• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.

If your party piece is wearing Black Face, politics might not be for you.

Discussion in 'American Politics' started by Goonie, Sep 19, 2019.

1. Goonie

Goonie Not so Mystic Mog. Supporter

+6,404
    United Kingdom
    Atheist
    Single
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
    We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. Rene Loup

Rene Loup A saved wolf among sheep. Supporter

+12,553
    Canada
    Christian
    Private
    I'm no fan of Trudeau but the Arabian Nights incident happened 18 years ago. It was more or less a product of its time considering the attitudes toward the Middle East around that time.

I think cancel culture has reached to such an extreme that even national leaders are being affected by it.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  3. ~Zao~

~Zao~ Psalm 5:11 Supporter

+896
    Canada
    Christian
    Private
    ‘This Hour has 22 Minutes’ that have tons of messy behaviour from Trudeau. He never tried to walk a tightrope until becoming a prime minister. I don’t think it reflects his politics.

4. Aldebaran

Aldebaran Star Power!

+5,681
    Non-Denom
    Single
    It's a shame that people are judged by today's standards for decades-ago actions, especially actions that have nothing to do with anything they do today. If time travel were possible and we were able to bring people from 150 years ago to the current time to run for office, those people would be lynched, which says something about how righteous we believe we are now as a society, when in fact it is simply being ultra-judgemental.

5. GoldenBoy89

GoldenBoy89 We're Still Here

+15,557
    Humanist
    Single
    US-Democrat
    Seems like an overreaction to me.

6. wing2000

wing2000 E pluribus unum Supporter

+6,140
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    And noting that Trudeau (or Canadian politics in general) doesn't make the news here in the US except for "issues" such as this...but that's par for the course.

7. Blade

Blade Veteran Supporter

+1,674
    Christian
    Married
    "talk about the past like its the present tho" song playing as I read the 1st post by NF (Christian)

8. public hermit

public hermit Well-Known Member Supporter

+805
    United States
    Christian
    Single
    US-Others
    So many people are merciless these days. We're trying to heal old, festering wounds by destroying people. Strange.

9. hislegacy

hislegacy This is me.

+7,307
    United States
    Charismatic
    Married
    US-Others
    It is a good picture of how ridiculous things have gotten. It was a costume event and he went in character.

Stupidity at its zenith.

10. OldWiseGuy

OldWiseGuy Wake me when it's soup. Supporter

+6,729
    United States
    Protestant
    Single
    US-Others
    Did he darken his face to mock a certain ethnicity or merely to get in character for an event. Seems to me it's no different than a white-face sniper darkening his face in order to do his assignment.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2019
  11. SoldierOfTheKing

SoldierOfTheKing Christian Spenglerian

+2,171
    United States
    Presbyterian
    Married
    Number of times Trump went blackface: 0

But if he had, this might be reason to give him a pass.

12. ThatRobGuy

ThatRobGuy Programmer Extraordinaire Supporter

+7,819
    United States
    Atheist
    Single
    US-Others
    Yep, it seems to work out that way...

Unless it's a story that allows die-hard conservatives to use the narrative "see! Look! Liberals are actually the racists!", it doesn't get much attention.

GOP can make policies that cripple the minority communities for decades, but they'll zero in on an isolated incident (that didn't impact anyone in any meaningful way whatsoever) and somehow use that to prove that "the other side are actually the racists"

13. ThatRobGuy

+7,819
    United States
    Atheist
    Single
    US-Others
    If you ask the minority community which one is more damaging, wearing blackface to a costume party, or promoting policies that hurt the entire community (like cutting social safety nets that disproportionately impact minority communities and engaging in housing discrimination), which one do you suspect they'd say?

14. ThatRobGuy

+7,819
    United States
    Atheist
    Single
    US-Others
    Political Strategy:

If Trudeau says "it was just a locker room costume", it'll probably be alright and 'won't count'

15. Ana the Ist

Ana the Ist Aggressively serene!

+5,638
    United States
    Atheist
    Married
    You do realize that NYT, WAPO, and CNN are all running stories and opinion pieces calling him various degrees of racist?

As well as further left outlets.