Apr 26, 2013
✟247,431.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
And what exactly do you know about faculty handbooks? Have you ever been involved in writing one? I have.

They are public records, whether they have to be in a private institution or not is irrelevant. I don't think you realize how Faculty Handbooks are compiled and how impossible it would be to keep them confidential even if you wanted to. Faculty Senates and the Administration consult together on the contents of the Faculty Handbook. And us faculty are like cats, we can't be herded. You see unlike employees in other types of institutions, we are paid to be independent thinkers.

My experience is with the corporate side of things, not with the university environment, but in regards to following entity policies and how they impact an employee, there is virtually no difference, because both include employment law.

In regards to a "faculty handbook", I would imagine you are talking about the equivalent of what an employer would call a "employee handbook", which would include the policy's of the company and or university etc. etc..

I will say again, private institutions, have no obligation, to make their policies public, but may or may not care if an employee shares the contents of the employee handbook. Some companies, consider the contents of the same confidential information and will have you sign a document agreeing not to share the information. Other times, they will have you sign a document, that simply states you agree to follow the policies in the employee handbook.

In this particular case, dealing with a university professor, in a private religious institution, I would almost guarantee, the professor signed a document that is indeed confidential and is a document that ties the professor to the institutions policies, theology and statement of faith and it basically shows the professor has agreed to abide by the same. This document may also, lay out more specific parameters, that define what is allowed and what is not allowed behavior by the professor. Since many legal cases of employee/employer disputes can be cleared up much easier when specific language is agreed to by the employee, a institution with the strong religious bend of a Wheaton College, more than likely has language that addresses this issue, that is more specific than the statement of faith, found on the website.

Lastly, and I repeat, if there is a legal dispute in this case, the employee agreement that the professor signed, is all that will really matter, in determining who may be right or who may be wrong, if indeed Wheaton College fires this professor.

Reactions: RDKirk
Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
And what exactly do you know about faculty handbooks? Have you ever been involved in writing one? I have.

They are public records, whether they have to be in a private institution or not is irrelevant.
That's not irrelevant, as bhsmte explained. However, that's not the whole of the issue.

You had maintained that the faculty handbook (or whatever that kind of document might be called in the particular institution) would be available on the college's main website ("If you know where to look you can find their faculty handbook right on their website."). That's not what you're saying now, and I believe you have moved in the right direction with the change.

Upvote 0

bhsmte

Apr 26, 2013
✟247,431.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

That's alright, no big deal.

Even if the Wheaton faculty handbook is available to the public, the only document that really matters in this issue, is the instrument the professor signed that ties them to and states they agree to follow Wheaton College policies/statement of faith etc...

When it comes to Christian colleges, Wheaton College is on the very conservative side of the picture. For instance, this article about the gay marriage thing gives you a little insight.

https://www.insidehighered.com/views/2015/08/17/essay-gay-faculty-member-christian-college

Reactions: Belk
Upvote 0

Blondepudding

Who Sprinkled You With Grumpy Dust?
Dec 26, 2015
Here and now
✟19,720.00
Faith
Ignostic
Marital Status
Married
This PDF is the correct Wheaton College - Wheaton Illinois

Any contract a professor would sign would pertain to the fact that Wheaton is a Christian religious college. It's a derail that some interject in trying to imply no such language would appear in such a contract. Especially when a political science Professor already professed they were Christian.

Let's move past the derail effort and keep to the topic.

Upvote 0

bhsmte

Apr 26, 2013
✟247,431.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
This PDF is the correct Wheaton College - Wheaton Illinois

Any contract a professor would sign would pertain to the fact that Wheaton is a Christian religious college. It's a derail that some interject in trying to imply no such language would appear in such a contract. Especially when a political science Professor already professed they were Christian.

Let's move past the derail effort and keep to the topic.

And as I have stated numerous times, none of us know the contents of the actual employment agreement this professor signed with Wheaton College. Again, these are typically strictly confidential documents and can only be shared with your attorney and or a court of law, if there is a legal dispute.

Upvote 0

bhsmte

Apr 26, 2013
✟247,431.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
And as has been stated, it is idiotic to imagine a Christian college would not have anything related to faith in a contract with their staff. So if it's a non issue stop bringing it up. It's really rather simple.

I agree.

I would be shocked if the employment agreement did not have specific language pertaining to Wheaton College's theology and the expectations of the employee to follow this theology in a certain manner.

What we don't know, is the language in this document, whether a court of law would recognize the agreement as partially binding, completely binding to the employee or not at all and how it relates to the matter at hand, from the eyes of a judge.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

smaneck

Baha'i
Sep 29, 2010
Jackson, MS
✟55,644.00
Faith
Baha'i
Marital Status
Single
Certainly the Qur'an doesn't. But the new testament bible does.

The Tanakh does not, and that's why I'm saying Islam has more in common with Christianity than does Judaism.

And the Septuagint refers to the beloved son or thine only son, (of god).

Where it does it is invariably referring to Israel.
Again, the Qur'an has no such reference because the claim there is Allah had no son.

It has no problem with metaphorical references as are found in the Tanakh. It first condemns the notion Allah had three daughters (as the Arabs believed.) That is who the verse "God does no begat, nor is He begotten" was originally aimed at. Only later was it applied to Christian beliefs.

Therefore, this professor would be wrong in claiming Christians and Muslims worship the same god when Islam states god has no son.

