smileawhile

Jul 18, 2011
Dallas, Tx
✟356.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
I've been married 9.5 years to my husband. We are both Christians, or so I thought.
To keep this as brief as possible, I'll just say that our entire marriage has been a struggle. From Day 1, it has been painful for me. For him, he seems to have thought (until now) that it was all just "normal". When we met with a marriage counselor 3 years ago, the counselor asked me how much longer I could stay married if my husband didn't change. My answer was less than 1 year. My husband's answer was 20+ years, aka, a lifetime. He didn't see a problem. He thought things were fine. I, however, know it is not.

Fast forward to today, 1 miscarriage later and a now miracle 8 month old and I'm at a much darker place. I have had many suicidal thoughts and thoughts of leaving my husband and going some place far, far away. I have even thought of hurting him. I've wished him dead.

I've recently found out that he's a sex addict. He came clean about a month ago. He's masturbated since he was 12. He has fetishes with things like handcuffs and rubber gloves. He's also worn my lingerie and masturbated. He's been into inappropriate content and lusting after women at his job, and most hurtful, at our church. Namely, our pastor's wife. He has compared me the entirety of our marriage. All of the above has just been disclosed to me in the last month. I had no idea any specifics. I've always known we had something between us, but he seemed to blame me and so did I.

He has initiated sex maybe 10% of the time in the 9.5 years of marriage. I'm short and curvy, a little overweight. I'm a typical size 10. I'm conservative and quirky in my clothing. I do not look to be flashy or appealing but I do feel that I'm attractive. I could stand to lose 15-20lbs. I can see how that may be a struggle for him. I do wish he were more honest and open with me about how he felt about my physical weight and appearance. He has the most odd obsession with our pastor's wife. She's taller than me by maybe 2 inches and has a more boyish, slender figure, not very curvy as I am. She's about a size 6-8. She is alluring in personality and very gaudy in her dress. I find this painful because I'm being compared to something I can never be. He has given me his word to let me know everything that happens at work and at church or even when we're apart. As far as his thoughts, lusts, and actions. He did this for about 2 weeks and for the most part, I asked him, there was not an initiation on his part.

I am crushed, confused and sickened. I know we have problems. And I'll be the first one to admit I'm not perfect. I have my flaws and I realize there are 2 sides to every story and there are 2 sides to every betrayal. I realize there is probably some degree that I have caused him to go astray in his heart and mind. But I'm also smart enough to realize that my husband has willingly damaged my heart, multiple times, and has blamed me consistently for this. He doesn't initiate conversations, discussions and has not even shown remorse (to my standards) for his actions and the hurt he has caused. Yes, I have days where it's a huge pity party and it's all about how I've been abandoned emotionally and how I was pregnant and he was off in his heart with my pastor's wife. I'm a new mom, still in the first year of postpartum recovery and all the while, he wants and lusts for someone else. It hurts so much.

He has admitted after I pried, that he has envisioned my pastor's wife and other women when he was having sex with me. This has crushed my spirit. I feel that I have been abused. I don't even know the first step. As said before, he does not initiate talking. I do. He often gets defensive, huffs and puffs and doesn't have anything constructive to say. He makes excuses for everything he does. We argue for hours. HOURS. And nothing is accomplished except that I am more angry and livid every day. There are days that I thought I had forgiven him, but then I go to church and there SHE is. When I ask how it went for him, the first 2 weeks was "fine". Now, he's having thoughts again, he's already let his guard down and feels that he's "achieved the next level". He told me being honest is too much work and that it feels like he keeps hurting me with the truth, so he's decided to just keep it in.

What do I do? How do I go on? I'm so mad at him I could punch him in the face. I'm so mad at what he's allowed into our home. What he's done to our 8 month old baby. Please help me. I'm sinking.

Reactions: Dalee

Poppyseed78

Site Supporter
Sep 13, 2016
US
✟275,982.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I'm sorry, that sounds very hurtful. I have a 9-month-old baby, so I understand the first year is turbulent even in the best of circumstances. Try to keep yourself as calm as possible. I'll be honest though, I would feel very betrayed.

I think the first thing to do is for you (both) to stop attending that church. Even if your husband stops thinking about the pastor's wife, you will never forget it, and it will be a constant shadow over you every time you go to church.

Does your husband understand that he is not honoring you, and the vows he made? It's hurting not only you, but your whole family. It doesn't sound like he's making much effort to control his thoughts and actions, while he expects you to just put up with it indefinitely.

