Pennsylvania
✟5,318.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Most people are unwilling (and even unable) to talk about any subject that is "negative" or controversial. They will say that it is "unpleasant" or "unhappy." They don't want to "ruin their day." It upsets their "equilibrium" etc etc etc. Why is this?

In the 60's, there appeared a cultural system of thought known as the "new age movement." There were many so-called gurus/teachers (Ram Das, Krishnamurti, Maharishi XYZ, Deepak Chopra to name a few) who made a million bucks telling people that by sitting on their hands and chanting [insert Eastern religious syllables here], one can achieve spiritual enlightenment and make the world a better place. They said things like "the world is only maya; an illusion," and "be here now." They talked with pious, solemn tones as they blissfully looked into the eyes of their bewildered and curious students as they asked them to make a donation to help perpetuate the great teaching. The streets were then paved with crystals and unicorns once again walked the earth.

Today, ask anyone what they think of [controversial topic X] and you might get "it's all good" as a reply. They might say something about what/who they heard on the Oprah Winfrey show. But more than likely they will do a "let's return to reality" type thing and minimize any so-called negativity to make it all disappear. For them.

I compiled a list of deceptions perpetuated by so-called "new age" movement and it's gurus and teachers. Here are the first three:

1. "Ignore the negative." Maybe it will go away.

The truth is this: the negativity won't ever go away due to simply ignoring it. More specifically, ignoring the crimes committed by violent and ruthless people is a 100% guarantee that their crimes will continue. And because of the natural propensity of momentum... it will only get worse and it will never get better. Unless people stop ignoring them.

Jesus said, "So do not be afraid of them, for there is nothing concealed that will not be disclosed, or hidden that will not be made known. What I tell you in the dark, speak in the daylight; what is whispered in your ear, proclaim from the roofs." ~ Matthew 10:26-27

Jesus said, "Woe to you experts in the law, because you have taken away the key to knowledge. You yourselves have not entered, and you have hindered those who were entering." ~ Luke 11:52

2. "Never get angry." Anger is "negative" even when there are very good reasons to be angry.

The truth is this: Righteous indignation (ie anger) is necessary to stop crimes and injustices committed by the evil minions of Satan. They are literally operating with impunity now and that is entirely due to ignorance.

After all, Jesus was never righteously indignant. Oh wait, he was... a lot.

"Woe to you, teachers of the law and Pharisees, you hypocrites! You are like whitewashed tombs, which look beautiful on the outside but on the inside are full of the bones of the dead and everything unclean." ~ Matthew 23:27

"Jesus entered the temple courts and drove out all who were buying and selling there. He overturned the tables of the money changers and the benches of those selling doves. ~ Matthew 21:12

I think people today would say that Christ had "anger issues" if he was here now and suggest medication and/or confinement. Or maybe the CIA would try to take him out.

3. "It's all good." i.e. Seeing the difference between Right and Wrong is "dualistic thinking."

The truth is this:
It is definitely not "all good" otherwise there would be no such thing as "sin." And, if it were really "all good," why is there so much suffering in the world?

Some people would suggest that suffering is good for the sufferer (ie Romans 5). That is usually suggested by those who aren't doing the suffering.<staff edit>

Most of the suffering is caused by Satan's minions exercising their "free will." I would go so far as to say that the new age movement was no accident and was brought about directly by said minions who are conniving and devious in the extreme.

The Bible says, "If you see any brother or sister commit a sin that does not lead to death, you should pray and God will give them life. I refer to those whose sin does not lead to death. There is a sin that leads to death. I am not saying that you should pray about that. All wrongdoing is sin, and there is sin that does not lead to death." ~ 1 John 5:16-17

What is the "sin that leads to death?" Most Christians would say that it is blasphemy against the Holy Spirit and that may very well be it, but that is not conclusive. After all, doesn't murder lead to death? Could that be what it means?

Regardless of the meaning of this passage, it is still definitely not "all good." I don't see how anyone can sit idly by while others (Christians or not) suffer at the hands of real terrorists (ie governments and their order-followers).

"Be careful," Jesus warned them. "Watch out for the yeast of the Pharisees and that of Herod." ~ Mark 8:15

Last edited by a moderator:

danstribe

Mar 30, 2013
✟24,205.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I remember when my daughter was little and she kept pulling at a button on my shirt, I slapped her hand and said"No" this other lady told me I should not use negatives to teach my daughter. I said I wanted her to know what "No" meant and the consequences of not obeying; it could save her life! Your post is very timely.

Upvote 0

Godlovesmetwo

Fringe Catholic
Mar 16, 2016
Antwerp
✟17,860.00
Country
Djibouti
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
That is usually suggested by those who aren't doing the suffering.
I'm sitting here at home struggling to eat bacon and egg sandwiches and type at the same time. I know what suffering is, surely. :)

Upvote 0

Winken

Heimat
Site Supporter
Sep 24, 2010
✟168,847.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I think people today would say that Christ had "anger issues" if he was here now and suggest medication and/or confinement. Or maybe the CIA would try to take him out.

He is here, now. And He is assailed moment-by-moment.

<staff edit>

I don't see how anyone can sit idly by while others (Christians or not) suffer at the hands of real terrorists (ie governments and their order-followers).
Should we invade those governments, kill all their order-followers? World War III?

What is a Gnostic-Christian? Should we be careful of them?

Upvote 0

Cearbhall

May 10, 2013
United States
✟122,284.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
In the 60's, there appeared a cultural system of thought known as the "new age movement." There were many so-called gurus/teachers (Ram Das, Krishnamurti, Maharishi XYZ, Deepak Chopra to name a few) who made a million bucks telling people that by sitting on their hands and chanting [insert Eastern religious syllables here], one can achieve spiritual enlightenment and make the world a better place. They said things like "the world is only maya; an illusion," and "be here now." They talked with pious, solemn tones as they blissfully looked into the eyes of their bewildered and curious students as they asked them to make a donation to help perpetuate the great teaching. The streets were then paved with crystals and unicorns once again walked the earth.
It wasn't anything new, though. It simply became more mainstream in Western culture during that time, partly in reaction to certain events.
Today, ask anyone what they think of [controversial topic X] and you might get "it's all good" as a reply.
I have to be honest, I haven't experienced this.
The truth is this: It is definitely not "all good" otherwise there would be no such thing as "sin."
I agree that it's not "all good," but not everyone believes in the concept of "sin." I don't.

Upvote 0

Gnostic_Christian

Feb 13, 2017
Pennsylvania
✟5,318.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I remember when my daughter was little and she kept pulling at a button on my shirt, I slapped her hand and said"No" this other lady told me I should not use negatives to teach my daughter. I said I wanted her to know what "No" meant and the consequences of not obeying; it could save her life! Your post is very timely.
"No" is a powerful word and that is why they have subverted it through mind control. Just get everyone to stop saying it. Your daughter has a good teacher. Thanks.

Upvote 0

Gnostic_Christian

Feb 13, 2017
Pennsylvania
✟5,318.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I'm sitting here at home struggling to eat bacon and egg sandwiches and type at the same time. I know what suffering is, surely. :)
And those pigs and chickens know too. "Bacon tastes good. Pork chops taste good." I have "slippages."

Last edited:
Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

For the first year of his life my son thought his name was "No!" ;)

• Haha
Reactions: danstribe
Upvote 0

quatona

"God"? What do you mean??
May 15, 2005
✟175,292.00
Faith
Seeker
Most people are unwilling (and even unable) to talk about any subject that is "negative" or controversial. They will say that it is "unpleasant" or "unhappy." They don't want to "ruin their day." It upsets their "equilibrium" etc etc etc. Why is this?

Today, ask anyone what they think of [controversial topic X] and you might get "it's all good" as a reply. They might say something about what/who they heard on the Oprah Winfrey show. But more than likely they will do a "let's return to reality" type thing and minimize any so-called negativity to make it all disappear. For them.

I compiled a list of deceptions perpetuated by so-called "new age" movement and it's gurus and teachers. Here are the first three:

The truth is this: the negativity won't ever go away due to simply ignoring it. More specifically, ignoring the crimes committed by violent and ruthless people is a 100% guarantee that their crimes will continue. And because of the natural propensity of momentum... it will only get worse and it will never get better. Unless people stop ignoring them.

Jesus said, "So do not be afraid of them, for there is nothing concealed that will not be disclosed, or hidden that will not be made known. What I tell you in the dark, speak in the daylight; what is whispered in your ear, proclaim from the roofs." ~ Matthew 10:26-27

Jesus said, "Woe to you experts in the law, because you have taken away the key to knowledge. You yourselves have not entered, and you have hindered those who were entering." ~ Luke 11:52

2. "Never get angry." Anger is "negative" even when there are very good reasons to be angry.

The truth is this: Righteous indignation (ie anger) is necessary to stop crimes and injustices committed by the evil minions of Satan. They are literally operating with impunity now and that is entirely due to ignorance.

After all, Jesus was never righteously indignant. Oh wait, he was... a lot.

"Woe to you, teachers of the law and Pharisees, you hypocrites! You are like whitewashed tombs, which look beautiful on the outside but on the inside are full of the bones of the dead and everything unclean." ~ Matthew 23:27

"Jesus entered the temple courts and drove out all who were buying and selling there. He overturned the tables of the money changers and the benches of those selling doves. ~ Matthew 21:12

3. "It's all good." i.e. Seeing the difference between Right and Wrong is "dualistic thinking."

The truth is this:
It is definitely not "all good" otherwise there would be no such thing as "sin." And, if it were really "all good," why is there so much suffering in the world?

Some people would suggest that suffering is good for the sufferer (ie Romans 5). That is usually suggested by those who aren't doing the suffering.<staff edit>

Most of the suffering is caused by Satan's minions exercising their "free will." I would go so far as to say that the new age movement was no accident and was brought about directly by said minions who are conniving and devious in the extreme.

The Bible says, "If you see any brother or sister commit a sin that does not lead to death, you should pray and God will give them life. I refer to those whose sin does not lead to death. There is a sin that leads to death. I am not saying that you should pray about that. All wrongdoing is sin, and there is sin that does not lead to death." ~ 1 John 5:16-17

What is the "sin that leads to death?" Most Christians would say that it is blasphemy against the Holy Spirit and that may very well be it, but that is not conclusive. After all, doesn't murder lead to death? Could that be what it means?

Regardless of the meaning of this passage, it is still definitely not "all good." I don't see how anyone can sit idly by while others (Christians or not) suffer at the hands of real terrorists (ie governments and their order-followers).

"Be careful," Jesus warned them. "Watch out for the yeast of the Pharisees and that of Herod." ~ Mark 8:15
I hear "God created the world perfect, and everything that happens happens according to God´s wise plan" a lot.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Lulav

Y'shua is His Name
Aug 24, 2007
✟494,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
Closed for Review Sorry.jpg

Please stand by.....​

Upvote 0

dgiharris

Old Crusty Vet
Jan 9, 2013
✟131,531.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single

Because the VAST MAJORITY OF PEOPLE are incapable of changing their minds. So why argue a topic with someone when the end result will be you both just being angry at each other. This goes double for religious or political issues.

You are from political party XYZ and your party believes in QRS. If I were to argue with you about QRS and if I were to show you data and evidence that refutes QRS you aren't going to change your mind. You aren't going to acknowledge your party is wrong on this issue. No. what you are most likely to do is engage in logical fallacy, obfuscation, moving the goal posts, spin, misdirection, and a 100 other argumentative tricks that enable you to ignore the point I have proven.

There is good reason to not want to talk about controversial subjects especially in real life. Because majority of people can't change their minds, thus what good will come of it?

This is a very weak strawman of an argument you are constructing. There is a lot more to "New Age" philosophy. As with any philosophy there is good and bad. "Be here now" is very relevant because it forces you to focus on the now, particularly injustices that are happening "now". There is more but I'm not going to spend the next hour writing a book on New Age philosophy. First off, I'm not qualified.

