✟906,114.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
2 Timothy 4:3
For the time will come when people will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear.

Jude 1:4
For certain individuals whose condemnation was written about long ago have secretly slipped in among you. They are ungodly people, who pervert the grace of our God into a license for immorality and deny Jesus Christ our only Sovereign and Lord.
Why are you using other books to prove John is being ignored? How do you know John is being ignored? I think you are making a controversy that does not exist. After all the most widely read and talked about book is Revelation, John being the author.
Blessings

Upvote 0

timewerx

the village i--o--t--
Aug 31, 2012
✟299,820.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Why are you using other books to prove John is being ignored? How do you know John is being ignored? I think you are making a controversy that does not exist. After all the most widely read and talked about book is Revelation, John being the author.
Blessings

Note that I have scarcely discussed about Revelation in this entire thread.

I am only concerned about the Book of John and the epistles of John.

Christians are also bitterly divided over the interpretion of Revelation. That's another issue that deserves its own thread.

Upvote 0

New Birth

Jan 18, 2019
Vicksburg
✟22,877.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oneness
Marital Status
Married

Christians are also bitterly divided over the interpretion of Revelation. That's another issue that deserves its own thread.
I may have missed it but what evidence do you produce to support the claim that the Book of John and epistles of John are ignored among Christian Churches?

Upvote 0

BNR32FAN

He’s a Way of life
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2017
Dallas
✟888,644.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
If John the Beloved was the beloved and most trusted of Christ who didn't mind his writing down their work....

Furthermore, the chronological order of the New Testament places the Books and Epistles of John as the last written books of the New Testament, making it the "last word" on Christ's Gospel.....In addition to confirming the teachings of the Book of James who coincidentally happens to be the first written book of NT (chronological order).

Then why has those books received the least importance in the Christian religion? The least preached in churches? Worse, the context of those books received less (even probably the least) importance than the others.

It doesn't follow sound reasoning the one most favored by the Christ, set the last word, and confirmed the first book of NT would be given the least importance in our religion....

Why, why why? Deceived we all are? Refusing to acknowledge truth? Was Christ right, only FEW will find the way which leads to life?

I don’t see John’s gospel, epistles or Revelation being held of any lesser importance or value than the other writings. Actually I think his are probably the most quoted. Very few Christians aren’t familiar with John 3:16. Probably one of the most famous and most commonly used quotes from the NT.

Upvote 0

BNR32FAN

He’s a Way of life
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2017
Dallas
✟888,644.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

The gospel of John is often recommended as the best book to start a bible study class with because of his references to the beginning before creation and Jesus’ role in creation. I think John is probably my personal favorite gospel.

Upvote 0

CaspianSails

Jan 30, 2019
Washington DC metro area
✟27,746.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
If John the Beloved was the beloved and most trusted of Christ who didn't mind his writing down their work....

Furthermore, the chronological order of the New Testament places the Books and Epistles of John as the last written books of the New Testament, making it the "last word" on Christ's Gospel.....In addition to confirming the teachings of the Book of James who coincidentally happens to be the first written book of NT (chronological order).

Then why has those books received the least importance in the Christian religion? The least preached in churches? Worse, the context of those books received less (even probably the least) importance than the others.

It doesn't follow sound reasoning the one most favored by the Christ, set the last word, and confirmed the first book of NT would be given the least importance in our religion....

Why, why why? Deceived we all are? Refusing to acknowledge truth? Was Christ right, only FEW will find the way which leads to life?

I had to think after reading your post exactly what your issue is with the church and John's writings. Should they get more importance than other books? If so, why? If you believe as the Bible states, in 2 Timothy 3:16 that ALL scripture is given by inspiration of God and is profitable....., why would John's writings be more important or less important? Personally I like John's writings. They are succinct and cover a lot of ground. I have been serving the Lord now for all but five decades and I have heard many sermons from the writings of John and taught and preached many from there myself. Maybe it is where you are. But to your point of importance, I have to take issue with that as will many. Maybe volunteer, if you are ready, to teach some classes in your church from the books of John. Be a humble servant of Christ.

Upvote 0

timewerx

the village i--o--t--
Aug 31, 2012
✟299,820.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
If so, why? If you believe as the Bible states, in 2 Timothy 3:16 that ALL scripture is given by inspiration of God and is profitable....

True but that verse doesn't go down to the dirty details.

Other scriptures require different approach than the others like greater understanding and greater care/discernment

For example: 2 Peter 3:16 (concerning Paul's letters):
He writes the same way in all his letters, speaking in them of these matters. His letters contain some things that are hard to understand, which ignorant and unstable people distort, as they do the other Scriptures, to their own destruction.

If most Christians have the wrong interpretation (or divided over their interpretations) of the Gospels generally-speaking, that won't be profitable wouldn't it?

Upvote 0

Athanasius377

Out of the deep I called unto thee O Lord
Site Supporter
Apr 22, 2017
Cincinnati
✟707,493.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
On top of that, in the traditional Latin Catholic liturgy, John 1:1-14 is afaik read at every mass.
This is true, it's called "The Last Gospel" and is said immediately following the priest's blessing. I used to serve at Mass in an SSPV chapel years ago.

Reactions: Radagast
Upvote 0

Radagast

comes and goes
Site Supporter
Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
This is true, it's called "The Last Gospel" and is said immediately following the priest's blessing. I used to serve at Mass in an SSPV chapel years ago.

AFAIK, until the twelfth century, the mass ended at the words "ite, missa est," and the "last gospel" was a private devotion by the priest afterwards. However, it gradually came to be considered part of the mass itself.

• Agree
Reactions: Athanasius377
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

CaspianSails

Jan 30, 2019
Washington DC metro area
✟27,746.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Other scriptures require different approach than the others like greater understanding and greater care/discernment

He writes the same way in all his letters, speaking in them of these matters. His letters contain some things that are hard to understand, which ignorant and unstable people distort, as they do the other Scriptures, to their own destruction.

If most Christians have the wrong interpretation (or divided over their interpretations) of the Gospels generally-speaking, that won't be profitable wouldn't it?

I am not certain how it is that if some read into scripture what they want to see it makes 2 Timothy 3:16 irrelevant or invaluable or untrue. I stand by the verse and what it says as well as the verse you quote in 2 Peter. Your objection, which has been refuted by a number of respondents is that churches or ministers or Christians shy away from the writings of John. That is your perspective. The point of Timothy is that all scripture is relevant and the complete writings need to be taken into account when forming any interpretation. I refute you reply regarding Timothy to be of no consequence based on Peters comments as they are not oppositional but reinforce one another.

Upvote 0

Hazelelponi

:sighing:
Site Supporter
Jun 25, 2018
USA
✟691,108.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

but if you notice - and you quoted it but neglected it's import - how the verse ends.

and regard the patience of our Lord as salvation; just as also our beloved brother Paul, according to the wisdom given him, wrote to you, as also in all his letters, speaking in them of these things, in which are some things hard to understand, which the untaught and unstable distort, as they do also the rest of the Scriptures, to their own destruction.

Here it's pointed out people distort not only Paul's writing, but all of scripture.

Are you saying that because it can be distorted scripture is not profitable? Because if you are scripture disagrees with your analysis.

• Agree
Reactions: CaspianSails
Upvote 0