I'll pray for God to heal your marriage. Is your husband open to starting counseling again? I do think a problem like this can be overcome, but he has to be willing to work on it. May God give you wisdom and patience in navigating this.

Upvote 0

smileawhile

Jul 18, 2011
Dallas, Tx
✟356.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Thank you. God bless you!

I'm sorry, that sounds very hurtful. I have a 9-month-old baby, so I understand the first year is turbulent even in the best of circumstances. Try to keep yourself as calm as possible. I'll be honest though, I would feel very betrayed.

I think the first thing to do is for you (both) to stop attending that church. Even if your husband stops thinking about the pastor's wife, you will never forget it, and it will be a constant shadow over you every time you go to church.

Does your husband understand that he is not honoring you, and the vows he made? It's hurting not only you, but your whole family. It doesn't sound like he's making much effort to control his thoughts and actions, while he expects you to just put up with it indefinitely.

I'll pray for God to heal your marriage. Is your husband open to starting counseling again? I do think a problem like this can be overcome, but he has to be willing to work on it. May God give you wisdom and patience in navigating this.

Upvote 0

Paidiske

Clara bonam audax
Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2016
Albury, Australia
Visit site
✟1,504,307.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Have you been assessed for post-natal depression? Not that I'm dismissing your very real struggle, but I noted what you said about a "much darker place" and I'm wondering if your own mental health is making it more difficult to work through things.

No shame in it - I was terribly depressed while I was pregnant - but maybe worth a thought and a check up with a GP, in case you can get some support that will help?

Upvote 0

Poppyseed78

Site Supporter
Sep 13, 2016
US
✟275,982.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Have you been assessed for post-natal depression? Not that I'm dismissing your very real struggle, but I noted what you said about a "much darker place" and I'm wondering if your own mental health is making it more difficult to work through things.

No shame in it - I was terribly depressed while I was pregnant - but maybe worth a thought and a check up with a GP, in case you can get some support that will help?

I'm glad you brought this up, it's definitely worth considering. There are a lot of challenges in the post-partum period.

I think at this time you should focus on your baby and on your own well-being. Take care of your needs, and your baby's, first. I think an individual counselor for yourself could be helpful, just because of the shock of what you've discovered about your husband in the past month. I can relate to feeling inadequate; my ex-boyfriend used to compare me to other women constantly. It's not the way a Christian man should treat his wife.

Please, do take care of yourself.

• Agree
Reactions: MotherFirefly
Upvote 0

smileawhile

Jul 18, 2011
Dallas, Tx
✟356.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
I think this is a valid point. I've considered that I may be suffering postpartum depression. I will definitely check with my Dr. Thanks.

Reactions: Paidiske
Upvote 0

Bell122855

Sep 30, 2016
RI
✟17,953.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
This is very disturbing to me. I would strongly suggest that you find a good therapist that specializes in ex addictions, maybe even a christian counselor for you to talk to. They can be very helpful in guiding you thought this.

I am praying for you and for your husband but someone needs to hold him accountable, someone other than you. Is there anyone you can share this with that would be willing to reach out and help your husband?

Upvote 0

dayhiker

Mature veteran
Sep 13, 2006
MA
✟220,077.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
Hi Smileawhile .. Welcome to CF.
My impressing on reading your OP of this thread was that you both have a lot to learn and a lot of growing.
I'm thinking your husband's faults go way back to his childhood. So no quick answers I'm thinking.
I agree and am glad your are going to check out post natal depression. I'm thinking that might have you being more sensitive to your husband's thoughts than you were earlier in the marriage. You might also be having a greater desire for security with the new child and so his look at other woman becomes a bigger fear of possible loss.
Good news he had no thoughts of leaving you, 20+ years.
If you both do the hard personal growth work you will come out of this much more mature and healthy with more love for each other.

Upvote 0

Poppyseed78

Site Supporter
Sep 13, 2016
US
✟275,982.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
No. Whether she has PPD or not, her husband fantasizing about the PASTOR'S WIFE is wrong. And if she does have PPD, then he should be extra kind and compassionate toward her, and him even stepping foot inside that church is a huge slap in the face.

PPD can be fatal. Let's not tell this woman that she has a lot of "growing up" to do. Really? Really?