The truth is this: the negativity won't ever go away due to simply ignoring it.
I agree. However realize that the tactic "ignore things we don't like and hope it will go away" is a tactic employed by everyone and both political parties on a variety of issues.

Take the GOP stance on health care. They want to implement a "first phase" which will cut healthcare for 24 million people and then they say, "Well,we will address the other issues in the second phase later..." which is kicking the can down the road which is ignoring the problem and hoping it goes away...

My point? this is a human thing and we all do it. This isn't limited to any one party or group of peoples.

The truth is this: Righteous indignation (ie anger) is necessary to stop crimes and injustices committed by the evil minions of Satan.

You are absolutely wrong on this subject. First off, when you are angry, your cognitive abilities reduce by 40% to 90% depending on how angry you are. Basically, the angrier you are quite literally the stupider you become. This is why when people argue and shout very rarely do they reach an agreement.

Secondly, I don't think trying to fight the evil minions of Satan with anger is the best way to go about it. They hold the patent on anger and negative emotions, I'd think that love and light are the best ways to beat Satan.

I shouldn't have to be "angry" to dispense justice or do what is right. Once upon a time I was a boxer. I fought many times and not once was I "angry". A lot of my opponents would "get themselves angry" so they could fight, they thought it made them fight harder. But the truth was, it made them less effective. While they are angry and stupid, I'm calm, collected, and smarter.

The truth is this:

I can't speak to your 3rd point because I don't understand the strawman you have created that you are then refuting?

I interpret the phrase "It's all good" to mean, "Hey, no need for us to get upset here because there is no problem or the problem is minor..."

In order to argue this, we'd need much better context.

Honestly, I believe there is tons of great stuff in "New Age Thinking" and I think a lot of things translate well to Christian beliefs and tenants. Not to say "it is all good" because there are definitely things I will read in New Age Thinking that I completely and totally disagree with. But in order to argue, we'd need much better context and perhaps something more concrete to argue than watered down points and strawmen arguments.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Fantine

Dona Quixote
Site Supporter
Jun 11, 2005
✟1,089,385.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
On the other hand, it seems that new age philosophy and more avant-garde Christian philosophy continually stresses the interconnection of all humanity (in the case of Christian philosophy, through God's presence in each one of us and in all humanity). In this belief system, it is imperative to take action when others are suffering because we are all part of the body of Christ. Our purpose on earth is relinquishing our egos, the cause of all our suffering, and recognizing our oneness.

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,260,112.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
"The New Age" is alot more complicated.

Avoiding negativity has alot more to do with happiness and wellbeing. Really, not everything needs to be so polemical, not all non-Christians are out to construct something anti-Christian. They don't need fundamentalist Christians to feel validated. Maybe that makes you upset. Get over yourself. It's not all about you. There were and are religions and ideas besides what comes out of the local Bible college.

Krishnamurti was not a guru, that concept goes against his renunciation of any claims to spiritual authority. In fact, he walked away from "a new age cult", Theosophy. He was set to be their new grand poobah, and he said "no", he didn't want to be part of duping people. Find out truth for yourself was what he preached.

Deepak Chopra is actually a medical doctor that became interested in how his own Hindu religion's mysticism could provide more wellbeing to people.

Reactions: Rajni
Upvote 0

Rajni

☯ Ego ad Eum pertinent ☯
Site Supporter
Dec 26, 2007
Visit site
✟1,240,887.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Single
Well, I must be "new age", then, since I live along the lines of the following:

I try to avoid "the news":

"He who stops his ears from hearing about bloodshed, and shuts his eyes from looking upon evil; he will dwell on the heights..." Isaiah 33:15-16​

I try to maintain a Philippians 4:8 focus:

"Finally, brothers and sisters, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable--if anything is excellent or praiseworthy--think about such things." Philippians 4:8​

Granted, "good", "evil", "right", "pure", "lovely", etc. can mean different things to different people. One person's "negative" could be another's "positive".

-

Upvote 0