churches. To her that's a deal breaker.) I would never say anything that hurtful to her.

When I try to carefully offer the thought that she may be mistaken, she get's extremely angry. For example, we needed to find a certain paper form, belonging to her. We couldn't find after searching. I had searched for 1 hour, and thought how I would approach her. I was rehearsing what I would say to her in my thoughts, before I met with her. I said, "I can't find the form, after searching an hour, perhaps you may have missed it? Could you search again?" (I said this because she keeps her own documents in a separate part of the house. She has told me that she does not trust me with her stuff, and that she likes where she stores stuff, even though I've offered to rearrange our home office, so she can keep documents in the office.)

She took great offence to this. I asked her what I could have said instead. She told me to keep searching my documents, because she is sure I lost it. She scolded me for telling her she was wrong. I tried telling her that I was very careful with my words, but she did not understand. (She was not in a bad mood before this.)

Now I do make mistakes, plenty of them. I even get in a bad mood sometimes, and say things in a wrong tone of voice, out of frustration. Although, she is constantly speaking to me in a mean tone of voice, and she denies her tone, when I try and tell her that she is verbally hurting me. (Sometimes I have to just get away from her, due to her hurtful words) She also constantly blames me when shes in a bad mood, saying that I'm in control of her mood. But she usually seems in a bad mood nowadays.

We want to have children, but I'm afraid to bring a child into our world, as we stand today. She is extremely sad that I have decided to delay our choice to have a child, and she is reluctant to make love. I told her why. I even told her that she can tell everyone, that I'm the one delaying children, so she does not feel like she is shaming her family.

I'm scared for our marriage, but I wont give up. I'm learning to make less mistakes, and leave behind bachelor thinking, but it never seems good enough. I can't help but to think that my wife is divorced from a man that physically and emotionally abused her. But I am starting to consider, if everything was really her ex husband's fault, as she told me? I would die, before I would think of abusing her. I want to fix things, but don't know how. We don't have much money, after tithing, so I want to make sure I find and recommend a good marriage counselor. How do I find a good counselor? What do I do? I know she would see a marriage counselor, because she says that she wants peace, as do I.

thesunisout

growing in grace
Site Supporter
Mar 24, 2011
He lifts me up
✟159,601.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
My wife, of 9 months, has clarified something that I have been expecting since we got married. She admitted that she believes I'm always wrong. I'm afraid to talk to her half the time, unless it's small talk. I'm afraid that any recommendation I offer, will be met with conflict. I can't reason with her, because it appears that she only sees what she wants to see. She has told me many times that if she only knew certain things, she would never have married me. (For example, I like small Christian fellowships and she likes large churches. To her that's a deal breaker.) I would never say anything that hurtful to her.

When I try to carefully offer the thought that she may be mistaken, she get's extremely angry. For example, we needed to find a certain paper form, belonging to her. We couldn't find after searching. I had searched for 1 hour, and thought how I would approach her. I was rehearsing what I would say to her in my thoughts, before I met with her. I said, "I can't find the form, after searching an hour, perhaps you may have missed it? Could you search again?" (I said this because she keeps her own documents in a separate part of the house. She has told me that she does not trust me with her stuff, and that she likes where she stores stuff, even though I've offered to rearrange our home office, so she can keep documents in the office.)

She took great offence to this. I asked her what I could have said instead. She told me to keep searching my documents, because she is sure I lost it. She scolded me for telling her she was wrong. I tried telling her that I was very careful with my words, but she did not understand. (She was not in a bad mood before this.)

Now I do make mistakes, plenty of them. I even get in a bad mood sometimes, and say things in a wrong tone of voice, out of frustration. Although, she is constantly speaking to me in a mean tone of voice, and she denies her tone, when I try and tell her that she is verbally hurting me. (Sometimes I have to just get away from her, due to her hurtful words) She also constantly blames me when shes in a bad mood, saying that I'm in control of her mood. But she usually seems in a bad mood nowadays.

We want to have children, but I'm afraid to bring a child into our world, as we stand today. She is extremely sad that I have decided to delay our choice to have a child, and she is reluctant to make love. I told her why. I even told her that she can tell everyone, that I'm the one delaying children, so she does not feel like she is shaming her family.

I'm scared for our marriage, but I wont give up. I'm learning to make less mistakes, and leave behind bachelor thinking, but it never seems good enough. I can't help but to think that my wife is divorced from a man that physically and emotionally abused her. But I am starting to consider, if everything was really her ex husband's fault, as she told me? I would die, before I would think of abusing her. I want to fix things, but don't know how. We don't have much money, after tithing, so I want to make sure I find and recommend a good marriage counselor. How do I find a good counselor? What do I do? I know she would see a marriage counselor, because she says that she wants peace, as do I.

I'm sorry you're having so many struggles in your marriage. I would definitely recommend finding a Christian marriage counselor. Check through your church, first of all. Ask your Pastor or the elders there to recommend someone to you. You may be able to find one locally for free, or for a limited amount of money.

I think you guys have a lot to work out that will take a lot of prayer and help from the Lord. Don't base how you look at this on her behavior; see this marriage as your ministry from God to be the spiritual leader in your marriage. If you can't lead her with your words, lead her with your example. Study the bible with her and pray with her if you can. If you can't, then keep praying for her. Ask the Lord to change you into the husband He created you to be.

• Agree
Reactions: cacemf
Upvote 0

nChrist

AKA: Tom - Saved By Grace Through Faith
Site Supporter
Mar 21, 2003
Oklahoma, USA
✟902,160.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
You and your marriage will be in my prayers. I have some comments, but I'm not a counselor. I think that sooner or later you will have to be who you are instead of walking on eggshells and trying to be someone your wife will accept. It sounds like you can't do anything right, and I don't believe that. You appear to be doing everything you can to make things work whether your wife participates in those efforts or not.

