US
✟90,092.00
Country
United States
Faith
Apostolic
Marital Status
In Relationship
I'll be turning 27 in a few weeks. I haven't gotten anywhere in life and I feel like it's too late to do anything now. I feel like if I didn't get married, have kids, get a 50k a year job, and get a sizeable savings, travel all by my current age then it's pointless to try. I feel too old for everything now. I would always see blonde sorority type girls get married at 22 in college. I just feel like I was born to just exist and nothing else. The highlight of my day was crying in the bathroom of my retail pharmacy job I can't stand and wonder why my whole life is a waste.

Last edited:
  • Prayers
Reactions: “Paisios”

Rescued One

...yet not I, but the grace of God that is with me
Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟80,125.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
I'll be turning 27 in a few weeks. I haven't gotten anywhere in life and I feel like it's too late to do anything now. I feel like if I didn't get married to a successful man, have kids, get a 50k a year job, and get a sizeable savings, travel all by my current age then it's pointless to try. I feel too old for everything now. I would always see blonde sorority type girls get married at 22 in college. I just feel like I was born to just exist and nothing else. The highlight of my day was crying in the bathroom of my retail pharmacy job I can't stand and wonder why my whole life is a waste.

A Christian's life is never a waste. Read your Bible and you will see all kinds if possibilities to bless others!

As a child I often prayed a prayer written by Matilda Betham-Edwards:

1 God make my life a little light
Within the world to glow;
A little flame that burneth bright,
Wherever I may go.

2 God make my life a little flower
That giveth joy to all,
Content to bloom in native bower,
Although the place be small.

3 God make my life a little song
That comforteth the sad,
That helpeth others to be strong,
And makes the singer glad.

4 God make my life a little staff
Whereon the weak my rest,
That so what health and strength I have
May serve my neighbors best.

5 God make my life a little hymn
Of tenderness and praise,
Of faith, that never waxeth dim,
In all His wondrous ways.

Amen.

Betham-Edwards was the fourth daughter of a farmer, Edward Edwards (c.1808–1864) and his wife Barbara (1806–1848), daughter of William Betham (1749–1839), an antiquary and cleric. She was educated in Ipswich and as a governess-pupil at a school in London. [1]

Her biography is here:
Matilda Betham-Edwards - Wikipedia

I bought the prayer book at a dime store with my $1 a month allowance. My parents weren't Christians, but God had other plans for me.

Upvote 0

timewerx

the village i--o--t--
Aug 31, 2012
✟299,820.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Sorry to hear.

You can quit social networking (facebook, instagram, etc......well, except for CF!) :D

Detoxify yourself from these evils and start speaking good things to yourself even if it looks embarrassing. Have a lot more patience and stop comparing yourself to others (this is why I asked you to quit social media) This is the key to contentment in the modern age.

It worked so well for me. You know my story. A lot of people serve the devil without them knowing it so you're not really that worse off than many. And things will get better as you mature. 27 is not the end. I experienced your problems in my 30's sounds worse. You got to take control of your mind.

Don't let the things you see make you feel bad. They're supposed to make you feel bad because we live in an evil world (1 John 5:19) so you'll have to resist it.

Things will get better if you do. At least it will make you feel better about yourself despite your circumstances. It is attractive to other other people and who knows, you'll meet your "perfect" guy although I'm not guaranteeing it. Would help your chances though.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

royal priest

debtor to grace
Nov 1, 2015
Northeast, USA
✟188,924.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Psalms 42:5
Why are you cast down, O my soul,
and why are you in turmoil within me?
Hope in God; for I shall again praise him,
my salvation and my God.

“Have you realized that most of your unhappiness in life is due to the fact that you are listening to yourself instead of talking to yourself? Take those thoughts that come to you the moment you wake up in the morning. You have not originated them but they are talking to you, they bring back the problems of yesterday, etc. Somebody is talking. Who is talking to you? Your self is talking to you. Now this man’s treatment [in Psalm 42] was this: instead of allowing this self to talk to him, he starts talking to himself. “Why art thou cast down, O my soul?” he asks. His soul had been depressing him, crushing him. So he stands up and says, “Self, listen for moment, I will speak to you.”
― Martyn Lloyd-Jones

Reactions: johncw123
Upvote 0

maintenance man

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2018
California
Visit site
✟485,792.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I feel too old for everything now.

I've felt that way many times in my life. It simply isn't true - and you know that.

All those things you listed can happen at 30, 40, 50 and beyond.

And believe me, once you've done them they won't seem like such a big deal anymore.

May I suggest you take the attention off of yourself by finding a way to serve others?

Set a goal to serve others in some capacity - volunteer, help at church, help friends or family - focus on helping others get where they want to go and you will likely discover a new path for yourself going forward.

I've already said a prayer for you. May you be greatly blessed!

