✟12,215.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Widowed
It begins with 'godly sorrow...'
Not to be rude but what is Godly sorrow? An honest question. Sometimes the catch phrases and platitudes of modern evangelicism drive me nuts. They appear to say nothing.
Heres how I was saved: my wife desired to leave me for awhile. The winter before shed even had an abortion ( we already had two kids). That afternoon she gave me her wedding ring and took the kids to visit a friend. I sat on the bed and realised I could no longer control reality and events by drinking and doing drugs. I then realised I was the same as the people I despised! Did all the same things. They did it in the open, I tried toconceal it. I even participated with them on occasion. My whole being was stripped bare. Nothing left. I knew I had 3 choices. One was suicide. Too chicken as my guns were at my dads house and every other method seemed slow and painfull. Second was go to town and get some alcohol drink it and let it all blow over. Only had enough cash to get gas. Couldve gotton bottle but Id be walking home. Third was, I didnt know! I said “or, or what? At that second it felt like a gaint suction pulled all this black and nasty somthing out of me and I saw a Bible in my minds eye while the knowledge flooded me that it was alltrue. Even though Id never read but tiny pieces I jumped up and was saying over and over “ Holy €$*#! Its true”. At that instant the need to drink, drug, use inappropriate content, listen to punk & other music, paint (art), and a dozen other behaviours were removed. They became a choice, not a compulsion. I know the Holy Spirit entered me at that point. I heard a boice say “Bill you never have to feel like that again” ( some argue cause Iv never spoken tongues) ( nor desire). When my wife came home I was a new person. I was floating with joy for months. She left me & the kids anyhow.
My problem with modern Christian formulas for salvation is saying a prayer and at an alter call and your home free. The J. W.s as well as Baptists said it was just emotions. No, I EXPERIENCED salvation. There is a difference. Our emotions are formed by experience. That was thirty yrs ago. IDK. I here the cliches but so few really changed. Maybe I answered my own question.

Upvote 0

redleghunter

Thank You Jesus!
Site Supporter
Mar 18, 2014
Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Not to be rude but what is Godly sorrow? An honest question. Sometimes the catch phrases and platitudes of modern evangelicism drive me nuts. They appear to say nothing.
It's actually in 2 Corinthians 7...
For godly sorrow produces repentance to salvation, which brings no regret. But the sorrow of the world produces death. (2 Corinthians 7:10)

Good explanation here:

https://www.gotquestions.org/godly-sorrow.html

Upvote 0

redleghunter

Thank You Jesus!
Site Supporter
Mar 18, 2014
Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Heres how I was saved: my wife desired to leave me for awhile. The winter before shed even had an abortion ( we already had two kids). That afternoon she gave me her wedding ring and took the kids to visit a friend. I sat on the bed and realised I could no longer control reality and events by drinking and doing drugs. I then realised I was the same as the people I despised! Did all the same things. They did it in the open, I tried toconceal it. I even participated with them on occasion. My whole being was stripped bare. Nothing left. I knew I had 3 choices. One was suicide. Too chicken as my guns were at my dads house and every other method seemed slow and painfull. Second was go to town and get some alcohol drink it and let it all blow over. Only had enough cash to get gas. Couldve gotton bottle but Id be walking home. Third was, I didnt know! I said “or, or what? At that second it felt like a gaint suction pulled all this black and nasty somthing out of me and I saw a Bible in my minds eye while the knowledge flooded me that it was alltrue. Even though Id never read but tiny pieces I jumped up and was saying over and over “ Holy €$*#! Its true”. At that instant the need to drink, drug, use inappropriate content, listen to punk & other music, paint (art), and a dozen other behaviours were removed. They became a choice, not a compulsion. I know the Holy Spirit entered me at that point. I heard a boice say “Bill you never have to feel like that again” ( some argue cause Iv never spoken tongues) ( nor desire). When my wife came home I was a new person. I was floating with joy for months. She left me & the kids anyhow.
My problem with modern Christian formulas for salvation is saying a prayer and at an alter call and your home free. The J. W.s as well as Baptists said it was just emotions. No, I EXPERIENCED salvation. There is a difference. Our emotions are formed by experience. That was thirty yrs ago. IDK. I here the cliches but so few really changed. Maybe I answered my own question.
It is sad people don't share much their testimony as you did brother. You experienced God's Grace which is the miracle of being born again.

Upvote 0

Ovlov90

Dec 7, 2017
Napanoch
✟12,215.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Widowed
Upvote 0

Ovlov90

Dec 7, 2017
Napanoch
✟12,215.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Widowed
It is sad people don't share much their testimony as you did brother. You experienced God's Grace which is the miracle of being born again.
You bet! I also wish more would share. In hindsight I see a long line of events, spanning years, that led to that day. And since, His care and protection. The tale I could tell! But its mot about me. Maybe at a later time. Its far from over! I thought the ultimate ending was when I recieved a heart and kidney transplant 8yrs ago. Nope. Just another chapter. So much more since! People in the world look at it as atale of woe. But its an adventure. He wasnt kidding about a life more abundant! Back to OP. Im still pondering Godly sorrow as it related to my salvation. I can see where it has lead to changes in myself since ie; “ work out your salvation w/ fear and trembling....” Its an ongoing process. Growth. Milk to meat. I guess worldly sorrow builds defense mechanisms. Godly sorrow allows me to move on with Him as my protection.

Reactions: redleghunter
Upvote 0

redleghunter

Thank You Jesus!
Site Supporter
Mar 18, 2014
Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
You bet! I also wish more would share. In hindsight I see a long line of events, spanning years, that led to that day. And since, His care and protection.

You would be a good addition to "exploring Christianity" sub forum here. We get many struggling with what's going on in their lives and why things happen. Your testimony might just add to the booster shot people need to get "over themselves." The prayer wall is another good site to contribute.

The tale I could tell! But its mot about me. Maybe at a later time. Its far from over! I thought the ultimate ending was when I recieved a heart and kidney transplant 8yrs ago. Nope. Just another chapter.

Indeed. You can share with me via PM anytime you want. I love to 'rap' with fellow pilgrims sojourning in this 'unholy land.' You indeed have a testimony and challenges which when hitting rock bottom know relying on The Rock is the best place to be. How wonderful is it that even in our failures our Almighty God turns such into situations to present His Gospel and thus Glorify Him.

Upvote 0

redleghunter

Thank You Jesus!
Site Supporter
Mar 18, 2014
Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Christ was resurrected on the third day according to the scriptures. What scriptures?

1Co 15:4 And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures:

For something as powerful as the Gospel, why do not the theologians mention these scriptures? Shouldn't they be at the forefront of the doctrine of Christ? The present day Gospel is no gospel at all but an empty box of nothing! Fake news, seems one hears a lot of that these days.

What Scriptures from the OT point to the Resurrection of Christ?

Jesus gave us the sign of Jonah which explains the three days:

Now the Lord provided a huge fish to swallow Jonah, and Jonah was in the belly of the fish three days and three nights. (Jonah 1:17)

For as Jonas was three days and three nights in the whale's belly; so shall the Son of man be three days and three nights in the heart of the earth. (Matthew 12:40)

We have from David the Messianic prophecy that the Holy One would not see decay.

For thou wilt not leave my soul in hell; neither wilt thou suffer thine Holy One to see corruption. (Psalm 16:10)

If you read on in 1 Corinthians 15 where Paul earlier makes the statement "according to the scriptures" in verse 4, he goes on in verse 23 to say this:

But every man in his own order: Christ the firstfruits; afterward they that are Christ's at his coming. (1 Corinthians 15:23)
This is a reference to the Feast of First Fruits. Which most theologians will agree is the same day as the Resurrection of Jesus Christ.

Even though most point to Isaiah 53 as the suffering servant and showing the torture and death of Christ, many forget this portion:

Yet it pleased Yahweh to bruise him.
He has caused him to suffer.
When you make his soul an offering for sin,
he will see his offspring.
He will prolong his days,
and Yahweh’s pleasure will prosper in his hand.

11 After the suffering of his soul,
he will see the light and be satisfied.

My righteous servant will justify many by the knowledge of himself;
and he will bear their iniquities.
12 Therefore will I give him a portion with the great,
and he will divide the plunder with the strong;
because he poured out his soul to death,
and was numbered with the transgressors;
yet he bore the sin of many,
and made intercession for the transgressors.
(Isaiah 53:10-12)

These are just some of the types, shadows and prophecies the apostles drew off of to boldly proclaim "according to the scriptures."

Upvote 0