I don't think that God wants you to be a punching bag for your wife. I think you should pray about your marriage and ask your wife to pray with you. I also think that you are right in waiting for a child. You won't be able to take this kind of treatment for the rest of your life, and I don't think it would be right for anyone to ask you to. Counseling would be a good thing, but only if your wife is willing to try on her part. Prayer may be one of your best tools at this time in the conflict. It's sad to say that this is a conflict instead of a marriage. Love is another powerful tool, and you've made it obvious that you love her. The problem is that love is a two way street. Truth is another tool, but it appears that truth just inflames her right now. I hope there is something here that helps you.

• Agree
Reactions: Sam91
Upvote 0

Tolworth John

Site Supporter
Mar 10, 2017
Tolworth
✟369,679.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
She admitted that she believes I'm always wrong
When I try to carefully offer the thought that she may be mistaken, she get's extremely angry.

May I suggest a couple of things.
1. Document her behaviour. What you did/said and how she reacted when and where this happened.
2.talk to your pastor for advice and support.
3. look into anger management courses.

4. confront her. Ask her why she believes you are always wrong?
Ask her why she gets so angry when you question her?
Ask her does she think her behaviour is how other people behave.
Ask her is she willing to change in order to save the marriage?

Sorry but I think you are heading for divorce on the grounds of her unreasonable behaviour.

Upvote 0

tampasteve

Pray for peace in Israel
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Angels Team
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
May 15, 2017
Tampa
✟775,929.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Marriage and Family Counselor, preferably Christian. There are some issues that need to be addressed with a professional that can calmly and rationally guide your discussions to a conclusion that will be acceptable to both of you. It is hard to make that suggestion to your wife. Make an appointment, tell her that you have one and when to be there. As hard as it will be you need to impress upon her that your marriage depends on the two of you working some issues out with a professional. Expect her to keep the appointment.

If you happen to be in FL I can recommend a good Christian Counselor. He also does intensive weekend workshops for couples, but if you are out of state that could be too costly.

Upvote 0

HannahT

Site Supporter
Apr 9, 2013
✟459,470.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

There are times in which you need to just let your wife know that NO you will not be continuing to search for the form. Once she had searched a second time you may try to look again. This is NOT an unreasonable request, and I realize she may get upset. Yet, you need to walk away and let her marinate in it. It's called a boundary, and everyone has a right to them. No doubt she will continue to gripe, but you need to hold strong.

Sometimes just letting her know - when she feels you are wrong, and she isn't being rational with her responses the best thing to do is say, 'sorry you feel that way'...and leave the room. There are times with people once you hit the point of no return its best just to leave it there.

I think you need to find someone closer to speak with. Counselor would be good too. You are speaking of a very unhealthy dynamic here, and NOT having children at this point is a good idea. It's not fair to anyone.

My prayers are with you both.

Upvote 0

DZoolander

Persnickety Member
Apr 24, 2007
Far far away
✟120,134.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Did this just start? Why did you marry someone that treats you that way?

You’re 100% correct not to be bringing a child into the mix. I would be even more blunt. If you can’t be a reasonable human being around me and nitpick me to death as an adult - do you really think I’m going to be party to bringing a child into that?

Upvote 0

NothingIsImpossible

May 22, 2015
✟274,922.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Having issues at first is normal as you adjust to each other. However whats not normal is treating you so badly as if your only wrong and shes only right. She needs to work on her anger and understanding when you disagree in marriage you have to think about how to say things. Because lashing out means maybe saying something destructive to the other person. Which in the end if done enough can lead to bitterness on both sides.

Is part of her disagreeing because shes mad about kids? Or did this start before that? Delaying having kids is a good idea for now. People rush into marriage thinking you must start having kids but sometimes a wait is needed to make things are working out right.

Its also frustrating to hear her say there are things that if she had known, she wouldn't have married you. Sometimes people go into marriage thinking of it as a fairy tale. They want the perfect spouse that matches there description and has no flaws. But thats not reality. And people who have a list of what they want in a spouse may never be happy with who they find. What are some of the other things she didn't know about you?

The fact she would have not married you because of your differences in what size church you go to is petty. If anything a big church can sometimes not be as healthy. At least from what I have seen in big churches. Smaller churches are more friendly because of their size. But thats another topic for another day.

I'd definitely start marriage counseling. Especially because she says your the cause of her bad mood. Having a mother with rage issues, she refused to accept (for a long time) that it doesn't matter if someone makes you angry, its still up to you on how to respond. If she doesn't like something you say (not that you are perfect), she can choose to take a mean tone or take a a laid back tone.

Upvote 0

NothingIsImpossible

May 22, 2015
✟274,922.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I just remembered something else I was going to say. This is why I always say before marriage discuss everything. No matter how big or small of a topic. Topics everywhere from views on denominations, views on having kids, even views on how to do laundry or personal flaws you may have. Because it helps to know before marrying someone just all there is to know.

I mean your past that point now of course. And even once you marry there may be issues you forgot to talk about. Especially personal things things like maybe you like to pick your nose. Silly I know but personal habits can drive a spouse nuts. My wife and I talked about everything under the sun.

Upvote 0

Mountainmanbob

Goat Whisperer
Site Supporter
Sep 6, 2016
✟1,096,353.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Many years ago my wife and I found good Christian Counseling at a church (not the church we were attending). Call around. As you know both parties must be willing to do pretty much exactly what the counselor recommends straight from the Bible.

You are smart to hold back on having a child. In (no way) will having a child help your situation.

M-Bob

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums