Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
"The things you have learned and received and heard and seen in me, practice these things, and the God of peace will be with you.". --Philippians 4

Centuries ago, there lived a Spanish man named Ignatius. His life story is one filled with the vanities of the world, then giving in to God's will, with spectacular results.

Ignatian spirituality is something I've found very helpful, and I came across a website dedicated to helping people connect with God in a similar way as Ignatius did.

This is a video that discusses finding God in everything: The Ignatian Way #3: Finding God in All Things

This is an article of finding God in creativity: Creativity and the Ignatian Spirit - Ignatian Spirituality

This article discusses 3 kinds of humility: Three Kinds of Humility - Ignatian Spirituality

One aspect of Ignatian spirituality that has really helped me is how Ignatius decided between doing great things for himself (as a knight) and great things for God (as a preacher). He'd spend the day daydreaming about the glories of knighthood, and at the end of the day, he'd feel a lot of anxiety. Other days, he'd daydream about being a priest, and at the end of the day, he'd feel happy & peaceful. Since peace comes with being with the Spirit, it made sense that the idea that brought him peace was what God wanted for him.

Please take some time to explore this method of spirituality, and pray for God to guide us all along the path He so graciously made for us!

Teach us, good Lord,
to serve you as you deserve,
to give and not to count the cost,
to fight and not to heed the wounds,
to toil and not to seek for rest,
to labour and not to ask for any reward,
save that of knowing that we do your will.

Amen.

Last edited:

com7fy8

May 22, 2013
Massachusetts
✟586,471.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Other days, he'd daydream about being a priest, and at the end of the day, he'd feel happy & peaceful.
I think it could work better if we do not commit to or test anything until first we are in God's peace, then see what God has us thinking in His peace, and how He has us seeing things in His peace.

Upvote 0

Unofficial Reverand Alex

Pray in silence...God speaks softly
Site Supporter
Dec 22, 2017
The Mystical Lands of Rural Indiana
Visit site
✟526,763.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
I think it could work better if we do not commit to or test anything until first we are in God's peace, then see what God has us thinking in His peace, and how He has us seeing things in His peace.
That's another good method; I've found what you're suggesting to work better for small decisions (what will I do today?), and Ignatius' method to work better for larger decisions (what job should I look for this summer?). At least that's how it works for me, either way seems equally valid.

May God bless us all with peace through our discernment!

Upvote 0

com7fy8

May 22, 2013
Massachusetts
✟586,471.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
That's another good method; I've found what you're suggesting to work better for small decisions (what will I do today?), and Ignatius' method to work better for larger decisions (what job should I look for this summer?). At least that's how it works for me, either way seems equally valid.
I find that even by the moment, we can submit to what God has us doing in His peace, discovering what He has us doing, even by the moment. But yes I do in prayer get an idea of what the day will be. And each little thing can be adding up to bring us to the bigger things, including what I do not see coming.

But, yes, I would say there are commitments we make, and these of course obligate us to longer-term decisions. I have not promised, but there are things I keep doing with people, on a schedule. I try to do more and better than what I could have promised, since, I understand, God will have us doing better than what we can make up and hope for.

But little things can bring us into a commitment which we did not see coming. We might just discover where God has brought us. I think this can happen in relationships, for example when a couple has been sharing casually but then become surprised to realize that they are meant for marriage.

A different thing is I never would have my own dog, because it would take time and money and attention to the doggie's emotional needs . . . taking my attention quite away from staying attentive to God and caring for people. But, yes, a dog can be enjoyable plus useful in ministering, even so. But I was not being taken that way.

But . . . I got with my lady friend, and got quite in sharing with her, including helping her to help people - - and help to walk disabled people's doggies. So, I wound up with more than one dog, but by a sort of adoption in which I could be free of them at any time.

And then a disabled woman left a dog to my lady friend. So, I've gotten one, anyway . . . not by making a commitment, but by things adding up. But at any time I can let go of "the baby" to do whatever else I have to do. But I help her with time and attention and paying for things, and at times I use him to visit in a nursing home.

And this is better than me being isolated in my place with a dog. There is more of an all-loving way. And yes God does guide us according to not only our own plan in isolation, but He has His overall all-loving blessing which He is doing, including and coordinating us . . . in the ruling of His peace with His overall perspective.

Last edited:
Upvote 0