Make me an instrument of Peace and Safety
Aug 22, 2008
Washington
✟16,006.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Police across North America are using tasers to force compliance when they should only be used to diffuse a potentially violent confrontation. Here is a perfect example of this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NQXoczxzwYk

While the man yelling, "I want Jesus!" may have been oblivious to the police officers, he posed no potential threat. One cop could have cuffed him for disturbing the peace while the other cop held a taser to prevent any violent confrontation. This was pure thuggery by a couple of bullies with police badges.

Upvote 0

New_Found_Faith

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2004
✟30,978.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Coincidentally, in my public speaking class someone presented a speech today about police brutality.

There should be a no tolerance policy for this kind of abuse of power. The police need to know that if they taze anyone under any circumstances, they risk losing their jobs and possibly criminal charges. There should be a burden of proof on the PD to prove that there was significant danger that forced them to defend themselves or others with their weapons to prevent this abuse.

That kind of a policy would not cause an officer to hesitate to protect himself (or herself), but certainly they would think twice about pulling out a tazer in an inappropriate situation.

Upvote 0

jellybean99

Make me an instrument of Peace and Safety
Aug 22, 2008
Washington
✟16,006.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Coincidentally, in my public speaking class someone presented a speech today about police brutality.

There should be a no tolerance policy for this kind of abuse of power. The police need to know that if they taze anyone under any circumstances, they risk losing their jobs and possibly criminal charges. There should be a burden of proof on the PD to prove that there was significant danger that forced them to defend themselves or others with their weapons to prevent this abuse.

That kind of a policy would not cause an officer to hesitate to protect himself (or herself), but certainly they would think twice about pulling out a tazer in an inappropriate situation.

In a pre-911 world, you may have had the majority of politicians and police agree with such a policy. However, since 9/11, the Constitution and civil liberties have been replaced by the Patriot Act and "national security" concerns.

Much brutality and countless civil rights violations have been committed under the cloak of anti-terrorist measures. I don't see that changing anytime in near future.

Upvote 0

New_Found_Faith

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2004
✟30,978.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
In a pre-911 world, you may have had the majority of politicians and police agree with such a policy. However, since 9/11, the Constitution and civil liberties have been replaced by the Patriot Act and "national security" concerns.

Much brutality and countless civil rights violations have been committed under the cloak of anti-terrorist measures. I don't see that changing anytime in near future.

I don't know about that. With a democratic white house & congress its possible that we could see something done about the PA.

But I could be naive.

Upvote 0

Zoness

667, neighbor of the beast
Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2008
Illinois
✟468,399.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Married

This post ^

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

monmon

Jesus Freak
Dec 21, 2008
✟7,637.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Police across North America are using tasers to force compliance when they should only be used to diffuse a potentially violent confrontation. Here is a perfect example of this.

While the man yelling, "I want Jesus!" may have been oblivious to the police officers, he posed no potential threat. One cop could have cuffed him for disturbing the peace while the other cop held a taser to prevent any violent confrontation. This was pure thuggery by a couple of bullies with police badges.

watching the video, i thought it was totally unnecessary of them to do what they did. I mean she looked threatened by them, i think a simpler way of handling things would be to confront her and just try to sort things out. She probably wouldnt feel less threatened by them, then maybe things would go smoothly. I think those weapons should only be used in serious cases, and this case didnt seem so serious to extend that they had to do what they did.

Upvote 0

AnswersforChrist

Site Supporter
Jan 15, 2009
✟22,898.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
This story doesn't make a lick of sense to me. I don't understand why a police officer who usually would come with more than himself, would need to use a taser on a person in order to make them stop shouting. In religious confrontations when Ive seen disorderly conduct, but Ive never seeb a police officer use a taser on anyone. The first thing that officer would do is to handle the person by force and put some in a cop car and send them some mental institution, or calm them down and call there parents. This is just a ridiculous amount of force to be used for someone who doesn't have any weapons on them.

Upvote 0

andy4848

Jan 18, 2009
✟15,122.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
"Holyfield became combative when officers tried to calm him, then was shot with a stun gun after ignoring their warnings to comply with their commands, police said. He was shot a second time when he continued struggling, police said."

lol i missed that bit first time i read it.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

AnswersforChrist

Site Supporter
Jan 15, 2009
✟22,898.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
"Holyfield became combative when officers tried to calm him, then was shot with a stun gun after ignoring their warnings to comply with their commands, police said. He was shot a second time when he continued struggling, police said."

"lol i missed that bit first time i read it."

I still don't think a stun gun was the best choice for the situation. Especially if there was more than one officer. I think stunning people is a cop out for officers that aren't skilled at hand to hand combat like they should be.

Upvote 0

Detai

Mar 2, 2009
✟316.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
OP...

It seems pretty obvious that our police and our government are getting out of hand. I just had to endure one of our local towns gestapo checkpoints where they randomly stop you, check your papers and so forth with tow trucks standing by in case they decide to take your car. It has inspired me to go to law school because somebody needs to be fighting these kinds of things. They may have been appropriate for Hitler's Germany, but they should not happen in America.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.