Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
Since the upgrade I've noticed that I have to re-ignore people at times or else I will see their content. Just the other day I had a person on ignore post in a thread of mine that they are not suppose to be able to see, so it's obvious that the function is not working that way either.

I just wanted to bring this to the staff's attention.

Upvote 0

ARBITER01

Legend
Aug 12, 2007
✟161,131.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
Just to say, ignore doesn't work like facebook. If you place someone on ignore, they can still see your content.
If I remember right, part of the ignore feature was the ability to block the person from seeing your specific content, not just you not seeing them. It is meant to defeat harassment somewhat.

Upvote 0

Gregory Thompson

Change is inevitable, feel free to spare some.
Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟721,286.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
If I remember right, part of the ignore feature was the ability to block the person from seeing your specific content, not just you not seeing them. It is meant to defeat harassment somewhat.
That would be a new feature I wasn't aware of. I asked for this some time ago, and was advised it only blocks you from seeing their content.

Upvote 0

ARBITER01

Legend
Aug 12, 2007
✟161,131.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
That would be a new feature I wasn't aware of. I asked for this some time ago, and was advised it only blocks you from seeing their content.
It was my understanding that they cannot contact you through message or see your posts, but maybe I'm misinformed on this.

Upvote 0

Gregory Thompson

Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟721,286.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
It was my understanding that they cannot contact you through message or see your posts, but maybe I'm misinformed on this.
They cannot see your blog if you implement the correct restrictions, but they can see your public posts. They also cannot send you messages. This is my understanding, but if it has been improved in my ignorance, I don't mind.

Upvote 0

ARBITER01

Legend
Aug 12, 2007
✟161,131.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
They cannot see your blog if you implement the correct restrictions, but they can see your public posts. They also cannot send you messages. This is my understanding, but if it has been improved in my ignorance, I don't mind.
Currently, if one of the individuals on my ignore list makes a thread, I won't see it unless I un-ignore them. I suppose the opposite is true in regards to not seeing my threads and posts?!?

Upvote 0

Ceallaigh

Veritas Vos Liberabit
Supporter
Oct 2, 2020
The Keep
✟571,281.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
People I have on ignore see and reply to my threads and posts. But I only see that if I click on "show ignored content" at the bottom of the page. As far as I recall that was the case before and after the upgrade.

Upvote 0

Gregory Thompson

Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟721,286.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Currently, if one of the individuals on my ignore list makes a thread, I won't see it unless I un-ignore them. I suppose the opposite is true in regards to not seeing my threads and posts?!?
If I ignore someone, they will see my threads. And after the first post, I will see all responses except theirs.

Upvote 0

ARBITER01

Legend
Aug 12, 2007
✟161,131.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
People I have on ignore see and reply to my threads and posts. But I only see that if I click on "show ignored content" at the bottom of the page. As far as I recall that was the case before and after the upgrade.
If I ignore someone, they will see my threads. And after the first post, I will see all responses except theirs.

Well I guess that sort of defeats the purpose of it doesn't it?

I know in one case I had to specifically state to the person, in front of the sub-forum, that I didn't want any further contact from them, and addressed their activities to the mods as harassment (of which they were). That was the only way I got that person to shut up.

I don't know, maybe they are unable to structure the code that way.

Upvote 0

Ceallaigh

Veritas Vos Liberabit
Supporter
Oct 2, 2020
The Keep
✟571,281.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Well I guess that sort of defeats the purpose of it doesn't it?

I know in one case I had to specifically state to the person, in front of the sub-forum, that I didn't want any further contact from them, and addressed their activities to the mods as harassment (of which they were). That was the only way I got that person to shut up.

I don't know, maybe they are unable to structure the code that way.
I've never known of a forum that had an ignore system beyond what this forum has. Personally I put people on ignore because I don't want to read what they have to say. I think usually when someone gets no replies from someone, they give up trying.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ARBITER01

Legend
Aug 12, 2007
✟161,131.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
I've never known of a forum that had an ignore system beyond what this forum has. Personally I put people on ignore because I don't want to read what they have to say. I think usually when someone gets no replies from someone, they give up trying.
Well,.... some people tend to get into a sort of campaign mode against others at times, especially those of differing views. I normally post in the Spirit-filled section, and with it being open to other denominations and faith groups, there can be some healthy rivalry at times, but it can get vindictive it seems.

I've been here since 2005. I normally would agree with just ignoring a person and moving on, but if it ventures over into harassment, I think the site ought to have some better tools available to counter that. Just my opinion.

Upvote 0

Gregory Thompson

Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟721,286.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
if it ventures over into harassment, I think the site ought to have some better tools available to
I recall being harassed by a NAR heresy hunter in previous years. I would agree that something needs to be available if harassment is happening.

• Agree
Reactions: ARBITER01
Upvote 0

Ceallaigh

Veritas Vos Liberabit
Supporter
Oct 2, 2020
The Keep
✟571,281.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Well,.... some people tend to get into a sort of campaign mode against others at times, especially those of differing views. I normally post in the Spirit-filled section, and with it being open to other denominations and faith groups, there can be some healthy rivalry at times, but it can get vindictive it seems.

I've been here since 2005. I normally would agree with just ignoring a person and moving on, but if it ventures over into harassment, I think the site ought to have some better tools available to counter that. Just my opinion.
Not that I'm disagreeing with you, but the only other option most anywhere is the report function as far as harassment goes. There is a thing called shadow banning, where no one except the person making the posts and staff can see them. But I'm not sure if any site has selective shadow banning where only certain people can't read your posts.

Upvote 0

Ceallaigh

Veritas Vos Liberabit
Supporter
Oct 2, 2020
The Keep
✟571,281.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I recall being harassed by a NAR heresy hunter in previous years. I would agree that something needs to be available if harassment is happening.
What about reporting it?

Also if you're going to post about something regarded as heresy you're going to get harassed. I've spent time in threads about universalism, and there's one person in particular who relentlessly harangues the universalists, which I greatly dislike, but I acknowledge that he does have the right to post his objections. And there's nothing the staff can or should do about it, other than nailing him for violating rules, if any actual violations occur.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Gregory Thompson

Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟721,286.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
What about reporting it?

Also if you're going to post about something regarded as heresy you're going to get harassed. I've spent time in threads about universalism, and there's one person in particular who relentlessly harangues the universalists, which I greatly dislike, but I acknowledge that he does have the right to post his objections. And there's nothing the staff can or should do about it, other than nailing him for violating rules, if any actual violations occur.
I did report it, but that process works too slowly.

They are no longer on the site, but the words they were allowed to post in the meantime did their damage.

Generally, with those types, you report it then take a hiatus from the site for a while.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums