Missouri
✟37,039.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
Ive come to the conclusion that I'm not truly saved because I haven't displayed any fruits of the spirit. I don't see Christ as supremely valuable, and I only do good works to ease my guilty conscience. I don't thirst for the Word of God, and I have no desire to commune with the Lord. In fact, I really dislike prayer and Scripture reading, and I avoid it like the plague. I intellectually believe thr Gospel, but it hasn't penetrated my heart.

My question is, what do I do now? How do I get saved for real?

2PhiloVoid

Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,132,868.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Ive come to the conclusion that I'm not truly saved because I haven't displayed any fruits of the spirit. I don't see Christ as supremely valuable, and I only do good works to ease my guilty conscience. I don't thirst for the Word of God, and I have no desire to commune with the Lord. In fact, I really dislike prayer and Scripture reading, and I avoid it like the plague. I intellectually believe thr Gospel, but it hasn't penetrated my heart.

Hi cerulean,

If it were me in this position, I'd probably try to think more deeply about two things: 1) Who do I think Jesus really is?, and 2) What specifically is it that I feel I want more than Him?

I'm not implying that simply answering these two questions will provide some kind of 'sudden' awakening that frees you (or anyone for that matter) from the sense of estrangement you feel at this moment. No, it won't solve that. But it can begin to enable you to expand your awareness of what may be transpiring in your own mind. It can also help you to more firmly wrestle with those 'ideas' or 'values' that are keeping you from connecting with the Christian faith in the way that we all need to do.

Upvote 0

Natsumi Lam

Preparer of the Bride
Site Supporter
Jan 31, 2015
✟120,306.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Well, how i look at it is there a those who are saved who need the milk of the Word, the meat and some who need a buffet with a combo of the two.

The milk is a basic learning of the relationship and information about the Word, God, Jesus and so on. Often, but not always, this is a honeymoon phase. Accompanied by passion and interest. But this is not always the case because some feel let down because they didnt feel a big change. This often leads to disinterest and sometimes distain.

The meat eaters have often found a subject of passion they strive and long for. They are developing that relationship.

With that being said...salvation ...in the beginning doesnt always have a feeling or drive in the start. Many times you have to train yourself in both the relationship, the drive and the Word. Just like starting to go to the gym.many times it starts out mental.

To answer about being saved for real...

1. even if the "feeling" isnt always there...with the often sliver of desire ..pray that Jesus will become the center, the drive and the love of your life. Accompanied by the sinner's prayer.

2. Find a subject of interest in that relationship and the Word. Study...even if it is mental at the start. Discipline yourself from the start.

3. Start just talking to Him.

4. Get with other like minded christians.

This...IMHO would be a starting place.

Upvote 0

A_Thinker

Site Supporter
Apr 23, 2004
Midwest
✟953,784.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Ive come to the conclusion that I'm not truly saved because I haven't displayed any fruits of the spirit. I don't see Christ as supremely valuable, and I only do good works to ease my guilty conscience. I don't thirst for the Word of God, and I have no desire to commune with the Lord. In fact, I really dislike prayer and Scripture reading, and I avoid it like the plague. I intellectually believe the Gospel, but it hasn't penetrated my heart.

I, too, would suggest that you seek a more intimate knowledge of Christ. Read the gospels (Matthew, Mark, Luke, John) to see what things He said, and what things He did. Jesus is, truly, the focus of the gospel.

This is an exercise I did as a young person ... and it immensely expanded and deepened my relationship with Christ ... to the heart.

Jesus said/says ...

"Come to Me, all you that labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.

Take my yoke upon you and learn of Me, for I am meek and lowly in spirit, and you shall find rest unto your souls.

For My yoke is easy ... and my burden is light." Matthew 11:28-30

Last edited:
Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,260,418.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
Just because you can't see any fruits of the Spirit does not mean they aren't there. Likewise, reading the Bible daily doesn't make you a Christian, either. Faith, trust in God, is what makes us a Christian.

Doing good works to ease your guilty conscience is unnecessary, since we are not justified by works, but by faith.

I mostly pray at church now days. Again, there is no rule as a Christian that you must pray a certain amount to evidence real faith.

Upvote 0

Dave L

Site Supporter
Jun 28, 2018
USA
✟580,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Martin Luther said in essence (Bondage of the Will p 100), it is only when we come to the end of ourselves and have nothing left we can do to secure our salvation, that we arrive at the position where God saves us.

Look outside of your self to God, and trust him to save you since you realize you cannot. You are in fact closer to the kingdom than many in church these days.

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,260,418.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
.. I don't see Christ as supremely valuable,

Dietrich Bonhoeffer once pointed out to his close friend Ebhard Bethge that it would be inappropriate to think about God all the time, for instance, if a husband were kissing his wife. God is meant to be a companion or accompaniment to our lives, not a slavemaster. In the Bible, God is called a helper (ezer), in the same way that Eve was a helper to Adam.

Jesus did not come to be served, but to serve. We should focus on God in that way.

Upvote 0

Wordkeeper

Oct 1, 2013
✟91,080.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

The problem of not seeing results is because you have the wrong paradigm.

You thought that you are going to heaven when you die because you believed jesus died and rose from the grave.

The right itch that you need to get scratched is that you are serving self interest for gains that mean nothing, or as the jargon puts it, serving mammon for treasure that perishes.

So how do you solve the problem? By serving God’s interest for gains that are substantive.

How would you know that doing so will actually result in “heavenly treasure”? Because when Jesus served God’s interest He actually benefited, in a substantial way.

Why should you believe something that happened a long time ago in a far away place? Because the Bible also told you what is the most important problem of your life, and offered a solution.

Upvote 0

Phil 1:21

Apr 3, 2017
United States
✟144,842.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

I'm confused. You want to get saved, but you have no desire to commune with the Lord. How exactly do you feel that would work?

• Useful
Reactions: Hazelelponi
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

cerulean

Site Supporter
Mar 2, 2018
Missouri
✟37,039.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
I'm confused. You want to get saved, but you have no desire to commune with the Lord. How exactly do you feel that would work?
I want to be saved from Hell, but I don't enjoy praying. I guess what I'm saying is that deep down, I want to enjoy the benefits of a relationship with God, but I don't love God enough to desire the relationship itself.

Upvote 0

Neostarwcc

We are saved purely by the work and grace of God.
Site Supporter
Dec 13, 2015
US
✟920,373.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married

I don't get it either prayer and reading the Bible is how we communicate with God and its very important. I myself am not in the daily habit of doing so but I do read/pray at least once a week or so. Sounds like the OP just wants a get out of hell free card.

• Agree
Upvote 0

cerulean

Site Supporter
Mar 2, 2018
Missouri
✟37,039.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
I don't get it either prayer and reading the Bible is how we communicate with God and its very important. I myself am not in the daily habit of doing so but I do read/pray at least once a week or so. Sounds like the OP just wants a get out of hell free card.
You're exactly right. But I don't know how to change that. That's why I'm asking for help, because I know that I don't have the right motivations, but I want to have the right motivations.

Upvote 0

A_Thinker

Site Supporter
Apr 23, 2004
Midwest
✟953,784.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I want to be saved from Hell, but I don't enjoy praying. I guess what I'm saying is that deep down, I want to enjoy the benefits of a relationship with God, but I don't love God enough to desire the relationship itself.

It is helpful to remember that God is responsible for every GOOD thing in our lives (i.e. love, beauty, friends, food, color, clothing, a home, health, etc.).

And you know that prayer is simply talking (and listening) to God, right ? Think of God as your father in heaven.

Start small. Each morning, thank Him for your blessings that day. Ask Him for guidance as you move through the day. Pray for others (particularly those that are having distress in their lives).

• Agree
Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married

Whatever your condition is at present, the door is always open to a genuine conversion at any time up until the moment of death. The standard advice is that faith comes by hearing the word of God (Scripture), which I presume includes your own study of it.

• Agree
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Neostarwcc

We are saved purely by the work and grace of God.
Site Supporter
Dec 13, 2015
US
✟920,373.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
You're exactly right. But I don't know how to change that. That's why I'm asking for help, because I know that I don't have the right motivations, but I want to have the right motivations.

Well I can answer that with my personal story. When I first came to Christ I didn't believe that he was God. In fact I didn't believe in the Trinity until almost a year ago. I believed he was the son of God. I didnt understand a lot of things and I was an atheist.

I just went to Jesus as a dirty rotten sinner who definitely didn't deserve salvation. I was saved and given the Holy Spirit that night solely based on Gods grace. Slowly over the course of time I found myself starting to do good works. I purchased a Bible and started reading it. I found myself wanting to pray to God more and more everyday. My wife (who is a Christian also) doesn't pray very much either. But that doesn't mean that she isn't saved she's just a "wicked and lazy servant" as Jesus puts it :p. Perhaps it will take a while for the Holy Spirit to change her too. Time will tell.

So... If you've already gone to Jesus for salvation and meant it you are saved. It will take a while for the Holy Spirit to change you into the Christian that God wants you to be. Sanctification doesn't happen overnight. But if you're unsure if you really meant it there are many sinners prayers online or you can come up with your own.

Upvote 0

Stabat Mater dolorosa

Jesus Christ today, yesterday and forever!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Somewhere up North
✟294,001.00
Country
Norway
Faith
Traditional. Cath.
Marital Status
Single

You need the sacraments. If you desire to live a full Christian life then I'll advice you to go visit your closest Orthodox church and make an appointment with a priest.
We need to have a church backing us up at times as we believe together and not solemnly like individual.

Sacraments is like the breath of God upon us. Without it it's very difficult.

Upvote 0

Wordkeeper

Oct 1, 2013
✟91,080.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The offer is not to save from hell but from pointless living.

Upvote 0

Phil 1:21

Apr 3, 2017
United States
✟144,842.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
We don't get the Kingdom without the King (Matthew 22:11-14).

• Agree
Upvote 0

cerulean

Site Supporter
Mar 2, 2018
Missouri
✟37,039.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
Well I can answer that with my personal story. When I first came to Christ I didn't believe that he was God. In fact I didn't believe in the Trinity until almost a year ago. I believed he was the son of God. I didnt understand a lot of things and I was an atheist.

I just went to Jesus as a dirty rotten sinner who definitely didn't deserve salvation. I was saved and given the Holy Spirit that night solely based on Gods grace. Slowly over the course of time I found myself starting to do good works. I purchased a Bible and started reading it. I found myself wanting to pray to God more and more everyday. My wife (who is a Christian also) doesn't pray very much either. But that doesn't mean that she isn't saved she's just a "wicked and lazy servant" as Jesus puts it :p.

So... If you've already gone to Jesus for salvation and meant it you are saved. It will take a while for the Holy Spirit to change you into the Christian that God wants you to be. Sanctification doesn't happen overnight. But if you're unsure if you really meant it there are many sinners prayers online or you can come up with your own.
Yeah, I'm still unsure. I've been a "Christian" for about a year now (yes, I know that's not a very long time), and I've seen very few changes in my spiritual life. When I first became a "Christian", there were definitely some changes. I started praying, reading the Bible, going to church, and I turned from my homosexuality and other sexual sins. But after that, I kind of hit a plateau. I stopped growing and I noticed that I didn't have a strong desire to share the Gospel. And it was all downhill from there. That's why I think I'm not saved.

Upvote 0