And the same would still stand for Judaism because Jews don't take the reference to Israel being God's son literally.

Upvote 0

smaneck

Baha'i
Sep 29, 2010
Jackson, MS
✟55,644.00
Faith
Baha'i
Marital Status
Single
And as has been stated, it is idiotic to imagine a Christian college would not have anything related to faith in a contract with their staff. So if it's a non issue stop bringing it up. It's really rather simple.

Uh, that is actually not the case. While I'm quite sure that Wheaton required its faculty to sign a statement of faith as reflected on their website, I'm also quite sure that this professor did not believe she was violating that statement. But beyond that there are plenty of Christian colleges that do not require faculty to sign statements of faith. While I had to turn down appointments at Carson-Newman College and Seattle Pacific University due to their statements of faith, I worked at three other Christian colleges without having to do so, namely the University of the South (Episcopalian), Berry College, and Stetson University (Baptist.)

Upvote 0

TheBear

NON-WOKED
Jan 2, 2002
✟304,171.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
BBnDbww.img

A tenured political science professor at Wheaton College, an evangelical university outside Chicago, has been suspended after she wrote in a Facebook post that Muslims and Christians worship the same God.

Dr. Larycia Hawkins wrote on the social media site on Dec. 10 that she was donning the hijab head scarf during the period of advent before Christmas as a sign of solidarity with Muslims. In her post she said "we worship the same God." MSN Article Continues

I thought this was something the Judeo-Christian faiths, especially the Vatican, thought was true too.

Too funny! ^_^

Upvote 0

smaneck

Baha'i
Sep 29, 2010
Jackson, MS
✟55,644.00
Faith
Baha'i
Marital Status
Single
In regards to a "faculty handbook", I would imagine you are talking about the equivalent of what an employer would call a "employee handbook", which would include the policy's of the company and or university etc. etc..

It includes those things but probably goes much further.

I will say again, private institutions, have no obligation, to make their policies public

I didn't say they were obligated, I just say they did. You have to understand that accredited institutions of higher learning have to answer to bodies other than the government.

In this particular case, dealing with a university professor, in a private religious institution, I would almost guarantee, the professor signed a document that is indeed confidential and is a document that ties the professor to the institutions policies, theology and statement of faith and it basically shows the professor has agreed to abide by the same.

As I indicated, I'm sure she did sign a statement of faith, but it is the same statement that appears on the website.

This document may also, lay out more specific parameters, that define what is allowed and what is not allowed behavior by the professor.

There is a morals clause, if that is what you mean. But I believe that is a matter of public record as well, embodied in Wheaton's Community Covenant:

http://www.wheaton.edu/about-wheaton/community-covenant

Since many legal cases of employee/employer disputes can be cleared up much easier when specific language is agreed to by the employee, a institution with the strong religious bend of a Wheaton College, more than likely has language that addresses this issue, that is more specific than the statement of faith, found on the website.

There is no evidence of that and from what I know of practices of higher education it is quite unlikely that this is the case. Rather the Wheaton Administration insists they have the sole prerogative to interpret the statement of faith.

Lastly, and I repeat, if there is a legal dispute in this case, the employee agreement that the professor signed, is all that will really matter, in determining who may be right or who may be wrong, if indeed Wheaton College fires this professor.[/QUOTE]

Upvote 0

Crystal C

HAVE YOU SURVIVED ALL IN ORDER TO HATE?
Jan 1, 2016
PAH
✟7,888.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Considering who she consulted with about the donning of the hijab, I think this was her intention. To be removed from her office so she could stand for Islam.

Hopefully the college will prevail and she'll stay gone.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

smaneck

Baha'i
Sep 29, 2010
Jackson, MS
✟55,644.00
Faith
Baha'i
Marital Status
Single
Considering who she consulted with about the donning of the hijab, I think this was her intention.

I'm not sure who you are talking about, but if she consulting with a Muslim I'm guessing it was to make sure they would not find it offensive. I'm not sure why you caste aspersions on that act. I see no indication she wishes to convert to Islam.

Upvote 0

bhsmte

Apr 26, 2013
✟247,431.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
It includes those things but probably goes much further.

I didn't say they were obligated, I just say they did. You have to understand that accredited institutions of higher learning have to answer to bodies other than the government.

As I indicated, I'm sure she did sign a statement of faith, but it is the same statement that appears on the website.

There is a morals clause, if that is what you mean. But I believe that is a matter of public record as well, embodied in Wheaton's Community Covenant:

http://www.wheaton.edu/about-wheaton/community-covenant

There is no evidence of that and from what I know of practices of higher education it is quite unlikely that this is the case. Rather the Wheaton Administration insists they have the sole prerogative to interpret the statement of faith.

Lastly, and I repeat, if there is a legal dispute in this case, the employee agreement that the professor signed, is all that will really matter, in determining who may be right or who may be wrong, if indeed Wheaton College fires this professor.
[/QUOTE]

That's cool, we just disagree on some points.

Upvote 0

Crystal C

HAVE YOU SURVIVED ALL IN ORDER TO HATE?
Jan 1, 2016
PAH
✟7,888.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I'm not sure who you are talking about, but if she consulting with a Muslim I'm guessing it was to make sure they would not find it offensive. I'm not sure why you caste aspersions on that act. I see no indication she wishes to convert to Islam.
If you would have read the article in first post you'd have no doubt who I'm speaking of.

Upvote 0