Vantaa
✟80,648.00
Country
Finland
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I've seen a lot of people saying all kinds of stuff like this. I'm afraid I lost my salvation. I'm afraid I'll go to hell. I'm afraid I committed the unpardonable sin. I'm afraid of this, I'm afraid of that, etc.

But really what those people are doing is that they are elevating their own neurotic thoughts above the Bible. Your own neurotic thoughts that you came up with all by yourself are holier than the Holy Bible itself (supposedly). Is this the most ridiculous thing ever?

To me, being a Christian means standing on the promises of God. If you are standing on what God said, nothing could make you fall over. And if the Bible says you can't lose your salvation then you can't lose your salvation and that's the end of story. Whenevery people have issues like fear and doubt or whatever, the solution always is going to the Bible because that's the highest authority. We need to trust God like a little baby would trust his parent.

Reactions: sandman

d taylor

Oct 16, 2018
Mississippi
✟251,302.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
-
Well people who say this, in some or even many cases, may actually be trusting in actions, they are doing or have done. Have they understood that receiving God's free gift of Eternal Life, is by faith in The Messiah and not by actions they may do, baptism, repentance, obedience, etc...

And that assurance for a person, rest solely in God's promise that all who believe in the Messiah for Eternal Life have it and can never lose it. They have crossed over from death to life.

Upvote 0

JLB777

Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2012
✟403,811.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I've seen a lot of people saying all kinds of stuff like this. I'm afraid I lost my salvation. I'm afraid I'll go to hell. I'm afraid I committed the unpardonable sin. I'm afraid of this, I'm afraid of that, etc.

But really what those people are doing is that they are elevating their own neurotic thoughts above the Bible. Your own neurotic thoughts that you came up with all by yourself are holier than the Holy Bible itself (supposedly). Is this the most ridiculous thing ever?

To me, being a Christian means standing on the promises of God. If you are standing on what God said, nothing could make you fall over. And if the Bible says you can't lose your salvation then you can't lose your salvation and that's the end of story. Whenevery people have issues like fear and doubt or whatever, the solution always is going to the Bible because that's the highest authority. We need to trust God like a little baby would trust his parent.

Or they are indeed convicted by the Holy Spirit, that they need to repent and return to the Lord, as the prodigal son did.

Jesus warned that we must remain in Him…

If anyone does not abide in Me, he is cast out as a branch and is withered; and they gather them and throw them into the fire, and they are burned. John 15:6

Here is how this same apostle John instructs us to remain in Christ —

Now he who keeps His commandments abides in Him, and He in him. And by this we know that He abides in us, by the Spirit whom He has given us. 1 John 3:24

JLB

Upvote 0

Tolworth John

Site Supporter
Mar 10, 2017
Tolworth
✟369,679.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

Asking why do they think/feel like this is a positive responce, as sometimes there is some other problem that needs dealing with.

Yes teaching by word and example of what Christian living is very useful, but the underlying problem also has to be addressed.

Reactions: Mari17
Upvote 0

IoanC

Oct 9, 2022
Ploiesti, Prahova
Visit site
✟29,183.00
Country
Romania
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Despair can be a very serious temptation. It can cause a lot of suffering, too. At its peak, it will go beyond human capacity to overcome negative elements. In such a situation, we learn that only God has power over what torments us. It teaches us true humility and hope. When such requirements are met, God will remove despair or other negative elements.

Upvote 0

Mari17

Jun 17, 2017
Newport
✟143,112.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Asking why do they think/feel like this is a positive responce, as sometimes there is some other problem that needs dealing with.

Yes teaching by word and example of what Christian living is very useful, but the underlying problem also has to be addressed.
I appreciate this response, as I have had some of the fears the OP mentioned. I have obsessive-compulsive disorder, which makes it very difficult to NOT have fear and anxiety responses to certain thoughts or ideas. Yes, it can be worked on through mental therapy strategies and through growing in my relationship with God and learning who He really is, but it takes time, and I greatly appreciate when someone shows compassion and patience for those of us whose minds are naturally weak.

Upvote 0

atpollard

Jun 18, 2017
Florida
✟116,285.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
No. It is not the op who said that the op is afraid the op lost their salvation. The op apparently just posted that others may or do say that, without actual quoting a person and / or without a person here claiming that.
I quoted the title of the topic verbatim (thus the need to place it in quotes), and offered a response to the implied question of what should one do.
On one level, it was a 'tongue in cheek' response, yet one that contained a great deal of practical truth on another level.

Upvote 0

Wayne Gabler

Jan 26, 2020
Calgary
✟22,527.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
The worst that can happen to a Gentile who believes the 'doubting Thomas' story (at one time) is they become part of the Re:20:5 resurrection list, rather than the Re:20:4 which is for repented Gentiles.

Upvote 0