Upvote 0

Poppyseed78

Site Supporter
Sep 13, 2016
US
✟275,982.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hi Smileawhile .. Welcome to CF.
My impressing on reading your OP of this thread was that you both have a lot to learn and a lot of growing.
I'm thinking your husband's faults go way back to his childhood. So no quick answers I'm thinking.
I agree and am glad your are going to check out post natal depression. I'm thinking that might have you being more sensitive to your husband's thoughts than you were earlier in the marriage. You might also be having a greater desire for security with the new child and so his look at other woman becomes a bigger fear of possible loss.
Good news he had no thoughts of leaving you, 20+ years.
If you both do the hard personal growth work you will come out of this much more mature and healthy with more love for each other.

Quoting because I forgot to in my reply above.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

dayhiker

Mature veteran
Sep 13, 2006
MA
✟220,077.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
No. Whether she has PPD or not, her husband fantasizing about the PASTOR'S WIFE is wrong. And if she does have PPD, then he should be extra kind and compassionate toward her, and him even stepping foot inside that church is a huge slap in the face.

PPD can be fatal. Let's not tell this woman that she has a lot of "growing up" to do. Really? Really?

I guess I didn't make it clear that the personal growth I was talking about isn't growing up, isn't just about her, wasn't justifying her husband's actions and is after dealing with PPD. In short its what ever couple I have talked to and known who has serious problems has to do to get to a healthy place.

• Agree
Reactions: Gwen-is-new!
Upvote 0

swill314

Apr 30, 2016
Minnesota
✟15,413.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

I agree with your reply 100%. Even if she does had PPD that would probably be about 1/10 of the problem. She is not to blame.

Upvote 0

Catherineanne

Sep 1, 2004
Europe
✟76,860.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Widowed

Yes, that was my thought as well.

Also, comments about appearance are disturbing because they seem to take the blame for what is not the OPs fault. Husbands don't have affairs or emotional affairs because their wives are a few pounds overweight.

Upvote 0

MotherFirefly

May 10, 2016
U.S.
✟43,164.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
In all of human history, I cannot think of a virtue that is more important, nor an idea that has claimed more lives than that of Loyalty.

I am having a hard time understanding why this is even a discussion, However don't get distracted - your own needs come second only to your child's.

Take care, love. I wish you the best of luck and good decision making.

Upvote 0

NicoleWilliams

Sep 14, 2016
Colorado
✟7,838.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
What do I do? How do I go on? I'm so mad at him I could punch him in the face. I'm so mad at what he's allowed into our home. What he's done to our 8 month old baby. Please help me. I'm sinking.

Oh, I am so sorry to hear that you’re going through so much in your marriage. I can only imagine how painful and confusing it must be for you. I wish I could give you a hug! Communication is very important in a marriage – so I encourage you to talk to your husband and let him know how you’re feeling in a loving manner. Maybe this can help? Express your hurt and set appropriate boundaries, as well. Also, seek Christian marriage counseling before giving up. I’ll certainly be praying for you, sister! May His grace and peace surround you, sustain you, and guard your heart and mind as you seek a way forward through this dark and troubling time. Take care of yourself and your baby, too, okay?

Reactions: smileawhile
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Dalee

Jan 11, 2017
Florida
✟15,297.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hi. Your post resonates with me. I am in a very similar situation. I am dealing with hurt, anger, resentment, struggling with forgiveness. I've been married more than 11 years to my hs sweetheart, with a 2 year old toddler and recently found out my husband has been paying for erotic massages. I came to CF to find support. We are working on reconciliation but it is such a struggle for me. I feel I am sharing a bed with a total stranger. The man I thought I married would never do this.

What has helped you? I would be up for PMing if you want to share struggles and triumphs. This has been especially hard for me because I don't have someone to chat with who has been through it from a Christian perspective. We are in counseling, but I feel like the counselor hasn't been in my shoes. Would love to talk to someone who has been through this struggle and had positive outcomes.

Upvote 0

Worship4HIM

Jul 15, 2019
Lagrange
✟8,175.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
In all of human history, I cannot think of a virtue that is more important, nor an idea that has claimed more lives than that of Loyalty.

I am having a hard time understanding why this is even a discussion, However don't get distracted - your own needs come second only to your child's.

Take care, love. I wish you the best of luck and good decision making.
As a MARRIED Christian when we start talking about needs, Gods will should be well known. Our needs do NOT come second only to our child's. As a Married Christian it's always God first, then our spouse, then our children, Period. Some people may get that twisted but it is not Biblical. When we start to focus on our own needs before our spouses and become selfish that's when our marriage starts to suffer. Read the book "His needs, Her needs," it's a marriage saver for sure.

Upvote 0