Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
In the Liturgical churches (Catholic, Methodist, Anglican, and a few others), the 3-year rotation of Sunday readings focuses on Matthew for Year A, Mark for Year B, and Luke for Year C. John is emphasized during the Easter season every year.

One of the main advantages of the Liturgy of the Word being carried out in such a way, is that it makes it impossible to only focus on certain parts of the Bible. If a Catholic goes to Mass every day, then every 3 years, he reads almost the entire Bible.

Further reading: Liturgy

God be with you & all the churches.

Upvote 0

timewerx

the village i--o--t--
Aug 31, 2012
✟299,720.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
False.

Like I said, roughly 10% of Scripture references in Wayne Grudem's Systematic Theology are from John. Ditto for Charles Hodge's Systematic Theology.

Context is also very important and often verses taken from John are recieved in the wrong context.

Take for example, John 3:16. Very popular verse of John but only few knows about John 14:12 which sets the right context for that verse.

Many thinks that John 10:10 is also talking about material wealth or abundance which is false. Nothing to do with material wealth at all based on John Chapter 6.

And the assumption that Jesus is popular and that salvation is totaly free and easy and everyone would love to hear it if only they can be convinced it is true. Which is also not true according to John Chapter 6.

And finally, John chapter 8. No comment needed for that one.

Upvote 0

Zetetica

Jan 2, 2019
Canada
✟19,625.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
If John the Beloved was the beloved and most trusted of Christ who didn't mind his writing down their work....

Furthermore, the chronological order of the New Testament places the Books and Epistles of John as the last written books of the New Testament, making it the "last word" on Christ's Gospel.....In addition to confirming the teachings of the Book of James who coincidentally happens to be the first written book of NT (chronological order).

Then why has those books received the least importance in the Christian religion? The least preached in churches? Worse, the context of those books received less (even probably the least) importance than the others.

It doesn't follow sound reasoning the one most favored by the Christ, set the last word, and confirmed the first book of NT would be given the least importance in our religion....

Why, why why? Deceived we all are? Refusing to acknowledge truth? Was Christ right, only FEW will find the way which leads to life?
Matthew 19:30 KJV
But many that are first shall be last; and the last shall be first.

Upvote 0

Radagast

comes and goes
Site Supporter
Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
In the Liturgical churches (Catholic, Methodist, Anglican, and a few others), the 3-year rotation of Sunday readings focuses on Matthew for Year A, Mark for Year B, and Luke for Year C. John is emphasized during the Easter season every year.

On top of that, in the traditional Latin Catholic liturgy, John 1:1-14 is afaik read at every mass.

Upvote 0

d taylor

Oct 16, 2018
Mississippi
✟251,422.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Concerning belief according to John:

John 14:12
Very truly I tell you, whoever believes in me will do the works I have been doing, and they will do even greater things than these, because I am going to the Father.

That confirms James teaching that "faith without works is dead".

A believer lets their faith die, yes that can happen but they do not lose their eternal life they received when they trusted in The Messiah for His gift of eternal life.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

MikeT-NYC

Dec 31, 2018
Staten Island
✟15,926.00
Country
United States
Faith
Episcopalian
Marital Status
Single
If John the Beloved was the beloved and most trusted of Christ who didn't mind his writing down their work....

Furthermore, the chronological order of the New Testament places the Books and Epistles of John as the last written books of the New Testament, making it the "last word" on Christ's Gospel.....In addition to confirming the teachings of the Book of James who coincidentally happens to be the first written book of NT (chronological order).

Then why has those books received the least importance in the Christian religion? The least preached in churches? Worse, the context of those books received less (even probably the least) importance than the others.

It doesn't follow sound reasoning the one most favored by the Christ, set the last word, and confirmed the first book of NT would be given the least importance in our religion....

Why, why why? Deceived we all are? Refusing to acknowledge truth? Was Christ right, only FEW will find the way which leads to life?

Upvote 0

StephenDiscipleofYHWH

Jul 11, 2018
Ransom county
✟69,666.00
Country
United States
Faith
Apostolic
Marital Status
Single

Growing up I never noticed any bias towards one book or another(though I never attended a lot of different Churches). Every book was taught from using the full word of God/bible. When I discuss the Word of God, or when I preach I use James and John quite often. So I wouldn't say James and John are the books that receive the Least importance in the Christian faith, or the least preached in Churches(but again I cannot speak for all the Churches in the world).

Yes only few will find the way which leads to life(Matt 7:14) and fewer still will walk that way/path until the end.

Reactions: timewerx
Upvote 0

MikeT-NYC

Dec 31, 2018
Staten Island
✟15,926.00
Country
United States
Faith
Episcopalian
Marital Status
Single
Where did you get the "chronological order" of the New Testament books that you're talking about? According to Wikipedia, James isn't the oldest book (or anywhere near it). Revelation may be the newest one, but it's not written by the same person who wrote the Gospel of John and the letters of John. Their styles in Greek are totally different. "John" is and was a common name, then and now.

Upvote 0

All4Christ

✙ The Handmaid of God Laura ✙
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
Mar 11, 2003
PA
Visit site
✟1,021,360.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married

In the Orthodox Church, John is one of the most important writings in Scripture. In fact, it is one of the four books of the Bible that are located on the altar table. Matthew, Mark and Luke are the synoptic gospels. John brings a different light to the gospel. Each gospel has its own unique characteristics that is brought to Scripture, and they are all needed. John, however, has a special place in Scripture.

From my experience, your claim that John gets the least level of importance in Christianity is not accurate, at least in the larger context of Christianity.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

timewerx

the village i--o--t--
Aug 31, 2012
✟299,720.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
People who are obsessed with the Anti-Christ and the End Times read Revelation a lot.

Another Book that deserves special attention, not meant for everyone.

If I had a dream / vision like that from the future, I'd probably be very confused!

Just like Apostle Peter said how some have misinterpreted the teachings of Paul and how arrogant we are with the presumption we understand with clarity what Paul or the entire NT is teaching.

It proves the arrogance of many when overwhelming evidence of having many denominations and many Christians who claim to have the Holy Spirit and wisdom and yet, disagree on many topics in NT.

Upvote 0

timewerx

the village i--o--t--
Aug 31, 2012
✟299,720.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
In the Orthodox Church, John is one of the most important writings in Scripture. In fact, it is one of the four books of the Bible that are located on the altar table. Matthew, Mark and Luke are the synoptic gospels. John brings a different light to the gospel. Each gospel has its own unique characteristics that is brought to Scripture, and they are all needed. John, however, has a special place in Scripture.

From my experience, your claim that John gets the least level of importance in Christianity is not accurate, at least in the larger context of Christianity.

I've been a Pentecostal, Evangelical, and Baptist mostly throughout my life as a Christian.

John is my favorite book in the Bible, however, the actions of many Christians show, they have the least knowledge of its teachings.

Upvote 0

DamianWarS

Follower of Isa Al Masih
Site Supporter
May 15, 2008
✟858,457.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

I'm not so sure I agree with your ranking scripture and putting John at the top. leaving that aside what exactly is being neglected from the Johannine texts? Ask if John was never born what would Christianity look like? From the top of my head, without John, I think the divinity of Christ would become far more debated and a controversial topic. There is John 1 which is central to the establishing the divinity of Christ but even the exclamation of Thomas is from John's account and arguably the Johannine Comma. These are key pieces of Christ's divinity and without them, I'm not so sure it would be a core value of the Chruch.

Upvote 0