Upvote 0

MariaJLM

Crazy Cat Lady
Aug 1, 2018
Calgary
✟50,815.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
CA-Others
I'll be turning 27 in a few weeks. I haven't gotten anywhere in life and I feel like it's too late to do anything now. I feel like if I didn't get married, have kids, get a 50k a year job, and get a sizeable savings, travel all by my current age then it's pointless to try. I feel too old for everything now. I would always see blonde sorority type girls get married at 22 in college. I just feel like I was born to just exist and nothing else. The highlight of my day was crying in the bathroom of my retail pharmacy job I can't stand and wonder why my whole life is a waste.

Are you me? I'm in a very similar boat. I'm 27 and without even a job. I have nothing.

Upvote 0

Poppyseed78

Site Supporter
Sep 13, 2016
US
✟275,982.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I'm late to chime in, but you are still so young at 27! Regarding marriage, I know many people who didn't get married until well into their 30s, and they still had kids, just later. Life doesn't end at an arbitrary age. You can accomplish a lot in life still. Many people don't settle into their careers until their 30s, and many people change their careers entirely around that age. Try to enjoy life as much as you can and do small things each day that will bring you closer to your goals.

Upvote 0

Babe Ruth

Nov 10, 2017
Southeastern USA
✟55,065.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Angel,.. I feel your existential angst.. but 27 is still pretty early in the game.
My (unsolicited) advice, set small goals for desired improvement. Take 'em one day at a time, gradually progressing. In a few years you'll see a cumulative improvement. We're rooting for u..
I've worked jobs I hated for years at a time, but found objectives outside of work that gave/give me fulfillment.

Upvote 0

salt-n-light

Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2017
Rosedale
✟165,859.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate

That's societal pressures. I get it, because I'm also 27 and I can feel like that, but then God wakes me up.

Look at all you have listed, and tell me which one of those items is a requirement to be with God when you die? Which one of those things secure your soul and guarantee you peace and joy?

Is it marriage?
Kids?
A 50K a year job?
A sizeable savings?
Traveling?

These are not bad things, but that is what they are, things. Things that you see yourself feeling fulfilled if you have, but they are not fulfilling, they are fleeting. The advantage of where you are, as oppose blonde soror married people have, is having that insight and the space to have insight. Those are sweets, candies, but they are not nutritious, you know what is nutritious? Fruits.

Galatians 5:22-23
22 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, forbearance, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23 gentleness and self-control. Against such things there is no law.

This is bore out of your relationship with God, and Him only. And through that relationship, everything else will be added to you according to His riches in glory. If you keep your soul healthy, you will bore healthy fruits, and in turn, will bring about healthy encounters, which im guessing that is what you are desiring. But if you keep just desiring sweets, you'll only run on sugar highs, and it brings about a crash in the end.

• Winner
Reactions: Angeleyes7715
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

AliveinChrist99

AliveinChrist99
Nov 3, 2018
England
✟18,462.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
There’s plenty of time for you don’t worry, I like what was said in an earlier reply, set small goals
Pray for God’s will in things but imagine what you want to do and each day take a step towards it, we can all plan our future but God determines what path we take
So trust in him, he will guide you
God bless you

Upvote 0

Angeleyes7715

Dec 13, 2015
US
✟90,092.00
Country
United States
Faith
Apostolic
Marital Status
In Relationship
That's societal pressures. I get it, because I'm also 27 and I can feel like that, but then God wakes me up.

Look at all you have listed, and tell me which one of those items is a requirement to be with God when you die? Which one of those things secure your soul and guarantee you peace and joy?

Is it marriage?
Kids?
A 50K a year job?
A sizeable savings?
Traveling?

These are not bad things, but that is what they are, things. Things that you see yourself feeling fulfilled if you have, but they are not fulfilling, they are fleeting. The advantage of where you are, as oppose blonde soror married people have, is having that insight and the space to have insight. Those are sweets, candies, but they are not nutritious, you know what is nutritious? Fruits.

Galatians 5:22-23
22 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, forbearance, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23 gentleness and self-control. Against such things there is no law.

This is bore out of your relationship with God, and Him only. And through that relationship, everything else will be added to you according to His riches in glory. If you keep your soul healthy, you will bore healthy fruits, and in turn, will bring about healthy encounters, which im guessing that is what you are desiring. But if you keep just desiring sweets, you'll only run on sugar highs, and it brings about a crash in the end.

This helps. Eh I'm just in a funk I guess.

Upvote 0

SleepingAtLast

Dec 11, 2018
Here
✟26,543.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
AngelEyes, it is far from too late for you. You have at least 2/3 of your life remaining, if not more. Tons of people aren't married by age 27, let alone have kids or a house. Most people don't hit their stride in their careers until their mid-30's or later.

There is so much out there to experience. It is completely understandable to be in a funk, and I have felt that way myself some days, but don't allow yourself to remain there. It isn't too late to pursue your passions and take steps toward the things that you want to accomplish or the things you feel God is calling you to. I'm sorry it has been such a rough time, but I hope you won't give up.

Upvote 0